A surprise visit [Closed]

DreamWanderer

A laugh escaped him. "I never said everypony should be like me, not that they could be. No matter how hard they try, it will always be a poor imitation.." he replied smugly, curling a foreleg and resting his chin on it, his red eyes heavy-lidded. Heart Shield's voiced suspicion was enough for Sombra's posture to quickly change as the umbrum put a dark hoof on his own chest, feigning offense.

"You really think that I would try to do you in the moment your back is turned in the dark ruins of an old castle? How dare you suggest I would stoop so low!" Amusement bubbled up near the end of his exclamation and Sombra had to struggle not to let it dissolve into his rumbling laughter. His hoof dropped. "It sickens me to know what sort of assumptions you ponies would leap to all because I'm not, what? An innocent, wide-eyed fool?" A pointed look was given to Heart Shield and Sombra soon dropped his act of mock-offense. There was some truth to his words, but ponies somewhat had a right to be suspicious of him; he viewed many of them as expendable if it meant getting anything that he wanted. Even a deal with a devil like him wouldn't spare them.

"Regardless.. It's been fun this past, what, half hour? I don't think I'd want to do away with you even in a place as secluded and dangerous as the Everfree Forest, not when you're so entertaining. If you're still working here even after we return from that trip, I wouldn't mind doing this again on another day when boredom finds me," King Sombra assured. "Though, mind you this doesn't make us friends."

"Well...I guess you're right.... You are definitely one of a kind...." Heart Shield let out a low chuckle to himself. He grinned just a little bit when he noticed his voice of suspicion seem to get Sombra all riled up. "Sorry I jumped to conclusions, I just can never be to sure Sombra.... I mean a dark ruin of a castle that is probably dangerous enough on its own to its crumbling construction, and dark labyrinths of deteriorating and crumbling corridors and rooms. Not to mention being in the midst of dark forest that many ponies won't dare step a hoof in, It just would all seem to be too perfect of a set up to me." Heart Shield explained his suspicion to Sombra as his mind wandered as he thought about how easy it would be to "lose" somepony in such a secluded place, Surely no pony would step a hoof in the Everfree unless they had to. 

Heart Shield dragged his hoof in boredom for a moment as he glanced around the room, He gave a bit of a surprised look when Sombra mentioned it being a Half hour. "A half hour?.... I guess time flies when your having fun" The winged guard chuckled softly for a moment as he realized how slowly time was moving, It felt like it had been forever. He glanced down again in boredom as a thought spurred to his mind "You know i just remembered, If i wanted to see the two sisters old castle I Could skip the entire Everfree forest by flying over it all..... But i guess that wouldn't be nearly as fun." He rustled his feathers a moment, It would definitely get him there safe, Tho it indeed wouldn't be half as fun. Flying was probably the only thing Heart Shield had that Sombra didn't, Tho he wouldn't doubt Sombra had some kind of trick being a magic pony as he is.

"Well I'm so glad that you care Sombra." Heart Shield put on a sentimental voice chuckling to himself, He knew Sombra wouldn't give two bits about him. He wasn't sure if trying to be humorous around Sombra would save him, or doom him. "Any time" Heart Shield added without thought. He couldn't think of having to see Sombra on a regular basis "Oh, No, I never expected to be" He tried to keep himself from laughing, Thinking about being friends with Sombra. 

"Truly I am, and that isn't a bad thing," Sombra was quick to reply with a lift of his eyebrow, giving Heart Shield a look. Now that he'd gotten his two bits in on the matter, he let it go and focused on the rest of what the guard had to say. "Indeed.. That castle is a hazard for mortals. If anything happens to you in there, it won't be my fault. I may or may not help you. It really depends on my mood at the time," he quietly mused, rubbing at one of his groomed sideburns. They were obviously styled, but it wasn't as if he couldn't smooth it back into place.

"It would be, wouldn't it?" Sombra agreed and shrugged.

"It could've been longer than that for all I know. We've certainly been lurking in this room for what feels like a while." A soft snort escaped the stallion, and there was amusement in the sound. "You probably could, with wings like yours, but.. you'd be leaving poor ol' me behind to traverse the woods all by my lonesome. It wouldn't be fun at all. Isn't a worthy adventure meant to be with other ponies, or however it goes?" He rolled his hoof, gesturing along with what he was saying. If he had to admit anything, not that he would, he might be just a little jealous of those with wings. They were something he would like to have, if just to go out on a few flights with Celestia.

Another snort followed, this one expressing his annoyance with what Heart Shield had uttered. Hardly! This pony meant nothing to him, even if Heart Shield had proved to be very entertaining to push and antagonize. "So what do you say? Will you join me on this little trip to the Two Sisters' castle? It might be fun. Of course, it'll have to wait when I feel like it. After all, I am a bit of a busy stallion."

"Oh Its not a issue, I can see to myself" Heart Shield said in a casual manner. He knew he could figure his way out of just about any issue, But he didn't want to brag himself way over his head, and then get into something he truly couldn't get out of. He definitely would have to come prepared for everything on this trip, Knowing anything about Sombra He would have think as if he was doing this trip alone. "Actually if you don't mind me suggesting, I think there may be a easy way into that castle. If we follow the woods line south of Ponyville, there should a place near where the Bucephalus brook flows through the hills. We could use it to slip into the forest without too much of a fuss, and If memory serves me right looking at the map, It should put us just south of the castle.... Unless you insist other wise" He said as he thought about seeing the map before. Sombra was most likely to want to do it the harder way, But he figured he would at least suggest it.

"I guess that is how it goes." Heart Shield said with a amused tone to his voice. Being in Sombra's company would definitely be annoying, But entertaining in a way he guessed.  "I guess i wouldn't want to leave you behind, Wouldn't want ya gettin' lost now would we?" Heart Shield giggled to himself at the thought. "Of course i will, It sounds like a barrel of fun!" He obliged to Sombra's request. "Busy stallion eh?" Amusement was in his face as he let out a huff trying to contain his laughter at the thought of Sombra being "Busy". 

Sombra grunted and considered what Heart Shield had to suggest about their trip to the Everfree Forest. The Bucephalus Brook.. Looking back on his memory of the map of Equestria he'd seen, they could pass right by, or even through, Ponyville and simply follow the brook towards the bottom edge of the forest, near where the Castle of Two Sisters was sheltered within the trees, on a cliff over a gorge of some kind. Nodding to himself, he found the plan agreeable. If it was any other way, it might've been more of a waste of his valuable time than anything.

"For once, you've said something intelligent." His eyebrows rose with an expression of disbelief, as if it was almost impossible to have thought otherwise. It soon disappeared from face as he gave the gold-armored guard a faint scowl. "If you left me behind I would be very annoyed with you, though I doubt I'd get lost. It wouldn't be hard to find my way if I know where I'm going." The king shrugged and leaned forward, pulling himself to his hooves. He took a moment stretching out his legs after having sat there for so long and stepped away from the cushion he'd been sitting on. He was now standing across from Heart Shield, giving him a quizzical look.

"Of course. I'm busy catching up on everything I've missed over the last thousand years, and spending time with Princess Celestia. She's quite enjoyable to be around, and nothing what you ponies make her out to be." Sombra tilted his head, the corners of his mouth quirking up into a vaguely smug smile. "Regardless, it's nice that you've decided to take me up on my trip. I'll be sure to contact you when I wish to go. You should stick around the castle a while longer so I won't have to hunt you down just to drag you along."

"Well i try i guess" Heart Shield responded to Sombra's remark. He wasn't sure if he should take that as a compliment or not, especially when it was coming from Sombra, He decided he wouldn't ask. "Oh don't worry, I won't leave you behind." He said in calm tone as he glanced over to Sombra as he got up from his seat. Once again Sombra was standing over him, He could only but glance up at Sombra reminding himself just how averaged height he was.  "that is quite a lot of time to catch up on." Heart Shield added as he wore a little bit of a smile, He was hoping that Sombra wouldn't take that long to get back to him. He was a bit disappointed that Sombra had told him to stick around the castle tho. He was hoping he could have went home and got some stuff he wanted to take along on the trip. "Well there was some things i was hoping to grab before i went, but as you wish" Heart Shield said shyly trying not to annoy Sombra. "Well i'll be around here awhile until my shift is over." He glanced down at the golden armor he wore, Being on duty in the guard really didn't give him much of a choice right now tho, whether he wanted to grab some things from home or not.  

Sombra waved Heart Shield's responses away with a hoof, rolling his eyes. "This isn't going to be a later today thing. I only meant so long as you were working in the castle. Within easy reach to me, should the day and time come for me to finally want to get out of the castle for a while so I can explore the ruins of another one." His earlier mention might not have been phrased in just the right way, so hopefully this correction would do. If not, then he'd have to give up on the guard as hopeless in understanding.

"By all means, you still should finish up your shift. You'll have plenty of time afterward to prepare for the eventual trip we'll make out into the Everfree Forest. On whatever day I decide to go. Unless.. you want to go tonight. If you'd like to rush, I suppose I could figure out how to open up my schedule later, but.." Sombra vaguely gestured with a hoof, indicating his uncertainty about doing so. In truth, he could do whatever he wanted at any time if he wanted, it wasn't as if he had any real obligations- not unless Princess Celestia asked him to spend time with her or to join her on some event. He just liked to be difficult.

The red-caped king took a few idle steps towards the doorway to the meeting room, his short black tail giving a little flick. He wasn't going to leave just yet, he wanted to wait and see what Heart Shield's answer would be. When he would want to visit the old castle and when it would be appropriate for the pair of them. Sombra wasn't in too big of a rush to leave, not when he'd gotten so much entertainment out of the royal guard, but what he could do in one sitting was limited.

Heart Shield was relived to hear that it wasn't going to be right away "Oh, I imagine i will be here when your ready then, I was just assuming you meant when my shift was over, but i see now." He replied in a soft voice as he tried to explain "Oh no, I'm in no rush!" Heart Shield said with a bit of a rush. He wasn't one to rush ponies He didn't like being rushed himself "Take your time, When ever your ready, Then so will i be" He said with a smile as he stretched he one leg out a bit to give it a bit of a stretch from standing so long. He glanced over to notice Sombra making his way towards the door before pausing. Heart Shield breathed a sigh of relief. It seemed he would be soon getting some peace and quiet again, A smile returned to his face. "I'm sure it will be a fun time." He knew this trip was bound to have some kind of excitement, Whether it was the fun or dangerous excitement, He just didn't know which. 

Archived