The Cold Sholder (Frozen North) [Attn. RainbowFoxxy]

Skycoaster

A blizzard raged through the frozen north as a unicorn made his way back from his bimonthly supply tip to Yakyakistan. His horn would give off a pale blue glow as the snow seemed to swirl around him. Around his neck was a tattered and worn scarf bearing the older mark and colors of the Royal Equestrian Guard. His mane and tail, though somewhat kept, showed signs that he had been in isolation for may of year. Behind the stallion was a small sled that contained a few crates of food and other supplies needed to get him through for the foreseeable future. 

As Blizzard continued onward to his fortress....if one could call the igloo where he lived that...he would give a sly grin as his horn got brighter and the snowstorm got stronger. He was in his element now. Far enough from civilization where as he could master the spells of snow and ice in the vast frozen wasteland.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

20200120_093406_50.png

Glitter shifted her gaze skyward as she trudged through the drifts. They had been piling up over the past few weeks but...today seemed different. it seemed that more snow was falling than should be. She couldn't quite explain it but something was off with the weather. 

Glitter Drops knew the weather of the frozen north. She knew what to expect and packed her trekking supplies accordingly. Of course one could expect that things of nature would not always play out perfectly. No it wasn't like the unruly skies to do exactly what was expected of them.

"Perhaps it's just an extra draft from the north?" She mused under the thick layer of knit wool that comprised her overly large scarf. The same piece of equipment that had kept her muzzle intact in the frigid conditions time and time again. She always packed extra. Extra food, extra water, extra gear. Even if one could predict one was never right every time. 

"Koda!" She called out the elk hound's name. "Koda heel!" The large dog bounded back from his lead to walk by her side. Glitter felt better with her companion by her side. Koda had kept her from death more times than one. Warm fur for extra insulation on the coldest nights. Senses to alert her before she knew what to expect. She glanced at him, noting the prick to his ears. 

"What's up boy?"

Koda whined a small whine and nudged his nose forward. Glitter did her best to look through the weather to a large snow drift ahead of her. Was that...a unicorn out there? He didn't seem at all prepared for the frigid conditions and she was instantly concerned for the strange pony. Glitter struck out towards the unknown unicorn. 

"Hey!" She called. "Hey there! Are you alright?"

• Like 1

Blizzard would continue on his way, his supplies in tow behind him. “Only a few more miles to go,” he said to himself. The snow was hiding his tracks nicely behind him as he had planned. Last thing he needed was somecreature following him to his...igloo...his home.

The unicorn’s ear would twitch as he heard the distinct sound of a dog bark. He froze in his steps. Last thing he needed was somepony finding him. Before he knew it, a pony began calling out to him. “Oh for Celestia’s sake...” he muttered as his horn dimmed and the raging blizzard would taper off to a flurry. He had to think fast. He didn’t want to draw more attention to himself then need be. He threw on a forced smile and waived a hoof to the approaching mare. “Um, hi.” He would say in an uneasy voice. “Just moving some supplies along.....so...how are you?” 

20200120_093406_50.png

As she neared Glitter eyed the unicorn in front of her. 

"That's odd," She commented to herself as she watched the unicorn's horn glow fade at the same time as the snow storm. Was it possible he was controlling the weather? She'd not met many ponies that weren't pegasi that could control the weather with ease. Seemed this guy could...whoever he was. 

By now Koda was bouncing around the stranger, making sure he was alright. It was one of his jobs when he went out trekking with Glitter Drops. Seek out any possible injuries and alert them to Glitter. As there was nothing amiss with this stallion Koda sufficed for just bounding around him, happy as always to make a new friend. 

"Moving supplies along?" She muttered again while trotting close enough to converse back to him.

"Hey there!" She glanced around at the bleak frozen whiteness surrounding them. "I don't see many other ponies out here this time of year," She glanced towards the sky, her eyes squinting. "Or any time of year really," She eyed the cargo an then stallion again. She could tell he was uneasy, she wasn't sure why.

"Are you um," She glanced about again. They were way too far away from civilization for this to make any sense to her. "Are you camping out here?" She was sure that couldn't be true. Who would want to camp in the wastelands of the frozen north in frigid conditions? And who came out here with no cold weather protection on their body? It was her job as part oft he Royal Arctic Patrol to figure this guy out.

• Like 1

The unicorn would stifle a chuckle. "Camping? No. I have chosen to reside here in the frozen north. It's been...." he paused as he attempted to count the years in his head. "Well, it's been plenty of years since I move here. It's quite and peaceful....Away from distractions and bitter memories..."

Blizzard's horn would cease to glow as the remaining snow fell to the ground like a single sheet. He would adjust his tattered scarf, the only winter protection he had on, inadvertently allowing Glitter see the crest for 'Celestia's School for Gifted Unicrons' on the ends.  As he turned his head, the true extent of the toll the Frozen North had taken on him throughout his years was evident. His mane and coat had become embedded with ice and snow. His eyes where not a normal pony's color, but gray as the winter's sky. He would simply just smile at Koda.

• Like 1

20200120_093406_50.png

Glitter nodded at his response, still looking him over. This guy was an oddity for sure! She was a little surprised she'd never run across him or where ever he lived before. She did roam quite a bit through the frozen north on patrols. However, the area was vast to say the least and there were many areas she'd yet to explore. As he spoke of distractions and bitter memories she looked up into his eyes.

"I get your drift." She raised and eyebrow at him, wondering what sort of memories he was trying to escape. Did every pony who chose life in the tunra had bitter backstories? Were they all just trying to escape? Perhaps. If so this was the perfect place to do so. His secrets were his own, she did not pry. 

Koda wagged his tail happily as Blizzard smiled at him. He gave a short back and came up close to the unicorn. A quick lick and the dog looked at him quizzically. Were ponies supposed to be that cold? The only creatures he'd found at this temperature were those desperately clinging onto life, if not past that. He turned his head to Glitter and gave another short bark. 

"I know I know," She shivered. "We better get moving before the blood freezes up," Glitter nodded to Blizzard. "We can help you with your cargo if you'd like?" She was intent on coming along with him either way, for a little while at least. Had to make sure he really was ok and not covering up any injuries. She wasn't going to let that happen on her watch.

Was that? Was that a school for gifted unicorns emblazon on his scarf? Huh. This guy certainly had a story.  

She glanced towards strange his cold grey eyes. "Gifted unicorn huh?" She nodded to the ends of his scarf and pulled the wool collar of her liner up over her muzzle. It was blasted cold today!

• Like 1

Blizzard would glare at Koda when he was licked. In the back of his head, all he could think about was the dog's tongue sticking to his coat the same was a ponies might to a light pole. Turning his attention to to Glitter, he would sigh when she asked to help with his supplies. "If you have nothing better to do...." he would trail off. "You where going to follow me anyway. Might as well get something out of it." The tone of the unicorn's voice was sarcastic, yet true. "My home is just a few clicks north of here. Follow me." Blizzard would freeze and his cold, gray eyes narrow. "I guess that depends on what kinds of magic you consider to be useful to Equestria and what kind has you making Ice Cream." he would say with a bit of venom in his voice emphasizing the latter option. Glitter Drops had seemed to strike a nerve. "We better get moving. Sun is about to set." as he began walking due north.

Ten foot high snow drifts could be seen in the distance, though not like any naturally occurring ones as they seemed to form an outer wall. Behind them, Blizzard's home. "We're almost there," as he pointed a hoof and waited for them to catch up.

20200120_093406_50.png

Glitter eyed him as he spoke of magic. Making ice cream? Yeah, there was something about this guy she didn't get. It would be best to follow him an find out at least where he lived. She hadn't pegged him as a thread or anything of that nature but she did like to keep a grip on who was inhabiting the lands of the Frozen North. She picked up stride alongside the stallion. He was right it was getting late in the day. She had supplies enough for a night on the tundra if need be so it was no problem to follow along. 

"Koda!" She called to the elk hound as they made their way north. Best to keep the dog nearby as they were entering a territory she hadn't explored yet. "Stay close." She reached over to pat the dog as he bounded up in a flurry of snow. 

A wall of sorts loomed in front of them and Glitter cocked her head. "You've built yourself quite the dwelling I'm assuming?" 

• Like 1

Blizzard nodded ans he motioned for Glitter and her dog to follow. Behind the walls was an igloo. On second glace it was easy to tell the door had been made out of wood from supply crates. With a glow of his horn, the door would swing open. The stallion would then push his newly acquired supplies in and motion for the two to follow. Inside, the igloo was larger then it had appeared from the outside. Hanging from the center was a small, but rather impressive ice chandelier. Most of the furniture was made from ice or snow, with the occasional made from reused lumber that had been scavenged or repurposed crates. One item that was not so carefully placed was an old backpack baring the insignia of the Royal Guard, and a dated one at that. The name-tag would read B. Blitz. Elsewhere would be a bookshelf containing books about weather, snow and ice, along with other spellbooks. Two books would be laying out on his table. The first opened to a temporary wings spell, the other to a spell about ice projection. A quill and paper was nearby.

Blizzard would light a small fire before proceeding to open his new crate. "Hm.." He would say not really paying attention to where Glitter may have been in his igloo. "Carrots or corn, which to make for dinner...if you wish to stay that it. I'd imagine you have quite a ways to travel back to your outpost."

20200120_093406_50.png

Glitter followed with interest as they came upon the main dwelling. An igloo? A giant igloo? This was certainly one of the oddest dwellings she'd come across. It was functional though. She had to give it that. Koda trotted along at the mare's side as they entered the dwelling. She glanced around. Noting the ice chandelier in the center of the room. This was a permanent settlement to be sure! Quite impressive! She found herself wondering more about this stallion. Why he would chose to live this way. There were plenty of reasons to be sure. She had plenty of reasons for her lifestyle choices too. Seclusion could be a better way to live.

She walked towards the book case, noticing the books on spells. She wondered how powerful this guy could be. Her magic wasn't much. She had enough to simple spells but nothing like these tomes held.

The question of carrots or corn took her out of her thoughts. She turned to face him. "Oh! Uh, either would be fine with me. Carrots?" She wasn't sure she trusted him well enough to be staying for dinner but for now it was fine to offer her suggestion. On her way back over to him she noted the name tag.

"B. Blitz?"

• Like 1

Blizzard would levitate two cans of carrots from the supply crate. The cans where dated, but as like most things in the frozen north, the cold preserved things much longer. Next he would put a cooking grate over the small fire and place a pot upon it. He would then cast a small snow spell to fill the pot. The heat from the fire would quickly turn it into water. He would take the lids off the carrot cans and place them whole into the boiling water to cook. An old EUP field cooking trick.

Blizzard roll his eyes as he heard Glitter read the old nameplate aloud. "The B stands for Blizzard," he barked. "Food should be ready shortly...if you wish to stay. If not, the nearest outpost is about an hour trot due south, though I bet you knew that when you decided to follow me."

Quietly, the stallion would walk over to his desk where the two magic books where laid out, not really paying much attention to Glitter. "Now, perhaps if I combine this spell with the wing one...." he mumbled "That may work..."

• 3 weeks later...

20200120_093406_50.png

She raised her eyebrows at his comment about following him. It wasn't like she was keeping it a secret. It was her job to know what was going on with whoever was out in the Frozen North near her post. 

"Blizzard then." He hadn't asked her name and she didn't offer it. This guy was giving her a funny feeling. She could take care of herself of course, he just didn't sit right with her.

She went over to the table where he was muttering to himself over the spell books. She stood for a moment, scanning the pages he was looking at. "Spell combinations?" She half smiled. "You been practicing conjuring for a long time?" She raised a brow. "Your specialty in school maybe?"

The questions were intrusive but what did it matter? It didn't seem like this stallion would be phased by much...

Blizzard would grunt and roll his eyes. "I have been practicing a long time...." He would close one of the spellbooks, the parchment inside. "As for my specialty in school,"  he would cringe. "Apparently I was a failure." The stallion was being truthful in his own eyes. How can somepony attend the 'School for Gifted Unicorns' and not receive any instruction form Princess Celestia at all? A frown would quickly appear on the unicorn's muzzle as Glitter had seemed to press a button.

He would quickly attempt to change the subject however as his carrots where almost ready to eat. He would slowly walk over and remove them from the pot the cans had been cooking in. A small blast from his horn would turn the boiling water into just a warm mix. Walking over to a improvised shelf he would remove a rather old looking ration tin and bring it back to the pot. "Today is a special occasion. It's been at least...well a long time since I had company." As he poured a bit of brown substance into the pot, he would begin to stir it. "EUP ration coco," he would say with a small grin before pouring it into two tin cups. "If you don't wish to stay for dinner, at least have some chilled coco. I would say hot but I think I may have taken it down a few two many degrees for that." He would take a drink himself to prove it was safe and their where no tricks.

• Like 1

20200120_093406_50.png

Glitter watched his reaction to her question, though passed it off as if she had little interest. So this guy had some kind of gripe against his school it would seem. A failure huh? It was certainly best to stay a little longer as she still hadn't figured out Blizzard's motives. Why was he up here all alone? It seemed like he was up to more than just the hermit lifestyle.

She nodded and accepted the cocoa, shivering a bit as she took a sip. Sweet Celestia he was powerful with the chilling side of magic. She pulled the wool underlining of her coat down further on her legs. Had it gotten colder in here since they had arrived? She glanced at Koda. He shivered a bit as she ran a a hoof over his coat. "It's cold in here huh boy?" She muttered. Koda barked softly and licked her hoof. 

She took another sip and set down the mug. "Oh I don't mind staying for dinner." She raised an eyebrow. "Since this is a special occasion and all."

He wasn't the friendliest of stallions, that was certain but she'd find out more about him before she left. "So what spells have you been uh...practicing, recently?"

• Like 1

Blizzard was surprised, though didn't show it through his cold exterior that the green unicorn had decided to stay for dinner. "Wonderful," he would say as he began rummage through the old backpack in the corner. "Ah, there it is," he would mumble loudly before levitating a old standard issue mess kit to Glitter. It was dated to be from 5 years before the return of Nightmare Moon. He would grab himself just a fork that appeared to be from another mess kit. Next he remove the lids from the cans and float one to his dinner guest.

The icy unicorn would eat his straight from the can. Taking his first bite, he would stop. "Hm..." before setting his down and returning to his crate of supplies. "There it is," as he pulled out a small pack of spices. He would sprinkle sparingly some rosemary upon his meal before offering the small choice of spices to Glitter.

When Glitter asked about what spell he's been practicing, he would chuckle as a small grin would appear on his muzzle. "Oh you know, just the standards from 'Advanced Spells.' I'm quite proud of my latest one...I’m working on the temporary wing spell, but adjusting it to my own, unique needs.”  Taking another bite of his meal, he would look to Glitter to try to gage her expression.

"So...how are your carrots?"

• 2 weeks later...

20200120_093406_50.png

Glitter watched as he produced a mess kit for her. She was used to this kind of meal. Living in the Frozen North really did a number on one's sense of charms. She levitated the offered can and took a fork to the topmost carrot. The unicorn chewed the mushy orange spear while using her magic to pull the lid back a little more from the contents. 

"Just the way I like em'..." She swallowed and looked over the choice of spices before opting from a small sprinkle of salt and pepper. "Thank you." She nodded to the food and took another bite. 

Hmmm, Advanced Spells huh? Well, he wasn't new to magics that was obvious by his age and the fact that he was a unicorn. However, a spell to conjure wings was not easy. She didn't let much go in the form of expression just a slight raise of the eyebrow when he got to the part about wings. She had never gotten anywhere near magic of that level. She had not graduated anywhere near the top of her class and possessed just the standards of unicorn kind.

He spoke of unique needs but said nothing more about it. He was certainly going to keep himself to himself and she couldn't blame him. She didn't get much from most the creatures she ran into up here. There was a reason a pony lived in the Frozen North and being extroverted was not one of them. After a few more bites of carrots she set the can down and nodded.

"Thanks for dinner." She glanced around again and called Koda to her side. The dog had been resting not far away from her. "We should be on our way." She took a quick sip of the now super chilled cocoa. "Gonna be getting colder soon." They would be fine outside and Glitter knew of a place they could bank down to the night not too far away. 

• Like 1

Blizzard sighed deeply after taking a final bite of his carrots. A conflict was brewing inside the stallion as he though what might be best. On one hoof, if the mare would leave tonight, he could get back to his quiet and seclusion. On the other, he hated to admit it, but he may have been enjoying company...in moderation of course.

”The temperature is dropping and a nasty snow squall is due to come through sometime this evening.” Pausing, he reluctantly looked to the ceiling. “I can attempt to hold off the storm for an hour or two, or.....” he gulped, “You can spend the night....” 

Blizzard couldn’t believe the words that had come from his muzzle.

• 2 weeks later...

20200120_093406_50.png

Well, it was an offer she supposed. Not that he sounded overjoyed at the prospect of having the mare in his igloo over night. She couldn't help the half smirk that came over her muzzle. Perhaps it would be of interest to stay. If they did get caught outside in the oncoming squall she knew they would survive, it wouldn't be comfortable of course, but they would make it. Koda barked once, looking towards the door.

"Well boy," She glanced at Blizzard. "I think we might just stay tonight." It was getting late. There would be no light left to build an overnight bunker with. The dog whined but then trotted back to her side.

"Thank you for the offer, Blizzard." She spoke his name with a bit more a familiar ring to it. She was confident the two of them wouldn't be friends per say, but parlay was parlay and it was dang cold outside. 

"We won't trouble you," She had the supplies she needed for sleeping in her saddle bags. There was also a certain flask in there that might make this more comfortable at some point. 

• Like 1

The look on Blizzard’s muzzle when Glitter accepted his offer was an odd combination of relief and dread. He was glad that the mare had made the safer choice, though now he had an igloo guest. Sighing, the stallion would walk over to a crate and open it. “There are extra blankets and things in here if you need them.” 

He would then walk over to a newer looking, much smaller crate and begin rummaging through it carefully. “Ah, here they are,” he said to himself as he levitated two yak made candles from within. “I’m case you or your canine friend need to get up this evening,” as he floated her one of them.

Blizzard’s bed was tucked away betweentwi very large crates. Between them, a regulation EUP cot, though with a few old wool blankets for extra padding as well a fairly new looking one on top. Stretching with a rather loud yawn, the stallion would curl up  on his cot with his head facing the wall, away from the center of the igloo. “Sleep tight. After today I could probably sleep till,” a yawn would sneak out,” noon....” as a faint snoring could be heard.

20200120_093406_50.png

Glitter accepted the blankets and got herself and Koda comfortable. She was thinking that perhaps Blizzard would like to converse and share in the contents of her flask. As the faint snores issued form across the icy dwelling she shrugged to herself. 

"Hmmm, well more for me I guess." She gave a half smile and removed the flask cork. Inside was some extremely strong and very dark apple whiskey. "Won't be needing the blankets to keep the chill off anymore," She mused to herself before taking a short swig.

The mare shuddered as the fire laced liquid trailed down her throat. "A guy this cold probably wouldn't like this stuff anyway. Might melt him." More musing, more sips.

She woke early as she always did and began packing up to head out. 

"Well, thanks for the lodging Blizzard," She spoke while heading for the exit. She'd break her fast on the trail today.

• 1 month later...

Blizzard had been awake for a short time when his guest had awoken. Sitting at his table, he was reading a book, one about Wendigos... The cold unicorn would look up and nod. “Safe travels,” where the only words that would escape his muzzle. He really didn’t know what the proper reaction he should have given was to her. 

A few weeks would have passed before Blizzard would venture out. Today was the day he would finally try his new spell. His horn glowed bright as a set of ice wings sprouted from his back. The modified temporary wings spell seemed to be working. He would take a moment to look his new ice appendages over as he gave a sinister  chuckle. Two years of hard work had payed off. Though the wings had worked, learning to use them would be a very different story. 

He would spend a few hours hovering and then crashing to the snow a few times. After some success, he would become emboldened and would now attempt a higher altitude. It would not be long however before he crashed to the snow with a large thud. As Blizzard attempted to rise, he could not put weight on one of his front legs. “Ugh...” Reluctantly he made an ice cast and began to think of his options. With a heavy sigh he realized that he didn’t have the needed supplies at his home and began limping towards the nearby outpost. “I really hope that mare didn’t try to research my past after she left...”

Reaching the door, he would reluctantly knock....

• 3 weeks later...

20200120_093406_50.png

Glitter sighed, happy to be home from a long trek. It had certainly been an odd time with that Blizzard fellow. She furrowed her brow, still trying to categorize him. She wasn't sure if she'd label him as a threat however, she would have to write him up and send he findings back to the Crystal Empire. It was her job to do so. The mare sat at her kitchen table, a steaming mug of tea in front of her. Koda was curled up in his dog bed in the corner, tired out from their most recent adventure. 

"Well boy," She took a sip of tea and then used her magic to set it down. "Glad that's over. That chill was sinking into my bones." 

Her ears perked up and she set down the quill she'd just taken up with her magic. Somepony was outside. The tentative knock confirmed it.

She sighed and got up, walking to the door. As she looked through the peep hole and scowled. Blizzard?!

"Well look who it is," She eyed him, not in an unfriendly manner. "You look a bit... um, roughed up?"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Blizzard attempted to smile as the door opened, but it was more of trying not to scowl. "It's been a while..." as he referenced their last meeting a few weeks prior. Upon inspection, his ice wing spell was still active, though it was clear that they had been roughed up a bit as well. "May I come it....," he said reluctantly, avoiding eye contact with Glitter. "I...I think I may have sprained it," as he extended his front hoof for Glitter to inspect. "Or at least that's all I hope that is all that's wrong with it..." The hoof was encased in a layer of ice to serve as a brace, as well as reduce swelling.

From the unicorn's body language it was clear that he was ashamed to be standing at the door of another pony asking for help. He had survived all these years in the Frozen North without anypony's help, and now that had all changed. With a gulp of his pride, his horn would glow softly as he ended the wing spell as they turning into snow as he impatiently awaited the green unicorn's answer.