[Park] Playdate

MudBug

Normally so happy to sleep in, Rainbow Dash had promised herself to get up at a certain time, get ready, prepare a saddle bag, buy some sandwhiches on the go. So wound up in her usual regime, so actively ready to get things done, she felt as though she had been neglecting on of the very important aspects of her life to date.

Scootaloo.

Her protege. Or her 'fan' as some would say, Dash liked to think of herself as a teacher who would teach the next awesome flyer of Scoot's generation and it seemed by fate that she met the energetic little filly by her -awesome- moves. Smiling to herself, she packed the last of her things in her lightning embelished saddlebag's and took off from her house with a whistle as her body sliced the air like a blade.

Taking the time, she enjoyed the wind blasting past her wings, billowing through her mane and tail as she sped through the sky like a multicolored streak. She took so much joy in flying. In the speed, in the warmth of the sun on her back and the 'woosh' of the air that made her ears wobble before she splayed them to her head.

Soon Ponyville was on the horizon and she narrowed her eyes with a small smirk lacing her features, hooves clunked forward together and wings brought to her side as she slowly took toward the earth like a missile. As the ground came to view she waited till the last second, wings opening up as she looped the air a few times and slowed her pace. Leisurely flapping over the park before she moved to sit at a picnic table/bench combo that they had strewn around the grounds here and there.

She'd told Scoots to meet her here...now all she could do was wait.

scootaloo_mini.png

'Today is going to be so much fun!' Scoot thought to herself with a little smirk. Dash had been so busy lately that the little foal felt like she never got see her pal anymore. Scoot wasn't upset though, she knew Dash was always so busy being awesome that it was hard for her to find time to spend with Scootaloo. That made today even more exciting! a whole afternoon with Dash. She was lost in her own thoughts as she buzzed her little wings and zipped through town on her scooter. Getting a little enthusiastic she did a couple of tricks, the first few were really awesome! The fourth one where she tried jumping over a low branch with her scooter didn't go quite as awesomely, she face-planted right into a big oak tree and got her scooter stuck in a bush. Right in the middle of town with everypony watching and Scoot didn't care one bit, she just picked herself up, pulled her scooter out of the bush and continued racing towards the park.

She got to the park and quickly spotted Dash! Wanting so badly to impress her she decided she would go as fast as she could and then stop right in front of the table Dash was at. This time her trick actually worked and she stopped only inches from the table! "Hi Dash!" she said cheerfully and hopped up on the bench next to her idol.

Whilst waiting, Dash played with her hooves, twirling them and clopping them idely on the picnic table as she stared up at the clouds. Her mind slowly made pictures, hoops, memories that made her smile ever so slightly before in the distance that familiar buzzing came to her ears and she smiled. Sitting herself up straight she saw Scootaloo on her way and for a moment, a split second, the rainbow haired mare almost thought she'd end up crashing.

No doing. Not her Scoots.

As it screeched to a halt, Dash let out a hoot and a whistle as the foal scampered onto the bench next to her and one hoof came to playfully ruffle the filly's mane-do with a smirk on the older one's face.

"'Sup Scoots! That was awesome, one day you'll be performin' Sonic Rainboom's 'fore y'know it!"

She saw a lot of herself in the little orange filly and it warmed her heart up to see it, to see another generation so...speedy. Moving the saddlebag off her back she rummaged through it and took out a headband for herself and a little one for Scootaloo. Training was serious. And they were gonna have some serious FUN today.

"You ready for an AWESOME day, Scoots?"

scootaloo_mini.png

Scootaloo didn't think she could be much happier than she was in that moment, next to Dash getting her hair played with. Nothing was better than being around Dashie, she was like a totally awesome big sister... maybe even better. There was a huge smile on the little foals face, Scoot wouldn't have been able to stop smiling even if she tried to.

She looked up as Dash spoke to her "You think I'll be able to do a sonic rainboom soon?! I still need to see you do one, can you tell me the story again today?" so excited by the idea of hearing Dash's sonic rainboom story again she totally ignored the rest of the question.

"I am SO ready for an awesome day!" the little foal said enthusiastically, and with that she jumped off the bench and waited for Dash to do something awesome.

The mare smirked at the filly's enthusiasm, brushing up her forelock as she snapped on her headband with a small 'whack' as it hit her forehead and she offered up the little one to Scootaloo with that same, playful look on her face. And it only grew at the little friend wanted to hear that old, but awesome story yet again.

Who could blame her?

Chuckling she saddled up her bag on her back yet again and tapped her chin thoughtfully, almost like she was giving it some consideration before trotting past the little pegasus with a small;

"Alrighty! Which do you wanna hear, kiddo? The one when I first discovered the legend at your age to protect Fluttershy's honor? OR the one where I saved Rarity's and the Wonderbolt's life?"

Her total best day ever. Saving her friend. The Wonderbolt's. Showing up those stupid colt's a second time. And her Sonic Rainboom.

She nickered cheerfully to herself as she cantered leisurely into the park and was assured that Scootaloo would follow in hot pursuit as her mind worked over not only the story, but the regime she had in store for today.

scootaloo_mini.png

Scoot happily took the little headband and put it on, completely messing up her hair. With her now totally messed up hair she looked at Dash with a goofy smile on her face. Scootaloo had heard both sonic rainboom stories at least 20 times but she just LOVED them and couldn't wait until she had her own sonic rainboom story to show off. "Ohhh the one with the Wonderbolts! that's my favorite!" the Wonderbolts were so cool, almost as cool as Dash.

As Dash ran off Scootaloo picked up the pace to keep up with her, she trotted along smiling, excited for the story she was about to hear.

Rainbow had to chuckle a little at the look of Scootaloo's hair, raising a hoof to gently smooth it over before smirking. Proper athlete hair to a 't'. Tapping her chin in thought once more as she tried to recollect the story, as if she could forget! She smiled and started to tell the story in the usual, laid back attitude that swam with confidence.

How couldn't you be when you were so awesome? She mentally commented to herself.

"Well, Scoots, it was the day of the Best Young Flyer competition, somethin' you'll be seeing when you're my age, I got no doubt about that." Winking playfully at the filly at this, her smile brightened before she continued.

"Hard to believe this even now, but I was flailing out there infront of everypony, my friends, the Wonderbolts...even the Princess! They were all so dazzled by Rarity's fake wings...I knew there was only one thing to win over them all...the SONIC RAINBOOM! "

She struck a pose at this before chuckling a little, a few ponies in the park peering at her oddly before they continued on their own business. With a soft cough she looked back to her little filly-friend with an intense look as she continued her story with passionate abandon.

"Anyway, I flew up way high above the arena, I could barely see what was going on...and then I heard it! I heard Rarity screaming! I looked below and saw her and three of the Wonderbolts falling toward the ground! I turned tail and bolted as fast as I could toward them, it looked like I would never reach them in time!..."

Pausing she smirked and leant down playfully so her head was beside Scootaloo's.

"It happened...a huge ripple of color burst in the sky and I saved Rarity and the Wonderbolts in a flying streak of color! I won the competition! I saved the life of one of my best pals...AND I got to spend a whole day with the Wonderbolts themselves!...oh and uh...on a side note..." She lowered her voice to a whisper.

"I did also manage to totally stick it to these three jerks I'd known since I was your age."

The filly rose her head up again with a soft, proud smile lilting over her muzzle.

"Needless to say, it was the best day -ever-...but today we're gonna see if we can beat that by a mile, I'm sure we will."

scootaloo_mini.png

Scoot giggled as Dash fixed her hair, she didn't even realize she had messed it up. The little foal watched and waited for Dash to start telling her story. Once she started talking, Scootaloo hung on her every word as if this was the most important thing in the world. 'The young flyer's competition... that would be so cool' she thought to herself. Her eyes got big and she didn't take them off of Dashie for a second. By the time Dash finished talking Scoot looked so excited "That one gets better every time you tell it! I donno if we can beat that day by a mile but we can sure try!"

"I've got a story to tell you too!" she chirped, Scoot put on her serious story telling face and looked up at Dash "So Dash, ya know how you always tell me you have to be loyal to your friends? the other day some big bully was picking on Sweetie Belle and I totally stood up to him for her! She wouldn't have been able to herself because you know how Sweetie Belle is, she ran away crying so I had to make sure that the bully knew not to pick on my friends! he hasn't bothered us since!" When she was done with her story she looked quite proud of herself.

Done with her story, she let herself be praised by the little filly and felt a touch honored by it all as she walked leisurely by her side. Having Scootaloo as a fan and a friend, is what she believed it must've felt for the Wonderbolt's, to have someone adore them and be just like them...like she wanted when she thought of them and it made her smile just grow before the little filly showed that she had a story of her own.

Showing the same interest that Scoots had showed in her, as it was only polite to do, she smiled as the little filly went on about some bully at school and she couldn't help but be reminded of that darn trio again.

All three of them had caused her to suffer in some manner, either emotionally or mentally...never physically...still...she let most of it roll off her back as in the end. She had been right. She'd performed a Sonic Rainboom. And they were wrong in saying she hadn't.

When Scootaloo finished her story, she playfully and gently shoved the little filly in a good natured manner. Her smirk beaming from ear to ear as she looked over her little learner like a proud teacher, or even sibling would.

"Way to go, Scoots! You make me totally proud to know a cool lil filly like you." She said with her smirk still in place. "Was Sweetie okay afterwards?"

scootaloo_mini.png

"Me? you're proud to know me? really?" Scoot was smiling so wide now, she shoved Dash back even though she was so little the mare probably barely felt it. "Sweetie Belle was ok after, I had to find her ... she ran away faster then I've ever seen her run before and I couldn't see where she went because I was too busy yelling. Once I found her I gave her a hug and Apple Bloom was there too so she was alright. Have you ever had to yell at a bully? It was scary because he was so big but I was brave because I knew even if he ran after me it's not like he could catch me if I didn't want him to!" she giggled.

After Scoot finished talking again she picked up the pace a little leaving Dash behind, hoping she'd speed up too. Once she was ahead she turned around and gave Dash a smirk and then ran faster.

The little shove from the equally little filly made her chuckle as she continued the leisurely walk with her tiny compadre and couldn't help but feel a bright sliver of pride working its way in her chest, this little gal was super cool, just like she was when she was her age and she could forsee a bright future for her.

On the bully subject, Rainbow rolled her eyes as a small, knowing smile tugged the side of her mouth up into the corner.

"Scoots, you have NO idea how right you are, but when you're doin' it for your friends, your fear takes a flyin' leap."

It seemed then, that the fun had began.

Watching her with an arched brow, she saw the little orange pegasi speed up whilst she kept on walking, watching her stop ahead of her and turn with that little, memorable grin. That competetive, fun loving grin. The grin practically her trademark. Before the little orange filly became a blur and Rainbow Dash just had to feel the burning in her chest.

These were the moments she lived for.

Pawing at the ground, she quickly broke out into a canter before catching up with Scootaloo, wings stretched out, but not taking off just yet as she stuck at a steady pace to come neck and neck with the young foal.

Brow furrowed with an intensity as the smile beamed on her face.

scootaloo_mini.png

Scootaloo giggled as Dash came back into her view, she tried not to but she just couldn't help it. As Dash stretched out her wings Scoot did the same even though she was too little to fly. Her wings couldn't help her fly but they sure could help her go faster so she flapped them quickly and sped up even more.

Just to scare Dash a little she almost ran straight into a tree but avoided it right at the last second. After she did that she looked over to her mentor to see if she had managed to scare her with that little trick.

Watching her little friend's wings stretch out, she couldn't help but give a small, assuring grin. Flapping hers briefly and hoping she'd test her wings aswell, it would help as practice for the future and she wanted to see the little filly succeed since...she reminded her a LOT of herself at that age.

The thrill of speed, even on the ground, made Rainbow happy to be alive, it was what she lived for, so having friends even as small as Scootaloo here that loved to run too was a blessing in itself.

So you can imagine the slight shock when she saw the filly veering off to the side, initially thinking she was heading for a crash. Of which she knew all too often in her life. And instead...a joke. Blinking as the little orange moved back to her side and a smirk lilted her lips.

"Nice trick, kid, now let's see you pump those wings!"

scootaloo_mini.png

Scootaloo was happy to be running with Dash, times like these were the best. Going fast, hanging out with the coolest pegasus ever, nothing could be more awesome. As Dash flapped her wings a few times it made Scoot wish her own wings were ready to let her fly for real.

So when Dash asked her to use her wings for real she gave it a shot. She flapped her little wings as hard as she could, like when she was on her scooter. Although her wings weren't great yet she could pick herself up a little and Scoot got herself about a foot off the ground. She looked a little silly with her front legs lower than the back ones and she was clearly trying as hard as she could. She didn't have to slow down from the speed that the two of them were running at but she couldn't go much higher than being eye level with her friend. She gave Dash a little grin and tried to keep her pace.

Seeing the filly began to buzz her wings like an eager little bumble bee and it made the mare smile as she trotted beside the other and let the wind catch her own wings as she lifted off and looped the loop briefly about a good six feet in the air before her hooves landed running on the ground next to the orange filly once again.

One day, she was assured she'd be able to do the same and couldn't help but beam with deffinate pride as the other hovered her back end a good foot off the ground whilst she ran alongside her. This kid would go far.

She was so dang sure of it.

"Way to go kid!" She cheered on supportively.

• 1 month later...

(hope you don't mind me popping in)

As she often spent her days, Fluttershy was in the park. She loved being out with all the flowers and plants, not to mention the birds and animals. It was just always so peaceful. Plus she could watch other ponies, such as foals playing. Perhaps it was her shy nature, but she liked to pony-watch. She felt there was a lot to learn just from seeing what others did.

She was trotting along, just taking in the scenery when she heard a couple of familiar voices. One was clearly Rainbow Dash, and that meant that the other, younger sounding voice, was probably Scootaloo. The little orange filly was always ready to hang out with her idol. Secretly Fluttershy had to wonder if anypony really looked up to her like that. Then again, she didn't really put herself out there to attract attention either.

"Oh, hello," she smiled softly as she followed the voices to find where the two were at. "Are you giving flying lessons Rainbow? That's so very nice of you." As always her quiet demeanor was a complete opposite of her Pegasus companion.

By this point, Dash must've been beaming with pride as she focused on Scoot's technique, she was getting better every time they met up and the pegasi could see a mini her practically growing in the little filly.

So ofcourse another voice out of nowhere caught her offguard, the cyan mare blinking before she halted herself in mid air and searched out the source of the voice. The familiarity softening her features as she found the yellow and pink form of her childhood friend and smiled towards the other.

"Hey, Fluttershy." The rainbow haired speedster started with a smile still placed upon her features. It only grew in its intensity as the other pointed out her good deed and her wings propped up like a proud peacock.

"Yeah, Scoots here is REALLY comin' along, she'll be tearing through the sky before y'can say butterscotch!"

• 3 weeks later...

scootaloo_mini.png

Little Scootaloo watched in awe as Rainbow Dash did her flip, like it was the coolest thing she'd ever seen. Trying to fly and watch her hero do tricks at the same time was a bit too much for this filly so she slowly descended and got her hooves back on the ground without losing much speed. Once on the ground she quickly caught back up to Dash and gave her a huge smile in response to her supportive cheer.

Scootaloo heard a quiet voice and before she had time to think Dash had already slowed to a stop and was behind her. The orange filly dug the back of her hooves into the dirt trying to stop, leaving a little trail of ruined grass behind her. As usual she ignored the little mess she made and trotted back over to the older mares "Hi Fluttershy!" she said with a big goofy grin. Scoot couldn't help it, she'd never flown that well before... and in front of Dash! there was no point in trying to hide how excited she was about her little stunt. "Did you see me?! I was way higher off the ground than I was last time!" and although her wings were much smaller, they were puffed out just like her mentor's.

• 1 month later...

It always amused her how excited the little foal got when she had a chance to show off for Rainbow Dash. And Fluttershy was happy that her friend had the time to watch Scootaloo now and then. It always showed when the young Pegasus had been with her mentor. She always beamed with a huge boost of confidence.

"You look like you're really getting good. I bet you'll be flying as high as Rainbow Dash in no time. I wish I were as good as you are when I was your age. You could probably be a contestant in the Best Young Flyer contest. I'd come and watch."

She looked between the two. They were a lot alike. They both were proud ponies, and had similar attitudes. Fluttershy didn't know of any young ponies that were quiet as she was, or with such an interest in animals. Perhaps one day she would have a foal look up to her, but for now she was content to just cheer for her friends and the foals that wished to be like them.

"Have you taken a break yet? It's such a nice day, it would be nice to sit down for a bit and have a snack. Do you want to join me?"