[Stalliongrad]The Clockwise Pony[Invite-Only]

Chapien

Gears "Sparks" Clockwise sat in a dark ally in between two shops in the Rasya district, obscured from the sigh of any ponies passing on the main street. It was roughly midnight, and as usual, he found himself unable to sleep. Instead, he was fiddling with a typical wind-up watch, holding it in his hoof, a tool levitating in front of him due to his Unicorn Magic.

The clock had broken several nights ago when he had dropped it into a puddle of water, and he had been trying to get the intricate gears inside working every waking hour since. He continued to fiddle with it for a good hour before he shoved the tool into the gears a bit too hard, causing a spring to bounce out of the watch. Sighing in frustration, he dropped the device, causing even further damage to it as gears spilled out, completely ruining the device.

"Well. That's just... fantastic."

He began to slowly gather up the broken pieces of the watch, grumbling to himself in frustration.

Snowfall had a content expression on her face as her wings propelled her through the skies over Stalliongrad's Rasya district. She just couldn't break this habit, no matter how loud the complaints about security risk got. Ever since her days as a filly living under her father's strict hoof she had escaped regularly from the luxurious family manor in the heart of the Vysokii district for midnight flights around Stalliongrad. There was nothing that calmed, relaxed and enlivened her more, and at that moment she was in need of some pleasant feelings.

Her life was currently in something of a whirlwind. The uncertainty of the Trans-Equestrian Railroad project hung over all of her company, Northern Storm Industries, business. While her trip to Appleloosa had left her optimistic, the scope of the project and the money involved made for an unwelcome heaviness to it all. Even more so though, her concerns were with a certain other for whom she had the deepest of feelings pegasus who was currently entangled in an undertaking that could very well prove fatal.

There wasn't much that could allay all of her feelings, but a flight through Stalliongrad certainly helped, and there was no better place in Stalliongrad than Rasya. It was one of her favorites of the city's many districts. With all its numerous and colorful vendors and small shops, the Artisan District just had a lot of character. It was the kind of place that always offered new surprises each time she went, often when she wasn't even looking for them. Of course, it was even better during the day, when all of the shops were opened... but for a pony as important as her, getting away from Ostrov during the day was a bit of a struggle.

The white pegasus flew low over the streets of the district, her powder blue mane tied up, wearing a nondescript dark coat and dark glasses. She wasn't really looking for anything in particular, just something to keep her attention. Eventually, the pegasus mare found just that. Her eyes found a glint as something fell out and rolled toward her. Looking down at it, it seemed to be a broken watch. Or the case of it at least, as most of the gears and springs insider had since evacuated. This caused her to stop and look over into the alley where she found a young unicorn standing, looking dejected.

"A pity," she said as she picked the watch up carefully to hand it to him. "It looks like a fine piece. I wonder if it can be fixed?"

Sparks gasped slightly in surprise at the sudden appearance of the Pegasus, but quickly regained his composure. He carefully took the watch from her.

"Mm? Oh yes. Very fine. Very nice machinery and all..." he said, inspecting the broken parts, sighing. "I probably could fix it myself, but not in these conditions... I have no tools except this-" he lifted his screwdriver using his horn, "- and it hasn't proven useful in the slightest. Ah well. I suppose its a lost cause."

He sighed again, looking up from the watch to the Pegasus, and then back to the watch. "I suppose I'll have to dispose of this... mess."

Snow nodded as she listened to the colt.

"Watches are a delicate craft," she said with a steady nod. "Machinery in general is tricky. I deal with it constantly and yet my understanding remains fairly rudimentary at best."

The pegasus gave a small laugh followed by a slight nod. "You say you actually understand the mechanics of the thing? That's quite impressive for one still so young."

At the suggestion of throwing the watch and its parts out, Snowfall had to frown slightly. "Are you sure? If you're so confident you can fix the thing, I'd like to see it. It would be my pleasure to buy for you any tools you may need for the job."

"Well... I understand most of it, at least. What I don't understand I could figure out easily, given time and actual work conditions."

Sparks smiled. "And... well, if you really are willing to supply the tools, as well as a rudimentary place to work, then I'd love to fix it. Unfortunately, I do not have anywhere to work... I am, unfortunately... erm, homeless, so to speak."

Snowfall tried to stem her shock upon hearing the colt in front of her didn't have a home. With its harsh climate, Stalliongrad was not a fun place to be without a home. It was sad for the mare to think that there were still ponies like this out there who had so little to their name. She tried her best to be charitable with her money, but it was impossibly for it to get everywhere.

"That's truly unfortunate," she said, sighing noticeably. "But I am still interested. It's somewhat rare to find young ponies with love and talent for such things, no matter how rough that may be... and for a pony in my position such ponies are something of a commodity."

"Finding a tool shop open at this hour may be a struggle, but my offer remains to pay whatever you need," she said nodding. "As for your place to stay and work, I'd be willing to pay for a room at an inn of your choice so long as you need to complete the task."

Snow smiled. This was probably starting to seem kind of silly. Between the cost for the tools and the inn room, one could buy a watch in working order. Snowfall wasn't very interested in watches though. She was more interested in this colt and the look in his eyes. Perhaps she had just stumbled upon what one day might be a valuable asset.

Sparks raised an eyebrow. "Well... if you can pay for it and are willing to spend it on somepony like me... than I won't object. With the necessary tools, I should be able to repair the thing in a day or two, give or take."

Sparks smiled. "I suppose we should go tool shopping then, eh? I know exactly what I need!"

Sparks paused for a moment, thinking. "Oh right! I nearly forgot. My name is Gears Clockwise. But, please, call me Sparks. And yourself?"

Snowfall smiled as the colt introduced himself. Gears Clockwise. Sparks. Those were definitely names that spoke to him being just the sort of young pony she should be helping to get ahead in the world. She nodded to him.

"It's nice to meet you Sparks. You can call me Snow," she said kindly. She opted to give her nickname, as her name held a certain weight to it in Stalliongrad; he may know it, and depending on what if any newspapers he read, he might already have some preformed opinion of her.

She nodded to the colt softly before continuing to speak, "You know a shop that might sell such a thing at this hour? If so, lead the way and I'll be delighted to follow you."

Sparks smiled. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Snow."

Sparks was a bit surprised that a random stranger would be willing to help him out, particularly in such a big way. He couldn't help but wonder if Snow had some sort of ulterior motive in helping him out, but he decided not to question it for now.

"As for a store that is still open... There is a toolshop that should still be open. It isn't far from here, about a block or two."

"Alright. That sounds great then," Snowfall said with an enthusiastic nod. "Lead the way."

She followed alongside the colt closely. While they walked, she throught up something to ask him. She wanted to know more about this potentially interesting colt. How did he become homeless? Where was his family? There were many thing to ask, but most of them seemed far too intrusive. She didn't want to come off as pushy or nosy. She needed to respectful. It seemed the best idea was to stick to his knowledge and just go from there.

"So, tell me the, Sparks, are watches all you know, or do you have experience with other types of machines as well?" she asked, tilting her head in curiosity.

Sparks nods and leads the way, walking at a leisurely pace towards the shop, slogging through the snowy streets. "Well, I grew up making clocks, so they are certainly what I know best. However, I have made my own... contraptions. Though everything I've made has been limited to using clockwork as its main method of propulsion, mainly because it is all I have had at my disposal."

Snow nodded at the colt's words. "Ah, I see. Contraptions." The mare giggled a little. "That sounds kind of fun."

Smiling, the pegasus added, "Clockwork is a fascinating thing, I think. Depending on the size and configuration of the gears it can be applied in so many ways... and when combined with other burgeoning technologies out there, I can only imagine what the future has in store for us. The applications are surely limitless."

She gave a small laugh and shook her head. "So, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get interested in clockwork? Or was it just by the virtue of the gears already being in your name?" she asked, hoping it wasn't pressing things too hard.

Sparks grinned. It was good to finally be talking to another pony who at least had passing knowledge in mechanics. "Clockwork can and will lead us to many great new discoveries- I am sure of that! As for my fascination with Clockwork... I was sort of raised with it, you could say. My father owns a clock shop, and I was, until recently, his apprentice."

Snow's expression evened at the mention of Sparks having been apprentice to his father until recently. That could mean any number of things and the possibilities had the wealthy mare swimming in curiosity. She unfortunately knew far too much about broken, severed relations with fathers. While he was still there, when she was a filly, she had been a silent rebel, never quite the daughter he wished for. Now he was gone, his company in Snow's hooves, and her caught firmly in the massive shadow he had cast before his disappearance. Because of all that, she couldn't ignore asking a question, even if it did seem quite personal.

"If I may be so bold enough to ask, why did that arrangement come to an end?" Snowfall asked, trying to be as polite as she could with the phrasing.

Sparks paused for a moment, wondering if it would be best to share his story. With a sigh, he began, "Well... my father was always simply fascinated with clocks, whereas I actually enjoyed trying to figure out how to apply clockwork in new and unique ways. My father thought it was a waste of time, but he rarely interfered. One night, I was messing around with some materials in the lab, trying to build something new and- well, it exploded. That was the night my father kicked me out- and the night I got my Cutie Mark."

Snow looked down at the ground and then up as she listened to the story. While her own father had strictly controlled her life, forcing her to stay cooped up in the manor studying all the time, this colt's father had thrown him out into the Stalliongrad winter to survive on his own. In Snowfall's eyes that was the far crueler fate. Though, to be fair, she had never given him the cause. She had made her little unauthorized trips into the city and ignored her studies at times, but she had never blown up one of his offices or factories, not that she had the means. This was a severe act, so a severe punishment was perhaps more warranted. Still, this somehow seemed extreme to her.

"A terrible thing. I'm sorry to hear that," Snow said, nodding. "Having to survive on your own can't be very easy."

The colt looked to be a number of years past the age when most get their cutie mark. She supposed he could have just been very late to get his, but more than likely that meant he had been on his own for a long while now.

"I know you likely doubt yourself over what happened, but despite the unfortunate results, personally I think you are right to want to innovate and repurpose your craft," Snowfall said. "Ingenuity is what keeps us moving forward. Even if it's unpolished and in some cases volatile, if guided and honed an ingenious spirit is a rare and valuable thing."

"I must however ask what you were meaning to do when you exploded your father's clock lab? There isn't much that comes to my mind when I try and think up things made from clockwork that can result in an explosion of that size," Snow said, shaking her head. "Though perhaps I am just lacking when it comes to the creative flair and spark."

Sparks laughed nervously. "Well, truth to be told... I didn't only have clockwork at my disposal... I acquired some um... some..."

He paused for a moment, obviously trying to figure out a way to change the subject, before looking up at a nearby building. "Oh look! It would seem that we are at the shop! Heh, almost missed it. It has been a while since I've been able to actually afford anything, and the owner doesn't appreciate so-called 'beggars'- regardless, shall we go inside?"

Snowfall gave a small chuckle. Though the pony cut himself off, it wasn't hard to fill in the blank. At the very least it was clear that this pony had acquired and been messing with something he shouldn't have. She couldn't blame him for being embarrassed, though she was still curious as to what the end goal was. She wasn't going to push it though. She had pushed enough for now.

"I apologize for all the questions. I don't mean to pry, but at the same time the flow of curiosity is a hard thing to stem," she said as they stopped in front of the shop.

"But yes, let's go inside," she said, nodding as she reached out to open the door with her hoof and stepped into the store.

"Right then." Sparks entered the shop, looking around. The shop had several shelves, each with rather organized and neatly-kept tools resting on them. Across the room was a shopkeeper sitting behind a desk, looking both bored and tired. Sparks immediately headed over to a shelf and grabbed what appeared to be a saddlebag designed specifically for carrying tools.

"So, should I just grab what I need and you'll pay for it? I promise it won't be too much."

"That sounds fine," Snowfall replied simply. "And don't let price stop you. I'll pay whatever you may need."

She nodded and let the colt go off to find what he needed. She began to look around the shop herself to pass the time. It was a nice tool shop; good size, good selection. Snowfall didn't know what everything on the shelves was exactly, but she did see at least a few parts and components branded with the NSI company logo, which made her smile slightly. After looking around a while, she drifted back toward Sparks.

"Are you finding all you need?" she asked.

Sparks browsed the shelf, grabbing various tools off of the shelf and placing them delicately into the bag. The shop had everything he would need to reconstruct the watch and more; screwdrivers of various shapes and sizes, hammers, wrenches... it was like a mechanic's dream.

"Yes, yes, everything and more!"

He headed over to the counter and placed the bag on the counter. "I'd like to buy all of these tools, and the bag, please!"

The shopkeep looked at Sparks, a doubtful expression on his face. "And how, young Colt, do you intend to pay for all of this?"

Snowfall just grinned as she stepped toward the counter. "I'll be paying for everything today, sir," she said, reaching into her coat pocket to pull out a coinpurse stuffed with bits.

"Now, how much will that be?" she added with a grin to the shopkeeper.

Sparks stares at the clearly stuffed coinpurse, a bit shocked by the amount of money the mare has with her. The shopkeeper, however, maintains his somewhat bored posture. "It'll be a total of 45 bits, for all the tools, and another 10 bits for the toolbag."

Sparks bit his lip a bit nervously, worried a bit about the price, but also pondering, once again, who exactly this mare was? And more importantly, how does she have so much money that she seems to be willing to simply help a random, homeless colt fix a rather basic watch?

Snowfall nodded. That seemed a fair price for what the colt was getting, and next to her wealth 55 bits certainly wasn't going to be missed.

"Very well, 55 bits it is," she said as opened the coin purse and emptied out the contents, quickly finding a total of 55 bits and shoving the rest back into the purse and placing that back into her coat.

"A pleasure doing business with you, sir," she said as the shopkeeper took the money and moved the bag and tools back toward Sparks. She stopped herself from smiling too much as she said this; after all, seeing as they shelved some of her company's products her and this shop already did business in another capacity.

Sparks simply stared at the tools for a moment, before grabbing the bag with his horn and slinging it over his back. "Right then! Now we just have to find accommodations- ah, do you know of anywhere nearby? I haven't exactly been able to afford... anywhere... lately," he said, chuckling nervously.