An Expected Arrival[Chapien and Phil The Time Wizard]

Chapien

Sparks got off of the train, legs shaking a little. He had never had taken a trip on a train before; let alone a trip as long as the trip from Stalliongrad to Manehatten, almost clean across Equestria, and he felt like he was going to vomit when he exited. When he first stepped out of the train, his legs wobbled a little and he nearly fell over, before regaining his posture. Finally looking up from the floor, he immediately felt woozy again.

To say that the Manehatten train station was impressive was an understatement of the most massive proportions. It was massive, and the buildings beyond were even bigger, larger even than the buildings he was used to in Stalliongrad. Barely holding back his urge to be sick, he began to walk forward uneasily.

He was looking for his NSI contact here in Manehatten, a hippogriff named Vivid Flair, someone who surely wouldn't be too hard to meet and should be waiting for him here. Taking a deep breath, he began to search the station, keeping an eye open, still feeling rather queezy.

Vivid Flair gave a forceful yawn as she stood in a corner of the Manehattan train station, feeling groggy and out of it. Her schedule, simply put, did not allow much time for sleep. Today she had even more than her usual job duties and her more elective nighttime escapades on her slate though; she had to meet with and show around this new intern who had come down from Stalliongrad. She couldn't say she was exactly looking forward to the extra duty, but refusing her higher ups in the company wasn't exactly an option.

The intern was apparently pretty young, still a colt, had never left Stalliongrad before and evidently he had been recruited to the company by the CEO herself. Vivid didn't know exactly what to expect, but she was a little curious. She hoped he was agreeable and picked everything up quickly with the job. With all she had going on she didn't want somepony she'd have to push along too much and foalsit.

As the train pulled up and spilled out, Vivid looked at the forming crowd. She didn't know what this colt looked like, but picking him out was pretty easy. She could see on colt the right age, blue mane, off-white coat who had the right look in his eyes as he looked out at the city. To top if off, his cutie mark showed a cog. There really was no doubt. Vivid approached him readily.

"Hello," she said, nodding. "You would be Gears Clockwise, I take it?" she asked, looking at the name on the slip.

Sparks was a little startled by the sudden appearance of the hippogriff, still obviously quesy from the train ride.

"O-oh! Hello! That's me. Gears Clockwise!"

He smiled nervously. "And you must be Vivid Flair? It's a pleasure to meet you! I...I've always wanted to visit Manehatten. Or well, anywhere outside of Stalliongrad. It's really nice. And big. And warm." He was obviously rambling, but he didn't seem to notice.

"Indeed. I am Vivid Flair, ace engineer attached to NSI's Manehattan office," the hippogriff started in a low voice, nodding at the young pony.

"I know what you mean about the city. I was in awe as well when I first moved here from Beakbreak City. Stalliongrad may be on the cutting edge, Canterlot may have the princesses and but no city in Equestria quite matches Manehattan in terms of shear size and scale," Vivid said in a strong voice with a smirk. "Manehattan is a beautiful city and while the weather may be milder, as big as it is it, it has more than one dark corner to it and can be just as harsh at times as your bitter North."

That's why she worked by night to keep the city she so loved safe, that's why she used her cunning and intellect to position herself as Manehattan's shining knight, their Noble Flare. Not that she was going to say that out loud here; that was her secret, her second life. It's only effect on these proceedings was the added grogginess she felt.

"Though by all means, I suggest you enjoy what this fair city has to offer while you're here," she suggested giving a full nod. "But this is no vacation. You are here to work and to learn, and just because you're new to the job don't expect the Manehattan office to be easy! No, you'll be watched here, and reports on your performance will be flying back to Stalliongrad on a regular basis. Understood?"

Sparks nodded, listening intently to everything the hippogriff said.

"Yes, understood, of course! The real reason I'm here is to work- it has been far too long since I have done any real mechanics outside of some clockwork repairs- and I'm really eager to get started! But of course, I'd love to see the city. It's always been my dream to leave Stalliongrad and..." he trailed off, realizing he was rambling. He took a deep breath, and nodded. "Right then. I do have a few questions. Primarily, what will the accommodations be and when can I start?"

Vivid nodded as she observed the colt. He seemed to have a lot of youthful energy. That was good. It would serve him well if refined.

"Accommodations? You'll find a number of rather economical apartment buildings in town; there are some in the vicinity of the NSI lab I could even point you toward if you'd like. Your pay should be enough to cover rent for the duration of your stay in the city," Vivid explained with a steady nod. "As for when you start? You'll be expected at the engineering lab tomorrow morning. Today however is free."

"I trust you already went through your basic training with the Stalliongrad team?" the hippogriff asked in a low voice. "I know you have the CEO on your side, but I hope you realize that down here it will be harder for her to step in and protect you if you don't meet expectations."

Sparks smiled. "Yes, of course I've received my basic training. And I wouldn't worry- I think you'll find that I'll meet any expectations you throw at me."

Sparks was actually really excited to finally be here. He had been waiting for nearly a week with next to nothing to do back in Stalliongrad after completing his basic training; sure, he had some basic errands and small repairs he had to complete here and there, but no real projects to work on. Finally he would be back to doing what he loved- building and innovating. However, the more he thought about the upcoming weeks he would be spending in Manehatten, the more nervous he became.

"Of course, uh, my forte has always been Clockwork. I'm not entirely sure about my skills outside of that field."

Vivid gave a solemn nod. "Well, you most likely won't be working on any clocks here," she said in a low voice. "The primary focus of the Manehattan office of NSI's engineering division is tied to the Trans Equestria Railroad project."

"Ms. Snowfall has entered into a deal with two other big shots to organize this massive expansion of Equestria's rails that will take them through the Roughrider Ridge and even into Aquelia, through rough, mountainous terrain. By the terms of the deal, NSI has secured exclusive rights to build the trains to be used on this railroad. However, on top of that, we're expected to engineer new ways to aid in the clearing of the path by developing cost effective means to clear a way through or tunnel into the mountains in our way," Vivid explained steadily.

She gave a small laugh as she stepped ahead. "But perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. A full briefing can wait until you're actually on the job, after all."

"I could show you around a little? Perhaps show you where the lab and the office are?" the hippogriff added, in a low voice. "And I'd be more than willing to answer any questions you may have."

Sparks grinned. "Of course. I already know a little bit about the Railroad project, but not much. I can't wait to start."

He began to follow Vivid as she stepped forward. "Of course. Lead on! I'd love to see the city, and where I'll be working for the next few weeks."

Vivid nodded. "All right, follow me then," she said as she began to walk ahead at a brisk pace.

"A shame you don't have wings; the city looks the best perched high atop one of its tallest buildings," she commented as they left the station area and entered into one of the primary streets."This city has everything, but it's not as cleanly ordered as your Stalliongrad with all those fun little districts. And as you can see, it's very busy," the hippogriff spoke as they walked down the crowded street past countless ponies of all varieties.

"Located squarely in the middle of The Strand, Manehattan is a central trade hub of Equestria, and the business center of the kingdom. It's a city of commerce, that can be either kind and cold depending on who you are and how many bits are in your pocket. Diversity is the key though, and though it may seem all business at first, you can find ponies... and even others as I surely make evident, of all vocations," Vivid continued to speak as she lead the pony through the city, moving fairly briskly, but giving the pony enough time to take in the sights of all the tall buildings and interesting ponies all around him.

Sparks followed alongside Vivid, listening idly and taking in all of the awe-inspiring sights around him. He had always thought that Stalliongrad was big; but compared to this, it was nothing. Manehatten was just as diverse as Stalliongrad, if not moreso, with ponies of all shapes and sizes roaming the streets. Unlike Stalliongrad, which was for the most part rigid and structured in a grid-like manner, Manehatten was sprawling and unorganized, a metropolis of all shapes and sizes.

"I... I must say. I expected it to be big, maybe as big as Stalliongrad, but this... this is huge."

"Big. Yes. Isn't that the truth of it?" Vivid said, laughing. "I remember when I first moved down here for school I thought much the same. Beakbreak City isn't much compared to your Stalliongrad, but as a kid it sure felt huge. Then I come here and I realize I don't even know what huge is. It's certainly easy to be taken aback by the scope of it all."

The hippogriff gave another small laugh. "It's a lot cleaner and nicer than Beakbreak as well, which is a plus. Maybe it doesn't have the ultra modern look of your Ostrov district, or the classic elegance of Canterlot, and it certainly isn't going to look like Cloudsdale or anything... but it's a nice place overall... that is, as long as you don't step into any of those dark corners I was talking about before."

It was easy for Vivid to talk about her city. She put considerably more effort into it than most you'd find even if all of that was her secret. She had a lot of pride in Manehattan though, and was quick to jump at the chance to explain why.

"Now, you see that building over there?" she said, pointing toward a building that was tall but far from one of the tallest. "That's the NSI office building. Our headquarters is in Stalliongrad and so are the factories and the main engineering lab you visited in Chenya district, but as far north as it is, Stalliongrad isn't very convenient for most Equestrians to conduct business. You'll find the main offices of a lot of ponies involved in the company right there. I have an office myself, but I don't really use it much."

"That said, you probably won't have much reason to visit that place unless you get in trouble with one of the bosses," she said. "Engineering works out of a separate building, our lab, which is still a ways off from here."

Sparks nodded, looking at the NSI office structure.

"Well, the city is certainly cleaner than the Kuznitza District of my home, and even the Rasya District- It's nice. Though it seems like it would be rather easy to get lost, nyet?"

He remained silent after that for a few moments, following Vivid, before continuing, "How far away is the lab facility, anyway? I am curious to see how big it is. If it's scale is anything like what I've seen so far, I am sure I cannot be disappointed. Also, I understand that I will be renting my apartment myself- but where will I be staying my first night?"

Vivid nodded. "it does help to keep a map on you, especially if you can't fly like I can," she said. "The layout isn't easy to learn, but once you've been here long enough, it starts to become an organized sort of chaos."

"As for the lab, we turn here onto this street coming up and then continue for about six blocks" she point ahead to a cross street they were approaching, turning as they reached it. "As for its size, it's fairly large in area. We need a lot of floor space after all. It's not tall like most these buildings though. Just three floors hight. A tower full of tiny little rooms and offices wouldn't make a lot of sense when you're trying to put together a train or some of the larger airship components after all."

"Organized Chaos, eh?" He continued to follow Vivid closely, absorbing everything she said and the various sights of his surroundings like a sponge. "Da, it would be difficult to construct anything in any of these tall buildings."

"I will be briefed on the task at hand once we arrive, da? I remember you mentioning it in brief when I first arrived- I believe I already have a few helpful ideas."

"Well, nopony is going to be expecting that much out of you when it comes to ideas," Vivid said in a low voice. "Most of us can be kind of vain; we all think our ideas are the best. Even I'm guilty of that at times, I'm afraid. Some on the team might resent you if you get too loud this fresh out of the gate."

"That said, it's not a smart thing to ignore a truly good idea, and all of us are supposed to be smart," the hippogriff said. "If something brilliant enters your head, don't be afraid to try and convince us it's the way to go. If you do manage to wow us, you'll win yourself some respect and envy in varying measures."

"As for the briefing, we're saving that for tomorrow. It's technically your first day. Today is just for me to show you around and for you to get situated," Vivid said, still walking ahead. "Which reminds me that I never answered your question of where your staying tonight. There really isn't a plan for that. Do you have enough to cover a hotel room for tonight?"

He frowned for a moment, and looked back at his saddle bag. "Nyet... well, I have some bits, but I am not sure what I would be able to afford. In Stalliongrad it is easy to find accommodations but... Manehatten, I hear it is more expensive here, da? And I am unsure as to where I could stay, anyway..."

Vivid looked down. Most in this situation might offer a little help in this situation, perhaps allow the pony to stay with her a night? She had more secrets to protect than most ponies though so that letting ponies into her apartment was ill advised. She didn't want to leave this pony to his own devices though, not when the record indicated he was just recently homeless. She nodded.

"Well, my place doesn't have a lot of room, but I'd be willing to help you out," she said, shrugging. "There are some cheaper places in the... shall we say, 'less scenic' part of town that you might be able to afford. But if you don't want to risk that, I'd be willing to split the cost of a nice hotel room with you for a night or two until you find a place to rent."

Sparks thought for a moment, not wanting to impose on who was essentially his new boss. "Well, if need be I am fine with staying in lesser conditions. After all, I am used to it, and have had to spend nights in the Kuznitza district of Stalliongrad, which I am fairly certain is far worse than anything in this city, as bad as it can apparently be. However... if you are willing, then I would be more than honored to accept your proposal."

"Heh. I've been to Kuznitza. It's where NSI's main factory is located after all," Vivid said, giving a laugh. "Imagine an entire city like that and it might give you an idea of the kind of place I came from."

"So, yeah, I know how it is when you come up from so little. A little luxury goes a long way," the hippogriff said. "I'd be happy help you out and get you a room somewhere kind of nice."

She laughed. "But just so we're on the same page, don't expect the crazy kind of five star place, Ms. Snowfall stays at when she's in town. We're talking something more reasonable here..."

Sparks nodded. "Of course. I don't expect, nor desire, the best of the best- but a warm bed would certainly be desirable. Do you know of a reasonable place near the laboratory facilities? Or will I have to travel a distance?"

"You should be able to find a close place," Vivid said with a laugh. "The lab is in an alright part of town. Kind of not far from the university. I can think of at least a couple reasonably priced, comfortable places... and like I sad they also have some low rent apartments you could use."

"Speaking of which, that's the place," she said, pointing toward a wide, but not overly tall modern looking structure just in the distance with the NSI logo displayed in the corner. "NSI's Manehattan lab. Other cities have branch offices, but so far this is the only engineering lab apart from the one you visited in Stalliongrad."

Sparks nodded. "Just point me in the right direction and I'm sure I'll find a place to stay. I could stay just about anywhere, so I do not mind the conditions."

He glanced towards the lab. It wasn't quite as large as the facilities back in Stalliongrad, but it was still rather massive, at least in width, if not height. "Will I be shown the interior of the building tomorrow, as well as my workspace?"

"Well, yeah, unless you want to stop by for a visit today," Vivid replied with a shrug.

"That's up to you really. I could show you around the place, or if you prefer, we could work out finding a place for you to stay first," she said

Sparks thought for a moment. "Nyet, I suppose it could wait until tomorrow. The lab, that is. Finding a place for me to stay is more immediately important, I suppose."