Wild Gambit [Final]

WildGambit

Roleplay Type: FiM/Show "Mane" Equestria Universe

Name: Wild Gambit

Sex: Male

Species: Pegasus Pony

Coat Color: Rich, dark reddish brown, around #2C0600

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Auburn mane, around 6F0B00, with a single, long streak of black. The style of the tail is long and sleek, well groomed. The mane is somewhat shorter, but sleek and shiny. It stands up in the air due to styling, and has a single curl at the front, where it droops slightly. (see Picture)

He has an interesting marking, in very dark brown, almost black, that runs across the top of his head, and down his back. (See Picture for details) This dark colouring can also be seen on his wingtips in stripes. There's a rumor in his family that his grandfather on his mother's side was a zebra, and is thus the reason for his markings, but he never actually managed to get the truth on the matter, since it is apparently something of a family scandal.

Eye Color: A pleasantly dark red.

Cutie Mark: A pair of dice, with not numbers on them like normal dice, but card suits. If you want his full (long) cutie mark story of how he got his, see the following spoiler dropdown. It's not a spoiler of any kind, I just thought I would make it optional.

He obtained his cutie mark at an unremarkable age when he was a foal, not to late, not too early. After school one day, he had been told to meet his father at one of his 'stallion's clubs' to be walked home (A reference to a gentlemen's club, I don't know if you have those in America. They're basically just a friendly environment for men to go and have a drink and a game with friends. Nothing more, nothing less.)

Of course, when Wild got there, he was told that he was too young, and should wait outside for his father... but being the rambunctious little fellow he was, he found himself fiercly curious, and promptly disobeyed, sneaking in through the roof access door. (Wings of course, just try keeping a young pegasus on on the ground!)

Upon finding his way into the club itself, he was immediately surprised by the large groups of strong, respectable stallions... playing games?! Too curious, and knowing he would be noticed soon, he trotted to where he could see his father, deeply involved in a game. Upon his arrival at the table, his father happened to win, by sheer coincidence, so instead of being annoyed with him for sneaking in, Rogue praised his young son, and proudly let him remain for several more games as a 'good luck charm'... apparently this worked, because he played a good set of games, winning most, but not all of them. Wild watched this with wide, fascinated eyes, falling in love with the way the game was... the way the cards were played... mere little pieces of card and paper that suddenly developed such meaning as they were slapped down on the felt topped table. Dice too... little bits of plastic that clicked and clacked together nicely as they were shaken, suddenly taking on meaning that had so many grown stallions enraptured. Wild fell truly in love with the mystique of this, and from then on, often met his father at the gentlemen's club, where he quickly became looked upon as a mascot, who was willing to help the staff collect glasses and clean up in order to be allowed to stay.

After several weeks, he was offered a chance to work there after school as a helper for a couple of bits, not much more than his pocket money... but he accepted without hesitating, thrilled at the idea. It was upon the moment he was first taught to deal the cards to the players properly by the staff, young though he was, standing proudly up on an old vegetable crate so that he could reach the table, he dealt his first ever hand of cards, just to his co-workers of course, who were helping him learn, that his cutie mark appeared. He was THRILLED... and his family was proud of him... he had found his purpose in the world.

Physique: He's medium sized for a stallion, not particularly large or small, and athletic, strong in the leg, but not particularly over-muscled.

Origin: Las Pegasus

Occupation: Previously, his career was as a professional slacker, gambler and smooth talker. This is not exactly an occupation as such, and due to some interesting circumstances, he has had to stop this life of amusement for a more serious career, he has not succeeded in finding one yet... but prior to those circumstances arising, this was what he spent his time doing. Now... he is something of a traveller.

Motivation: Finding a new purpose for his previously meaningless life. (See character summary for details.

Likes: (optional) Games involving dice and cards, not for the gambling, simply for the thrill of not knowing the outcome. He always carries a lucky coin in his saddlebags as he travels, and when he cannot decide which path to take, he flips it, making his mind up on the toss of the coin. He has also developed a liking for seeing new things and places now.

Dislikes: (optional) Dishonesty. Cheating, not playing fair.

Character Summary: He has always lived an easy life, a blessed life, with all the creature comforts, due to the wealth of his family. However, as time passed and he grew older, he grew bored of having absolutely everything. It was true, he loved the card and dice games, they were his calling in life... and the realisation of such was the moment that he received his cutie mark... but the gambling was just an unnecessary attachment that he did not love in the same way that his parents had. Just a year ago,, his father (Rogue Gambit) was taken ill, and died shortly afterwards, having lived a life of gambling and pleasures. In Wild's eyes though... it was little more than a hollow, wasted life, without any real genuine purpose, and he, from that moment, set his heart upon finding a real meaning and purpose. He left Las Pegasus, and began his journey across equestria.

So far, he has visited a number of places, and is taking his travelling nice and slow, mixing walking and flying a good amount. As much as his natural instinct as a pegasus demands that he fly, he does actually want to take the process at a reasonable speed... he knows that if he rushes, the way he feels instinctively obliged to, he shall not take the time to think and discover everything he wishes to.

In terms of who he is, he's a fun loving sort, who is always up for whatever challenge someone will set for him, whether to win or lose, is adores the game itself... from proper games, to physical sports, he just loves to play. Outside this though, he is somewhat serious, and hard to read, and finds it hard to properly trust other ponies unless he has known them for a long time. He's quite intelligent, and very competitive, but when it comes to a pinch, he's reliable, and will always keep his word. He is also prone to helping out those in need, even if they have nothing to offer in return, because he is trying to change himself to being a better pony than he was before.

He is looking for somewhere to settle, but has been unable to find much in the way of permanent work... he's a hard and honest worker, but people do not seem to want to trust him long term because his cutie mark is not exactly one of hard work and honesty. However, he is not for a moment ashamed of it. To him, it is a mark of his true calling, and he does not regret for even a moment getting it. He will keep seeking permanent employment with optimism and hope for a new future.

He gets along with money in terms of a small allowance his family sends him as he informs them of his whereabouts in Equestria. He is still in contact with his family, and they are not angry with him for his decision, they fully support him, and are as loving as they ever were. He writes letters to them from all over Equestria, and if he is staying in a town for a few weeks, he lets them know, so that they can send him his allowance. It is his money by legal right, rather than an allowance, but he made a request that his mother only let him have a certain amount over time, so that even if he slips up, he cannot go back to his old, indulgent ways of life. He also helps make ends meet by working any part time jobs people have... delivery, heavy lifting, cart pulling... just a bit of whatever work he can find, always idly hoping that someone will have a permanent job they are willing to hire him for.

Wild2.jpg

[[Apparently this image has been showing up very dark on certain user's screens, as such, if requested, I shall upload a paled version of it]]

Edited by WildGambit

Now, I understand that one should not bump their thread or such in the applications or anything like that, and I acknowledge why that rule must be in place. However, I'm a newb here, and am mildly concerned that after two days, not a single post, comment, review or suggestion has been put on him D: Have I done something wrong? Is it a good thing or a bad thing that there's nothing being said? I'm not garnering attention, I just wish to make sure I haven't missed some critical rule or something about character application!

Someone please throw the newb a bone here and put my fears to rest ;_;

Now, I understand that one should not bump their thread or such in the applications or anything like that, and I acknowledge why that rule must be in place. However, I'm a newb here, and am mildly concerned that after two days, not a single post, comment, review or suggestion has been put on him D: Have I done something wrong? Is it a good thing or a bad thing that there's nothing being said? I'm not garnering attention, I just wish to make sure I haven't missed some critical rule or something about character application!

Someone please throw the newb a bone here and put my fears to rest ;_;

Welp, it should be noted that apps are reviewed officially once they're labeled as FINAL, and happen to find themselves on the bottom of the application form by a RP Helper. The most recently finished apps usually aren't immediately replied to, even by those who aren't Helpstaff and just happen to critique apps, unless there's a particular nitpick/obvious thing that needs to be adressed, and apps labeled as a WIP generally don't get responses intil labled as FINAL.

As for anything I could say about your application in itself...well, I don't see anything that would become a problem once he's in the Mane RP, and Wild seems to be a fleshed-out character as it is from what I can read, and bonus points for being an atoner of sorts - 'tis refeshing, methinks. There are a few grammatical errors here in there - notably, it should be 'realization' rather than 'realisation' in the first paragraph of his character summary - though I'm getting technical, and these can likely be found/fixed by reading over your app a few times over/running it through a spellcheck, like in MS Word or creating a Google Document. Otherwise, good luck on your first application! :)

Edit: Oh! And your picture of him is pretty dark on my screen, though I can still make out Wild's features. Either way, you seem like a pretty decent artist~

Well, my app has been marked final since it was put up, but thank you for putting my fears to rest about the no response within any amount of time.

As to the realisation thing, I would like it noted that I use microsoft word, and you are simply uninformed of the following... you see ... I am English, and therefore use English spelling and grammar, which differs to American. Thus Realisation as opposed to realization, there are vast numbers of such differences, plenty of others such as favour instead of favor, centre instead of center and that kind of thing ^_^ Therefore, the realisation thing is not a mistake, merely a regional difference. It's possible that I goofed up in a few places for other reasons though... not everyone is perfect after all ^_^ I'll give it another read-through.

Thank you for your kind words about Wild though, I shall be patient and see where the application goes from here.

This app is looking very strong, WildGambit!

A pony of Las Pegasus will be very useful in expanding the scope of the Equestria RP universe!

All of the app fields are in order and I DO love the excellently written backstory!

One thing I would suggest to make this app even better is a description of his cutie mark story.

Often, a detailed story of how a character got his or her cutie mark can provide readers with extra insight on the character itself.

One more point, a very minor one, is that this character does need a way to earn bits. I can totally respect that he came from a wealthy family and does not have a permanent job in general, but it's not realistic for him to be a traveller and never need more bits to pay for his lodging, food and other neccessities. If he goes from town to town and does odd jobs to earn some money, that would work. If he gets an 'allowance' from home, that would work too. As long as he has a means of acquiring bits, that will suffice.

Other than those two fairly minor things, this is a great app!

Well done!

:D:D:D

Thanks Mojo, for your praise ^_^

I shall write up a paragraph about how he got his cutie mark right away! I had it all written out in my mind, but didn't add it in because I didn't want to make the profile too long winded, but with your advice, I shall put it in ^_^

As for his bits, yeah, I had assumed that he got an allowance from his family, but as you said, there is no way anyone but me could have known that, so I simply didn't think to add it in *headdesk* I shall make a note of how he gets his bits as well.

Thanks very much for your insight, I shall get onto those things right away ^_^

Edit:There we go, added in his cutie mark story in a spoiler box to save space, and a paragraph on the end there about how gets his bits.

That's fine work, WildGambit!

Well written cutie mark story!

It certainly explains how he got his unique cutie mark.

And the Occupation field's clearer now, good job!

I'll recommend this app to a Senior RP Helper to move it along in the process.

:D:D:D:D

Whoo! ^_^ Thanks so much! <3

I'm not 100% Sure what happens now, but I'm eager to find out! ^_^

Once a moderator is available, your application will be filed away into the accepted apps folders, and you'll be added to the Roleplayers site group. Once that's all finished, you'll be able to jump into all the roleplay goodness! :)