Theories about the making of the show:

Parker_Izing

I know it is created using Flash.

But I BELIEVE I understood how exactly is made:

On some episodes, exist a brief instance of a character showing a cutie mark in inner hind tight.

Sometimes a character shows errors due to improper layering, pointing at the fact a character is made of many different layers.

On General zoi's Pony Creator can be seen, in "pose - Custom posing" you could see how interact and are assembled the different layers, I believe the show uses a similar skeleton layer array, but the edge lines are shorter, and completed for a seamless look by dynamically generated vector curves, also, I assume even the whole body is Dynamically generated (So, the program generates the body outline based on how other parts of the body are located/posed This could happen even in the head, where a 3D gridcage could establish the origin point of the different features in a 3D world made with 2D shapes.

Exhibit1

[/media]

Sadly is only in 240p resolution, and cannot be appreciated, but Celestia sports a Smily like grin, clearly half a perfect circle, because it's a line orbiting an imaginary spot placed up the snout, and due the dead on front angle it just lacks perspective of any sorts.

Also in the video series "bloopers are forever" ther are many odd things, mainly off layering.

The theory: The 2D looking show is made as 3D using some key vectors, or even just side vectors, plus a spatial geometry routine working on how the character must look at any given angle.

I created and uploaded to my gallery a model of Rarity using those theories. The results is eerily alike the show, even at first I experimented first hoof the "Two plots" that is a somewhat recursive blooper on the show (look on Lotus in "green isn't your color")

P.S. I dunno if this goes to art discussion, 'cause this helped me and can help others not blessed with talent, or goes here, cause is a theory about the show.

Let's get techincal, shall we!? :D

The show is done in Adobe Flash Professional CS5 (They've upgraded to CS6 recently, but only after the finale, which is apparent in the animation for S3 so far)

They've got what is called a "color palette" in Flash, which holds every single color that you see in the show. The way the layering is done, goes something like this:

-Side view of Pony looking toward right of screen-

Back Left leg / Back Right leg-> General (Bean-like) body / Rear right and rear left legs.-> General head shape -> Hair, eyes, and mouth / mouth effects. -> Eye lids -> Eye Lashes / Tail.

Layering the ponies like this allows them to have correct dimensional values,so that they appear "real" and "3D" whilst in a 2D setting.

The way they ake it appear as though it is a 3D world, is the way they layer everything ,which follows a similar pattern to the Pony layers.

The way they made the dramatic Fluttershy effect in "Putting Your Hoof Down" was a rather simple effect, but you can find the explanation elsewhere on the board.

I'll add more later, if necessary.

Yeah, it's not difficult, just time consuming.

It's been a long time since I animated in flash, but it probably hasn't changed much from the fundamental usage.

I am guessing they also have a flash library filled with stock pony bodies and parts they can use to fill in between key animated points by less experienced animators, and to make new body styles it takes quite a bit of building that library again. The legs themselves are definitely in 3 parts, and sometimes you can see where the joins are where different grouped symbols are being moved against each other, especially when hooves are making contact with the ground.

And further movie clips of grouped symbols to make background ponies who are just kind of shifting and blinking that just kind of run autonomously and can be plunked down for crowd scenes.

All you have to do is build that library of parts, and you can just vector trace them, and fill in between some keyframes manually for more nuanced movement and expression changes and you could do a fair job of re-creating a scene or two.

Yeah, I've actually dabbled around in some Flash assets from the show and the games in CS3 (that's what I have :P ), there are a lot of symbols! If you look at Pinkie's mane, it looks like every single line is its own symbol... I always been thinking to do some animation things with MLP... except I don't really know how to use Flash very well...

Guys, c'mon. Let's be serious for a moment here.

The show is made by a cabal of witches hired by Hasbro who preform obscene rites under each new moon to create the hypnotic combination of colors which they then broadcast globally via the net under the guise of iTunes downloads and various "Fan" Youtube posters (who are in reality Hasbro Acolytes).

The witches travel to the ethereal plane to rest every summer, as their power is weakest on the summer solstice (a time when their mortal enemies, the Dryad, are most powerful).

Once the first leaves of autumn begin to fall and the Veil becomes weaker with the approach of All Hallows Eve, the Cabal return to their rituals and incantations again to bring about the new season of pony.

As a closely guarded prophecy foretells, the number of hypnotized adults globally will reach into the billions by the 5th cycle. Hasbro will air a final 'broadcast' which will be a cleverly disguised subliminal message calling Hasbro's sleeper army to arms. With over 1 billion soldiers permeating every aspect of every society, government, and military; total global dominion will take only a matter of hours.

The Dryads of Fox entertainment have been working feverishly to try and undermine Hasbro's plans, but they learned far too late to be effective at stopping it. Their resources are too few, and their hypnotic magic is much weaker than the Cabal of Hasbro. They well attempt to rally the unaffected during the summer seasons to come. And before the 5th cycle begins, there will be a battle of wills across the net for supremacy. Casualties will number in the thousands.

• Like 2

Guys, c'mon. Let's be serious for a moment here.

The show is made by a cabal of witches hired by Hasbro who preform obscene rites under each new moon to create the hypnotic combination of colors which they then broadcast globally via the net under the guise of iTunes downloads and various "Fan" Youtube posters (who are in reality Hasbro Acolytes).

The witches travel to the ethereal plane to rest every summer, as their power is weakest on the summer solstice (a time when their mortal enemies, the Dryad, are most powerful).

Once the first leaves of autumn begin to fall and the Veil becomes weaker with the approach of All Hallows Eve, the Cabal return to their rituals and incantations again to bring about the new season of pony.

As a closely guarded prophecy foretells, the number of hypnotized adults globally will reach into the billions by the 5th cycle. Hasbro will air a final 'broadcast' which will be a cleverly disguised subliminal message calling Hasbro's sleeper army to arms. With over 1 billion soldiers permeating every aspect of every society, government, and military; total global dominion will take only a matter of hours.

The Dryads of Fox entertainment have been working feverishly to try and undermine Hasbro's plans, but they learned far too late to be effective at stopping it. Their resources are too few, and their hypnotic magic is much weaker than the Cabal of Hasbro. They well attempt to rally the unaffected during the summer seasons to come. And before the 5th cycle begins, there will be a battle of wills across the net for supremacy. Casualties will number in the thousands.

Seems legit. And, um, when we do get called to arms and dominate the world, I'll lead the air forces into battle, OK?