Completely New to Forum-Based RPs; Help

BrainedBySaucepans

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the site, but I already love the atmosphere and would like to get more involved. The next logical step seems to be the RP section, but here's where I hit a snag; I've never been part of a forum-based RP system before.1 If the questions I have are all covered elsewhere, I sincerely apologise, and would request that someone point me in the right direction, but my searches3 did nothing but confuse me further.4

Where should I start? How do I create a character? Do they have to be a character shown briefly in the show or can they be an OC? What are the rules governing what you can and can't do when creating a character? Once I've created a character what then?5

As you can see, I have many questions and few answers. Overall, what I'm after is a general guide of how the whole RP works.6

--------

1 Don't worry, I'm not a total newb to RP in general; I got into MLP because several friends at my LARP group2 highly recommended it, and I've participated in my share of tabletop RP campaigns, it's the bits specific to how it works on a forum I'm confused about.

2 By the way, if any Brits on here are interested in trying out LARP (Live Action Role Play), I am the co-founder of a fairly new system which is actively recruiting at the moment. We have a sci-fi setting and hold 3-4 events a year, plus meet-ups at conventions etc. Send me a message if this intrigues you.

3 Which I freely admit I didn't spend more than ten minutes on.

4 Mainly because the threads I found dealt with quite specific questions, and what I'm after is more of a general overview of the entire process, start to finish.

5 What would you do for a Klondike bar? What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

6 I don't ask for much.

Try checking over the Roleplay For Newbies Guide. That will get you set on the right track and explain the basics of our RP. There is also a section for Roleplaying Rules, where there are guides, tutorials, and rules. Try checking those out first. :)

Also, please keep in mind that forum RP is NOTHING like tabletop. No dice, no battles... just story. It's pretty easy, once you get it.

I think this is what you want: http://www.canterlot...wbies-guide-r29

But I'll see if I can answer some basic stuff for you.

"Where should I start?"

If you already have a character created and approved, you can practically start anywhere. You can start your own thread or you can join an existing one. Just make sure that you ask permission to join some threads before jumping in blindly. Some groups like to talk it out in PM what they're going to do in the RP.

"How do I create a Character?"

You'll want this: http://www.canterlot...plication-form/

"Do they have to be a character shown briefly in the show or can they be an OC?

Both. You can create as many OCs as you like but for Cast Characters in the show, there's a special process for applying them. Some Cast slots are taken so look at the available list for them. It's best to read the link I gave above.

"What are the rules governing what you can and can't do when creating a character?"

See the link on that I posted above under "how do I create a character".

"Once I've created a character what then?"

Wait for it to be approved then you can start RPing in the appropriate RP sections (Mane RP, Free for All, Crossovers, etc).

EDIT: Lol Tales ninja'd me! Anyway, if you prefer tabletop PNP RPGs we have a few groups doing Ponies and Dragons (Dungeons and Dragons) and Fallout Equestria PNP, with the whole rulebooks and dice experience.

It looks like your questions have been answered, so I'll throw in my two bits: If you're creating a character for World of Equestria (Mane RP), it helps to keep that character in the spirit of FiM. For Crossovers and Free for All, you have more freedom to make a character outside of the pony norm. That's not to say that creating a Mane RP character should be a tedious or boring task -- or that such designed characters should be boring -- but it should be approached a different way than if you were designing a character for the latter two roleplay environments.

Creating an approved Mane RP character application will get you moved to the "Roleplayers" user group, which will enable you to make posts in the roleplaying area (except Free for All, which you may play in now, if you like).

As for the roleplay itself, I think the best way to describe it is like you're joint-writing an extended fanfic with other people, except you each independently control a character in that story.

Thanks to all of you, that seems to cover everything I wanted to know for now. I won't be showing up in RP right away,1 but I'll be getting stuff ready whenever I have a spare moment.

--------

1 I have two priorities right now, job hunting and animation.2

2 And fnord. Always fnord.