Findin' Friendship (Finished)

Lux

"Dont'cha wurry none bout that, Miss Cinnamon," Sheriff Silverstar said with a smile. "I'm sure yur singin' won't cause no trouble."

"It's true," added Louise LaMare, "few buffalo ever come to town, they mostly come to the orchard to pick up their apple pies and then leave."

"Yeah, don't fret about that, young lady," Doc Holly Day said, "we'd love to hear ya sing and play!"

"We'll do that later, but fer now, onto the Clock Tower!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed as the lawpony led the way towards it.

Apple Cinnamon breathed a sigh of relief at the fact that there wasn't going to be and trouble in the forseeable future between the ponies and the buffaly. It might have been a fluke occurrence.

"Well ah'm glad that things are back to normal. So yes, ah'd like to see this clock tower. Does it have a lookout area or somethin?"

"Sure does!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed. "It's got a lot of balconeys and space inside it! We'll show ya!"

"I've been in the tower once before," Louise LaMare giggled, "the Sheriff forgot it was almost noon, and we were in there when all the bells rung, twelve times!"

"That was a mistake on my part, Miss LaMare," the mustached lawpony said, looking a little embarrassed. "Won't make that mistake agin'!"

"Sheriff, I think I saw some moment up thar," Doc Holly Day said, pointing a hoof up towards the face of the clock. "Saw someone through that tiny window jist above the '6'."

"Who would want to go inside the Clock Tower at this time of day?"

"I'm the only pony in town who's got the key to git in, this here don't make sense," Sheriff Silverstar said.

Apple Cinnamon wickered in delight at going into the clock tower. It was a chance at seeing something that most ponies didn't see.

"Well ah' can see where bein' stuck in a belltower when it's ringin' away could be a problem."

Sheriff Silverstar and louise were then mentioning about seeing something in the window of the tower. It was further unnerving when the Sheriff mentioned he was the only pony that had a key.

"Well ah' don't like the sound of that. Y'all don't happen to have any ghost ponies hauntin' Appleoosa, do you?"

"Thar ain't no ghosts in Appleoosa, Miss Cinnamon," Sheriff Silverstar said in a whispered tone. "You two gals stay here, us guys'll go have a look at who's up in the tower."

"Yeah, we'll handle this," added Doc Holly Day.

"Just a minute!" Louise LaMare neighed. "We ladies aren't helpless, y'know! Besides, I can fly up there faster than any of you to take a look at the situation!"

"Come back here!" the mustached lawpony shouted as Louise flapped her wings and flew up towards the small window in the clock face. When she peeked inside, there was a sudden scream coming from inside followed by the unmistakable sound of somepony tumbling down the staircase. Suddenly, the door on street level flew open and a familiar light green Pegasus rolled out.

5Rqq0s.jpg

Professor Clyde Krashkop

"Professor Krashkop?" Doc Holly Day asked the elderly clumsy Pegasus. "What in tarnation are YOU doin' here?"

"I vas servicing dee clockvorks, Herr Doctor," the Professor spoke in his broken Germaney accent as he got back up on his four hooves, "dis machinery alvays vill need close inspection und adjustments from time to time. Since I am dee vone who repaired dis clock in dee first place, I feel responsible to keep it running properly."

"Wow! I plumb fergot you was a comin' to town fer that," Sheriff Silverstar neighed. "Miss Apple Cinnamon, this is Professor Clyde Krashkop, retired from the University of Canterlot!"

"Fraulein Cinnamon, it is mein pleasure to meetcha!" the Professor said, reaching his hoof out to shake.

Apple Cinnamon was reassured by Sheriff Silverstar about there being no ghosts. But that still didn't answer the fact of who was in the tower. Before Doc Holly Day and the Sheriff could investigate, Louise flew up to the tower. There was a thumping sound and out came a strange looking green pony who was identified as Professor Krashkop. His unusual appearance was only heightned by his unusual accent. There were some ponies that thought that AC's accent was funny, but his was one she never heard.

"Well it's nice meetin' you too Professor. So, yer a retired professor. What did you teach before retirin'?"

"I vas a Professor of Applied Physics, fraulein," Professor Krashkop said, "I am still inventing tings und I love to travel. Vhen I heard how dis town lost it's clock tower, I came here to help fix it! Und it vas fun to rebuild dis clock, vith a few of mein own improvements."

"Improvements? How can ya improve on a clock?" Sheriff Silverstar asked.

"Come vith me und I vill show you!" the elderly Pegasus neighed.

"Well Apple Cinnamon, looks like we're going to get a guided tour today," Louise said.

"I'd like to see this myself," added Doc Holly Day,

:"Alright Perffesser, lead the way," the Sheriff said as the group entered the door and began their ascent up the long, winding staircase.

Now Apple Cinnamon was no scientist, but she knew a thing or two. She knew what physics were from her parents as they taught her about pulleys and fulcrums, and gravity as she worked. She also knew that a clock, although complex in how it operated with its gears and springs, was a simple device. She remembered her father keeping a timepiece on him to make sure things at the farm were moving along smoothly.

"Well, ah'd like to see these improvements you made to this clock, an' it seems others want to know as well."

With that she followed the other ponies up the spiraling staircase to the very top.

As the group reaches the top of the stairs, Professor Krashkop opened the door leading to the inner chamber of the huge clock. Inside there are huge metal gears meshing together that turn the huge outside hands of the outer clock face,

"Perfesser, I reckon ya did change a few of them do-hickies in here after the Buffalo incident," Sheriff Silverstar said, wide eyed in amazement.

"Is that a Babbage device I see in the center of the clockworks?" asked Doc Holly Day.

"A Babbage device?" Louise LaMare asked.

"Ja! It is a Babbage device! A mechanical precision timekeeping vorks, dose thin metal pipes all running together in dee shape of an metal box! Dat along vith dee self vinding springvorks on dee other side vill keep dis clock running all hours of dee day und night. Tell me, Doctor, how do you know of dee Babbage device?"

"I studied some physics when I was in the Canterlot U. School of Medicine," the red maned unicorn said, "I know the theory and principle behind the Babbage engine, saw a diagram of Dr. Babbage's origin design. I must say, Professor, I've never seen one built to this large a scale."

"It had to be large to regulate dis big clockvorks, Herr Doctor."

"This is truly amazing, Professor Krashkop! The town of Appleoosa certainly owes you a lot."

"Dat is nice of you to say, fraulein, but I am happy to have volunteered mein knowledge und time to dis noble cause! Vhat do you tink of all dis, fraulien Cinnamon?"

Apple Cinnamon's eyes seemed to glaze over when the ponies were discussing the Babbage device. She wasn't a very technical pony, and when others started talking about the process or inner workings of something, it went over her head. But she at least was able to get the gist of what they were saying about the device to hold a conversation.

"Well ah'm not much of a technical pony mahself, but ah' can say Professor that if yer improvements help ponies to not have to wind the clock so many times that ah' think it's great!"

"Danka, fraulein Cinnamon!" the happy green Pegasus neighed. "Dis vas a chance for me to take all dat applied physics I vas teaching in dee classroom und use it for someting truly vonderba!"

"Absoltively!" neighed Sheriff Silverstar, "this here's one dandy piece of work!"

"Truly amazing!" added Louise LaMare. "Professor, if you're finished with this, would you care to join us? The Sheriff, Doc Holly Day and I are showing our new friend around town."

"The more the merrier!" Doc Holly Day spoke.

"JA! I vould love dat!" the gray maned Pegasus neighed. "Give me vone minute und den I vill be ready to go."

Apple Cimmanon was pleased that the Professor was happy at his latest creation. She likened his invention to be like when she played her fiddle or sang. It was creativity and imagination flowing forth like a wave, bring joy to those who used it and to others.

The other ponies reccomended that Professor Khashkop join then as they took Apple on the tour.

"Well ah' thank that would be a wonderful idea to meet another pony. Where should we go next then?"

(Mind if Thorn makes an appearance? :) )

Thorn was on yet another errand for Bistro, returning from a carryout order to the metalsmiths.

He slowed down as he saw a green pegasus ple out of the clocktower, with the sherrif and Louise nearby.

The jack trotted on over "Good morning everypony, and good morning Miss, I am Thorn Donkey."

He looked on over to Professor Klyde "And good morning to you as well, sir. What seems to be all the excitement today sherrif? I was just returning from a delivery. whtever is going on at the metalsmiths seems tiring enough for several "Midnight Watch" brews to have been included in the order."

(ooc: VERY glad you're in now, Boss!)

"Good morning, Mr. Thorne," Louise LaMare said, "Thorne, this is our new friend Apple Cinnamon. Apple Cinnamon, this is Thorne, he works at Madam Bistro's, a wonderful hotel and restaurant nearby. It's getting close to noon anyway, why don't we all go to Madam Bistro's for lunch?"

"Now that's a dandy idear, Miss LaMare," added Sheriff Silverstar. "What do ya say, folks?"

"I'm all for that!" Doc Holly Day neighed as the loud rumbling of Professor Krashkop's stomach echoed all around.

"Voops!" the embarrassed elderly Pegasus stallion spoke. "I tink having lunch right now vould be vonderba!"

• 3 weeks later...

(Doh! I missed this one)

Apple Cinnamon was pleased to meet yet another pony with Professor Krashkop. Perhaps finding friends was not as hard as she first imagined it to be. Then a new pony, or in this case a donkey, showed up and introduced himself as Thorn. Apple Cinnamon had never met a donkey before in her life, but he seemed very friendly and very much like the other ponies she met in her travels.

[colour=#006400]Well howdy there Thorn! It's mighty nice to meet you as well. So you work at a hotel an' a bistro? Well ah'd say that you have a corner on the market there for two needed things: food and a place to lay one's head if they're passin' through."[/colour]

The group mentioned breaking for lunch, which was punctuated by the Professor's stomach rumbling loudly in agreement.

[colour=#006400]"Well ah' think that seein' what's cooking at the bistro is a great idea. Lead the way Mr. Thorn!"[/colour]

Thorn brayed a laugh as Professor Krashkop's stomach growled.[colour=#696969] "That is a fine idea, and we are introducing the Cherrychanga at the Appleoosa location today after a few private taste tests to get it right. Our cherry supplier gave us the recipie to increase the demand."[/colour]

He turned to Apple Cinnamon[colour=#696969] "Well, Miss Cinnamon, I wouldnt say Bistro's Bed and Breakfast corners the market entirely with a saloon and an inn in town, but Madam Bistro always builds as close to the train station as she can with her chain of B&B bistros."[/colour]

He puffed his chest out in pride as he led the way to the Bistro[colour=#696969] "With the buildup for the new railroad coming, this is the first of her locations that's going to expand and become a full sized hotel. If things work out right, I'll be the Hotel Manager."[/colour]

Thorn noticed they had arrived and trotted up to the door, opening it for everypony.[colour=#696969] "Here we are. It looks like we arrived just before the lunch rush. Would you like your usual seats, Sherrif Silverstar and Louise?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Yes, that would be lovely Mr Thorne, thank you," [/colour]Louise said with a smile.

[colour=#8B4513]"Absoltively!" [/colour]added Sheriff Silverstar.

[colour=#696969]"Miss Cinnamon, would you like to share a table with us two old stallions?" [/colour]Doc Holly Day asked.

[colour=#008000]"Old? OLD! Speak for yourself, Herr Doctor!" [/colour]Professor Krashkop snorted as the walking Pegasus turned his head to address the red mustached unicorn. [colour=#008000]"Age is just a state of mind, und I am still young at heart! Mein reflexes are even BETTER den vhen I vas a young colt! Old indeed!"[/colour]

Not watching where he was going, the gray maned Pegasus soon collided with one of the front wooden pillars on the deck of Madam's Bistro, collasping to the ground like a ton of bricks.

[colour=#FF0000]"Professor!" [/colour]Louise shouted.

[colour=#8B4513]"You ok, Professer?" [/colour]the Sheriff asked.

[colour=#696969]"Whoa! That was a nasty bump there friend," [/colour]Doc Holly Day said as the Professor got up on his four hooves.

[colour=#008000]"I am quite vell," [/colour]Professor Krashkop said, though his legs were a bit wobbly under him. He squinted a little as double vision caused the elderly stallion to see at least three of everypony in front of him. [colour=#008000]"C'mon mein friends, let's get inside before dis huge crowd of ponies takes all dee tables!"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"I think we'll need to order one icepack fer the Professor's head," [/colour]Doc said, trying not to giggle.

[colour=#006400]"Oh thast's right," [/colour]Apple Cinnamon said to Thorn, [colour=#006400]"Ah plum fergot that there was the inn and saloon. But it sounds like that you don't have much competition here. An' you said that Madame Bistro's is a chain? That's interestin' as I don' think ah've seen one in Fillydelphia where ahm' from or where mah kin are in Ponyville. But ah' can see that you'd be thinkin' about expandin' with a new train an' all."[/colour]

[colour=#006400] "Don't mind I ah do," [/colour]Apple Cinnamon said with a smile at Sheriff Silverstar's and Doc Holly Day's offer of joining their table.

Suddenly the pleasant atmosphere was broken by Professor Krashkop slamming into a porch pillar. She cringed at the sight, knowing that it must have hurt. But, strangely enough. the pegasus got up just fine. Maybe the number of collisions and falls he had caused him to magically be immune to pain.

[colour=#006400]"Um... beggin yer pardon Professor Krashkop, but there's not a huge crowd of ponies comin' into the Bistro. It's just us right now."[/colour]

The mare realized that the pegasus must be seeing double the amount of ponies around him, especially with a hit like that.

Thorn gave a wry smile and a shake of his head and put a hoof on the professor's shoulder "[colour=#696969]Let me guide you sir. Right this way."[/colour]

He leads the professor in and heads to a convenient table adjacent to the one the sherrif and Louise frequent.[colour=#696969] "Here you are sir. Just st right down here."[/colour]

He calls over to Madam Bistro, dressed in her daytime apron [colour=#696969]"Icebag for this gentleman, Madam, he hit his head on one of the pillar beams."[/colour]

The Mocha Mare nodded[colour=#800000] "Coming right up[/colour]

While waiting, he turned to the group, and smiled at Apple Cinnamon. [colour=#696969]"You have not been to one of her other locations yet? I believe you are in for a treat. We are ready to serve lunch so we have everything from sandwiches to tea. Ice cream, Pies, and our new cherrychangas should be fresh for dessert as well."[/colour]

As Thorn helped the Professor to the table, the others joined him there and heard Thorn's words.

[colour=#FF0000]"Cherrychangas!" [/colour]Louise shouted with joy. [colour=#FF0000]"I heard those were invented in Dodge Junction and named by Pinkie Pie!"[/colour]

Immediately, stern looks of anger came upon the faces of Sheriff Silverstar and Doc Holly Day. Other ponies gathered in the dining also glanced over with mean looks at the group.

[colour=#8B4513]"Miss LaMare," [/colour]the mustached lawpony whispered. [colour=#8B4513]"Ya know ya ain't supposed to say that thar name in public round here."[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Vhat? Vhat name? Pinkie Pie?" [/colour]Professor Krashkop asked. [colour=#008000]"She und her friends are heroes of Equestria!"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"Pipe down, Perfesser," [/colour]Doc Holly Day pleaded. [colour=#696969]"It was her caterwallin' that caused the buffalo attack on the town during the great Buffalo War. Didn't ya read about that?"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Nein. How could singing start a var?"[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Don't ask," [/colour]Sheriff Silverstar said, [colour=#8B4513]"Hows about we change the subject to food? I'm as hungry as a horse myself!"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Yes, let's order," [/colour]Louise said as she turned towards Apple Cinnamon. [colour=#FF0000]"They do have a nice Blue Plate Special for lunch, I would highly recommend it."[/colour]

Apple Cinnamon felt her mouth begin to water when she heard Thorn mention the number of great food items the Bistro had. But she had to quickly stiffle her ravenous hunger or else she'd turn into a drooling mess. There was much celebration for a certain treat called a cherrychunga, especially from Louise.

Apple Cinnamon was then taken aback at how suddenly there was an outcry against the mentioning of a pony named Pinkie Pie. Never had she heard such a backlash against a pony, either in Fillydelphia or in Appleoosa. She wondered how exactly dancing and singing could cause a war.

[colour=#006400]"Um... if singin and dancin could cause a war, ah'd better watch what I play since that's what I do. Ah' wouldn't want to start any trouble like Pink... ah' mean she did."[/colour]

Louise then reccommended the Blue Plate Special.

[colour=#006400]"You know what? Ah'll have the Blue Plate Special, a glass of iced tea, an' one of them cherrychungas please!"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

Thorn chuckled and shook his head, making his ears flap a bit

[colour=#696969]"We came to Appleoosa after all that mess ourselves so we do not fully understand it, but we recommend trying your music on the two or three buffalo that come to town and ask if that is acceptable before the others hear it. They are the most accepting members of the local herd. "[/colour]

He nodded as he took down everyponys order and handed the sheet off to Madam Bistro as she brought an icepack for the Professor.

[colour=#800000]"All right everypony. your orders will be out quite soon, and I hope the ice pack will help you Professor Krashkop." [/colour]

With that, the Mocha mare trotted off to get the order going while Thorn stayed to keep the conversation going.

[colour=#008000]"Danka fraulein Bistro," [/colour]Professor Krashkop said, taking the ice pack and placing it on his head. [colour=#008000]"Dat vas a more nasty ka-knock on mein head den I thought it vas."[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"I'm sure you'll be fine in no time," [/colour]Louise said as she turned towards Apple Cinnamon. [colour=#FF0000]"I'm looking forward to hearing you perform."[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Absotively!" [/colour]added Sheriff Silverstar.

[colour=#696969]"By the way, Miss Cinnamon, where did you learn to play the fiddle?" [/colour]Doc Holly Day asked, [colour=#696969]"did you take formal lessons?"[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"So Thorn, how have things been goin' here at the Bistro? Seen any unsavory characters here lately?" [/colour]the mustached lawpony asked.

Apple Cinnamon was glad that Professor Krashkop felt better with the ice pack on his head. Although the collision with the proch pillar wasn't major, it definitely looked painful.

[colour=#006400]"Hmmm.... maybe ah' can play fer a few buffalo that come into town," [/colour]Apple Cinnamon said towards Thorn and louise's replies, [colour=#006400]"Of course ah' want many ponies to here me play too! Ah'm sure nothin' that ah' sing about is going to cause a problem. Unless of course they don't like songs about traveling an' family an' the simple life."[/colour]

Apple Cinnamon then heard Doc Holly Day menton about how Apple Cinnamon learned how to play.

[colour=#006400]"Well, it's an interestin' story actually. Mah grandfather was a fiddle player. Unfortunately ah' never got the cance to meet him. Now mah mother had a singin' voice so sweet that she could charm the apples off a tree. Well one day as a filly ah' was poking around the house a little. It was rainin' somethin' fierce outside so ah' had to stay indoors. Ah' then went up into the attic to see what was stored. It was then ah' found this old fiddle. It was like it was callin' me, asking me to play it after all those years. So I started playin' and ah' found ah' took to that fiddle like a duck takes to water! So ah' kept on playing an' then learned how to sing from mah mother. An' that's when this here cutie mark appeared after makin' up mah own song!"[/colour]

• 1 month later...

(OOC: ugh, finally getting back into the swing of things. Sorry for the massive delays from illness)

Thorn brayed softly and shook his head in reply to the sherrif. [colour=#696969]"No, nopony that really stands out. We've had tourists and visitors of all kinds, but the outlaw types are more interested in the Salt Block." [/colour]

After that, he looked at Apple Cinnimon [colour=#696969]"Oh I am sure they'll appreciate those songs. Sounds like Buffalo and Ponies arent that much different since they value those things."[/colour]

He clopped his hooves together happily at her tale [colour=#696969]"Fascinating! Is it a magic fiddle, do you think? or just part of the family legacy?" [/colour]