Offer: Research your OCs to compare to g1, g2, g3 Ponies.

flutterscotch

So, I have been collecting ponies since 1995. I've kept up on each generation as it came out with the exception of the Hasbro core 7 + g 3.5 which barely count. And I was extremely active in the MLPArena Nirvana forums for years, which chronicle the bizarro 80's foreign releases. Ridiculous amounts of useless knowledge to the point that if you showed me a pic of a pile of common ponies with one rare Greek pony in it, I'd notice (and used to make money buying lots that way).

So, if you want to know if your OC resembles a G1, G2 or G3 pony (whether that is something you WANT for ease of customs, or it is something you DON'T want because you want your pony to be unique), post its name and description here (or a drawing if you have one) and if I don't recognize it offhand, I will research it for you.

The report will include: Ponies that have similar cutie marks, names, and mane/pelt combinations.

Edit: About the "custom" portion of the report.

While there may be several ponies that could technically, in the essence of brevity I am limiting the ease of customizing to the following criteria: No full-body painting or dyeing involved, and (besides the obvious repainting of the symbol which I am not counting), two additional forms of customization: either rerooting, dyeing the hair or sculpting, but no more than a combination of the two.

"Minimal effort" means you will only have to either sculpt, dye or reroot, but not more than one. If there are too many to list, I am just going to name a handful of the most easily found and put "etc".

Male ponies add an additional challenge since there were NO male unicorns or Pegasi in G1, only a handful of males in g2 (mostly Unicorns) and no males in g3. So there will be a little bit of "fudging" going on there.

I am including the custom part of the report whether you customize or not, it just helps show what other ponies yours might be similar to.

This really sounds interesting I hope you can do both my OC's.

Sir Knightly:

Tobias Salil:

Sir Knightly, (still researching)

there were no knight themed ponies. There were plenty of princesses, and one baby boy pony who had a dragon on his flank.

While this guy is similar on coloring to a lot of other ponies, it is possibly the most common color combination of a white pelt with pinkish reddish hair. Very few Pegasi, though and certainly no canon characters (only a few oddball variants who never matched the official art anyway)

Symbol-wise, though, nothing.

For a custom of your character:

If you ever wanted to make a custom of him, about the only pony you could use with minimal effort is G3's Daisy May who is girly (and from experience, of you were to do so, get pure acetone. That pink on her wings is a pain to get off). Or Yum Yum from the G1 like who you would have to dye the pale pink hair of. Brazilian Truly as well, but you'd have to remove the green streaks.

For the males, your only hope would be to reroot Chief or Daddy Apple Delight and give him wings.

There are countless regular ponies with a white body and a darker pink mane (in g1, the birthflower ponies, li'l tot,mommy apple delight...etc in g3 too many to list)

Tobias Done.

Tobias is ALL clear. There was only one singular red My Little Pony ever and he was comic book themed. And not a pegasus.

And his symbol, nothing comes close.

For a custom of your character:

Your ONLY option without painting is the 2007 Comic Con pony:

medscaleHAS-MLP-SDCC07-63901.jpg

And I can only think of one offhand that even had hair that matched your mane:

ArtPonyPop_400_L_hasbro.jpg

I've always been curious about Thunder Boomer. I know of a couple offhand with similar pelt/mane combos, but I'd like to hear what you come up with.

Thunder Boomer Still researching. I feel like there is a baby pony somewhere I am missing.

Thunder Boomer's pretty good. He has a few elements similar with other ponies from other generations, but nothing that could identify him with one pony. About the only pony mane/coat combo I can thing he resembles is Tootsie from g1 and it's not exact, and she's not a pegasus

Symbol-wise, he's close to the UK Mountain Boy pony Lightening, name's similar to Thundercloud.

For a custom of your character:My friend, the only way you are getting a g1 male representation of Thunder Boomer is to add wings to and reroot either baby Leaper or Mountain Boy Ice Crystal (which at his price I would not recommend) and give him wings. These guys would be close, but definitely too pastel. You could get away with Baby Paws who is much bluer, maybe.

The easiest, most minimal effort, if you don't care about the girly body is to reroot Brush and Grow Braided Beauty.

Other, custom-wise in terms of color: if you don't care about the girly body, would be to dye Medley's hair 9too blue, though), Tootsie (g1, just add wings and a streak), Tropical Surprise (who is way too BLUE, with too many hair colors., but she's kind of similar overall color combination)(g3)

The color green of Thunder Boomer's pelt is tough. The only ponies ever made in a brilliant light green were Lofties, Flutterbyes and a few other oddball variants from Argentina. Hasbro doesn't like green ponies.

Edited for a more uniform format.

I don't think any previous pony resembles Wisp, but who knows... you may find something.

There is an art pony (with no real official name) who has a black pelt and a blue mane, but it is not a unicorn. But if you wanted to make a custom this would be the quickest way from point a to finished one. Just add horn and cutie mark.

Other than that there are definitely no black ponies that aren't special editions for adult collectors only: (the only other two are a comic Con pony and one of the MLP Project ponies) . Definitely ponies with ghosts as their cutie mark.

g3_darkswirl_artpony.jpg

There is a G3 Breezie pony named Willow Wisp, in yellow and orange tones. No relation :D (that little weird thing with the antennas)

P1010007.jpg

• 3 months later...