Temperature dilemma in Equestria

Bright Glow

hi hi

Last I checked, this wasn't an application for the Mane RP. This was some people having fun trying to solve a puzzle that might not have a solution. Magic and science seem to get along well enough in Equestria, I don't see why they can't get along on these forums.

((Sometimes its just fun to take random pieces and see if they can't fit together. How will you know until you try?))

hi hi

Last I checked, this wasn't an application for the Mane RP. This was some people having fun trying to solve a puzzle that might not have a solution. Magic and science seem to get along well enough in Equestria, I don't see why they can't get along on these forums.

((Sometimes its just fun to take random pieces and see if they can't fit together. How will you know until you try?))

You and I both know full well that people will grasp on to anything outlined on this forum, or outside of it, and try to apply it to their applications if there is even a modicum of reasonable rationale. As well as the fact that these discussions serve as springboards for suggested lore.

But fine, point made. I will shut up and you can diligently hammer out all the implied mystery and wonder in Equestria amongst yourselves all you want until it's what you consider 100% scientifically accurate. But I will argue tooth and nail if it's entered into suggested lore or in applications.

I just don't get why when there's this ENTIRE side of how things work that falls under the umbrella of magic that has not been fully explored, that leaves endless room for creativity and innovation, as well as direct contradictions within its own laws (and can't be disproven by any kind of physical, natural law Earth is guided by) why people still insist on attempting to explain it within the realm of the mundane. It just seems way more self-limiting and absolute to try to apply knowledge of the way things work on Earth than saying "magic did it". Who knows, maybe the way some of the magic works DOES parallel accepted terrestrial scientific principles, but it's just not always going to.

hi hi

I'm not trying to be dismissive. I'm was wondering why people need to be dismissive. I don't understand why it is so hard to work together on this. I don't understand why it is so poisonous for people to share their ideas and discuss them. Why does it need to involve fighting?

My skin is not as thick as I wish it was, thats why I stay out of the mane RP. I don't want to have to stay out of here too. :(

This is getting a bit heavy. I understand both points of view:

-- It is fun to hash out and play the world builder game and work out exactly how the various aspects of the world of FiM work, from unicorn magic to ambient temperature. This being FiM discussion, people are more than welcome to chat about and hash out such things, use those ideas in their art, fanfiction, and their own RP threads (as long as its not breaking any rules).

-- That being said much of what does happen and how things work as far as the RP world we are creating is indeed best explained as "done by magic"; because it is very difficult, in not impossible, to marry much of how Equestria is portrayed and real world physics/chemistry/biology, etc. For that reason, one of the approaches (and one I advocate) for the lore is the KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) method, and not over-complicate things with real-world restraints that can't really work. We do this so the RPers are not unnecessarily constrained and their stories restricted by all sort of exacting and minute rules on how everything one may come across in the land is supposed to function.

I understand the desire. I am one of those science people who seek rational explanation for everything in the real world and love to world build as well. I had to realize early on that some things cannot be adequately explained tot he point of making it lore or fanon . For me that was through astronomy, the whole royal sisters raising the Sun and Moon just does not jive with real astrophysics no matter how hard I try. It dawned on me I was trying to shove a square peg in a round hole, and at that point I had to accept in that case, its a magic world with magic physics and that is just how the Sun and Moon works and be happy with that :)

In short it is fun to world build and come up with ideas, go nuts. For the lore we just have to balance between explanation and RP freedom with a strong eye on the fact that some stuff can never be adequately explained to all other than "they can do it through magic", and that is enough. In an individual RP thread if the participates want to go further than that, that's fine, it doesn't make it official as far as lore goes nor would any other RP thread have to follow those minute workings.

in the end its all about balance so folks can have the most fun in a world that is magical and whimsical. :)

I hope that helps.

Remember man, we are here to have fun! Don't make me use the Party Cannon! :D