Revolution: A Hoof in the Dark (Open: OOC Discussion)

Hello, every pony! Due to the recent discussion I have had with my fellow MLP fans on the "Solar Empire vs New Lunar Republic" thread in the Brony Chatter section, an idea occurred to me for an RP. Now, I am not entirely sold on this yet, so that is why I'd like to get your opinions on this :)

Plot:

"...the tides of fate twist and churn, carrying with them crests bloodied by those caught in its havoc. After several hundreds of years of peace under the rule of the Principality of Equestria, it has finally been cast aside by those who sought a way out of the ever-present stasis they had been under. Revolution, of course, is a bloody affair...few could have expected less. Led by a hoof in the shadows, a powerful organization of ponies known as the New Equestrian Order began to spread its influence, telling of their plans for a grander, better Equestria. Fueled by their philosophies, the uprisings began as a few small clashes with local law enforcement in several towns across the nation, quickly becoming full-on rebellions within Equestria's major cities. The cities to the north and south fell first, Manehatten and Stalliongrad being the biggest source of the radicals. In an effort to quell the threat against their kingdom, the Princesses Celestia and Luna formed a coalition to bring down the New Equestrian Order...this ended up to be a mistake. After failed negotiations with the ponies of Manehatten and Stalliongrad, Celestia ordered the cities purged of the rebels...something she had not done in over a millenium.

Serving as a martyr, the destruction of the two major cities fanned the passionate flames of the Revolution, flags bearing the New Equestrian Order's symbolic stars sprouting everywhere. Within months, what had been a couple misguided cities became outright anarchy. The New Equestrian Order, having planned this fiasco over the past hundred years, now finally unveiled their plans...bringing forth their stores of war and building armies practically over night. Throughout the Revolution, the words "Remember Manehatten and Stalliongrad" echoed out of the mouths of nearly every pony in Equestria. The fighting grew bloody and tiresome, the Royal Equestrian Army quickly losing ground and eventually pushed back to Equestria's heart-land.

The last open-scale battle of the NEO Revolution occurred in the dreaded Everfree Forest, destroying many of it and leaving Ponyville in ruins. With victory in their hooves, the New Equestrian Order had their forces divert all attention to Canterlot..enlisting the help of Changelings in their endeavor to bring the mighty capital down. With the help of the Changeling Queen, Chrysalis, the siege of Canterlot was swiftly handled by the combined forces, and the entire Royal Family was executed in a glorious blaze of glory...fitting for the destruction they had caused at the Martyr Cities. With the official fall of the capital, the rebels declared the Equestrian Principality dead...and the New Equestrian Order renamed themselves the Grand Equestrian Federation, bringing about the end of an age and the beginning of a new era.

Now, Equestria begins to pick itself up from the ashes, waiting for the day that their promised glory will arrive. With the power given to the Grand Equestrian Federation, many laws have been set in place, and the rebuilding of the shattered nation is in progress. Despite the crushing defeat, there are still Loyalists who continue to fight against the GEF, but their numbers are few and they are ill-supplied. Among the reconstruction of the land is Ponyville, New Manehatten, Great Stalliongrad, and the ruined Canterlot replaced by the new capital, Equinia."

I will no doubt add some greater detail on this in the future, depending on how many of you guys are interested in this ^^ so please feel free to comment!

Character Apps:

Name:

Race:

**Faction:

***Goal/Motivation:

Background Story:

* In this RP, all ponies who were originally fillies/colts in the actual show are now full-grown adults, due to the passage of years required for this sort of RP to take place.

** You may make your own faction, or join one that is already open. If you want to join a faction that somepony else has made, I suggest you talk to them first. Factions aren't required, but its always nice to have a side :)

*** A goal or motivation is crucial...it tells me (and others) a bit on how your character is like, what they are wanting to do, and how they may go about it. Even faction-neutral ponies should have this included.

Current Factions:

[colour=#800000]Royal Liberation Front (RLF or Loyalists)[/colour]: Mainly comprised of former members of the Royal Equestrian Army or those who were loyal to the Princesses, this radical group accepts all races, no matter who they are or what they've done, as long as they have the same goal as the RLF (Although they are quite wary about Changelings, considering that they had participated in the attack at the last Royal Wedding and helped the GEF seize control). Living in cells across Equestria, the RLF stages constant raids against GEF caravans or strongholds, building up their supplies in preparation for a revolution of their own. Their headquarters lies in Las Pegasus, known only to the leader of each Loyalist cell. Their current leader is Free Rapidhoof (I think).

[colour=#2f4f4f]Grand Equestrian Federation (GEF):[/colour] Currently in command of the whole of Equestria, this powerful group of ponies were transformed from the New Equestrian Order shortly after the fall of Canterlot. Led by the mysterious pony named Red Fox, they act as the ruling body of the new Equestrian government, and also serve as their own secret police force. Due to the pro-pony sentiment and the dislike of other races, only ponies exist in this order (however, they have been known to take in Zebras, due to their near-pony attributes). They have one goal and one goal only: to eliminate all opposition against their new government and solidify the new Equestria...no matter what the cost.

[colour=#008080]Last Equestrian Hope (LEH):[/colour] A smaller side faction that has taken what they believe to be Equestria's fate into their own hooves. Firm believers in democracy, they fight mainly against the GEF, trying to inflict as much damage as possible. While not affilliated with the RLF, it is rumored that they occasionally exchange information about their GEF oppressors. The leader of this organization is unknown.

[colour=#daa520]The Freelancers[/colour]: An organization of ponies enshrouded in mystery, they are a highly advanced and global force whose main goal is the survival and advancement of Pony-kind. It is led by a mysterious figure known as the Director, whose goals are as unknown as his/her appearance. Rumors are that the Director and the Red Fox have formed a secret alliance (although their subordinates have no knowledge of this).

No, Coltara isn't dead. I've simply been meeting a few issues with it...and this idea has been bugging me for quite some time.

As for the Royals, not really. In fact, you can say that the New Equestrian Order only raised a revolution in order to gain power. However, they were able to convince many ponies to believe that the Royal Family was incapable of ruling Equestria anymore, and that change was required...by force, if necessary. If anypony is a tyrant, it'd be the Grand Equestrian Federation...especially toward non-ponies :P

Also, cast characters are accepted here, as well as OC's.

Well, that's all the questions I have.

My idea is this. One royal escaped the executions and is currently a wanderer who bears the sole sovereign right to the throne. She who knows the magic of love, and who perhaps more than any pony still alive after the revolution understands how thrown Equestrian harmony has been, but can't do anything about it because she just doesn't have the power the other Royals had. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. Played by me of course, because durr.

What about the Elements? What would their roles be, if any, or could we leave that up to others interested?

I actually had very similar thoughts to that :) an escaped royal would be an excellent idea (Although it may not necessarily have to be Cadence). As for the Elements, the GEF had them locked away from the rest of Equestria, in fear of any pony who may be able to use them. Now, only their leader knows their location. You might be asking yourself "What of the Mane Six?" Well...that is up to you guys. They could all be dead, or separated, all a part of the Loyalist Resistance, or some in the resistance and others with the GEF :) it is quite the pickle, honestly.

I really like the story - the only thing that give me trouble is to understand what the goal of the roleplay is? Do you have any aim in mind or do you want different people who are on different sides "fight" each other, verbally or physically? So in other words I miss some structure here.

Other than that, as usual I wouldn't mind being Rainbow Dash but I also have to say that I would prefer a different role for once - Chrysalis to be exact.

Um, I was actually JUST discussing that with another pony :blush: you make an excellent point, so here is basically what the point of the RP is:

1. The RP will be area-based, starting in the Grand Equestrian Federation's newly built capital, Equinia. All sides in the conflict are available for play, and you can decide on which side a pony chooses (or whether they are neutral)...even if they are a main cast character. The only thing that would be required in order for a Main Cast's choice is a little info on why they chose that side, and what they are wishing to gain from it. (So, it wouldn't be unlikely to have former members of the Mane 6 trying to rip the others' hooves off.)

2. Since this is based on the conflict after Post-Revolution, much of Equestria is in tatters. However, many cities are being rebuilt and fortified with new technology and innovation...something that the Grand Equestrian Federation acknowledges as a basic need. Under the GEF's Regime, many of the other races and/or creatures in Equestria are looked down upon as second-rate citizens or even as lesser beings...(One of the New Equestrian Order's laws was: All ponies are entitled to their freedom of speech and the pursuit of freedom, for they are the superior race and so should have the honors of such.) So, you can say that in this new Equestrian society, they are pursuing overall superiority when it comes to the affairs of the world.

3. This is NOT a black/white, good/evil sort of RP. Neither side is evil, both have their own ambitions and goals...even if others may dislike them. For example: the GEF acts as a federal administration that watches over and safeguards the new Equestria, and have done a very good job so far. Not only have they fixed several errors left by the Princesses, and they also strengthened the military might of Equestria. (One of the first things they did was cast Discord, who still remains in his petrified state, into the recesses of the oceans so that he may never be awakened again.)

4. Anything can happen in this RP...and the outcome of who wins and loses is completely up to everypony. Are you a die-hard Loyalist, still clinging to the rumors that one of the Royal Family lives and is in hiding, fighting for the day that Equestria would return to what it once was? Are you a power-driven GEF Agent, seeking to eliminate all remnants of the former Principality and glorify the pony race? Or are you simply an innocent pony who has been caught in the middle of their struggle...perhaps belonging to another organization entirely. The choice is up to you.

5. The main, influential character in this story is the mysterious leader of the newly formed GEF...who is simply known as the "Red Fox". While rumors portraying this mysterious pony are numerous and often controversial, one thing is for certain: whoever the "Red Fox" is, he/she is a force to be reckoned with.

So would this be an acceptable application?

Name: Princess Mi Amore Cadenza

Side: Loyalist

Motivation: To correct what she sees as a violent overthrowing of the principles Equestria was founded on: love and harmony. She is torn between the need to stick to her traditional moral codes and the need for prudence in the face of an overwhelming enemy. She is also weak and listless, barely alive as she must hide herself from the general public and live as a poor pony lest she be brought out as a Royal. Finally, she is unaware of the state of her beloved husband, which is severely crippling to her mental health.

Dead Cast Members:

Princess Celestia - Death by guillotine.

Princess Luna - Death by guillotine.

Shining Armor - Unconfirmed death during the battle of Everfree Forest. *Killed by the Red Fox. Rumor is that Shining Armor is the only pony to have seen Red Fox's face*.

Prince Blueblood - Death by guillotine.

Grannie Smith - Death during the destruction of Ponyville. *Cause of death due to a heart attack*.

The Wonderbolts - All confirmed dead except for Spitfire, who left after the purges of Manehatten and Stalliongrad.

A relatively small list, I know, but due to Ponyville having the largest set of cast characters (and the fact that the citizens of Ponyville got off lightly in the Revolution), there was little to work with, and much of Equestria's deaths occurred in the areas surrounding the Heartland, especially along the Strand and the Foothills.

Name:"Doc" Holly Whoof

Faction:Last Equestrian Hope (LEH)

Last Equestrian Hope

A third faction that didn't support the loyalist movement or the GEF. Members of the LEH believe that goverment should be decided by the governed, instead of a strong central government or a Monarch. They started ambushing GEF Caravans and proforming espionage since the movement started. The leader, [PlaceHolder], hopes to defeat the "Overlords" at the GEF and establish a democracy.

Wow, I'm sorry if that sucked, I'm really tired. :) Just thought it would be cool for another faction to grab at the power.

Oooh, a side-faction :) nice! I can't wait to see what you do with the LEH.

On a side note: I've decided to leave out the use of OC's or Main Cast characters who were not fillies or older in the original show. Soooo...if you were be say, Rarity, you could have your backstory include the death of Sweetie Belle (though that would be sad...). If you do, I'll add that character's death to the list.

Would be nice if you include a form to use in the first post. So my question was answered, with what you said I can work.

Name: Chrysalis

Gender/Looks/Race: Cast Character (no further description necessary)

Faction: Changelings (obviously)

Goal/Motivation: Win as much land as she can for the changelings. She has no loyalty and will help whoever promises her the best conditions. Further will try to weaken all factions equally, so noone can stop her anymore - thus is mostly trying to support the weaker sides.

She already got a part of the world as exchange for helping the GEF, but since they disrespect other creatures and Chrysalis isn't happy with the area she got she won't stop until the GEF falls again.

In other words she is trying to get as much out of this conflict as possible while having a focus on destroying the GEF since she feels betrayed by them.

I would say that a goal or motivation is very important for this kind of RP for the application.

Wow, this all looks EXTREMELY awesome XD I'm afraid I shall have to have a go at that leader spot :)

Name: Free Quickhoof

(my profile pic is him if you wanna know what he looks like)

Race: Earth Pony

**Faction: LRF

Occupation: Leader (or soldier, if chu guys want someone specific.)

***Goal/Motivation: To liberate Equestria from the GEF, and restore the Monarchy. At the moment, he is aware at least one of royal blood is still alive.

Background Story: Free was originally a commander in the royal equestrian military, and a very good one at that. He won many battles for his country, and became close friends with Princess Luna. Over his last few missions before the fall of the monarchy, Free began to learn snippets of information about the NEO,mainly concerning the rebellion that was soon to happen. However, he was too late to tell the royal family in time. He fought hard in the seige of canterlot, defending the royals to near death. However, instead of killing him, the NEO decided to make an example of him. They tortured him publicly until

he could barely talk, let alone fight any more. After that, they made him watch the beheading of the royals. Free still remembers the haunting memory of the scream Luna let out just before the blade came down. He was soon transferred to a prison cell on the outskirts of Equinia. However, he has many spies throughout the facility, and he still sends regular orders to his loyalist soldiers. His wounds have now healed, and he is waiting for the right time to stage his breakout and take back the country for the LRF.

Hope 'tats good enough for ya'all, but like I said I can change it if you guys want me too.

Hmm...I must say, I'm impressed Mr. British ;) You may have just given me something to work with here as to how we'll start the RP...and good use of the small background I've provided! If no one else has an eye on the RLF's leadership position, and if their app isn't better than yours, I think Free will be quite the cool Loyalist :)

-puts on glasses and crosses arms- HELLS YEAH. :D Thanks, and I was thinking, if free is picked, he could stage his grand break out near the beginning of the rp, and everybody would be all '-gasp- there's still loyalists?' and the general public would be told and Free would then go find Cadence.

Sounds good at first, but there is no doubt the GEF would try to keep that sort of information on the down-low...there could be rumors of the Loyalist Leader's escape, but there should be skepticals. After all, despite what the GEF has done, it is actually supported by many ponies and non-ponies because it has brought a stability and strength to Equestria it hasn't seen in a very long time. (Even non-ponies have taken a liking to the government...despite the lack of equal rights. There are certain groups of creatures that are completely against the GEF, but many of them simply stay out of the way and continue on with their lives: they don't bother the GEF, the GEF doesn't bother them).

On a side note: a break-out was what I sort of had planned :P great minds think alike, I see.

Exactly...it would make better sense for the former princess to seek him out, rather than he seek her. If Free does know where she is, he'd probably want to let her come to him herself, because if the GEF knew he was looking for her, it could cause some...deadly...results.