(The Strand) Musical Chairs (Open)

SteelEagle

octavia_post_banner_by_jaelachan-d5h4hog.png

Octavia made her way to her cart unmolested, her stomach laden with a lunch of some epic scale. She hadn't believed it initially and held some reservations regarding her attitude, but Starburst could certainly cook well and her aches and pains were linked rather exquisitely with the euphoria that had come with her results. Starburst was a mare unique among her fellows in that her self-asserted confidence and mannerisms were marked more by her personal assurances and willingness to engage than she was through some musical affiliation with the others. That would normally have struck Octavia odd but like a symphony with intentionally erratic overtures building to something grander, Starburst worked well enough in the group. Her piano playing, though not on the level of the true Canterlot piano masters, was fine enough to add to the audible enjoyment of the ride. Octavia laid down and opened the notebook containing pertinent well, notes for the upcoming section and allowed the fine music to softly billow about her head buffeting out the vexing train tracks as she lost herself in the tones produced by her compatriots. Relaxation defined.

-----

In other places, plots were coning to fruition. Namely a hasty and rather tasty revenge plot hatched by several disgruntled cooks who felt that having their experience and passions denigrated for the satisfaction of an arrogant mare. Helping travelers delight in the glory of wondrous food and drink was their calling; they were not amateurs and this was not the time for rogues. And so, with the kitchen silent as a mouse, they threw together a revenge the best way disgruntled chefs could. The small pastries they threw together were absolutely delicious. One of them was also tainted.

"Ahh, mein most musical guests of honor!" a unicorn chef with ambrosia eyes stated as she rolled out with a few trays of the covered treats. She levitated them on the table and took the covers off, revealing delicious if small eclairs, each one sent to a very specific spot in front of very specific patrons.

"A most wonderful recipe, and brand new at that. For our special guests; tell us how you like it!" She left with a bow that concealed a sly smile before ducking back into the kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...

QuickBanner.png

She didn't really know Vinyl that well but felt like she could give this mare the benefit of a doubt, and nodded, offering the teensiest smile "My story?" She tapped her hoof lightly to her chin and thought a little bit "I'm a herbologist, I make medicines, and teas and such for colds, burns, and other injuries, I try to make ponies feel better any way possible" She wiggled her flank a little bit at that with it's shiny leaf dripping with dew cutie mark. "I live in Ponyville, I'm going to get some ingredients at the next stop that are harder to come by, I'm not very interesting, apparently I don't keep up with local celebrities since I didn't recall who Vinyl was, though hearing she is a musician I do believe I have heard her music before"

She glanced at Vinyl "For a slick McToocool shades inside pants you aint that bad" This was punctuated by a playful little smirk."Any ways that's my "Story" Really it's not very long, and I'm kinda not a big talker ..Ooh"She got mildly distracted by the eclair everyone was offered, nibbling it "Oh my this is delicious, my compliments to the cook! Their reputation for best food on a train is richly deserved"

Well, things were going better than she'd hoped between Lime and Moondancer - the Ponyvillian pony of bright glowstick shades seemed to be learning and adjusting to the informations moondancer was dispensing...and whilst she clearly had a little sass in her, Vinyl concluded that the scene had worked with a pretty decent success rate. She smiles inwardly, relaxing a little more as an eclair-dwelling plate made her presence...if there was one thing that topped free food, for one such as Vinyl, it was free sweets!

Vinyls attention flicked over to movement briefly - seemed like the mare of grey had rejoined them...l'il Miss Octavia - She hadn't spoken much at all to the earth pony, so there wasn't enough of an impression for Vinyl to reflect on, but she seemed like a relatively nice enough pony. Maybe a l'il overly...canterlotian, for lack of a better word, but then Vinyl had to remind herself that she too had come from a canterlot upbringing - not really as 'Top Notch' as some other ponies, but she knew enough to at least respect whatever life Octavia might lead.

" For a slick McToocool shades inside pants you aint that bad"

Limes comment made the white DJ smirk, as she raised a hoof to nudge at her shades...pondering a remark to fire back - didn't take her long!

" [colour=#800080]Well, if you weren't coloured like a glowstick, maybe I'd have reasons to take 'em off... [/colour]" the mare replies, grinning toyingly. " [colour=#800080]Heh - but seriously, it's nice to meetya[/colour]!~ "

And with that, the rest of the night was seemingly going to be smooth sailing - but that yet could still be derailed by the devious culinary events as yet unseen!

Tankena smiles at Starburst, happy to share her story with a fellow musicain friend. The green mare gently put down her balalaika and sat down next to her.

[colour=#008000]"I love the way you play piano, Starburst! You are natural at it! Oh, my cutie mark story, I tell you all! Even as foal, I was always curious so I study hard so I learn how things work! Anyway, one time long ago I prepared special project for school Science Fair! Took me weeks of planning, building and experimentation to make it. I created the very first large firecracker rocket. I name it Big Colt because it was very large. When teacher saw it, she forebid me from lighting it up, but I lit fuse anyway then hid! When my Big Colt launched, it went straight into sky and exploded in many beautiful colours, just as I had drew it up on blueprint! Even teacher was impressed and as my classmates cheered for me, I notice a light behind me. When I turned to look at it, it was cutie mark coming in, and it was in the shape of my Big Colt firecracker rocket! At that moment, I knew what my destiny was, to invent great things ponies can use, like portable piano you just played! I hope someday to bring it to perfection so I can sell it to other ponies. Tell me, comrade. What kind of invention would you like to see made? All inventions start with dream!" [/colour]

2wmm3ux.jpg

Moondancer was glad to see that the green pegasus was warming up to her a bit, even if the pegasus once again refused to shake hooves. As the other mare told her “story”, the moon-flanked unicorn smiled and nodded in turn. However, there was one thing that Dancer had to object to; [colour=#cc0033]“Awww, don’t say that you’re boring girly; everypony’s interesting in their own unique way. I’d love to hear all about the medicines you make!”[/colour]

Taking a brief moment to levitate a newly-arrived éclair into her mouth, Moondancer ate it before repeating an unanswered question from before. [colour=#cc0033]“Wait a sec though!”[/colour] the unicorn exclaimed; [colour=#cc0033]“I don’t think you’ve told me your name yet.”[/colour] If Celestia smiled upon Dancer, then things would continue to proceed happily.....

Starburst mulls the idea over in her head a little. [colour=#4b0082]"What would I like to see invented? A portable kitchen, so I don't have to borrow someone elses to cook in I suppose. It's really inconvenient having to commandeer a kitchen to cook something for somepony.. If I had a kitchen with me I could cook whenever I wanted. It would have to be easy to carry around. It would definitely be something difficult to make.. maintaining temperatures would be hard in something small like that."[/colour]

With that comment, she picks up the Eclair she was given and takes a bite. [colour=#4b0082]"Not bad."[/colour] the mare says with a bit of enthusiasm. [colour=#4b0082]"They're definitely better at dessert-making than they are at general cooking. This tastes much better than the buffet fare. This tastes like something I would serve in one of my many tea shops around Equestria."[/colour]

After finishing the eclair she licks her hooves and wipes off with a napkin, proceeding to wash the dessert away with a little bit of milk. She stands up from her chair and starts walking over to the bar to get a drink and suddenly feels a bit weak, falling over after tripping a little. She blinks a couple times and stumbles back to her feet, slowly moving over to the table to grab a glass and pour milk into it. She manages to pour a sip and drinks it, making her way back over to the table. When she arrives back she's a little short of breath. [colour=#4b0082]"My.. it does seem a bit hot in here."[/colour] she says, brushing a cloth against her forehead.[colour=#4b0082] "I think.. I'll retire to my cabin for the evening. I'm suddenly feeling less-than-adequate."[/colour] she says, moving towards her room on the other car.

octavia_post_banner_by_jaelachan-d5h4hog.png

Octavia was enjoying her relative peace and quiet, the ompany of others a pleasant footnote in a pleasant day. In fact, after a short time reading and enjoying the memories made over the still-vexing rattling of the train tracks she was willing to put her money where her muzzle was and take a nice rest. Then maybe later that evening, with a fresh head and heart, she could meet and greet the others. If there was one thing she was sure of, it was that putting her best front two hooves forward was the sort of investment that she was willing to make with potential new friends, cif she was so bold to call them that. As luck would have it though, fate was playing a different song entirely.

She heard some weak-hooved stomping about and stumbling in the hall outside her room. She could tell without seeing that something was wrong- it didn't take a genius to hear but to somepony as attuned to the gentle rhythms of Equestrian life, it was disquieting. Stumbling had a certain cadence, a staccato rhythm playing sourly against her. To make matters worse, she could hear what Starburst was saying. Octavia was not a medical mare but she was a kin one and knew even before she got up what she would do for her possible friend, despite their meeting being so recent. After all, she had to repay for an excellent lunch, no?

Octavia stood up and trotted swiftly to the door, opening the door and catching Starburst as she passed.

[colour=#4B0082]"You are unwell, Starburst. Where's your car? If you wish, you can rest your hooves here for a while."[/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]"..Oh my yes. Thank you. I don't think that I could make it to my car.. Suddenly I feel ill. "[/colour] she says, lying down on the opposite side of the small cabin. [colour=#4b0082]"My.. cart?"[/colour] she also says, not sure what Octavia means.

She shrugs it off though, when she finds it difficult to concentrate on any one thing for any period of time. She lies on her back, staring at the ceiling, listening to the b-bump, b-bump of the wheels against the train tracks. It's a convenient thing that Starburst wasn't wearing any clothes at the time, else she might have to peel them from her sweat soaked hooves.

[colour=#4b0082]"I'm not sure.. but I think perhaps I might've eaten something that didn't agree with my tummy. Perhaps the Sandwiches... I'm sure after a nap I'll be fine.. but I'm lucky to have someone to look after me." [/colour][colour=#000000]she says, smiling.[/colour]