QuickLime

pony9.jpg

There had been a lull in his passion, and a diminish in his work; Cashmere had hit a creative block! He couldn’t work! After the flurry of Photo Finish’s visit, Vinyl Scratch’s order, and overall the hullaballoo, it was nice to finally unwind and create once again! But alas Cashmere suffered the worst affliction known to the creative mind!

A MENTAL BLOCK! Oh the HORROR and the SHAME of being unable to have his horns or hooves create anything new or customized to its peak!

The grey unicorn sat at his shops desk, hooves crossed over the desk, chin resting upon it, monocle off and resting on said desk, a sight passing his lips, he ached for inspiration! For creativity! He longed to hear a muse’s sweet murmurs in his ears and tell him all of the things he could do with merely the will to do so!

But only silence met him, another sigh… he supposed it was time to open shop. His horn pulsed and glew with rich royal purple magic as the sign on his door switched from closed to Open.. Perhaps someone today would be in need of a custom Saddlebag! Perhaps they will bring life back into his soul!

Or not..

You could never tell in Ponyville…

Rarity stood before a certain Ponyville boutique, staring it down. It wasn't often that Rarity found herself needing to visit a boutique other than her own. She had the upmost confidence in her abilities as a designer, and it was always more cost effective to make things herself as opposed to frequenting some fancy, over priced shoppe for her wares. Sure, she studied other designers. In the business of fashion it was a necessity. One needed to pay attention to trends and also watch the competition if they hoped to both please the customers and keep them loyal.

This boutique was a little different though. It wasn't direct competition exactly, as the specialization was on bags rather than apparel. Now, Rarity was talented enough to piece together a fabulous enough saddlebag, but it really just wasn't her area of expertise. Yet, as it were, as her star rose in the fashion world, more and more mares were looking for exquisite bags to match the dresses they ordered. Such requests made Rarity kind of nervous; the confidence just wasn't there on bags. That's why she was here. This place was newer than Carousel Boutique, but it so far had a great reputation for its bags. Rarity was hoping it would prove inspiring.

Entering the shop quietly, Rarity strode toward a gray unicorn stallion with a purple mane sitting at a desk. [colour=#663399]"Why, hello there, dear," [/colour]she said, giving a polite smile. [colour=#663399]"I have been looking to procure a fabulous new bag for myself. Might you have some for me to consider?"[/colour]

pony9.jpg

His ears perked up at the sound of the tiny tingling sound of the bell going off, he lifted his head up and was pleased to see a customer, a very pretty customer at that! With a mane to almost rival his own in it's stunning colour and style! Though then she seemed to think he had bags to go.. He smiled lightly since he couldn't expect EVERYPONY to know how he works... "Well Miss you see I tend to make bags custom for the pony wearing them, they are so custom that the bag will instantly be recognizable as theirs "

Cashmere nodded walking out from behind the desk and over to her "However if you don't have time for a custom experience I DO have some "Sample" bags that are for display that you are more than welcome to, or I could whip up a bag that is to your liking..."

He was all about pleasing the customer after all "Either way I want to ensure you come out with a bag just as gorgeous and unique as you are"

Hmm, so this shop was custom only? Intriguing. Custom orders were the heart of Carousel, too, but she favored keeping a varied business plan. There were a lot of ponies who wanted the instant gratification of walking into the boutique picking out something they liked and walking away with it then and there with only marginal hassle. Rarity thus usually had a number of her more renowned or personally preferred designs hung about in her shop for ponies not looking for something completely original.

She could understand a want to keep it all custom though. There was something alluring and almost romantic about the thought of no two pieces being quite the same, every piece being made on demand. It was a fine, admirable way to run a shop, but for her it wasn't as practical. Many ponies came to her having seen a dress she made for Sapphire Shores or some other big name and wanting one in the same fashion after all. She was an artist, but for her it was about pleasing the customer before it was about anything else.

[colour=#663399]"Oh my, you do flatter me, darling,"[/colour] she said in reply to his final comments. [colour=#663399]"How sweet of you,"[/colour] she added, smiling and giving a small laugh.

[colour=#663399]"Hmm, well, I suppose I would like to examine these samples of yours first, as I'm sure they're a sign of your quality," [/colour]Rarity said with a steady nod, getting down to business.

[colour=#663399]"But if that's the case, I just may consider ordering something custom,"[/colour] she said after some thought.[colour=#663399] "That is, if I do like what I see."[/colour]

pony9.jpg

"Splendid, and it's not flattery if it's the truth" He said and focused, several dress dummies floated over and sat down, before some of his bags went to rest on them, they were generic but still creative in design, One bag was made out of a synthetic leather that was a soft soft doe brown, with green stitching, a leaf burnt into the very top just above the buckle, which was a golden leaf with emeralds to fill in the colour.

The second bag was pure snowy white with nearly invisible soft blue stitches, having a snowflake on the flap that was made of dozens of small blue glass beads that glittered depending on how the light hit them.

And the third sample was a one shoulder number that looked a touch more like a purse, it was jet black fabric that glittered like stars on it's own, and the stitching was bright neon green thread, with several music notes over the bag, the clasp being a bolt of green lightning.

"These are just a few samples, I do have a few more , or I can simply use one of these as a template for what you'd like"

Rarity gave a demure laugh at the pony's initial comments. This stallion knew how to charm. Of course, being in his business, it probably came with the territory. It was his job to make sales, and considering what the merchandise was, most of his customers would be mares. Coming from somewhere similar, Rarity knew how it was. That said, none of that was to say Rarity didn't believe that it really was the truth. Rarity certainly had confidence in her own charm.

Smiling at the designer, Rarity watched as he brought forth his array of sample bags. She examined each one in turn, looking closely at the three. The first was a synthetic leather bag with a rather ornate gold and emerald leaf decorating it. The second caught the eye with a beautiful snowflake pattern of glass bleeds and was white in colour. The final was a lustrous black bag with a musical note theme and an eye catching lightning bolt clasp.

Rarity admired them for a moment. She looked especially at the stitching of the bags, admiring how they were put together; the craftsmanship was top notch on all of them. She was particularly impressed with the synthetic leather; she wouldn't even know what to do with a material like that. Each one was eye catching and impressive too. The designs popped in ways a true fashionista like Rarity could really appreciate.

She nodded at the designer. [colour=#663399]"Oh my, you're quite adept at you're craft, darling! I must say I am quite impressed,"[/colour] she said with enthusiasm. [colour=#663399]"These are lovely... and definitely speak toward you being quite gifted."[/colour]

She looked back toward the bags and then back up. [colour=#663399]"All right, I've decided then. I would be delighted we're you to design for me a bag."[/colour] Rarity reached into her current saddlebag with her magic and pulled out her sketch pad.

[colour=#663399]"Do you think you might be able to design something that could be worn to accompany this dress?"[/colour] she asked, pointing toward a sketch of her old Gala dress. It was one of her favorite pieces that she had designed for herself; having a bag to go with it would be great.

Razor entered into the boutique. Normally he would not enter into places that dealt with fashion for private reasons, but this was a type of store he could gladly enter without a fear. He needed a bag, or at least his old one fixed. Either would work in the end.

"Hello?" Razor said as he walked in.

Noticing the owner was busy with a customer at the moment, Razor simply moved off to the side and wait for his turn. He removed his old tattered bag off his shoulder and removed a book and proceeded to read.

• 7 months later...

pony9.jpg

He felt a soft glow to his face as the mare complimented his work, she was so sincere with her praise that Cashmere sort of leaned forward , and his whole face lit up the moment she mentioned wanting a custom order "I would be most happy to do an order for you Ma'am" He took the sketch from her using his own magic, looking it over, it was a beautiful dress, 'Oh my it's a beautiful dress! What elegant colouring, the design is simply beautiful..I would be more than happy to design you a bag that matches this dress perfectly" He tilted his head "I normally design them on the ponies themselves however if I could take your measurements I could easily make one of my mannequins temporarily take the appropriate shape to work on it"

Cashmere looked the dress over again "Could you do me a favour and give me a sample of the fabrics you used? I want to make it look and feel like it belongs with your dress"

• 3 weeks later...

"I would be most happy to do an order for you Ma'am. Oh my it's a beautiful dress! What elegant colouring, the design is simply beautiful..I would be more than happy to design you a bag that matches this dress perfectly"

It remained hard to tell how much of this Cashmere's flattery was aimed at securing a customer, but he at least seemed sincere as he lavished praise upon Rarity's design. It made her smile. Hearing a fashionably minded pony praise her work was always nice. She nodded along with the stallion as he examined the design.

[colour=#663399]"Thank you, darling," [/colour]she said with an affected giggle.

"I normally design them on the ponies themselves however if I could take your measurements I could easily make one of my mannequins temporarily take the appropriate shape to work on it"

This was a curious detail. Rarity would have never guessed designing a bag usually used a live model. To make a dress was far too time consuming to even consider such a thing. She had to rely on dress forms and precisely taken measurements always. She became increasingly curious in just how this pony worked. She wasn't very accustomed to other ponies measuring her though... it wasn't in her best interest to wear other designer's dresses after all and measuring herself was no issue. Still, it wasn't like she minded... in fact, it was an opportunity to be a little playful.

[colour=#663399]"By all means, measure away, darling," [/colour]she said with a smirk. [colour=#663399]"I'm not a mare with any shame in her measurements,"[/colour] she said as she stepped toward the stallion.

"Could you do me a favour and give me a sample of the fabrics you used? I want to make it look and feel like it belongs with your dress"

At this request, Rarity just gave a simple nod. [colour=#663399]"I'd be delighted to, dear,"[/colour] she said.

[colour=#663399]"If you want, you can take my measurements now and then I can go retrieve the fabrics from my boutique's fabric store,"[/colour] Rarity added, nodding her head some more.

• 4 weeks later...

pony9.jpg

Any other stallion would have been drooling, with massive eyes, filled with hearts, both at her comment and how she approached, Cashmere however was a little different, he just gave her his best smile! "I can see that, Miss " He focused and a measuring tape zipped over, it started to delicately measure her, and it didn't take that long at all, , he quickly jotted them down "That would be lovely! Just fetch me a swatch of the fabric, and I'll be able to go from there! You are doing wonders for my artist block Miss Rarity...It's so nice to be able to create again"

It had been mind numbingly awful to have the desire to create but no inspiration!

"I can see that, Miss "

Rarity chuckled slightly at the response. This stallion, this Cashmere, he didn't seem very interested or responsive. She supposed he was the sort who took his job very seriously. She could respect that. Either way, she very much looked forward to seeing him at his work. She was sure that he would produce only the most fabulous of bags for her.

"That would be lovely! Just fetch me a swatch of the fabric, and I'll be able to go from there! You are doing wonders for my artist block Miss Rarity...It's so nice to be able to create again"

Rarity smiled.[colour=#663399] "Oh, how lovely," [/colour]she said. [colour=#663399]"In truth I stepped in today hoping to be inspired myself. Perhaps today both of us artists will be able to find that creative energy we seek." [/colour]

The unicorn laughed and shook her head. [colour=#663399]"Regardless, I'll go at once to find that cloth for you, darling!"[/colour] she said excitedly.[colour=#663399] "I'll return at once!"[/colour]

With that said, Rarity turned to leave. Her own boutique was not very far, so she imagined she would be able to return shortly.

• 9 months later...

It was a totally normal day in Ponyville for Fable Weaver, casually walking out of the inn where he resides for the time being while vacationing in the idyllic town. The birds were singing, the sun was shining, and Fable was having a great time in Ponyville. There were some ups, like meeting Princess Twilight at her library, or simply enjoying the quiet nature of the town by relaxing on some hills, and some downs like being trapped for a seemingly long time in the Everfree Forest. All in all, Fable was happy he took this time for himself.

As Fable continued down the street in a perky mood, he suddenly realized something that he completely forgot to do, something that everypony always does when vacationing someplace for the first time. Buy souvenirs! Fable nearly smacked himself with his hoof at his lack of tact involving buttons and stickers with the Ponyville Flag, but thought better lest he make a fool out of himself in front of the modest amount of ponies around him busying away their day. He was very much an inwardly expressive young stallion, preferring subtle gestures he could acknowledge to making a mockery of himself by attracting everypony's attention.

Fable Weaver shook himself out of his regular train of thought, quickly enough to spot the perfect place to get started on his journey for souvenirs. A store specifically for saddlebags! Fable will need a place to put all of his tourist riches, so finding a store selling what he needs right in front of him was like being blessed by Celestia herself. Or something similar, perhaps.

Fable walked into the establishment, fixed his trademark glasses and bow tie, before making a beeline towards the main desk that looked to be occupied by the owner, ignoring everything else around him, focused solely on getting his saddlebag, no matter what it looked like or how much it cost. That was just who he was, and by gosh darn, nopony could tell him otherwise!

Fable reached the main desk and put both of his forehooves on it, and gave the owner a look that meant buisness, but not too harshly as he didn't want to intimidate him. Nevertheless, he still used the manners his mother taught him to greet the pony.

"Hello there, kind gentlefellow, I have reason to believe by the sign outside that you are, one, open, and two, you sell saddlebags. I am in need of one, and would appreciate a fair deal in exchange for a reasonably fashionable saddlebag with my modest amount of bits. What is the asking price and what do you have to offer, Mr. Monocle?"

Fable hoped he wasn't too intimidating, he somewhat struggled with normal social banter in modern society due to his past, but he thought he did a fine job with conversing with the saddlebag seller.

Archived