{Bridlebank Beach} A Day on the Beach (Open)

ShadowWalking18

The shore of Bridlebank was calm and steady, shallow small waves slowly moving up and down the sandy coast in the ever continued process. The sun hung high in the sky, offering a warm and pleasant enviroment. It was all in all, a wonderous day to be on the beach. In fact one was already there, a griffon named Razor.

Razor lounged on the beach, enjoying the feel of the warm sand. Next to him he kept a cooler, filled with ice and drinks. A basket stood next to it which was filled with his lunch and both were kept safe from the sun by a large umbrella and out of the sand by a towel.

Razor turned on his back to sun his belly now, he readjusted his sun glasses and said to himself, "I am a tan griffon."

It was his day off and he intended to make the most of it, though as the owner and only employ of his business he could have as many days off as he wanted, but of course Razor would never do that. Being lazy was not his cup of tea.

"Yeah....just gonna relax." Razor said as he closed his eyes and enjoyed the rays of the sun.

• 1 month later...

(Hi! Hope you don't think I'm stalking you or somethin', just decided to use an old character. :) )

Pumpkin Bright stepped warily out into the openness of the sun, a think gunk of white plastered over his nose to protect against something. Though it wasn't really necessary, he supposed, but it's always better to be prepared, no? He continued further towards the water, dodging the larger group of ponies that were congregating around the beach, stopping just short of a griffon.

Why did it have to be a griffon?

His eyes grew wide at the sight of it's claws, and his breath shallow. Surely he could just turn around walk away without the griffon noticing him, right?

While contemplating the best plan of escape, a group of tourists bumped up behind him, pushing him over and eliciting a large, rather feminine shriek.

[colour=#006400]"Eeep!"[/colour] he screamed as he tumbled forward, landing squarely next to the griffon, upon the opposite side of the cooler and basket.

Razor's eye shot open, hearing a shrill girly shriek. His eye moved up and down, looking for the source until it rested on the pony that landed right next to him. The nictitating membrane of his eye blank once as Razor got up.

"Can I help you?" He asked, reaching to the cooler to pull out a sandwhich. Sourdough bread, ham, turkey and djoun mustard, one of his favorites. He bit into the sandwhich as he waited for an answer, not bothered to be eating meat infront of a pony. At times he found it funny, seeing their expressions when he did. Still he tried not to do it in a crowd, that would have been too cruel.

A red Pegasus clad in shades and a rather flattering one piece slowly cantered into view while pushing a small cart loaded with a cooler. "Come on you slow pokes! We're going to miss the good spots!". Two other Pegasus ponies quickly followed. Both were kids, one was a blue coated filly that resembled the older mare, and another was a fuzzy brown colt. "Ma mooa maa maaa maaaaa!", the little filly shouted back, but was hindered by the colourful bucket she held in her mouth. The mare found a spot near the griffon and other pony, and unloaded her cooler, followed by a beach towel which she rolled onto the sand.

"Stay close, and if you two are going to swim, please tell me.", she warned the others. "Meh ma...", the filly spit out her bucket, "We're going to be fine sis! We both know how to swim...", she caught her older sister's glare, "And we will warm you if we do in fact take to the water. Sheesh. Fast Track wants to make a really big sandcastle first.", the colt nodded his head and started shoveling sand around with his little shovel before glancing back up at the blue Pegasus,"Stop staring at me and help me with my castle. I intend to build a proper replica of the two sister's castle. The one that's currently in ruins in the Everfree.", the filly rolled her eyes in response, "Yeah yeah, just wanted to check you out in your little shorts! So cute!", she giggled and started to dig. The colt let out a frustrated grunt, but continued to work on his castle.

Once the red Pegasus was situated, she noticed the griffon and the other pony, "Hello fellows! Wonderful day to be beaching, eh?", she sat down on her towel and smiled at the two while keeping one eye on the two little ponies.

Not so far from them, a single pony dragged himself out of the water. This stallion wasn't in exactly the good shape. The bruises and cuts were all over his body, his trench coat was in rags, scabbard and hilt of his sword was covered with clamps and on his head was bunch of seaweed - making him look like a rock star from the bottom of the sea. The unicorn pulled forward with his hooves a few inches more before he decided to give up and just lay at the border of the sea.

[colour=green]"Note to self....never cut ship bottom ever again. No matter what."[/colour] Swift Squall weakly muttered before he begun to throw up a seawater from his stomach. [colour=green]"Now...just some mud drinks...and then I will....wrestle a train to Filly...I want broccoli."[/colour] exhausted stallion spat even more nonsense in the delusion. At that moment, a crab small crab walked out of the seaweed and apparently having enough of this ridiculousness, gnawed at his ear with its pincer.

[colour=green]"ARGGHHHH! Cut it out! I mean n-no! Don't cut in any deepe...! Ayyiiieeee! Abomination! Stop! STOP! You sick monster![/colour] a pony trashed around weakly, but swordstallion was too weak to throw crustacean from his head.

Razor looked about as he spotted a few more ponies, and two kids. One pony in particular looked like a drowned rat, and seemed to be in the middle of delusionary hysterics or something. The kids were playing and Razor hoped they wouldn't notice him, or at least if they did to hopefully leave him alone. Razor didn't mind kids, its just.....they never stopped with the questions. Ever.

'Well there goes the solitude.' Razor thought with a sigh as he chomped on his sandwhich finishing it. He looked over to the pony that was thrashing about and he got up and flew over to see what the problem was.

"Hey pal, if you keep that up somepony here is gonna think you're either mental or dying." He said as he grabbed the crab and yanked it off the stallion's ear. Razor looked at the small crustacean in his claws, then tossed it aside.

'Was he spasming over a crab?' Razor thought, looking at the Stallion with a look that said 'you're pathetic'.

"Excuse me.", Fire Walker quickly made her way towards the stallion who was in hysterics. She did feel rather bad for the griffon who she glanced over with apologetic eyes. He was minding his own business and enjoying both the weather and the beach with what appeared to be his companion when Swift Squall wandered into view. She enjoyed the company of the unicorn, but he always had to make a dramatic entrance. The playboy couldn't just attend a wedding, he had to parachute out of moving airship into the wedding party itself. The pony was such a drama-king. But still, she needed to make sure he was alright. The mare helped him over to her towel, which she laid him down onto. "Sweet Celestia Sir Squall, what did you do this time?", she started to remove his heavy trench-coat, or what at least remained of it, along with any other clothing he wore. "Wind, please get me one of the waters. Fast, get the first aid kit!"

Wind Walker had never approved of the stallion, but she kept her lips sealed as she went over to the cooler. The colt was confused, "Is he going to be alright?", he asked while going through their cart. The Pegasus nodded her head, "I think so.", she wrapped an towel around the stallion's waist and quickly looked him over. She hated those scars, it was bad enough he had so many of them, but some were dark enough to be seen through his coat. She intended for him to visit a potion maker. She knew of certain potions, when applied over time could break up dead skin and heal and eventually even remove the old scars. She noticed what appeared to be a new scar near his navel and started to wonder if he did this all to himself. Still, the unicorn's trusted servant Oak Branch had insisted with her that he was not hurting himself. His job, his lifestyle and his way of living had caused these scars and wounds.

The filly hoofed over a small bottle of water, which Fire quickly opened, "Here, you look dehydrated.", she started to wonder if he had swallowed some of the salty water which probably didn't make his fresher wounds feel so hot. Thankfully for the most part, he appeared to be fine. Once she fed him enough water, she kissed the side of his muzzle, "Can you speak? Tell me everything."

[colour=green]"Fire? It's not your turn yet. I should have a nightmare today..."[/colour] unicorn said, still a little delusional. And then he noticed that something was off. First, where was his duster? And why he is on the beach? Everything? What everything? Then few gears in his head started spinning as crimson mare gave him a couple gulps of water. Everythin got clear, at last in his mind. By the starts, did he said that aloud!? Sweet Celestia he did! And she landed the kiss on his muzzle. His face turned red even before he opened his mouth.

[colour=green]"I-I mean...usually I d-dream about our group h-hanging up together a-and all, hahaha. Ugghhh...everything too bright...I lost my sunglasses."[/colour] he added, but somehow knew that it didn't seemed very convincing. He sighted and then coughed couple of times. The salt in seawater burned his throat a little, making his voice a little husky. He looked at Fire, with a apologizing expression. Pegasus didn't liked his scars apparently.

[colour=green]"Not...exactly a pretty look, isn't it? Sorry, I didn't intended to ever show you this 'collection'. I could remove those...but I kept them, to remind me about my mistakes..and how stupid I can be at times..."[/colour] Swift Squall confessed. [colour=green]"You want to know how I ended here? Where should I start?"[/colour] sworstallion pondered for a moment, but then got an idea [colour=green]"I will tell you...but only if have to tell me what happened during your last mission in return.[/colour] Swift make a slight smile.

“Don’t worry Sir Squall. I believe somepony believed we would run into each other today. When I was shopping for beach stuff, I was given a package.”, she nodded at Fast Track who opened up a small bag. This bag contained a pair of sunglasses the unicorn would normally wear and a pair of stylish swim-trunks. "Fast Track, could you please help Sir Squall with the the trunks?', the colt looked totally mortified, "Wait, what?". The mare rolled her eyes, "Just push them onto his bottom legs over his hooves. He can always use his magic to pull them up.", she pulled out the glasses and placed them on his face, "Are these prescription? And don't worry about dreaming about me. As long as it's good. Usually around wintertime I get this 'Private Pansy' dream. It's rather unpleasant.", she chuckled and glanced over at Razor.

"And I remember you from Cloudsale. You and your friend are free to use the cooler. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to bring any adult beverages being a public beach and all, but I have a few good ones in there. Cola. Fruit Juice and some of that lemon water Wonderbolt Misty Morning apparently endorses. There's a few sandwiches down there, including a few with fish. We don't eat fish, but our good friend Zelda does. She was supposed to be here, but her trip was delayed.", she sighed and glanced back at the unicorn.

"Well, I guess now is a good time to tell you. I've been through a bit, but I believe I've in the best shape I've been in months. Physically and mentally. But how about you?", a small grunt could be heard, "Pull up your trunks. And if you need anything, please tell me.", she pulled out another towel and laid it near the stallion. She slowly made her way down onto it and leaned against him, "This happened after our little trip to Itaily. Once Wind and I got back.", she glanced over at the filly who was busy sipping on a juice box. "We hit the train for Canterlot. She had school the next day, so I had to get her home, I was also called to the castle. I was given yet another generally easy assignment, but one that was considered important. We all thought it was a bit of a joke. A very old joke.", she took a sip from a bottle she kept with her. If the unicorn took time to see what it was, he would see that she was drinking soda.

"Generally every few years our Captain would send a few of us up north via train through the 'track to nowhere'. This is a very old system of tracks that do in fact lead somewhere which is a small station in the middle of a frozen wasteland. Generally we are sent with a small squad of engineers who have to inspect the rails and tracks to make sure everything is in place. Since the track is rarely used, they generally just need to watch out for missing tracks due to scavengers or even corrosion by the ice. It's all very boring stuff and I do apologize.", she shook her head sadly, "They check the tracks, we make sure the engineers are safe, cause you get some wild characters the further you go up north. Trolls. Diamond Dogs. Even a dragon or two. Generally things are settled peaceful. Sometimes they're lost or hungry and we do our best to help. This time things were different. The tracks were perfect. Everything was quiet. No encounters with anyone or anypony. The engineers were bored as were we. We make it to the station, they almost admittedly set to work on the water station. Then one of the guys, an earth pony whose name I forgot looks up and he's like, "Look! A tower".", she tried her best to mimic a stallion's voice, "We of course thought he was full of applesauce, but sure enough we look up and there was what appeared to be two rather strange looking spires. Made of crystals! They weren't there before, so Captain Risk orders myself and two other Pegasus ponies to go and check it out. We had nothing better to do and it was our job to inspect and report any irregularities back to Canterlot. The original idea was that we would fly over, but the wind got really strong halfway so we had to hoof it to the spires. As we get closer, I started to actually feel the cold. I'm sure you've heard me blather on about my enchanted armor before. You put it on. It could be summer and hot as hades, but it still feels good. It's winter, but I still feel warm. A bloody lifesaver. But as we get closer to the spires we notice a horrifying mist or shadow behind us. It was huge! It was like a..I dunno, just black smoke, but really black. Dark as night. So we start to panic, and if that wasn't bad enough, two very large eyes just appear in the smoke. Green eyes. Blood red pupils. Purple magic coming from the eyes. It said something, I was unaware what it said because we were running. I ordered the other two to run towards the Spire, but they were to terrified to listen. They just bolted into opposite directions. I tried to run, but it felt like everything was in slow motion. I turned to see the shadow right on me, and a bloody horn emerged from the center of his eyes. And when I mean bloody, I really mean bloody! I let out a scream and then he er..", she glanced over at the two kids who were busy with their castle. "It basically merged with my body, my soul everything. It was the worst feeling I ever felt, even worse than when I was a filly and had those..er..issues. This shadow looked into me and saw everything and judged everything I ever did. Mocking me at every-turn, everything. Mocked my life. My relationship with Dunder, my family. Everything. I passed out. And Risk found me curled up near a track. I had severe frost burn and my mane had turned pure silver. They never did find the other two Pegasus and we had to get back. Captain took care of me while the Earth Pony guard was able to hoof it to the castle to warn the two sisters. They got ahold of their Champions and they fixed everything, or at least I assume they did.", her voice got low.

"I was in quarantine for a month. They sent some of their better mages and doctors to make sure that shadow wasn't still in me, or even left a trace. I was clean. My hair turned proper red and I was permitted to go back home. Had to keep quiet about, but I was gone. And you saw me in the wedding. I probably looked insane. The dreams were still really bad then. Big stupid smile on my face. But you.", she smiled at the stallion, "Even with the silly stunt you pulled, just seeing you made me happy. And we spent time together after the wedding. Made me feel even better. I got back into shape in Cloudsdale. Even heard my old griffon friend was coming back to Canterlot. Still, you started the good and I want to thank you.", she placed her right top leg over his chest.

"Ah Gross! Yuck City!", Wind Walker called out as she caught sight of this act, "You two aren't gonna start going all kissy here? In this public beach? With all these people about are you?", the Elder mare glanced over at her sister with a frown, "I'm hugging him. Relax."

“Don’t worry Sir Squall. I believe somepony believed we would run into each other today. When I was shopping for beach stuff, I was given a package.”, she nodded at Fast Track who opened up a small bag. This bag contained a pair of sunglasses the unicorn would normally wear and a pair of stylish swim-trunks.

[colour=green]"It was my doing. When I was heading to the sea, I send similar packages to the shops I am benefactor off all over the coast - along with photos off ponies who should receive such packages if spotted. It's pure luck that I ended here thought <cough, cough>"[/colour] swordstallion explained while pulling on swim-trunks with his magic.

Then, he just sit on the towel listening to Fire story with calm, yet curious expression. Although he gulped once when mare got down beside him. She was...warm, just as her name would suggest.

His serene face soon shifted into one torn between concern and anger, even more as the pegasus story progressed. And then when she finally thanked him, he hugged her. Tightly.

[colour=green]"If I would know...."[/colour] Squall whispered to her ear [colour=green]"And don't let the things he said get to you. He was the being of greed and envy, but now he's gone, blown to pieces."[/colour] he said, displaying surprising knowledge about Fire tormentor.

[colour=green]"The guy you encountered is known in Unyasi as Kivuli Mfalme, and I heard about him from zebra shamans. He was an unicorn millennium ago..."[/colour]

Swift started talking about usurper of the Crystal Kingdom, his unspeakable crimes, first defeat by the hooves of the Princesses, and finally his demise - about which he learned through reporters and journalists who worked for his father.

[colour=green]"...so as you see he's gone, and for good. Although now I wish I got piece of a ******* for myself, to beat loving daylight out of him."[/colour] swordstallion sunglasses shined in the 'sinister' way.

[colour=green]"And now I guess now it comes a moment when I tell you how did I got here? It all started when I learned about a ship, that supposed to transport contraband to Aquelia, has docked in my city. My...informers aren't exactly...trusted by the law department - they are orphans and pickpockets. I pay for there excesses and in turn, they are my eyes and ears in Fillydelphia. Nevertheless...hearing that some ship crew are the smugglers, and proving it are two different things. I sneaked aboard the ship to gain evidence and indeed I have found it. Yet, on my way out, ship boatswain dropped a piano on me using riparian crane. I was to slow and got hit, and immediately after that smugglers ganged up against me. Normally I would give them their rumps but I was all woozy from the earlier impact. One of them hit me in the back of the my head and everything blacked out...<cough,cough>"[/colour] stallion paused for a moment, to catch his breath before resuming [colour=green]"When I woke up, I was locked in small cabin and the ship was already on the sea. My single possession was my duster, I got restriction ring on my horn and weapons and equipment I had with myself previous night were taken...with one little exception. I had hidden small file in my mane, ideal to take on bars or other metal parts. Unfortunately the doors were wooden, there was no window and the guard was sitting outside. I was forced to focus on the massive door hinges. It took me three uptight nights to wear them enough while the warden was napping, all the time they were feeding me poorly, with only bread and little water. Now I wonder why they kept me around, guess they wished to get ransom or something, and they wanted to soften me up with thirst and hunger....Anyway, on the fourth morning when my jailer was bringing me breakfast, I bucked the door and it's weight pinned the poor sap down. Before he could scream for help I knocked him out with hoof to the face. From him, I got key to my horn rings. Using my average magical skills I repaired the cabin door and put mine jailer inside. I also took his clothes and wrapped them around my hooves to silence the steps. I managed to sneak into the vessel hold, where I retrieved all my stuff. I also took a decent meal. When I got out of the hold, I found out that smugglers were already armed and alerted...which was strange, for they shouldn't know about my escape yet. I knocked out all off the captors I came across, on my way to the main deck. When I got to the sun, for first time in four day I realized why they were so livid. The smugglers got ambushed by the pirates and I just emerged into the massive rumble ensuing on two clenched ships..."[/colour] Swift stopped right there, with his voice a little worn out from this talking [colour=green]"Something to drink please?"[/colour]

Fire Walker was rather confused. How the hay did Sir Squall know about this? He knew more about the shadow-creature, this 'Kivuli Mfalme' than she did, and the mare was there. Still, she did not question the stallion. He had his ways. "I don't think a shadow could be defeated like a regular beast. You might be able to stop it with magic, but there's always a chance it could reform itself sometime in the future. When it was in my head..", she shuddered for a moment, "I could feel its madness, it's rage. There wasn't much there. A mutual friend of mine had encountered something similar in the frozen north in the griffon kingdom, but the creature was pony sized and easily defeated with strong emotions.", she let the unicorn continue.

Once again, she nodded her head during his story. This all sounded like vigilantism, which she could not abide for. She knew the police force in Fillydelphia had issues and needed a bit of improvement in nearly all of their departments. She made her way over to the cooler and snatched up a drink before hoofing it over, "You do know I do not approve of what you do. At least how you handle it. I know The R.E.A in your hometown is a bit..", she tried to think of a nice word and bit her bottom lip as she did, "Intermediate, but I could only imagine the help you could give if you worked for them as opposed to against them.I know a few of their leaders in Fillydelphia who are near retirement. My father knows them well. He generally refers to them in words I could not say in public. Near children."

Wind Walker interrupted, "Ah come on! I know. I hear Dad talk all the time! I walk past the swear-jar everyday. Jar is so big, banks stop by and borrow bits from us!", she let out a chuckle but stopped mid-ha when Fast Track gave her a dirty look, "Help me find some drift wood for a draw-bridge.", he growled. The filly saluted him and wandered off.

"Sorry.", the mare apologized, "But you put your influence and wealth behind helping the city, I know things will get better and you won't get yourself killed. Just work with my father. Work with whoever will listen. Not sure what good I could do, but I know some people out there who would be willing to help."

Razor wasn't really sure what these two ponies were tallking about, nor did he really care. He was here to relax and he would.

"Um thanks. But I have my own cooler of stuff. Still the other is nice. Anyway...um...I guess you two want some privacy so....bye." Razor said as he flew off back to his spot.

He landed back on his towel and lounged on his back, popping a pair of sunglasses on. Now for some relaxation.

"You do know I do not approve of what you do. At least how you handle it. I know The R.E.A in your hometown is a bit..", she tried to think of a nice word and bit her bottom lip as she did, "Intermediate, but I could only imagine the help you could give if you worked for them as opposed to against them. I know a few of their leaders in Fillydelphia who are near retirement. My father knows them well. He generally refers to them in words I could not say in public. Near children."

[colour=green]"You know Fire, this was the point of this sneaking part - too gain the proof of the crew illegal activities, present them to REA officials in the city and let them handle the rest. And I don't oppose them! I donated them much needed equipment few times already."[/colour] Swift protested before taking the first sip [colour=green]"And your pops is completely right about Fillydelphia Garrison leadership. I just hope they will go away quickly. They are few cool younger officers there but...a drop in the bucket. I wish more REA ponies would choose Filly for their allocation. A few with a elastic approach like yourself, and all would be easier. That reminds me...why you are still living with your parents?"[/colour]

"Sorry.", the mare apologized, "But you put your influence and wealth behind helping the city, I know things will get better and you won't get yourself killed. Just work with my father. Work with whoever will listen. Not sure what good I could do, but I know some people out there who would be willing to help."

[colour=green]"You too nice. After all, I am the last heir of only remaining Founding Family. It's my...obligation, I think."[/colour] with a slight effort, Swift managed to sit [colour=green]"I don't know...I just can't turn a blind eye when something unjust happens. I know it's puts me into a trouble...like this recent one - smugglers, pirates, sharks, killer whales and kraken - yet I can't do simply nothing!"[/colour] said the unicorn with sudden outburst of emotion, but his face became gloomy immediately after [colour=green]"I just hope that it's enough to make a difference."[/colour] swordstallion added mumbling, and sighted.

[colour=green]"You know that griffon, right? I can be wrong...but he didn't made a positive first impression on me."[/colour] Swift glared at, now distant Razor [colour=green]"Speaking of past...you still do that tai-chi sessions that I showed you after the wedding?"[/colour]

"Living with my parents? Guess it's easy.", Fire bluntly replied, "I do love the old house, and two of the older brothers have been married off and living with their wives. The eldest, Cordy lives in Trottingham. They just had a kid a few months ago. Speed just got married. I attended his marriage shortly before the mess in the Crystal Kingdom and slightly after our trip to Itaily. He and his wife live in Manehatten. The place is starting to get a little quieter, but my other brothers do live in the house. Wind is still in Elementary school, and both my other younger brothers are in school. Still, times are changing.", she sighed, "In the old days, you'd just live in the family home, even after you got married. Need room? They'd just throw on another expansion. Probably why these old manors are so big. But none of the brothers intend on living in the house once they graduate and become employed, and my parents always seem to be traveling, both business and pleasure.", she scooted up a little and glanced over at her younger sister and her friend who were currently staring at the griffon.

"Folks will probably end up selling the old place. There's generally new families with new wealth moving into Canterlot all the time. Not sure where I'd go. Usually when things got busy, I'd just crash at the officer's barracks. Or sometimes at Docket's apartment. Maybe once this pesky adventuring bug decides to leave me alone, I might decide to get a place of my own. Maybe Fillydelphia? I always considered it my 'second home'. You have a place there, as does Muggo'. He and his family own a tavern there. Maybe I'll get a little place in the city and see about fixing up the mess over there with you. I wouldn't be running the R.E.A there, but I would help make changes.", she smiled and moved a little closer to the stallion. "And yes, I've been still doing the whole T'ai chi ch'uan. Since it ties into my own form of fighting, I've been actually taking classes at the C.Y.P.A for not just the health training, but the self defense as well. Your unicorn telekinesis makes it suitable for you to use a sword, but for those of us who cannot use magic, it's generally awkward to use a hilted blade. Most in the R.E.A use pole arms, but those are such sluggish weapons. Not suitable for a Pegasus. I use the ol' punch daggers, which translate well when using Taolu-form."

"As for Razor, I met him in Cloudsdale. Decent sort of fellow. He's very competitive. Always wants to race. I just hope the kids don't pester him, then I will have to get up, and Wind should know I will not be a very happy pony if I have to do so. Very comfortable with you at this moment. Like all my worries just washed away.", she hugged him a bit more and kissed his cheek.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

"Are they still kissing?", Wind Walker asked the colt as they sat within a respectful distance from Razor. "Yeah, she's kissing his cheek. His face cheek.", the young pony quickly corrected himself, "They really seem to like each other a lot.". The filly was not amused, "Can't believe she lost Dunder and got him. I'm pretty sure he's a hobo. Every time I see him he's covered in something or all beat up. Or tied. Or stinky. I'm a little worried they might get married, then Fire will move into his hobo camp and have little hobo kids."

The colt gasped, "Hobo? Are you kidding? That's Sir Swift Squall. He's like the Fillydelphian version of Fancy Pants or Prince Blueblood. Just not as rich, but he's still up there. Has homes all over Equestria and even a really cool airship. Maybe an fleet of them! I heard some bad stuff happened when he was younger, but he is kind of cool. Imagine how cool Hearth's Warming Day would be if you had an Uncle Swift Squall? I do recall a good deal of grumbling from a certain blue pony after last year's festivities. Your married brothers and their spouses got you what, socks? Do ponies even wear socks?". The filly ignored his question which made him ask, "So what are we doing now? I'd like to finish my castle before it gets dark.", he grumbled.

"Just looking at the griffon here. I've never seen a boy griffon before. Always girls. Like Fire's friend, or that kid two grades down from us? What's her name? She's all white. Feathers and fur.", the colt shrugged his shoulders, "He's different. He's smaller than Zelda and he doesn't have her curves. More wiry. He probably works out a lot. Always wanted to know if griffons are hatched in eggs like birds, or are they like ponies? Just trying to see if he has a belly button. He's got too much fur.", she grumbled, "Just wish he'd lay on his tummy for a bit."

"So you can look at his flank?", the colt grumbled, not at all keen about the idea of his 'mare-friend' checking another guy out. "If you need me, I'll be at the castle. Working on the walls.", he sighed and stomped off to finish his sandcastle. Wind stayed at her spot and continued to study the griffon.

Razor lounged for a brief moment longer before having enough of standing still and raised his back legs and brought them down fast. The swinging motion forced his upper body and he landed on his back legs, and leaned forward to place his claws on the ground. Theatrical, but Razor enjoyed showing off, if just to himself.

"Alright," Razor said as he dug into his cooler and popped out a bottle of cider and an apple, "what to do?"

Razor thought on what options of entertainment were open to him as he started slashing his claws swiftly across the apple. When he was done the apple fell into slices, tossing the core into a bag for later disposal. He chowed down on the apple slices, enjoying the tart and sweet mixture of the fruit.

"Hmm, oh I know. Might as well do some stooping practice." He said and chugged his cider before reaching into a side container of his cooler and pulled out a beat up stuffed bird. The stuffed animal was loaded with sand to give it some extra weight, and was covered in stitchs where sharp claws broke the fabric.

"And I got a crowd." He said, tossing the stuffed bird up and down in his claw. Razor walked out away from his stuff, spotting a filly and colt nearby. The filly was staring at him, which Razor raised an eyebrow at but ignored for the most part. He at least had a captive audiance already.

Razor crouched down, ready to take off and threw the rag doll bird up as high as his claws could. With the bird flying Razor spread his wings and took off after it, catching it in midair as he climbed higher, and higher into the sky. He tossed the rag doll this way and that, spinning, spiraling, diving after it each time always catching it and climbing higher still.

Finally reaching the highest area of sky, where the wind was almost at its thinnest Razor spun the rag doll about and threw it down as hard as he could towards the ground. The rag doll fell, gaining speed with its descent. Razor smirked, watching it fall for a few moments before folding in his wings, angled perfectly to slice through the wind and make him less wind resistent. Without his wings to hold him up Razor fell, diving after the rag doll, his downward velocity increasing at a rapid speed and the ground growing closer and closer.

Razor felt his heart beating as he now fell close to the rag doll, the adrenaline pumping in his veins and making everything seem so clear. The ground grew closer still, and still Razor dived. He smiled gleefully, and with rapid strike his claws jabbed into the rag doll. Sadly the force of the blow slammed the doll away from his claws before they could get a hold and the rag doll slammed into the ground.

"Darn it!" Razor shouted and turned in his descent, wings spreading with just a few feet between him and the ground. The change in angle shot Razor out towards the sea, and he stuck a claw down into the water, cutting through it and sending a tail of water follwing behind him as he turned and flew back to shore. Reaching the beach he let his legs hit the sand, letting the friction slow he down, and a cloud of sand following as he slowed. He finally stopped, and spread his wings in a show offing pose.

"I rule." He said.

She was too close. Muuuch too close. Not that it was unpleasant in any way. It...it just was happening way too fast! He wasn't ready for this!

And the way that she was saying about being 'comfortable' and 'less worried'. To be honest, Swift started panicking a little!

Not that he was coward in any way. He used to stand against unfair odds and dangers that would make most other ponies blood freeze in the veins. Ninja warriors, beast of the Unyasi wildness, pirates and many others threats was not enough to make him blink. In fact, Squall was the calmest when at hair's breadth from doom.

It was a bit silly, but sitting and being hugged by mare that he had a crush for, terrified a sworstallion!

And then she kissed him...

Never mind that it was kiss on the cheek. It was enough to make Swift as red as tomato. Especially after all that talk from her. He could feel his face burning and his head filled with embarrassment, excitement and....happiness? Did she noticed him blushing? Of course she noticed! Unless she suffered sudden case of temporary blindness. Could...could it be that Fire was teasing him?

[colour=green]"I-is that s-s-s-strange? A-after a-all it's what f-friends are f-for, haha?"[/colour] he spoke, stuttering like a total dork. Not being able to stand it anymore unicorn rised up to his still shaking legs. [colour=green]"I-I-I-I-I need to u-use the r-restroom. Yes, t-thats it! R-restroom!"[/colour] he 'explained' before making a temporary retreat, as fast as his wobbling legs allowed him to go.

While the little colt kept busy with his sandcastle. Wind Walker devoted her full attention onto the griffon. The little blue filly was impressed right away at his dissection of the apple, and wisely decided she would never get on his bad side, or she would end up in pieces like the formally round pomaceous fruit. At first, she wasn't sure what to make out of his declaration of his intended 'stooping practice'. When she heard that word 'stoop' in the past, the unicorn and family friend, 'Pocket Change' was being spoken about, generally in the lines of 'How low could he stoop?' or 'How low did he stoop this time'? While she never bothered to ask what it meant, it looked like she was bout to get a demonstration.

The little pony was confused further by Razor's little interaction with his bird toy and wanted to ask what he was doing, but she still had her own fears of ending up like that poor apple to attend to. Still as silent as a mouse, she kept watching. Right away, as he took to the sky, she quickly decided this version of 'stooping' was a good deal different than the variation Pocket was rumored to do. Not only was he deathly afraid of heights, he also could not fly. Still, she watched more and couldn't help but be impressed by his little air-show. He apparently didn't do what he had intended to, but it was still pretty impressive for the filly. She let out a generous 'oooh', but left out the 'ahhs'. "Hey! Why aren't you watching this?", she turned back and asked her colt-friend.

"Cause I'd rather finish my castle than watch your new boyfriend.", he grunted back. Fast Track could not believe the feelings he had at the moment. He was actually JEALOUS? When he first met the Pegasus pony, he found her to be rather annoying. She had publicly announced that the recent transfer to Canterlot Elementary was going to be her new 'best-colt-friend-forever' or 'BCFF'. At first, he tried to avoid her, but eventually after some dedication on the little filly's part, and a rather complex musical number they and several other students shared together, he realized he in fact liked the little blue lunatic. And not only did he gain the friendship of the young mare, he also gained a good deal of new friends that Wind normally hung around with. No longer was he just a background fixture. Others started to notice him, and things were working out fine with him, even if he had to endure a quick kiss on the cheek or forehead from time time.

"He's not my new boyfriend.", she grumbled back as she cantered back to the colt, "Just a really cool griffon who can do tricks. And yeah.", she added with a blush, "He is kind of hunky, but he's like two or three times my age. So Yuck.", she gave the colt a quick hug and continued to help build his castle. The colt smiled briefly before working a few new shells into the side of the sandy walls.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Oh yeah! Go ahead..er...", she noticed how Swift wobbled when he headed off to use the restroom and finally realized something. "Oh feathers. I'm such a kicking out with hind-legs idiot.", she grumbled to herself as he walked of.

Here she was, with the famous Swift Squall; millionaire playboy, well beloved pony-philanthropist, and apparently a bit of a vigilante on the side, and she was snogging and hoofing him like she was a silly school-mare on her first date. She was making a rather obvious mistake with the unicorn as she was treating the well respected member of the Filladelphian high society like she did to her former stallion-friend Dunder. While the Pegasus Stallion was as brave as one could get, and as fierce as a hundred griffons, he was generally rather immature when it came to the mares. And considering how shook up the pony was as he left, she started to worry if he had any intentions of returning to her side. He was probably hoping the nearest taxi, or maybe even Oak Branch was waiting to pick him up. She slowly sat up and groaned to herself, looking rather pitiful and wishing she could have at least snuck a few ciders or beers into the beach. She glanced over at two kids and silently wished it could be that simple again.

Razor stretched and picked up the old rag doll bird. He tossed it over to his spot, and took in a deep breath as he felt the adrenaline pumping through his body fade away.

"Darn I love flying." He said to himself.

Still, Razor needed more. He needed a challange, something that puts his wings to the test. He looked at Fire Walker and rubbed his chin in thought.

"She'll do." He said and flew over.

"Yo. Hey you want to race? Or maybe an aerial contest? Or do you want to try stooping contest?" Razor said, landing beside Fire Walker.

Swift hasty entry to the beach restroom had accompaniment of the loud door slam. Sworstallion didn't really felt the need to use the toilet. What he really sough was a place to cool down. He walked slowly - but more stably on his legs - to the sink and turned on the water. Putting his glasses aside he stared to wash his face.

[colour=green]"Fire kissed me. Does she like me....in that way?"[/colour] he asked himself in his mind.

He stared washing his cheeks with his left hoof. He could both feel and see in the mirror that they were still burning.

[colour=green]"She seemed rather...clingy. It's true that she was through a lot and all yet it didn't felt right...Yes I desire her but....it..it's seem too soon! I should earn her feelings first." [/colour] he rubbed his eyes and washed the eye bags.

[colour=green]"I mean...yes I want to help her....too make her happy. Horseapples...can't even think straight."[/colour] Squall angrily slammed the wall with his right hoof. Unicorn leaned on sink and stared blankly at his reflection trying to sort everything in his head.

[colour=green]"Maybe Fire really likes me. She said that she was comfortable and all. Or does she subconsciously looks for some stallion to comfort her?"[/colour] he asked himself. Unicorn founded Fire attractive in all sense of the word, but did it was the same from her side?

[colour=green]"There is only one way to find out....I will ask her to go with me at this theater premiere that Dad asked me to write review off. Essentially ask her for a date. A first date."[/colour] Swift pulled his head under running water to wash his mane, lots of sand got into it.

[colour=green]"Come to think of it, would it really be the first one?"[/colour] he stopped his front legs with this sudden realization. [colour=green]"We hanged out a lot - just the two of us - already if I remember. That time when we first meet, at that pit. Or that day in the Canterlot. Two times in Fillydelphia. After the wedding, when she put Wind to sleep and I showed her some kung fu at midnight. In the Itaily...wait..that time we where chased by the thugs. That doesn't count."[/colour] unicorn face hoofed at his own silliness, splashing water around with a gesture.

[colour=green]"And now today...even if by accident. Oh snap! I left her alone! Fire probably thinks she did something wrong, and feel horrible about herself right now. I should go back."[/colour] he brushed off water from his mane. Now that Squall saw himself in the mirror...he wasn't half bad chunk off stallion. If not for those scars, one could say that he was rather hoovesome. Somewhat between pretty colt and the macho kind of look. Squall shook his head to get rid of unnecessary thoughts. Sometimes he thinks too much.

Unicorn cheeked the pockets of his trunks. Normal swimming gear didn't had those, but Squall liked to be prepared. As expected he found a pouch filled with bits. He better buy Fire something as an apology.

He left restroom, much calmer then when he entered.

[colour=green]"Ackk! Forgot too turn off the water! And glasses!"[/colour]

“Seriously?”, Fire Walker glanced up at the handsome griffon with a grin, “I don’t believe, even in the prime of my life when I was in the best shape ever back in college I could even consider challenging you. I’m an Canterlot Pegasus Pony. We’re not known for being fast. I’m practically an earth pony who just happens to have wings. I’ve also been laying on my back for a bit in this bathing suit and I currently have a bit of sand in places I’d prefer sand not to be. Also need to keep an eye on the little ones. I also..”

The smaller, blue Pegasus interrupted her older sister in mid-excuse, “Oh fiddle-faddle! I’m an Canterlot Pegasus and I’m as fast as any other pony or griffon, doesn’t matter where he or she’s from, be it Cloudsdale or Ponyville. I’m fast! Teachers all said I was. Dad’s friend who just happens to be one of the Wonderbolts trainers said so! He said I was as fast as Fleetfoot was when she was my age. So I’ll race you mister. Not sure what you were doing with your toy birdie, but unlike my big sis who enjoyed a bit too much of high society during her little trip with Dunder and Uncle Muggo’, I’m light as feather.”

This did not please her sister, “Hey! I’m not fat.”, she growled, “I was just never that much of a flyer. You’re the first in the family that’s ever been much of a racer, but you need to be careful.”, her face and tone turned rather serious, “You’re agile and fast, I’ll give you that, but you’re still a child and you still have your limits. Don’t forget that and if anything happens to you..”

Once again Wind interrupted her sister, “Nothing will happen to me. I flew from Canterlot to Ponyville when I was a foal in like record time. Lemme show Mister Griffon here a thing or two about us Pegasus ponies.”, she extended her wings and struck a pose.

“In your ducky bathing suit?”, the little colt finally stopped working on his castle to look up.”

“Er? Ducky?”, she looked down at the image on her one piece swim-suit, “Oh. Thought I was a baby griffon. Why would a baby duck be wearing a floaty? Can’t they swim like right away?”, she shook her head for a moment as she was starting to stray from the important subject, “Right. Er Razor? Where do you want to start? And give me the rules.”, she followed the griffon as both Fire and Fast Track watched. The older mare glanced back towards where Swift Squall had cantered off to and hoped he would be back soon.

Razor listened to the excuses, rolling his eyes. He opened his beak to give a retort, when the little pegasus came up and started challanging HIM!

Razor blinked, "You?" He said to Wind, "race me?"

Razor smirked and looked the little pegasus over. He walked around her, then lifted oner of her wings with his claw and looked at it before letting it go and walking back to his original spot.

"Hmmm. Young....but....I guess I can't be picky. Besides you got attitude, and I like that." He said, watching the two sisters bicker a bit with amusement.

When Fire brought up her age and to limits Razor gave a raspberry, "Pfft. Limits, thats an excuse. Feldlings her age would already be flying with the adults, or in hunting trips. A griffon that falls behind, gets left behind as we say."

Razor thought on the rules of the race, he didn't want something easy, but he knew that if he put the kid in too much danger he would get in trouble.

"If the kid wants to race, let her. Limits are meant to be overcomed anyway, thats how you become a great flier. Sure you get hurt, but you get better. Besides a little pain builds character." He said.

Razor snapped his claws and got an idea for the race, he walked off and told the filly as she followed the details, "Okay kid here is what we will do."

Razor stuck a claw into the sand and made a line, "We start here, then we will fly out over the water. The waves should be a decent height to add some obstacles, so either fly beside them as they crash, or fly through that hole they always make. We will do that for five waves then we will fly upwards, till about a thousand feet. If you don't know what that is just wait till I stop flying up. We will then dive down till we reach that small bluff of rock and tide pools over there."

Razor pointed to a stretch of land a good half a mile or so from their current stop, "After that we will fly back here and the first to cross the line wins. If you can handle that, maybe I'll show you what I was doing with that stuffed bird you saw. If you win."

Razor put emphasis on the if. Like a filly pony was going to beat him in a race. The only kid to beat him in a race was his siter Glimmer, and thats cause he let her. The smile on her face was always worth it.

"Alright ready?" Razor said, getting into posistion to take off. He licked his beak in anticipation for the race. Even if it was against a kid.

When Wind was ready, Razor took off with a flap of his wings. He put a bit of force into his flight to start, intending to get ahead of the filly and then slow down and just leisurely flying the rest of the way. Already he was flying over the ocean and darting through the tunnel that all waves from as they finish their motion, spirlaing through one then three. He felt he had this race in the bag, when a strike of blue rushed past him.

"What the?" Razor looked and saw Wind fly right past him, finishing the third wave tunnel before him. Razor blinked as he flew out and dove into the next, snarling a bit that a filly would pass him. He flew fast now, so that he and Wind were neck and neck now.

"Not bad kid." Razor said as they finished the final wave tunnel and the two began to fly upward. Razor flapped hard, angling his wings to pick up wind currents to force him up. Wind was holding her ground, but Razor felt sure that she would start to tire soon. When the two reached a high altitude, perhaps a bit too high, Razor closed his wings and dived. This he was skilled at, and he bullted ahead of Wind. Razor kept an eye on her as he dived, to be sure that she didn't mess up and risk an injury or a splat like doom. When she pulled out of the dive, Razor opened his wings and allow his downward force to become a forward force and propel like a lightning bolt towards the outcrop of rocks that he had pointed out earlier.

Razor and Wind flew, though the little filly was now starting to show signs of exhaustion and was starting to lag behind. But she kept up and this impressed Razor. Razor paused as he touched down on the rocks, letting Wind catch up.

"Final stretch kid. Time for the hard stuff." Razor said, chuckling.

He took off again, and flew as fast as he could. Wind kept up at the rear, but Razor had experience and full grown stamina on his side, and youthful energy could only last so long. Skidding to a halt he crossed the finish line and did a one claw stand as Wind passed the line a bit after him.

"Not bad kid. You did okay, though I had the advantage in the end. Still, give you a few years and you might be a challenge worth facing." Razor said as he flipped back to all fours.

• Like 1

The little filly gasped at Razor’s ‘a griffon that falls behind, gets left behind' comment. "That's not true is it?", she turned and asked her sister, "Who would leave somepony behind if they couldn't keep up? That would be a horrible thing to do. Just 'cause a pony is weak when they're little, doesn't mean they'll be weak forever. You were very sick as a kid, but dad and mum never gave up on you.", she glanced down at the elder mare, who quickly sat up and gave the little Pegasus a hug, " And because of them, I never let my little issues drag me down. I may have struggled, but I never stopped fighting, even when things didn't always go my way..I er..", she paused and released the younger pony. "Alright. You can go and race Mister Razor. But you better swear that you will listen to EVERYTHING he says and do what he tells you alright?"

The filly rolled her eyes, "Yeah yeah. I promise. You think I should make a bet? If I can beat him, he has to kiss me right?", Wind Walker waggled her eyebrows as she added the last part. This only annoyed her sister, "No kissing! Just race the guy. You'll probably learn a good deal from him in the process, win or lose."

"I'm going with your first pick.", the blue mare ended as she cantered off towards the griffon and patiently listened to his instructions. "I was born ready!", she never missed a cliché as she answered his question, and in moments they were off!

Fast Track took a break from building his castle and watched the race along with Fire Walker. "She's crazy. That guy's like a million times stronger and bigger than her!", he whispered while looking rather worried. The two watched the race silently until the young colt's jaw nearly hit the sandy beach as his school-mate rushed ahead of the griffon. "She's actually beating him? Leaping Luna! She's actually beating him! I do hope Mister Griffon's friends aren't nearby and can see a little kid in a ducky bathing suit beating him fair and square."

Fire Walker sighed dramatically. Why must everyone make jokes about Wind Walker's bathing suit? She got it for last year's Hearth's Warming Day. It was an odd gift to give a kid during the winter, but it was a promise that they would have fun together during the warmer and sunnier seasons. And it looked cute on her. "Just watch the race. I doubt Razor is going to give up so easily."

They watched the race and Wind Walker's close, but predicable defeat.

The young filly landed right after the griffon and sighed, "A FEW years? Nuh-hu! I nearly beat you! Give me a few months and I'll be racing circles around yah!", she was not saddled by defeat, but apparently had something to look forward to, "So Mister Razor, are we gonna play with your little bird toy? I mean, after I rest for a little bit. I do believe I have a juice box calling to me! I hope it's grape!", she happily bounced over to the cooler and mumbled to herself as she went through the cooler, "Let's see, there's peach, Zap Apple, cherry, regular apple, the purple stuff. oh wait, I like the purple stuff!", she snatched the box and happily popped in a straw.

The red mare got up from her towel and after shaking the sand from her body, made her way over to the griffon, "Thanks Razor, I think she needed that. I have a feeling when she's in flight camp next year, I'm sure she'll never shut up about the time she nearly beat Razor the Griffon."

Razor stretched his wings, "Eh, she's good. Still think she needs a few more years on her before she becomes a real challange."

Razor chuckled, "So long as she lets everypony at that camp know I won in the end, and of my sheer speed and awsomeness I don't mind her bragging."

Razor looked over at Wind and rubbed his chin, "I'm hesitant though to challange her to Stoop Ball. She is good at flying, but I worry about her control during a dive. I don't want to be responsible for her getting hurt."

Razor thought it over and gave a shrug. He would give her time to rest, and if she forgot about it then he wouldn't push it. If she insisted however, well he was good at the game and could catch her if things went....bad.

"Eh, what comes comes. Oh and to answer the question," Razor said, "yes. The falls behind, gets left behind quote was from old griffon days. Back then if a griffon wasn't strong enough they would get left behind or left for dead. Our home isn't as lush and filled with life as your homeland is, but that was then. It doesn't happen as much now."

Razor spotted a small crab scurrying across the sand and he pounced on it immediatly. All that flying worked up a bit of a snack need, so he popped the crab up in his claws and chowed down on the small crustacean. Once he was done, he licked his beak and flew over to his spot to grab something else to eat and drink.

[colour=green]"That was quite impressive."[/colour] said the Swift Squall, suddenly making three other ponies jump in surprise. It was always like this with him. Either he was making a window-breaking, attention demanding 'Dynamic Entry' of some sort, or sneaking behind like a ghost.

[colour=green]"Wonderbolt or the racer? Keep mind that the latter gets paid better."[/colour] unicorn addressed the question to Wind before focusing his attention on Fire.

[colour=green]"Sorry that I run away like that without a word. I got you this...hope you don't mad."[/colour] said swordstallion pulling the things that he held with his telekinesis closer, so she could see. A huge jar of roasted cashews, bottle of cinder, and....mare straw hat? Swift bit his lip struggling with his thoughts, before deciding that some honesty would be best course in conversation. [colour=green]"I just...not used for somepony being some nice when touching me. Usually I am punched or kicked. Guess I don't know what to do when others hug me....yet."[/colour] he explained. After that Squall sat down, evading eye contact for a while before turning his head at her once more.

[colour=green]"Ummm...could I ask you something, Fire?"[/colour] he spoke in timid voice, so unusual for himself.