Skylanders

Has anyone else ever heard of this franchise or play it?

For those of you who don't know, Skylanders is the spiritual successor to Spyro the Dragon, and features Spyro as one of the playable characters. Skylanders is essentially a simplified isometric dungeon-crawler (Diablo, Torchlight, etc) aimed at a younger audience, but has a moderate following of older gamers as well. The unique draw of the franchise comes in the form of collecting the figurines of all the various playable Skylanders. Each figurine can be summoned into the game by placing it on the "Portal of Power", a peripheral that comes with the starter kit that connects to your console. While you are playing, your character data is saved onto the figurine, and can be used in any other game on any other console. It's essentially a marketing gimmick but it's interesting none-the-less.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone here plays. I grew up loving Spyro the Dragon, and find the Skylanders series to be very enjoyable, especially after a long day at work when I just need a little bit of downtime gaming.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yup, I have the first and second games. I have every character except the few new ones that aren't released. The game at my level is kind of an enjoyable disease. It's definitely expensive to collect, but its every bit as fun to me. And I can never grow out of 'childish' games, as long as they are well made and have depth. I love grinding the characters, too. My ultimate goal is to have have all unique figures, besides the in-game variants, and get them to max level, max treasure, and max heroics. It takes forever, lol.

So, if you have any questions about the game, and I mean anything, chances are, I'm geeked out enough to know the answer.

Looks like fun! I dunno if I could get into it with the whole figure collecting thing, but I did enjoy the original Spyro games on the PS!

The first game's starter pack has gone 'down' in price to $60. It includes everything required to play the game, which is the game disc, the portal, and three characters, one of them is Spyro. You can collect characters, and get the characters you like most. But you can complete the entire game with one character, if you want. The game does not require you to buy all the characters.

Here's a look at the difference in appearance from the original Spyro to the Skylanders Spyro.

Spyro.gif

Skylanders-Spyro-spyro-the-dragon-29265554-681-698.jpg

When i worked at Gamestop over the summer, i was shocked to see how popular it was.... i though people would turn it down because of the high investment costs to play it... but yeah, it seems kinda interesting... I bet a pokemon version of that would sell oodles of copies though. They've proven that people will buy toys in order to unlock new content in games, so if you add a popular and recognizable characters to it instead i would probably end up buying a cou-

http://youtu.be/96U2gkgK0o4

...ple dozen figures... Well ****, there goes my wallet x-x

When i worked at Gamestop over the summer, i was shocked to see how popular it was.... i though people would turn it down because of the high investment costs to play it... but yeah, it seems kinda interesting... I bet a pokemon version of that would sell oodles of copies though. They've proven that people will buy toys in order to unlock new content in games, so if you add a popular and recognizable characters to it instead i would probably end up buying a cou-

http://youtu.be/96U2gkgK0o4

...ple dozen figures... Well ****, there goes my wallet x-x

ive seen infinity before. tbh, i liked the Skylanders idea more, because the characters were created specifically for the game. I'm not a fan of Disney regurgitation. Which is something DIsney and Nintendo seem to have in common,

ive seen infinity before. tbh, i liked the Skylanders idea more, because the characters were created specifically for the game. I'm not a fan of Disney regurgitation. Which is something DIsney and Nintendo seem to have in common,

I dotn mind it as long as it's put to good use... Super Smash bros is amazing... But having...

New Super Mario*

Bros

Bros 2

Bros Wii

Bros Wii u

Bros 2 DLC

3D land

Mario Party 1-9

Mario tennis

Mario Soccer

And god only know what else... That get's a weeeee bit annoying...

Or how Disney releases straight to DVD sequels... but this game seems to be kinda interesting, since you can make your own world, and each character opens up an entirely new world, rather than just a character that is similar to other characters...

• 3 weeks later...