On Cloud Nine

Here they were, at the Grand Galloping Gala! Honeywing still couldn't believe he'd actually won the raffle at the Embassy, or that the prize this year was a pair of tickets instead of just one! He was in an absolutely FABULOUS outfit, thanks to his date, and he was currently sitting on a cloud he'd pulled from behind the mountain earlier in the evening, smiling at Glitzen Glamour and blushing faintly.

"Oh Honey, this is simply amazing, never in all my days did I think I'd make it to the Gala, this is like a dream come true, and best of all I'm here with you!" said Glitzen Glamour, Ponyville's foremost fashionista; next to Rarity of course; he was wearing a lovely light blue dress that flowed lightly in the cool night breeze as she sat with his dear friend, "Thank you so much for bringing me darling, I never would have gotten here if it weren't for you~" he said giving Honeywing a small nuzzle.

Honeywing smiled and returned the nuzzle as he looked out over the garden. "Of course! I wouldn't have had come without you, dear." He replied, grinning bashfully. "It's really lovely here, and I've never seen the moon so bright and full! Or even been in the royal garden!" He added, an excited tone to his voice as he shot a nervous look over to the Embassy nearby.

There hadn't been much to do, but the night was still young, and just sitting here with Glitzen was enough to keep the grin on his face.

"It's all so magical! Like something out of a fairy tale~" Glitzen said with a dreamy sigh as he gazed up at the moon as the fireworks lit up the night sky, "Ahh, the scent of the roses in the garden smells so delightful! This is going to be a great night, if not the best night ever~" he stated as he leaned his head on Honeywing's shoulder.

"Yeah..." Honeywing sighed as he laid his head on Glitzen's. The cloud was totally worth it. Best hour he'd ever spent working with the weather, bar none. He stretched a wing out and draped it over GG, suddenly conscious of the cool evening air. "This is shaping up to be a good first date if I do say so myself, GG. The night looks promising, don't you think?"

Suddenly, Sunset zooms past, flying over their heads. Little dust motes caught fire above them, making a fabulous display of little sparkles. He turned, bemused. "What in the hay would ponies be doing out here?" he asked. He took a second look at them, and a look of enlightenment spread across his face. "Oh. Okay, well, I'll just be, ah, leaving... Sunset hurries away, blushing at interrupting someponys date.

Glitzen smiled as Honeywing draped his wing over him, "Oh yes, it looks like it can only get bett" he started to say but was cut short as a yellow pegasus shot past over head and caused little sparks in the air, "Oh my! That was interesting..." he said as he watched the trailblazer scurry off, "But yes dear, I think this night can only get better~"

Honeywing blinked as the new pegasus showed up, apologized, and left, turning a darker shade of pink from the embarrassed blush creeping over his form.

However, rather than let his embarrassment ruin the evening as usual, the pegasus just swallowed past the lump in his throat and nuzzled into Glitzen again. "Youth...I think...But yes, it's a nice night, and the sights are gorgeous." He said, looking pointedly at GG with a coy grin.

Gliten nuzzled back happily; blushing at Honeywing's comment, "Oooh, you're so sweet you silly thing you~" he said with a smile while gazing back at Honeywing, "I rather enjoy the view myself." Glitzen said as he placed a little kiss on his friend's cheek, "I hope everyone else here is having as wonderful a night as I'm having right now."

The pale-pelted pegasus sighed softly and returned to nuzzling with Glitzen contently. He felt amazing, even though he was only a few feet off the ground, and not flying at all. And all thanks to the pegasus beside him.

"Not that I'd be unhappy if the whole night went like this, but what do you want to do later? There's a lot to see, and I still only showed you a little bit of the inn and the way here of the city." he asked with a soft smile on his lips. He wanted this night to be more than good for Glitzen. He wanted it to be perfect.

Glitzen's heart felt lighter than the cloud he was resting on with his coltfriend, "Whatever you'd like to do Honeywing dear, as long as I'm doing it with you, I'll be happy." he said with a smile as the two nuzzled; the night was just starting and it was already more than GG could have ever asked for, and there was so much to do at the Gala, he wasn't sure where to begin and wondered if Honeywing would know where to begin.

"Well, there's the Wonderbolt performance, if you want to see that, and the ballroom, and the buffet." Honeywing said offhandedly, his focus on Glitzen rather than the events. He kissed the stallion's ears and sighed contently. He wasn't entirely sure when anything started, as he hadn't paid attention to the signs on the way in, or the billets. But he was confident they'd know. Besides, the firework display was impressive, and they could see that from where they were.

"Ooooh!~ The ballroom, that sounds simply divine Honey!" Glitzen said with a twinkle in his eye, he always enjoyed dancing, though he never had many chances aside from the occasional school dance back when he went or family gathering, other than that not much, "And the Wonderbolt's performance is ALWAYS spectacular, I watched them now and then when the visited Cloudsdale; but of course your opinion matters too, what do YOU want to do sweetheart?" GG asked looking back to Honeywing after gazing up at the stars and the moon, the heavenly bodies seemed so close you could reach out and touch them this night, truly magical.

"Mmmm. Should probably figure out when the show is, then. I don't usually catch their shows, actually, since I normally spend the summers in Cloudsdale anyway and the Acadamy is a GREAT place to watch them practice the moves with it overlooking the training grounds a bit. This'll be a nice change of pace, since I didn't get to watch that this year." Honeywing replied, though he was still much more focused on Glitzen than the Thundercolts. Er, Wonderbolts. He nuzzled into the other stallion and kissed his ears. "I just want this night to be as amazing for you as it's turning out for me."

Glitzen giggled as Honeywing kissed his ears, "Heheh, darling I'm having a wonderful time, and as long as you're near, the night can only get better!" he said smiling at Honeywing; the night was wonderful, no worrying about deadlines, no wondering if the customers were satisfied, no running around hither and yon to get JUST the right fabric for the garment, none of that, just him and Honeywing, the world could be crashing down around them and he wouldn't know.

Honeywing smiled at Glitzen's statement, then looked up at the sky. "I think the show is starting, the fireworks are over. If you want to go catch it, now would be a good time. Or we could move the cloud up a bit and watch from here." He said, nuzzling into the other pegasus a bit more. The night was clear and cool, just like he liked, and the cloud was stable as it always was under the supervision of a pegasus. In short, it was a wonderful night to cuddle up with somepony, and he was a little reluctant to leave.

Glitzen looked up to the sky as the last of the fireworks faded into the night, leaving nothing but a wispy cloud of smoke behind in its wake; he smiled over at Honeywing at the mention of moving the cloud, "Oh that sounds divine my dear! The show from here will be ever so more wonderful than with the large crowd, you know?" he said nuzzling his colt friend once again; sure the site of the show wouldn't be perfect from where they were, but the night was cool and calm, and the show wasn't what was important to the stallion, it was making sure his friend was having as wonderful an evening as he was having; and so far it looked like he was succeeding.

The pale-pelted pegasus carefully extracted himself from Glitzen and, after a quick peck on the snout, pirouetted off the cloud. He spread his wings almost immediately to catch himself, then flapped them to regain height and position himself under the cloud.

After that, he started nudging the nimbus, carrying his coltfriend with it to a higher altitude. Once he was satisfied, he swooped around behind the other stallion and started fine-tuning the actual positioning. "This is...always the tricky part...Gotta get it juuuust right...Or the cloud falls apart. He explained quietly to the fashionista.

• 2 weeks later...

Glitzen smiled and enjoyed the short ride as Honeywing pushed the pillowy cloud higher and higher "I don't know if I'd want to work weather team heheh, their job seems rather difficult if the clouds are so fragile!" he said as he watched the other pegasus finely tune the delicate cloud into position, "You've got such a gentle touch dear~" Glitzen said with a sigh; the cool night air blew through the area, causing his dress to flow in the breeze once more; judging by the time, the show would be starting soon, awaiting Honeywing's return to his side, Glitzen said a silent thank you to the stars above for blessing him with the best night ever.

Honeywing blushed at the comment and wickered with pride "Oh, it's nothing, really. I studied with the weather teams, among other things, for a while before I joined the couriers. Most clouds are really sturdy, it's just the tiny ones that need extra attention, and even then, only when there's something special about them." He said, smiling fondly at Glitzen as he said the last part.

It was in the right spot, he decided, and quickly returned to his place beside the other pegasus, nuzzling into him as the show started. Admittedly, he wasn't paying much attention to it. This was the second time he'd been inside the Palace, and the first time he'd been on a date with Glitzen, so his mind was occupied, to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

Glitzen cuddled up to Honeywing as the show began, though he was hardly watching it fully, "Oh you!~ You're so sweet; if this is a dream, no one ever wake me up" he said kissing his coltfriend once more for his sweet words; as much as it was amazing to him to be in place so grand like Canterlot Castle, he could be in the slums of Manehatten for all he cared, as long as he had Honeywing by his side, he was happy; glancing up now and then at the show, Glitzen couldn't help but wonder what kind of fabric the Wonderbolts used in their outfits, and if it was an organic or synthetic blend, did it breath well? Or did they trade off for more of a streamline design instead of comfort? Perhaps he would be able to find out someday, and maybe they'd let him design new ones someday! Oh and if Spitfire would let him do her hair, his day would be fabulous; but for right now, he pushed those thoughts to the back of his head and focused on the wonderful situation at hoof and wished the night would never end.