This year, the year that apparently we were all to die, but instead begins a new era of life that can shift what happens to mankind. Also, there were a Lot of new released games over several consoles spanning a multitude of genres that hit many general audiences. With all the reward shows naming there bests and everyone with there own general opinion.

What are YOUR top ten games of 2012?

1.) Borderlands 2

2.) The Walking Dead: The Game

3.) Halo 4

4.) Tekken Tag Tournament 2

5.) SSX

6.) Dust: An Elysian Tail

7.) FInal Fantasy XIII-2

8.) Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

9.) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD

10.) Street Fighter x Tekken

Instead of trying to sort out a top 10 list, I'm just going to go by relevant categories.

Best Action-Adventure - Far Cry 3

I've put so much time into this game and have accomplished so very little. There is just so much to do beyond the main story, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Best Indie Game - Dust: An Elysian Tail

Dust was a welcome breath of fresh air amongst dozens upon dozens of mediocre hack and slash titles. Solid on all fronts and a great soundtrack to boot.

Best Multiplayer Game - Borderlands 2

It is very obvious that Borderlands 2 was designed with co-op play in mind, and it pulls it off seamlessly.

Best RPG - Torchlight II

I've nothing really to say about Torchlight II other than it's pure fun, and there is plenty of depth to be found in this game.

Best Shooter - Halo 4

Ironically, I'm giving the nod to Halo 4 not because of its completely average shooting mechanics, but because of its gripping story, polished graphics, and addicting online play.

Dishonorable Mention - Dishonored

Dishonored was an okay game, but it lacked innovation. Unfortunately, at its core it feels like most other games published by Bethesda, and I've grown tired of playing them.

Game of the Year - The Walking Dead: The Game

Never have I cared so much about the fate of a video game character before. Telltale Games has managed to redefine what good storytelling means to me.

Best Action Adventure: Assassin's Creed III

Best Shooter: Far Cry 3

Best RPG: Kingdom Hearts DDD

Best Multiplayer: Borderlands 2/Halo 4

Best Funny Game: Resident Evil 6

Dishonorable Mention: Call of Duty Black Ops II: Good story, bad multiplayer issues.

Game of the Year: Wii Terrorist 2k12

• 3 weeks later...

Alan Wake finally came out for the PC this year, so I thought it deserved an honorable mention. Satisfying, tense, visceral gameplay. Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP traveled to PC too, although I can't say if the experience translates well from the iPad.

Now, on to the real top ten...

10. Far Cry 3: big game hunting, stealth, and exploration all wrapped up into one enjoyable package.

9. Avernum: Escape from the Pit: remake of a 1995 RPG. Like XCOM, but fantasy and with far more personality.

8. FTL: Captures the experience of commanding a space ship, Star Trek style.

7. Natural Selection 2: RTS meets FPS meets jetpacks meets really odd alien gameplay.

6. Dishonored: Quietly encouraging non-lethal solutions in a vibrant world.

5. Spec Ops: The Line: A game that hates its players, for better and for worse.

4. Sleeping Dogs: GTA-style game that finally gets driving oh-so-right, as well as a deep exploration of violence and crime.

3. Guild Wars 2: Finally, an MMO that doesn't suck. Not to mention an extremely dark world with a sugar-coated surface.

2. The Walking Dead: Storytelling at its best. The pinnacle of point-and-click storytelling, and QTEs.

1. Mass Effect 3: An absolutely perfect world with amazing characters that leaves me begging for more.

At first I had TWD as first, but I thought: as a game, as a pure game, is this really the best the industry can do? ME3 is a deeply flawed game: the ending is miserable, the space exploration of the first game is much better, and I wished there were more urban hubs to explore. But aside from that ending, the Mass Effect franchise and TWD are very comparable in quality of characters and plot. When I take away the main plot from each, though... TWD becomes another zombie game, and a clunky one at that. The quality of that game comes from style and an intimate look at the characters. Mass Effect, though, leaves us with a vibrant, beautiful world, rich with ideas and ripe for exploration, and the gameplay alone has kept me and my friends entertained for hours.