I don't know about you...

ethrildragon

But I tend to like alternative art. Like plushies. Oh! Like my real life friend is making this beautiful large quilt featuring the Discord Stainglass window. And I like to make chainmail tapestries featuring cutie marks. http://ethril-dragon.deviantart.com/gallery/27657008#/d5jpga4

I like drawings just fine, both digital and traditional, but sometimes seeing alternative art is a nice change of pace. What do you guys think? Do you like any alternative pony art?

Are you aware that you're attempting to profit from copies you've made of HASBRO's intellectual properties?

I'd strongly suggest you show some support for the creators of our favourite show and sell more creative/original designs.

[colour=#d3d3d3]Anyone that buys unlicensed material should be ashamed of themselves. :([/colour]

Are you aware that you're attempting to profit from copies you've made of HASBRO's intellectual properties?

I'd strongly suggest you show some support for the creators of our favourite show and sell more creative/original designs.

[colour=#d3d3d3]Anyone that buys unlicensed material should be ashamed of themselves. :([/colour]

um...what? Hasbro has never made a chainmail tapestry. And what about all the people that take commissions for drawings or for plushies? I spent months figuring out how to incorporate those cutie marks into the chainmail so that they would look just right.

And by the way, Nowhere in my post does it say I'm "attempting to profit" off of anything.

Also, this topic is about alternative pony art other then drawing. I was wondering what people thought of alternative art and I was using my own alternative art as an example.

You don't have to be rude.

P.S. If I sell my art, I sell it for the material cost so I can make more. I don't make a profit.

Unfortunately the fact of the matter is you're printing copies of HASBRO's designs onto a medium for sale. (although you've not stated anything in your post about selling items, you link to a Deviant art account which offers the sale)

If you were printing images of Mickey Mouse or the famous Black-circular-ears on things to sell, Disney solicitors would be all over them. It's unfortunate that Hasbro doesn't have the legal might to keep effective control over their properties, but, because they're not 'currently' taking action it doesn't mean they won't in future or that using their properties that doesn't advantage themselves is 'okay' to do.

All we ask for at Canterlot.com is to offer respect to the creators of the show by not (directly or indirectly) soliciting the sale of products on our website.

Seriously? I'm not soliciting anything! I'm using it as an example of alternative art! And you have no idea who I sold it to! Just that I sold it. BTW I sold it for five dollars to a friend of mine so I could make another one of another cutie mark so I COULD GET PRACTICE. I was practicing so I could maybe do commission cutie marks of original characters. Isn't that what art is about? Practice?!

Thanks. Just thanks. My frist impression of this forum is ruined. I was just trying to get opinions about art OTHER THEN DRAWING and you have to be a rager. What happened to love and tolerance I hear so much about?

Oh and guess what, Disney can't go after people who make fan art and sell it under a certain amount of money and purposefully say "THIS IS FAN ART." It's the same thing with Hasbro. They won't persecute because they can't. Here in the USA artists have the freedom to create fan art and sell it if they want. As long as they don't claim it as their own.

ONE MORE THING. I happen to personally know several of the voice actors for the show. They all thought my chainmail tapestries were great ideas and told me to even start a kickstarter to sell them. And my friend making the discord quilt? She made the Shining armor and Cadence plushy pair that are featured in the travelling MLP museum, which the museum bought from her.

You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to buying/selling/creating fan art. Next time you want to instantly yell at someone because they're trying to start a simple discussion, maybe you should be nicer about it.

I'm gone.

You don't have to be rude.

Rude? Oh please, he's nothing a harmless little aubergine. ;) (inside joke I don't think you yet understand)

But seriously, it sort of sounds like your using it for profit. (As I explain later)

And Autumn isn't rude, and even if he is, you still have the rest if Canterlot community. The majority of which, is nice, fair, and caring. Save for the few bad seeds that I have yet to meet, or even hear of.

I'm sure you'd still be allowed to post your artwork and stuff, chain mail and all, but, selling it on this site is prohibited.

Also, what I think Autumn is getting at is you linking artwork that you're selling to this site. Posting artwork is ok, selling it, how ever, is not ok.

P.S. If I sell my art, I sell it for the material cost so I can make more. I don't make a profit.

Well, on your DA it says something about paying at least 25% of the full cost for the materials.

What excactly is the other 75% for? Perhaps profit?

I, personally, don't understand this and maybe this is what Autumn was talking about.

Unfortunately the fact of the matter is you're printing copies of HASBRO's designs onto a medium for sale. (although you've not stated anything in your post about selling items, you link to a Deviant art account which offers the sale)

And this is where the problem lies.

All we ask for at Canterlot.com is to offer respect to the creators of the show by not (directly or indirectly) soliciting the sale of products on our website.

Also where the problem lies, just pretty much restated.

I would go on, but I feel like I would start repeating myself.

So, if you would be do kind as to explain these few things for us, it would be greatly appreciated.

As for you leaving so soon, I can't stop you. But you have to understand, this is Autumn's site. So umm...Play by his rules or just go. Not much to it, plus, his rules are pretty standard and simple. Nothing too ridiculous.

And it's not like you're in any trouble or anything. Just no selling or advertising products here.

Seriously? I'm not soliciting anything! I'm using it as an example of alternative art! And you have no idea who I sold it to! Just that I sold it. BTW I sold it for five dollars to a friend of mine so I could make another one of another cutie mark so I COULD GET PRACTICE. I was practicing so I could maybe do commission cutie marks of original characters. Isn't that what art is about? Practice?!

Thanks. Just thanks. My frist impression of this forum is ruined. I was just trying to get opinions about art OTHER THEN DRAWING and you have to be a rager. What happened to love and tolerance I hear so much about?

Oh and guess what, Disney can't go after people who make fan art and sell it under a certain amount of money and purposefully say "THIS IS FAN ART." It's the same thing with Hasbro. They won't persecute because they can't. Here in the USA artists have the freedom to create fan art and sell it if they want. As long as they don't claim it as their own.

ONE MORE THING. I happen to personally know several of the voice actors for the show. They all thought my chainmail tapestries were great ideas and told me to even start a kickstarter to sell them. And my friend making the discord quilt? She made the Shining armor and Cadence plushy pair that are featured in the travelling MLP museum, which the museum bought from her.

You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to buying/selling/creating fan art. Next time you want to instantly yell at someone because they're trying to start a simple discussion, maybe you should be nicer about it.

I'm gone.

I'm sorry you feel we're being rude. Let me address your concerns below, in order;

Your DA page has a link to your page advertising the sale of copies of HASBRO's properties which states:

[colour=#696969]"Currently I am only taking orders for the following: [/colour][colour=#696969]Small Rarity[/colour][colour=#696969], [/colour][colour=#696969]Small Applejack[/colour][colour=#696969], [/colour][colour=#696969]Small Rainbow Dash[/colour][colour=#696969], [/colour][colour=#696969]Small Pinkie Pie[/colour][colour=#696969], [/colour][colour=#696969]Small Fluttershy[/colour][colour=#696969], and [/colour][colour=#696969]Large Twilight Sparkle[/colour][colour=#696969]."[/colour]

It's unfortunate that the "love and tolerance" thing (is that even mentioned in the show or is it just a brony thing?) is used in self-defence only. It's not really a right to do whatever you want without consequence. Where's the line drawn?

Unfortuantely the "freedom" to create and sell fanart is based on the companies who created the properties in the first place.

A recent example: http://www.vg247.com...d-with-lawsuit/

Another item to note is my level of contact and standing with a number of high-profile artists who, one in particular, has recently and specifically asked HASBRO about selling her FanArt.

The response:

[colour=#4C4C4C]"Thanks for sending over the images which were great.[/colour]

[colour=#4C4C4C]If you would like to become Hasbro’s licensee to sell My Little Pony fanart, we charge £10,000 signing fee upfront.[/colour]

[colour=#4C4C4C]On top of this, we charge 15% royalty rate for all products sold"[/colour]

Voice actors are not HASBRO employees. They are contracted in to do a job for them. Lauren Faust herself doesn't even own the rights to MLP in any form. She's merely credited as writer/developer etc. If they like your chain mail things, that's awesome... but they don't directly represent HASBRO or HASBRO legal.

----

It's annoying and people don't like this fact... but I do actually know my stuff. :razz: