Mane vs Machine: Coal Town (Apply in OOC!)

Kirby Krackle

Sweet Scent was almost in a panic. Hopping from hoof to hoof, she only faintly registered Reveille saying something. "[colour=#0000cd]I need a refill.[/colour]" Taking the medigun off of him, her frayed mind began to process the words. "Wha..." Suddenly, he was gone, soaring through the air back to the roof he had just moments prior lie dying on. She almost immediately flew after him, but stopped after seeing him still up and walking. It must be the adrenaline playing tricks on her mind. No way would he have survived this blast, a deliberate firing of a rocket at his own hooves, when the first one almost sent him to the great beyond. It must be an illusion.

She snapped out of her trance and noticed the new, massive pony wielding a similarly large gun to that other, red pony. [colour=#8b4513]"Should I be protecting this?"[/colour] Taking yet another second for Sweet to process what the Heavy was asking, Sweet finally stammered out "Y-yeah! That bomb! Don't let them get it! They're trying to blow... something." She would figure out what later. Right now, there was a battle raging, and things heading her general direction that looked like giant metal ponies with boxing gloves. No, wait, yeah, that's exactly what they are. And they're carrying the bomb. And the Pyro lighting them on fire. And the Pyro getting punched by one of them and probably in need of medical help.

Pointing her Quick Fix at the Heavy for just a moment longer, she started to run towards the fallen Pyro, only to hear a trumpet sound from behind her. The source of the trumpet? None other than Reveille. He had survived that blast! Somehow. Whatever! "[colour=#0000cd]CHARGE![/colour]" Not needing a second prompting, she rocketed forward as fast as her wings would carry her, barely avoiding the giant metal boxers' swings at her. Stopping next to the fallen Pyro, she pointed her Quick Fix at her. "Come on come on come on don't let me be too late don't let me be too laaaate..."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reveille's weapon was loaded, his spirit full of righteous rage, his aim true and his new friends in dire need. This is it. Hero time. After one last deep breath, a rocket was in his hoof, ready to launch and send his enemies to Robot Heaven, except...

You've defeated the wave. Good. But they'll be back! Get to an Upgrade Station before they return!

The Soldier in training looked around in disbelief, seeing five other nonmetal ponies more or less in one piece. What he did not see were signs of movement from either the piles of worthless scrap scattered about the war torn landscape, or from the carrier off in the distance. There was peace. It was allegedly for only a few precious moments, but finally peace! The violent racing in Reveille's chest began to finally slow down, his hooves going limp and his weapon dropping to the floor with a thud. He could have simply collapsed on the spot, enjoying the first drawn out breath he could take in... how long have they been fighting? Nevermind. It was too long anyway. His muscles were on fire and his brow was soaked. It was time to take five and, while he was at it, tell his team to do so as well. He trotted over, wobbling a little, before plopping his flank down on the bomb that was on its way to their mailbox not a moment ago. His hat was off now. Using it to fan himself was a better service at the moment.

"[colour=#0000ff]You heard the lady[/colour]", he said to the lot of them with eyes half closed. "[colour=#0000ff]Break time.[/colour]" The five others with him looked to be just as tired as he, giving each of them a smile and a 'good job on not dying' wave, including the new one, whom he didn't get a good enough look at during the heat of battle. She was a mare, now that he noticed. A big one. And he had no idea for how long he was staring, goofy and blushing.

"[colour=#0000ff]You're really tall.[/colour]"

Fear adrenaline was a heck of a thing. After the Pyro started spazzing out under her now crackling Quick Fix, clearly alive, Sweet Scent used what little energy she had left to fly and regroup with the rest of the team. After gently lowering herself down, her legs immediately started shaking, and she felt sick. Very sick. Adrenaline might be a heck of a thing, but the crash afterwards was something else entirely. She felt like she was going to puke. It took everything she had to not puke, including a few dry heaves and gags. In desperation, she tried to point the Quick Fix on herself, but the darn thing was so unwieldy that it was impossible for her to point it at herself and use it at the same time. At least, right now. Because her mind was all but fried.

So instead she was just going to lie down and take and take a few deep breathes. Her legs, however, had other plans, and simply gave out from under her, sending her to the ground. With a thud, she was on the ground, and not standing, and it felt good. Taking slow, deliberate breathes, she was vaguely aware of her muscles starting to burn. With one last jerk, Sweet finally flopped over onto her side, just in time for her everything to feel like it was on fire. She was now keenly aware of what the mercenaries she had worked with went through before coming to her, and sorely wished that she had someone to go to for that. Literally. She was sore everywhere. In her blinding pain, she also felt a pang of guilt. She should be helping everyone else right now, not just lying in the dirt!

With a groan, she tried to stand up, only to have her body say "Nope. Don't feel like it. You keep lying there." And so she continued to lay there, looking up at the rest of the team. Specifically the newcomer with the massive minigun. Who was mare. "Oh hey, look, another girl," Sweet slurred in a haze of heat and exhaustion. "Welcome to hell. Come here so I can style your hair." Massages could wait. First, hair!

Belle rolled her shoulders, readjusting the yoke holding the gun. [colour=#8b4513]"Okay, that wasn't so bad."[/colour] She slowly makes her way back to the locker room, where she briefly saw some accessories available for sale on her way in. She can't help but notice the stallion with the rather dangerous bazooka-thing staring at her. She gets it a lot when she's out in public - part of the problem with being a workpony. After she selects her items, she slowly makes her way back again to the rest of the group. [colour=#8b4513]"I'm Belle Plaine, by the way."[/colour]

The more he thought about it, the more Reveille felt comfortable with simply sleeping on the megatons supporting his backside. It was cool to the touch, had great lumbar and could probably be a conversation piece once it was defused. Then he thought about the word 'defuse' more. This thing was supposed to kill them, wasn't it? He sighed, mostly from not wanting to get up, but there was a part of him that would miss his new sporting chair. With careful application of forehead, he began pushing his bomb to the only place he could imagine robots not finding it: a nasty pit covered in warning signs he passed once or twice. The cliched pebble test yielded, amazingly, no sound. But science says it can't possibly be bottomless. Still, it was the best option for disposal. Celestia forbid this be on a timer or something. One gentlest of bucks later and down it fell into the black chasm never to be heard from again. Until thirty seconds from now. There was indeed an explosion, though muffled, and a noxious cloud of smoke belched upward from the pit. Otherwise, no damage to the surrounding area.

"[colour=#0000ff]I meant to do that.[/colour]" Liar.

His last loose end was his weapon, which he admitted looked like garbage compared to the stuff bought from whatever psycho-retailer the rest of his team shopped at. Still, it served him well and he was glad to have it. Might as well give it some maintenance during however long this downtime lasts. He slung it over his shoulder and trotted back to camp, but not before passing... what was her name again?

"[colour=#0000ff]Belle Plain, was it?[/colour]" He tipped his hat to the lady. "[colour=#0000ff]My name is Reveille. Trumpeter by trade. Soldier wasn't my first choice. But I think that can be said for the lot of us. How about you?[/colour]"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a few more moments of catching her breath, and a bomb shaking the ground, Sweet Scent finally managed to pick herself up off the ground. Her body still hurt, but it wasn't impossible for her to stand now. What she needed was a proper place to rest, and probably a few gallons of water. As Reveille and Belle Plaine, as the new mare had introduced herself as, began chatting, Sweet slowly began making her way back to base. If there was to be a drop of water anywhere in this forsaken place, it would probably be back in the base. As she passed by the two, she remarked, "If you'll excuse my rudeness, I shall be heading back to the base, should you need me. It might just be me, but I would like a nice glass of water or eight before I risk my life again." She continued her slow walk back to the base. "I would like to get to know whom I'm working with better, so I would ask you come as well. And to sweeten the deal, so to speak, I would like to remind you that I am a spa pony. This isn't exactly a spa, but that doesn't mean I can't still try to do my job," she called over her shoulder back at the other two. "Well, my other job, anyway," she mumbled to herself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It hadn't occurred to Reveille to investigate the Upgrade Station before. He didn't know what to upgrade, for starters. Or how, for that matter. The whole booth actually, despite its pretty neon lights and pleasant jingle playing in the background, was downright intimidating. It seemed like a scam. Just another way for Mane Co. to take the precious bits he just didn't have. Except... how he had bits. Those robots seemed to run on gold and his team, quite literally, made a killing. So why not, he figured, and hopped behind the desk to discover one heck of a work station. He was no gear head but he couldn't count the number of tools he wish he had before he built his bazooka.

The trumpeter dug through blue prints. He bought spare parts. He bought better rounds, which promised better propulsion. He even managed to find a welding helmet, which was already a big improvement, if the singed bits of his mane from last time were any indication. And, while working diligently, he was mindful of the time. At any moment, that announcer would chime in again for round two. Twenty minutes passed and, in his hooves, was a weapon he felt much more confident holding. His bazooka could hold more rounds before a misfire, they could fire quicker and his rounds would travel faster. It still looked like garbage.

Reveille took a deep breath and looked at his team. The bigger mare was getting make-up tips from the little doctor. The two in the masks were... antagonizing each other. They didn't make much sense, but anyway. They were alive, he was alive and for the moment, it was peaceful. So he did what he did best: whipped out his trumpet and played for them. It was the least he could do as thanks. If only one of them knew how to play the piano.

• 1 month later...

Belle smiled and closed her eyes as she listened to the trumpet echo off the sandstone cliffs and valleys surrounding them. She settled onto her haunches to rest for a moment, letting the big hunk of metal balance against the ground to take the weight off her neck. After a few stanzas of relaxation, sirens interrupted the brassy bebop. She was sad for the peace to end, but she knew there was a war to fight.

[colour=#800000]"Up and at 'em folks, we have work to do!"[/colour]