Inkwell

[colour=#e32636]Ponyland was a quite a unique location for Rose to have picked out for the meeting she had planned with her cousin. It wasn't the normal kind of bar Rose frequented, the kind that were normally populated by "cool" ponies her age, ponies who were too hip for any other kind of room. Not this one. The most frequent visitors to the bar were members of the Equestrian military. They showed up every weekend like clockwork, like they could only pick up a refill of life-saving medicine here. She didn't really mind them, since she used to date a pony who she heard had made Sergeant last she heard, but there wasn't a whole lot of common ground she could find with them. Conversations turned awkward when she revealed her ignorance of military drills and tactical maneuvers, or when they steered the conversation to sports and away from her precious books. Still, this bar had a pretty unique atmosphere to it, and that was precisely why Rose had invited her cousin to this bar in particular.

Even after they'd been exchanging letters for several months, maybe even a year, Rose still didn't know how to feel about Staccato. She knew how to feel about her extended family in general: a light touch of contempt and bitterness. They were all snobs who turned aside her mother and cut her off because she dared to have a non-artistic special talent and marry a common roofer. She didn't need any of them, and she could feel the insincerity dripping from every last one of the letters they sent, telling her what to do and giving her unwanted career advice. But Staccato was an exception. Though he still wrote in the painfully formal, stilted way that all the other Trottingham Maestros did, he gave her his unconditional support and loved talking to her about his interests. Whenever she asked him a question about his particular line of work, composing music, he would explain the answer in the most extensive, detailed way possible. It weirded her out a little.

Then he actually made her an offer: help work with him on the musical he's going to make. And in order for them to do that effectively, he said, he was going to go on vacation in Canterlot. For the first time in their entire lives, they would be able to meet each other in the flesh. They would learn what the other looked like. So naturally, Rose wore her best black dress (she had no dresses in any other colour scheme), her fancy shoes, and the headband with lace. That outfit was just about as frilly as she was willing to get, but it also looked pretty sleek and cool too. It fit her well, she thought, and it was just about the best way she could imagine to make a good first impression on him.

Arriving early was another way she could think of to make a good impression, but sadly she ended up arriving too early, over an hour thanks to her misunderstanding the scheduled time. How did Staccato manage to make a six look like a five in his penmanship? Thankfully she brought a huge book of short stories with her to read. Her eyes occasionally moved up from that book to look at the front door whenever it opened, to check and see if someone matching her mental image of Staccato would walk in.[/colour]

Cadence trotted whimsically down the familiar Canterlot boulevard, her hooves tapping out a delicate pace while her wings ruffled in expectation. She hadn't been to Ponyland since she last visited with her husband and met Martini Paradise, but she was pleased to be returning all the same. After all, Martini might be filling in again and the two mares could catch up! It was a happy thought, and she'd get a nice glass of vintage nonetheless.

The princess had her multi-hued mane tugged back in a loose tail, though it was brushed straight, and she wore a simple jacket. After all, even royalty was allowed to dress down on its own time. That, and the patrons of the bar didn't go there to be bowing and walking on eggshells around a princess. They went to relax, and Cadence was going to reinforce that atmosphere.

As she stepped into the dusky light of the establishment, the alicorn blinked for a few moments to allow her eyesight to adjust before looking around. The same mellow music, the same drawl and rowdy laughter of REA ponies. It was Ponyland alright. While she couldn't spot her unicorn bartender friend anywhere, Cadence did spot a familiar face: Rose Madder, whom she hadn't seen since the fudge shop sale. They hadn't really gotten acquainted at the time, but there was no better opportunity than the present right?

"[colour=#dda0dd]So, wine or liquor[/colour]?" the pink mare asked, sliding to a seat next to the other pony. "[colour=#dda0dd]It's always interesting to see what everypony picks. Judging by your book there, however, I'm guessing wine[/colour]!"

[colour=#e32636]Even before she realized that it was Princess Cadence sitting down next to her, Rose flinched, her heart leaping up to her throat. Seconds passed before she realized that there was nothing to be afraid of. Her open book got a brief glare from her for tensing her up that badly. Stupid scary stories and their atmospheres of dread, putting her off-balance and making her jumpy.[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]"Hey, Cadence," she said, smiling a bit. "I... yeah, tonight's a wine night for me. There's a time and place for liquor but I thought I'd be better off with a clearer head tonight." She reached for the bottle to take a swig, before she remembered that she technically hadn't even ordered any wine yet. "Just a little something to take the edge off."[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]Looking into Cadence's eyes some more, she couldn't decide on whether or not her presence was a good thing. She had originally planned on meeting Staccato one on one, no friends or acquaintances getting in the way of their conversation. But now her carefully concealed nerves were starting to show, and Rose decided that she could use some support, somepony to help share in the attention, and who better to do that than a famous princess? Staccato would doubtlessly have just as many questions for her as he did Rose.[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]"Okay, try and keep this on the down low, but I'm really nervous. You know my cousin, the one I said was working on an opera and a musical at the fudge shop?" It was perfectly possible that Cadence had not heard her say that since she was talking to Duke Polaris, but that didn't matter. "Well, he wants my help writing it and he's coming here to meet me. I've never actually met him in person! We've just exchanged letters, and this is gonna sound silly, but I'm worried about what he'll be like. He seems... intense." No pony who wrote lengthy dissertations on the origins of modern jazz should use so many exclamation points in his letters.[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]Just then, the door opened, and Rose looked up, the process of checking a pony coming in having become a reflex at this point. The stallion who walked in was a far cry from all the others. He was, in a word, gorgeous. Pretty, immaculate, and handsome, in a few more. He wore a perfectly-tailored suit in an earthy shade somewhere between green and brown, had his striped hair brushed and layered, and what little specks of dirt there were on his coat lay on his hooves, which he was brushing off with his magic. This was a stallion of class, completely overdressed for the Ponyland bar or anywhere that wasn't the Grand Galloping Gala. He was so pretty she was surprised the mares in the bar weren't flocking to him like pigeons. Somehow all that was enough to tell her that her cousin had arrived, and that was before she saw the violin case at his side.[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]"It's him!" she whispered to Cadence, looking over in his direction. "Would you mind staying with me and helping me talk to him?"[/colour]

[colour=#954535]Staccato di Maestro had not noticed his cousin as she did for him, instead looking around and taking in the atmosphere. In stark contrast to how a society pony would typically act, he seemed to enjoy it, and he made a beeline for the bartender. "Please excuse me, madame," he said in a pleasant, cheerful voice. "I'm afraid I'm new to this establishment, and as such I'm unfamiliar with your inventory. Might you have any absinthe available?" He looked around at all the other ponies in the bar. "And do you perhaps know where miss Rose Madder is sitt...ing..." His eyes fell on Cadence, recognizing the famous princess almost immediately. "Well now, this is a pleasant surprise!"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

Cadence smiled innocently at Rose's reaction, tilting her head to steal a glance at the volume's title before returning her attention back to her friend. When she saw the other pony reach for a wine bottle that wasn't even there, her smile wavered only slightly as she used her magic to retrieve a rather popular blend from behind the bar. Before anything could be said, a nice pile of golden bits was left in its place while she poured a glass both for herself and Madder.

The princess could tell something was weighing on her companion's mind, but she opted to stay silent and sip at her glass while waiting for the revelation to come of its own accord. It didn't take long, for which the mare was grateful. Awkward silences were always... well, awkward. She did in fact remember Rose mentioning something about an opera on that day back in the fudge shop, and the full scope of the situation was rather interesting. Her cousin, and he'd asked for Miss Madder's help? Sounded like quite an honor to Cadence.

"[colour=#dda0dd]Well, some ponies are really passionate about their work. I've met a lot of artists like that[/colour]," the alicorn mentioned in an airy manner, hoping to draw some tension away from the atmosphere with her off-hoof attitude about it. "[colour=#dda0dd]In fact I'd say that's what lets them produce such amazing things. Art wouldn't be nearly as fun if it was completely boring, right? I[/colour]-"

Cadence stopped speaking as she heard the main door open and saw Rose react. That could only mean one thing. She swiveled her head and sure enough, there was a very artistic-looking stallion standing in the doorway dusting himself off. If anything, he looked like he belonged on display himself. When he caught sight of the two mares at their seats and made his way over, the royal pony inclined her head at his exclamation.

"[colour=#dda0dd]I assume you're Rose's cousin. It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm Princess Cadence[/colour]," she said in an amicable tone while forgoing the normal process of royalty being introduced by others. It was a tradition she disliked in relaxed settings. "[colour=#dda0dd]Please, have a seat with us. Do you enjoy wine[/colour]?"

As she spoke, Cadence levitated a third glass over and hovered it invitingly in the air before Staccato before winking subtly to Rose Madder. Of course she'd stay if her presence helped ease her friend's apprehension.

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#e32636]Rose sighed and started tucking her copy of History's Greatest Horror Stories into her saddlebags. From what she'd seen of the tome's contents, the title was a bit of an exaggeration, but she didn't expect anything less from an anthology. Despite that, it was worth the price, and she'd have to get back to it once this meeting was over.[/colour]

[colour=#954535]"Of course, of course, your highness!" Staccato replied, smiling at the princess with perfect, white teeth. Deep down in his chest he felt a deep sense of excitement. This was turning out to be a much better day than he could ever have dreamed! He had never met a member of the royal family in his life, and oh, what doors this could open for his new enterprise! Word from Cadence's mouth would propel him to the heights of stardom just as soon as he had a musical to promote. Yes, that was the rub, wasn't it? "Who doesn't know your name? I am Staccato di Maestro, of Trottingham." He bowed his head, making the gesture as opulent as he could without falling off of his stool.

His eyes passed from Cadence to the red unicorn in black. The smile on his face relaxed, moving from the constraint of excitement at meeting a social superior to the warmth of familiarity and closeness. There was only one pony she could be. "Rose, darling, you look stunning," he told her.[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]Her ears folded back. She felt her heart floating in her chest. Did Staccato realize that he was talking to her in words best reserved for a flirtatious young couple? Oh, what a disaster this could turn out to be. She decided to defuse it immediately, giving Staccato a smile in return. "Heheheh, you might want to turn down the charm just a little, Stacky. Ponies could get the wrong idea."[/colour]

[colour=#954535]The implications of what Rose said struck Staccato like a kick to the face. "Oh! I beg your pardon, Rose, you're completely right!" So embarrassed was he that he barely even noticed the tacky little nickname Rose gave him. "Though I refuse to take the compliment back entirely. Your dress is lovely, and I must learn where you got it one of these days."

But that could wait until later. The princess had invited him over to their table, and even offered wine to drink. "Well, your highness, it's not my preferred drink of choice, but I trust you to pick out a delectable vintage regardless of my own tastes. And I'd gladly accept your offer, though I was looking forward to making conversation with a Canterlot barten-" Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed an absence. With a turn of his head, Staccato discovered that the bartender had left his position since he struck up a conversation. "-der. Well, this seems highly irregular."[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]"Yeah, now's about time for the end of her shift," Rose explained. "But don't worry, the new bartender should be coming around right about... now." She looked around the bar, her brow furrowing as it became clear that she wasn't finding who she was looking for. "Okay, now that's irregular. She ought to be here by oh wait there she is." Rose turned to face the back door, which opened to reveal the new bartender for the night.[/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

((OOC- Sorry it took me a while, wanted to post earlier, but work was brutal and I had to postpone stuff for a little while))

Martini Paradise stood in the back area of Ponyland, her horn glowing as she counted the various bottles that had just been delivered by the regular pegasus crew. She didn’t care for leaving the bar, especially since the poor mare working up there was scheduled to go home now, but she had to make sure every bottle was accounted for. The evening was just beginning and with it the busiest time of the day, when all the local guards and REA members came in to wind down once their duty shifts were over. As the pink barmare floated the last bottle into its place, she turned to the winged duo and smiled, [colour=#cc6699]“looks like everything is in order, thanks again, fillies!” [/colour]

Now that the mundane tasks of inventory were taken care of, Martini could get back to what she loved best - bartending and schmoozing it up with the customers. The pink unicorn trotted up to the mare who had been attending the bar in her absence, a younger white unicorn with a blonde mane.[colour=#cc6699] "thanks for staying after, hon, I didn't expect the delivery to come so late today. Have a good night and all!"[/colour]

The other mare smiled and started to trot out from behind the bar before she stopped, suddenly remembering something. [colour=#daa520]“Oh! There is a brown unicorn stallion with a dark gray and white striped mane - he wanted something with absinthe! 'Kay, Thanks! Bye!”[/colour]

Martini nodded, reaching out with her magic for the ingredients, floating them around her in a slowly circling orbit. Absinthe's preparation ritual was flashy, but very calm and soothing; an interesting mix - suitable for the drink. A spoonfull of sugar, a shotglass of absinthe - she dipped the sugar into the tipped glass, letting it soak up the green devil, while an ornate glass and a spoon full of tiny holes the shape of horseshoes settled onto the bar before her. She drew the teaspoon of sugar out of the shot glass, the green, soaked sugar still in it, and a spark from her horn lit the spoon into a bright flame. She floated it there in the air, letting it burn away, the alcohol-soaked sugar carmelizing on the spoon, as she dumped the remainder of the shot glass into the larger, more decorative one, and followed it up with a slow, easy pour from the absinthe bottle, a little over a horn's worth. The bottle settled back into place on the shelf, without her normally flashy thump - absinthe was poured, and sipped, slowly. A sugarcube settled onto the slotted spoon over the glass, and as she blew the burning spoon out, ice cold water dribbled from another bottle over the sugarcube, slowly melting it into the green, till the mixture had more than doubled. Then the spoon, covered in a faintly greenish-brown carmelized sugar, dipped into the glass to stir the mixture, sending that one more extra smokey flavour into the drink.

Now to find that stallion… Martini looked about the large room; fortunately there were still only a few ponies about, so it didn’t take but a few seconds to spot the thin stallion. What Martini didn’t anticipate was the company he was keeping, a pretty rose coloured unicorn mare and none other than Princess Cadance herself. Martini had met the Princess once before, in this very bar, along with her husband, Shining Armor, and was instantly taken by how personable and social the pink alicorn was. Well she managed to hit it off with the beautiful princess once, surely she can do it again, and with luck Cadance would remember her.

Martini trotted happily up to the sitting trio, floating the absinthe drink before her, [colour=#cc6699]“here you go sir, one smooth absinthe drink for you!”[/colour] She sat the green concoction on the table before the stallion and turned to his lovely companions and gave a warm smile, [colour=#cc6699]“my name is Martini Paradise and I’ll be serving you tonight, would you two lovely mares like anything to drink?”[/colour]

Cadence allowed herself a rather big grin at Rose's cousin's reaction, as no matter how many times she saw the surprise on new acquaintances' faces it was always unique to the particular pony. She hadn't really expected the stallion to decline, but the grace with which he'd accepted was still rather comforting. Her smile widened with the attention he gave to his cousin, to the point that Rose mentioned it and caused a small moment of embarrassment between the two.

"Oh, my apologies for assuming!" the princess said with a small laugh as she lowered the proffered glass. "I had always thought cousins shared palates. Perhaps it was siblings. Nieces and aunts? I'm not really sure..."

At that moment, a particular friend from Cadence's previous visit to Ponyland chose to make her presence known, levitating an impressively-mixed drink as usual.

"Martini!" the alicorn greeted warmly, returning the barsmare's smile. "I was hoping you'd be working again. They run short on staff rather conveniently, don't they?"

She put a gilded hoof to her chin for a moment in thought. Martini Paradise was a rather skilled mistress of the casks, but Cadence always seemed to be having wine. And that flaming drink from last time had been so much fun!

"Actually, why don't you surprise me for my drink?" the pony asked before turning to Staccato. "So Rose tells me you're in music. Do you have any particular inspirations for your art?"

• 3 weeks later...

[colour=#e32636]Rose turned and smiled at Martini as Staccato gave his drink a curious glance. "Well, I think I'd like a white wine spritzer, myself. Nothing too heavy on the liquor. I want to be able to walk and talk when I get out of here." She smirked and looked at her companions. Experience had taught her that while it was fun to get soused up once in a while, it could be far more entertaining to see other ponies drunk with a sober eye. Granted, it could turn into an annoying disaster, but she had to admit, she was curious to see what would happen if Staccato had one too many glasses of his precious absinthe.[/colour]

[colour=#954535]"Mmm, sensational!" Staccato said, setting his drink down with a missing tablespoon of liquor. "I wasn't expecting alcohol of this caliber from this particular establishment at all! Tell me, have you ever served at a formal, high society event before?"[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]Rose's face lit up. "Yeah, she has! We saw each other at the Grand Galloping Gala that one time, didn't we?" Her memories of the event weren't clear, but she definitely saw Martini tending bar at the event. Truly this was a small world.

Before Staccato could ask Martini any more questions about that job, Cadence piped up with a dreadful question. Rose hadn't realized how much she was dreading it until it came up. The princess had gotten him started and he wouldn't stop without Rose's help. "Here we go..."[/colour]

[colour=#954535]"Ah, your highness, of course I have inspirations!" Staccato said, looking livelier than ever now that the conversation had turned in his favour. "Creativity does not merely spring fully formed from the brow, after all. It comes from intimate knowledge of the media form you choose to work in, and the artists that came before. Even if you mean to innovate and differentiate yourself from prior artists, it helps to have intimate knowledge of the rules you intend to break." His eye turned to the stony expression on Rose's face, causing him to give Cadence a nervous chuckle. "Now, I could go on about my inspirations, but I think perhaps some summarizing is in order.

"Now, classical music was the very first genre I was introduced to. I was enjoying classical compositions since before my very first memory, thanks to my family's preferred method of raising young foals. I admit that I've lost touch with the genre somewhat on account of discovering every other genre in my adolescence, but I do come back to it from time to time. I am a violinist, after all. But my favorite classical composer of all is the great Maestro."[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]"Is that family bias speaking?" Rose asked.[/colour]

[colour=#954535]Staccato coughed. "Rose is referring to the fact that our family, a long and illustrious line of artists and artisans, sprung from Maestro's loins centuries ago. I admit, it is impossible to separate my fondness for his musical compositions from my gratitude to him for the dynasty he founded, but the fact remains that his compositions remain ubiquitous to this day. They are works of beauty, and he was only an adolescent himself when he created them! He sadly passed away before he reached my current age, barely managing to marry and produce children before his untimely death.

"But moving on to more contemporary musicians, the main inspiration I draw upon for lyrical dexterity is Robert Featherstone. Now, Aquellian and Equestrian musical cultures are distinct entities, but there's a reason that Featherstone was at the forefront of the first 'griffon invasion.' Not only were his lyrics case studies in careful word choice and economy, they had a galvanizing quality that made him a favorite figurehead of counterculture movements of the time." He abruptly shifted into a loud, sonorous singing voice. "Come gather 'round, people, wherever you roam, and admit that the waters around you have grown~"[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]Rose put her hoof to Staccato's shoulder. "Yeah yeah yeah, we all know the song, Stacky."[/colour]

[colour=#954535]He folded his ears back and smiled. "My apologies, Rose."[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]"I never really liked Featherstone's voice," Rose said with a shrug. "It's really too raspy, but I kinda feel bad saying it. It can't be too easy, singing with a beak."[/colour]

[colour=#954535]"Admittedly, his voice is an acquired taste. Luckily, he is perhaps the most covered musician in all of history, so you have plenty of alternative singing voices to choose from. As I was saying, though his most influential and best work is fifty years old, he still continues to make the occasional, excellent LP today. I highly recommend his ouvre.

"But Featherstone's down-to-earth, socially conscious music is only one flavour of song. As the current mainstream market suggests, there is a huge amount of appreciation for spectacle and exuberance. I'm sure you've at least heard of the lavishly ludicrous performances of Neon Pop; though I think she indulges in pretension a touch too often, she is a talented musician who occasionally nails the visual accompaniments to her music perfectly. But I digress, and I recommend Stardust Soul as the gold standard for this particular variety of music"[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]Rose smiled. "He's one of the only musicians I can talk about with Stacky and have it not feel like a one-sided conversation."[/colour]

[colour=#954535]Staccato nodded, using a foreleg to pull Rose into a comfortable, side-to-side embrace. It made her stare at him, but soon her smile returned, slightly shakier. "Stardust Soul has used science fiction motifs in his music to great effect, which is what drew Rose to his music in the first place. I admire him for his theatricality, for the frequency and ease with which he reinvents his musical and stage persona. He embodies a versatility that I hope to someday achieve in my own career."[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]"You just wanna play dress-up, don't you?" Rose said in the most facetious tone of voice she could manage.[/colour]

[colour=#954535]Staccato had chosen that time to take another sip of absinthe, and her remark made him choke on his drink, spurting drops up his nose. He swallowed and took a few seconds to clear his throat. He gave Rose a level glare, then broke out into a grin. "That isn't the whole of it, Rose, but yes, I surely wouldn't mind performing in costume."[/colour]

[colour=#e32636]"Are you finished?"[/colour]

[colour=#954535]"Not quite. I have one more I must mention. In the last decade, no artist has impressed me more than Peppermint Whorl, of The Peppermints. The Peppermints are naturally the most famous band Whorl's been attached to, being at the forefront of an impressive blues-rock revival that sadly never entered the public consciousness outside the music world. But his other bands, The Troubadours and The Cloudkillers, are also amazing and underrated, and of course he may well have topped himself with his first solo album last year."

Staccato paused, then matched his cousin's stare. "Now I'm finished."[/colour]

(The musicians Staccato named are ponified versions of Mozart, Bob Dylan, Lady Gaga (in a reference to another character on the boards, natch), David Bowie, Jack White, The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather respectively.)