Roleplay Type:

Free-For-All/Crossovers

Sex:

Stallion

Stallion

Species:

Hippocamp

Eye colour:

Sea-green in colour (#43CD80), Kelp Culler has cloud-like forms around the pupil, distorting the colour slightly, and a glossy sheen that protects his eyes.

Coat colour:

Culler has a tan, sandy coat (#EEDC82)

Mane/Tail/Markings colour & Style:

Kelp Culler's mane is long and unkempt, floating about him while under the sea. It is coloured chartreuse (#66F261) and highlighted with a deep sky blue (#00688B).

When visiting the land, it is often flat and sopping wet, sticking closely to his skull, neck, and back. He has chocolate coloured (#8B4513) swirls across his coat, accented at the tips and at various intervals with what look like apostrophes, but more pronounced. One of the swirls extends to his face, and wraps around his left eye. His tail looks like a typical dolphin tail, having a predominant end-fin, and the usual dorsal fin. Aforementioned markings lightly touch his dorsal fin.

Physique:

Well-muscled but also trim from the need to do all of his work himself. He is much larger than the average hippocamp male, and his hooves maintain the shire-like characteristics of excess hair growth from the fetlock down that is seen in some land ponies.

Cutie Mark:

Kelp Culler's cutie mark is a line of wavey kelp being cut with a pair of large gardening shears.

Culler got his cutie mark during his colt years, still living in Okeanos with his parents. He was participating in an after-school gardening club that was having a sort-of topiary contest, though with a large patch of multi-colour seaweed instead of traditional hedges (they are below the sea, after all…). The contest spanned around a week, each participant would visit their gardens once a day to trim their seaweed (the stuff can grow surprisingly fast!) and to plan what they were to do next.

Having very little knowledge for gardening, Kelp Culler did his best to make his garden as beautiful as possible, but despite his best efforts, he came in third place. Though not all was tragedy! After having said his congratulations, his fellow class mate pointed to his fishy flank in surprise, and sure enough, his cutie mark had appeared! From that moment on he studied even harder to become better at gardening.

Residence:

A little ways away from Okeanos, in his own private property. While not especially rich, Kelp Culler built himself a decently sized, two-story house out of coral which had been growing on the spot. With careful planning and trimming, the large lump of coral became his home! It continues to grow, albeit impossibly slow. Culler performs monthly trimmings of his house to ensure it remains orderly.

Along the sides and roof of the house small fish still live in the coral, though not inside the actual house, and sea anemones make their homes on the living coral as well, providing more shelter for certain fish! The entire home as a slightly rounded shape, even towards the top where it narrows considerably.

Around his coral home he has planted sea flora of all kinds - from his so favored kelp that streams upwards towards the light of the surface, to the multi-coloured seaweed ranging from violet, to red, to green, and even blue! This makes the area around his home a bountiful garden of colour.

The inside of his home is lit up by bioluminescent plants, giving of a surprisingly bright light almost all of the time! Kelp Culler's home is made up of a dining room, a sitting room, two bathrooms, one upstairs and one below, and the guest and master bedroom, which are both upstairs.

Landscaper (Both underwater and on land, though mostly underwater). Finding this name dull, Kelp Culler prefers to call himself a horticulturalist. He is often hired to plant gardens and even instruct horticulture classes in Okeanos, and with much excitement, though not often, on the surface. Kelp Culler also Dabbles in stone work, sometimes featuring it in the more expensive gardens he’s contracted to create.

History:

Kelp Culler was born in Okeanos, in an upper-middle-class district. He spent plenty of time outside of his house as a colt, and would often be gone for hours simply swimming around seeing what there was to see. He didn't really know where he fit in, and was eager to find his niche. This brought him through many social groups and activities that he hoped would help him find his place in the big, blue sea.

He grew up with only his father to take care of him, and taking care of a child alone is a difficult thing. Culler's father worked and kept two jobs at any given time, just enough to let him and his son live peacefully. This resulted in not much contact between Kelp Culler and his father, though when there was time for the two, it was time well spent. More often than not his father would take him on small 'adventures' outside the borders of Okeanos, and show him the world that existed past his small house.

Kelp Culler's life today is quite busy, much of his time spent perfecting his craft. But when he can, he does get out to swim about like when he was young, and think about what he's doing. He finds this as a soothing therapy, and he does it as often as possible. But, with all this swimming and working and practicing, he still makes time for friends and a social life!

Character Summary:

Culler knows his faults and strengths quite well, and never over-estimates his own ability, nor under-estimates it, either. He is quite good at what he does, and he's not afraid to let everypony know! His stonemason work is less than brilliant, but still acceptable by his standards. When it comes to his gardens and his looks, he'll take nothing less than perfect! This makes him rather anal with some ponies, which is why he prefers to work solo, rather than with a team, even if it would make his work quicker. Many would call him vain in this aspect.

His motivation in life stems from his fascination with the surface and it's strange fauna; Frequent visits to the black sand beaches of the nearby islands fuel his curiosity and creativity, even if these visits don't last long because of his pelt drying out. A secondary motive in his endeavors is to find a way to allow variations of the land fauna he so loves to thrive in his underwater home.

His many hobbies would include his garden work, personal beauty, exercise, and his dabbling in stonework. His favorites of the list would be his own looks and his gardens. He takes great pride in his creations, and he considers it a great insult to point out something that "shouldn't belong" in his line-up, which encompasses both himself and his gardens.

Despite loving the great distance from other hippocamps created by his private property, Kelp Culler enjoys visiting Okeanos and conversing with others, finding it as more of a pass time than just talking. If there's an open-invite party, he'll be there dancing with whoever is willing. Culler considers himself quite suave, and loves to schmooze both stallions and mares alike.

Edited by Kilojoules
adjusted for format change, can't seem to remove bolding

Um, are hippocamps still acceptable to app in the Mane RP? It looks like a good character otherwise.

I didn't hear or read anything that said otherwise... I sure hope they're allowed! I've got like a hundred scenes playing out in my head....

Hello; I don't have my badge yet, but I am indeed a RPHS member. I got in touch with Rosewind, and she informs me that applications for new hippocamp characters are no longer accepted for Mane RP due to the non-canon nature of that species. However, you can switch your character's Roleplay Type to Crossovers and be able to roleplay as a hippocamp without restriction. Or if you'd prefer, we can have your app archived away and brought back when we introduce a new RP section allowing the use of non-canon species. Finally you could retool your app to depict a character from a canon species, which will allow this OC to be used in Mane RP. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll be able to create a fun and awesome RP character. :)

Hello; I don't have my badge yet, but I am indeed a RPHS member. I got in touch with Rosewind, and she informs me that applications for new hippocamp characters are no longer accepted for Mane RP due to the non-canon nature of that species.....

Aww, what a bummer! :scream:

Could you maybe archive it? :s I'd really like to RP as him later.... And I'm not sure how I could incorporate him into cross-overs. :???:

EDIT: Change of plans; I guess I'll convert him into the crossovers? Considering the storylines of those can change rather rapidly, I'll leave his history and what-not blank, so's to edit it as I need....

Making Kelp Culler into a CO character will be excellent. However, you should still have filled-in History and Summary sections so your fellow RPers know what to expect from your OC. As for edits, RP developments are best posted as replies to this thread instead of being edited into the app itself.

Anywho, be sure to mark this thread as [Ready] when you are ready to have it stamped. Since this will be for Crossovers, approval should hardly take any time at all. ;)

Making Kelp Culler into a CO character will be excellent. However, you should still have filled-in History and Summary sections so your fellow RPers know what to expect from your OC. As for edits, RP developments are best posted as replies to this thread instead of being edited into the app itself.

Anywho, be sure to mark this thread as [Ready] when you are ready to have it stamped. Since this will be for Crossovers, approval should hardly take any time at all. icon_e_wink.gif

Plplpl, okay noted. :P