The Doors Are Always Open (Open; Ponyville)

SteelEagle

OtTO0GZl.jpg

For now, she needed to know more. “I know about you Presteza- your painting of Applejack was rather fetching. I am glad you have decided to open up shop here in Ponyville, but if you don't mind me asking, wouldn't it be easier to operate the business if you lived significantly closer?” The Mayor let her lidded eyes and pregnant pause tell the story. She sat back down across from Presteza, nodding to something only she understood. “Well, we will have plenty of options for you, no doubt. But before I can offer anything I need to know about this business. Pitch it to me, Pressy,” The Mayor said slowly, taking a sip of her somehow still warm coffee with her eyes still locked on.

The young painter grinned as she heard the words of the mayor reach her ears. The mention of her portrait of Applejack had brought out her artistic inclinations as she watched the mayor speaking, casually sipping her coffee. So  official, so composed, so in charge! The freckled unicorn's bright blue eyes went wide and stared at the mayor for a moment before she calmed herself down to speak, "Why thank you, Mayor!" she began with a smile, "You see, I'm currently based in Canterlot and working with a local magic guild there, however I've still been doing a bit of traveling, not as much as I'm used to but still a bit... however while I have learned some neat spells my passion shall always be for the arts... also I get up pretty early so I can make the trip in the morning to get here and I might even have a loft 'r somethin' ta live in some days."

The creamy off-white unicorn then stood up to speak, hoping to give her words more dramatic weight as it were. "Well, Mayor. The workshop I had in mind might be slightly larger than than The Carousel boutique. In It I hope to practice and hone my crafts... because." The painter took out a photograph of herself working on a statue, she couldn't very well bring a statue in the mayor's office so she figured a picture of what she'd done would suffice, "I've been branching out and trying to master all kinds of creative arts. Sculpting, Painting, maybe I could even help rarity with her outfits if she'll teach me... and maybe even Directin'!" The artist's young eyes positively sparkled as she listed off the possibilities.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brawny declined the cup of coffee he was offered, and carefully hitched his cart just outside to where it wouldn't be in anyone's way. However, there was simply no getting around it being something of an eyesore. He apologized more than once to the poor receptionist at the front, who seemed just beside herself at the idea of a dirty cart full of....well of rocks just sitting there in front of town hall. He explained that he had no where else to put it, but promised to try to be quick when he got the chance to see the mayor so that it wouldn't be sitting there for very long.

Once that situation was relieved, he sighed and stood outside the Mayor's office to wait, already hearing excited voices coming from within through the door. He didn't like to sit, it made him feel lazy, so he opted to simply stand there, and dust off his vest a bit, though the rest of his pelt was what actually needed cleaning. He was covered from head to hoof in soot, dust, and pounds of dirt, and wasn't exactly presentable to the eye, especially not for a big town mayor like Mayor Mare. He hoped this wouldn't give a bad impression, but didn't know what else to do, since he couldn't afford a stay somewhere to bathe, and there were no public streams or rivers between here and Bareback Gulch, that he had seen.

Suddenly, a large griffon with a hat was sitting next to him, startling the poor mining pony half to death. After coughing and recomposing himself, he smiled in as friendly a manner as he could, speaking in a low and rough but not unpleasant voice. "Pleased to meetcha, mah name's Brawny Boulder, most folks call me Brawneh back home. You waitin' ta see the Mayor Mare too?" It simply didn't do to not respond in kind to a polite conversationist back home, and he wasn't about to break the rules of his colthood.

mayormarerevectorizedby.png

The Mayor listened to Presteza's plan with a practiced ear for both practicality and passion plays at work. She knew the demands of the Canterlot-Ponyville travel schedule by heart, having taken it for the first three years of her Mayorship over the town. Of course she only took it on the weekends and stayed in town in a rented, Royalty-subsidized loft. The answer was relatively simple if the question was why not make it a daily commute: Cost and commute. It wasn't cheap at all and you could add four to six hours to your work day, and that was if they ran at all. When there was an issue with the track it could take days to fix, making it a risky proposal.

“I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you, but I don't think that schedule is tenable, dear. You'll spend a lot of bits and a great deal of time, burning you on both ends while taking bit by bit from your profit. Then if an emergency pops up- well, that is just a lost day of business if the transportation network fails you,” The Mayor said as she allowed the pause to settle before turning back up, her sip completed, “my idea would be to make that loft a bit more permanent. Spend some extra bits to get a bigger place, make it more homey. Then you can divvy up your days- when you're working here, you're staying here. Only make those trips when you need to change place of employment. Spend four days here, three days there, whatever it is. You'll find t much easier that way,” The Mayor explained as she allowed Presteza to deploy her business plan.

It was solid enough. There were issues about it- the scale was bigger than she could reasonably offer for a part time business. But were others saw the potential for disaster she saw the potential for great success. “Hmm...first off, what a wonderful looking statue. I can't wait to see you bring your unique gifts to this town, Presteza! I am a complete believer in both you and your vision and would be more than willing to grant you your full request...but I am unable to. There are two main problems. The only city property we have available that would fit the size of building you would need is close to the city center, recently vacated. The rent is high but the building is pristine. However, since it cannot be a full time business because of your schedule, I cannot offer it to you. Places that are available to you are closer to the outskirts but considerably less expensive. However, they are also smaller. My advice- statue making and other large projects that require that sort of space can either get a second, smaller space, or you can get storage for them. I think the Apples may have some defunct but safe Silos you could use.”

The older griffon was very happy to hear Brawny Boulder's reply!  Andy always loved making new friends everywhere he travelled!

"I sure do wanna see the Mayor if I can today, Brawneh.  Ya see, I met her a long time ago, back when I was still a Sheriff back home in Talonapolis.  I was chasin' a renegade griffon fer while a long spell.  That desperado was tricky, he tried ta lose me in the mountains and then when he flew low through the Everfree Forest.  But I stayed on his tail, once I'm on the trail of an outlaw, I never give up!  Anyway, he flew off, landing in Ponyville, thinkin' he could jist hide out and blend in with the crowd.  In fact, as I recall, it was the Mayor who first spotted him and alerted me to where he was hidin' out!  Course, once his cover was blown, he made a run for it but I managed to tackle him before he could take off in the air again.  Yes sir, that was one of my toughest chases!  I sure hope Mayor Mare remembers me.  I know it was a long time ago, but I thought since I was passin' through town, I wanted to drop in and say howdy to her!  If ya don't mind me askin, Brawneh, what are you here to see the Mayor about?  Not tryin' ta be nosy, just makin' friendly conversation."

Brawny couldn't help being fascinated by the Griffon's tale, though he was a bit anxious to be around it. He'd never had much to do with anypony besides an Earth Pony, so those with wings or horns tended to set him to anxiety. However, Andy seemed to be polite and gregarious enough, he genuinely just wanted someone to talk to to pass the time, seemingly without any ulterior motive. So, he listened to the exciting story with great interest, not knowing what else to do and finding it rather entertaining to listen to. What better way to pass the time?

Finally, the Griffon turned the spotlight back onto Brawny himself, but it took a second for the stallion to recognize as such. When he did, he was taken aback that the hatted Griffon would even want to know, and had to cough into his hoof to recompose himself.

"Oh! Well uh, nothin' special, I s'pose, I'mma here from Bareback Gulch to talk to Mayor Mare about settin' up some kinda deal to take advantage of the many ores and gems to be found up in the mines and Ponehville's central locashun. Maybe gettin' more tourists out our way or perhaps bringin' in some o' our wealth down here. Either way, I'm not rightly sure why the folks sent me, I'm not much good at talkin' business, just breakin boulders and haulin' wagons really."

OtTO0GZ.jpg

The painter's ears began to fall slightly as the mayor spoke. It certainly wasn't the response she was hoping for but the, Miss Mare was right. In the end her idea was not the most practical, all the trips and things would indeed would indeed be a drain on her resources and the building she had in mind would indeed be a better choice if she was going to make it a permanent business. "Well, Mayor I do intend to permanently set up shop here one day... I'm not done yet with my travels however, but when I am you can bet I'll seeya again!" The mare said with a hopeful smile, "Fer now I'll try yer idea and ask the Apples if they'd mind loaning me one of the obsolete silos... but first I need ta ask you one VERY important Question..."

Pressy brought out her courage and stepped up to the Mayor, bright blue eyes practically glowing with passion. She leaned in and narrowed her eyes at the older mare, "... would ya mind modelin' fer me next time I'm in town?"

Everything would work out for the best in its due time. She wanted to make sure she did well by Presteza as she saw in her the same germ of commitment that had grown in the Mayor a desire to do everything she could with what time she had. Realizing at an early(ish) age what you wanted to do or at the very least pursuing with gusto what lay ahead of you was an admirable trait and it was a trait that she shared with Presteza. More importantly to this moment in time, Presteza had the good sense not to argue with the Mayor about the offer. It was good either way- she knew that. And she also knew that what started small could grow big, but it was much harder to do the reverse. The initial investment would be smaller and the potential return if everything worked out was good. The only difference between this and the optimal was the optimal had her living in Ponyville. Time for that later.

“Good. I'll get the paperwork started. Next time we meet I'll have the contract for the space set up. You'll need to lease the property from the city and pay for a certain amount for supplies but I'm sure you'll have all that covered. As long as the Apples gives you one of their silos I think you'll be beyond fine. Very happy to see you doing business here in Ponyville, Presteza,” the Mayor chriped positively, addled only by a sneaking suspicion that as kind and happy to aid as the Apples were she would have to negotiate some sort of deal with them in order to get a silo. Oh well. Business was what business was. Then she asked about the Mayor modelling for her- well, if any Mayor WAS deserving of such an honor it was the best Mayor in the best town in all of Equestria. Count her in. “That would be wonderful, Pressy. Is there anything else I can do for you? I do believe there are now others waiting,” she responded plaintively, hoping against hope that perhaps the mare would lean back a little.  

jCrcZ1Ml.jpg

"In the words of a certain Apple stallion: eeenope." She said with a smile before backing off and levitating her hat off the rack and back on her head. The mare took up her sketch and rolled it back up and into her saddlebag. Pressy was ecstatic now that the mayor had agreed to pose for her, she could only imagine how much fun the session would be! "Thanks again fer talkin' ta me Mayor! I look forward ta paintin' ya sometime! I promise I'll get yer best side." she said with a playful lilt in her voice before she waved farewell to older mare behind the desk, still looking oh so official, "Have a great day!"

With those last words, Presteza took her leave and exited the Mayor's office. She smiled at the other people and waved to them before heading out the door, "Good luck with woteva yer here for!" she said honestly in a cheerful,peppy voice.

-Exit Pressy-

"Thank ya ma'am, an' have a nice day!" Andy Griffon squawked, waving at the departing Presteza before returning his attention to the stallion seated next to him.

"Workin' on a deal with Ponyville for ore?  Sounds mighty impressive ta me, Brawneh!  We have ore mines in Talonipolis, but most of'm are way back in the mountains.  Griffons can be really good miners, well, those who like mining.  Sure do wish ya luck with your negotiations.  I think you're next, you was here ahead of me.  Besides that, your business is a heap more important than mine.  I'll just stay out here an' have another cup of coffee, maybe find me a good magazine ta look at while I'm waitin' for my turn."

Brawny noticed the unicorn stepping out of the office and kept his head respectfully down while she passed by, too shy to look her in the eye but willing ot at least briefly smile up at her. "G-g'day ma'am!" It was about a full minute after she left that he was finally able to recompose himself, almost hoping Mayor Mare wasn't as good looking or else he'd have a similarly hard time communicating with her. He smiled and nodded to Andy, stepping towards the office doorway. "I shouldn't be long, don'chu worry about it."

Finally, he was here, and strangely his anxiety was mostly gone. He looked up at Mayor Mare and didn't feel as bashful as he normally did around mares, in fact he was completely at home here. Maybe it's cause she resembles Ol' Mare Granite's features with his own mother's confident yet humble stature. He could do this, he told himself, no problem. "G'day your Mayorship! I hope I haven't caught you at a bad time, you like mighty tired and if you'd prefer I could wait and get myself some lodgin's for the night." She really did look tired and he was concerned, but at the same time he quietly hoped she had just enough energy to speak with him, otherwise his parents would get worried and try to come after him.

A stallion entered next. You could smell him before you saw him, no doubt the Mayor's well cultured nose and experiences coming to play there. He was a miner, the smell of the deeper parts of the earth strong on him. He had a western style to him so none of the eastern and central mines, probably none in the Strand either. Ponies had a certain ring to their voice and smell when it came time to identify where they were from and she couldn't pin him down. Western then for sure, okay. Well, it was always nice to meet a stallion from those parts and the wonder of what brought him here was powerful. He came in confidently and comfortably, the Mayor nodding towards the seat with a practiced leisure, ready and willing to hear what he had to say.

The subject surprisingly turned to the Mayor of all ponies. Well, she was more than a little tired. She had spent the previous night in the middle of a massive storm trying to get help for the Ponyville Shelter for the Needy and come straight to her office. It had been a long day since then to but not close to being over, not by any stretch of the imagination. As much as a nice rest would behoove her, she had office hours for a reason and the Mayor wasn't about to change them for anything except news of a new grandfoal or three. Well, that and the whole town getting destroyed, that would classify as good cause for hours changing. In the absence of good cause the Mayor replied with good humor, smiling and laughing at the suggestion. “I'm here until my office closes for the day. What good is a Mayor who doesn't tend to her own hours?” She laughed, getting up and making another cup of coffee, nodding towards her well-worn machine. “Want a cup?”

Brawny kept his relief of the Mayor's answer well hidden, though it took a lot of his focus and concentration to keep it that way. He didn't like imposing on his elders, not that the Mayor was overtly old, it was just a courtesy back home to not bother older ponies unless it was truly important and they weren't busy. As she got her strong smelling coffee, Brawny Boulder smoothed his vest, accidentally getting some coal on the floor. He declined her offer as politely as he could, smiling and shaking his head. Coffee wasn't much of a drink to him, it always tasted too bitter, now water on the other hand-especially after a hard day's work-was something that he enjoyed drinking. 

After allowing the Mayor Mare to finish getting her drink, he cleared his throat and spoke as professionally as he could. "Well, right down to business I s'pose, yer Mayorship. M'name's Brawny Boulder, and I'm here from Bareback Gulch to talk about a financial situation that we're figurin' could benefit both your fine town o' Ponyville and our humble settlement. Specifically, I represent the miners of Bareback Gulch Coal and Fine Ore, an' would ask a moment of yer time to talk over benefits for all." He hoped he hadn't sounded too rustic for her to understand, the receptionist had had a hard time figuring out what he'd had to say.

As Andy Griffon patiently waited in the lobby, his keen crime fighting senses were still active.  Glancing down at the floor, the keen eyed bird-tiger pounced.

"I do declare, these tiny straw scraps look familiar," Andy said as he examined them closer in his claw, pulling out a magnifying glass for a better look.  "I KNEW it!  Only one pair of delinquents I know wear hats with this type of straw in them!  The Flim Flam brothers have been here!"

Andy's mind raced back to several previous encounters with the pair of unicorn stallions.  How they travelled in Talonipolis from time to time with one deceptive sales scheme after another during the last years he was Sheriff.  Andy remembered how he had to appeal to the leaders of his land to permanently ban them from ever entering Talonipolis again. 

"I hope that matching pair of ponies haven't been causin' trouble for my friend, the Mayor!  Now I know I made the right decision ta drop by for a spell!  Guess they're long gone by now since I didn't see'm when I flew in today."

Andy returned to his seat, picking up a copy of "Better Stables and Gardens" magazine to read.

The Mayor had a sincere love for making business deals with towns all across Equestria, for the simple reason that Ponyville had relatively abundant resources and could be a good trading partner to any that made the effort. It was how a small town- well, maybe not so small anymore but it would always be a small town in her heart- went from being a dot on a map to a member of the greater whole of beautiful Equestria, part of the beating heart of her economy in order to create harmony. It helped to do so more than having a Princess or any number of famous ponies who ran around town. When towns connected links were formed. A better Equestria. A stronger Equestria. A friendlier Equestria, and she loved Equestria when it was good and friendly.

“Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Boulder. I javen't been to Bareback in such a long time- I imagine the Diamond Dogs are still a bit of a nuisance? When I lived there several years ago they would constantly harass mining teams. I had to go and barter for peace on more than a few occasions. It was there that I learned the proper art of negotiation and how to make sure that the best deal was struck for both parties. I can already tell you that there is likely to be a few problems with any proposals over that distance, but I am more than ready to agree to anything that I see as being workable and fair to Ponyville. Having more coal supplies would be an absolute wonder as our timber supplies, while not in short supply, are constrained by the unworkable limits of the Everfree,” the Mayor responded before motioning towards him, “so feel free to open it up. What do you have to offer?”

The young stallion had had no idea the Mayor of Ponyville once helped negotiate a truce between the miners back home and the Diamond Dogs. Now that took guts, they were known as mean little critters for miles around where he came from, and they were generally avoided. Then again, he himself had no problems with them since his strength was something of a tall tale around there, even though he denied the exaggerations as best he could. So, they're having trouble with their timber supplies? That could easily work out in his favor, since the coal mines were estimated to last for at least another hundred years or so, not to mention the other valuable that were found inside recently.

Brawny reached into his soot covered vest with one hoof and pulled out three items, which he held out for Mayor Mare to inspect. "Well, your Mayorship, we don't have a lot in Bareback Gulch, lemme tell you, but I do know we have the finest and friendliest folk in Roughrider Ridge, and more coal than we know what to do with. Now, this lump of coal here is straight from the mine, I knocked it down myself just yesterday, and it is of the finest quality you did ever see-when it comes to coal, that is. The strange silvery rock to the left of that is, quite simply, silver, which has only just been discovered in some of the deeper mines. And this fine lookin' gem is not something I bought along the way to this fine town o' Ponyville, I pried it from the mine shaft walls m'self. We can offer steady supplies of all three of these items-the gems being assorted of course-which I will personally transport on a weekly ta bi-weekly basis, should we come to a deal o'course."

Ahh. Silver, coal, and gems, the three things that ponies could mine better than any other creature. The mayor had a love-hate relationship with all three of them dating back to her younger days. Silver was plentiful to an extent in Equestria. There were many mines and much of the international coinage market centered on Equestria. While Equestria used the gold standard, much of the world used the silver standard. It seemed silly to the Mayor that they would choose to use it since Equestria had a dominating position on the marketplace but such was life. Even Ponyville had a few fabulous silver mines, though they were smaller than she would like. She played with the silver in her hoof, handling it with care. She didn't expect him to like what she had to say regarding the silver since Ponyville was set, but she was already thinking of places that could benefit. Apploosa, Saraneighvo, Las Pegasus- isolated cities and settlements removed from Equestria's main economic thoroughfare that could use silver as an economic fallback in case of serious issues. Every town needed them- so would they, and they needed it closer than the Heartland could provide.

The other two were more promising. Ponyville's timber supplies were rarely threatened on any serious manner. The Mayor never worried about her ponies going warmless in the winter and she never feared that the fires would go unlit during times of celebration. They could survive a single disaster, but there was a more readily apparent problem. As Ponyville grew so did her demands and those demands were at some point going to be unmet. The Everfree Forest cut off a full third of Ponyville's length from development and swallowed up a healthy portion of timber in the area. The Whitetail was protected- limited operations on the edge were allowed. Beyond that they had to be careful about how to harvest the rest. Coal would not be a primary power supply but it could be an important one. There they could do business. Gems were different- what she saw was slightly different from what Ponyville could get. Now, fact was Ponyville could still get some gems so they would have to work something out, but the point remained they could do business there.

“Well, three separate proposals and a good time schedule. I am impressed and very pleased with it! There are only a few things we need to discuss. First- I'll have to say no to silver. We have what we need and can produce enough for our own economic benefit. I would instead recommend you discuss deals with the western cities and towns who have greater need. Also, if you want to use Ponyville as a layover station for the silver trade going to the east maybe we ca work something out there. Sorry we can't do more there. Gems- we have our own gem collection efforts, but from what I remember what we can get out of the ground and what you can are different enough. I can come up with a list of stock and see what we do and don't have and you can do the same. We can work out a nice exchange there,” the Mayor began before she emptied her cup. The deal so far wasn't netting her client much of anything so far, almost an even exchange. Luckily there was one more element to be touched upon.

“The coal, however, is something Ponyville we can use and use well. Now, I don;t think we need an extreme amount, at least not yet. I am thinking six by six hooves worth six deep per parcel, six parcels a shipment at twenty-two hundred bits a parcel plus space in Ponyville for a Bareback trade exchange where you can keep your gems and use for any cross-Equestrian silver trade overlays. This space will be free and a one thousand bit credit applied to your account towards its adaptation to your needs. The space will be taxed annually and business conducted there will be taxed as well, but it is free space plus a thousand bits- if you plan on using it, you can turn a heady profit. To sum up: Twenty-two hundred per shipment. Each shipment is six parcels, each parcel six hooves by six hooves six hooves deep. You get space and a thousand bits to conduct taxed business. Sound reasonable?”

Brawny Boulder listened to the Mayor, after waiting for her response, and couldn't help from grimacing. He wasn't grimacing because he was getting an arguably bad deal, he wasn't grimacing because he misheard her, and he wasn't grimacing because of anything that would be understandable in this situation. He was grimacing, almost frowning really, that he had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. The only things he understood, thanks to never having the time for school, was 'gems', 'no', 'silver', 'no', and 'coal', 'taxed'. 

He couldn't help coughing into his hoof, accidentally spraying some coal dust into the air. "Erm, yer Mayorship? Ta be honest, I'm not even sure why they sent me, I guess cause I can pull a cart for two days straight and I can break the biggest boulders with my hooves. I ain't never been one for numbers, and I don't rightly know what a layover station is or a taxed annually is." More than anything the poor Stallion was embarrassed at having come all this way just to waste the Mayor's time, so all he could do was hang his head, causing his mane to flip in front of him. "They just asked me ta try and make us some more bits. If I uh, wasted yer precious time I do apolergize."

The Mayor had to remind herself that for some reason, the Gulch had decided to not send somepony who would be able to negotiate. That was an unusual situation as it would slow down any implementation of an agreement that was reached and was generally a poor decision. This was disheartening because she was enjoying his company, a pleasant and well-meaning fellow who seemed to have the best interests of both towns in mind. But if she couldn't get to a pony who could actually seal the deal, it would be for naught. Did they expect her to mindlessly accept all the terms and conditions they sent Boulder here with? Maybe the Gulch wasn't as well ran as she believed it was. She was less willing to enter into a deal with a town that seemingly didn't have a handle on itself. She would hold from making such an assumption but the possibility was in play where it hadn't been before.

“No need to apologize, Boulder. It just means we will have to send you back with an agreement that they can either sign and send back or negotiate. It isn't your fault that they sent you without everything you'd need to know. I'll write up the agreement-” The Mayor began to do so quickly, her quill flying across the paper in simple and stark lines, stopping only to put the quill down to ask a question,”-so, how long have you been working in the mining industry?” The Mayor asked, quickly resuming the writing out of the deal.I t would be much easier if she was a unicorn but alas, her mouth would have to suffice. And hopefully this would all work out for the best. They could use coal and the Gulch could provide. That alone was reason enough to put in the extra effort, no?

Brawny watched her writing the agreement for a bit, and wondered if maybe he should give up mining for awhile to learn some things, maybe to learn about business so that something like this wouldn't happen again. It was more than a little embarrassing that he had to think about it to see if he could have her help simplify the meaning of her words, or that he would even consider her asking at all.

"I've been in the mining business since I was a young colt, Your Mayorship, ever since I really earned my name and cutie mark-so my ma tells me. I was going to join the mines anyway, it's the only real business we have other than providing small inns for travelers and tourists to stay in overnight. My pa won't let nobody alone about how I broke that boulder on top o' him and ma, cracked in clean in two they say. I say ta trots with what happened, I was just glad they were okay, ya know? Now I uh...I think we can reach an arrangement of sorts, um, I just don't know as many fancy business words as you do, ma'am. So er, how's about a half ton of coal each week? With just a little space o' dirt for mah cart when I need ta rest? Back home we use as little as possible, but we got coal for ery' pony round fer miles. And yuh can pay whatever yuh feels is fair? I'm sorry that there weren't a boss ta send down, but the mines're everypony's back in Bareback Gulch"

Andy Griffon continues to read his magazine and patiently wait.  The bird-tiger understood that business deals like his new pony friend was trying to negotiate often takes time, and the happy griffon had all the time in the world to wait.

His mind began to wonder back to the 'evidence' he had discovered in the lobby that clearly showed the Flim-Flam brothers had been there recently.  He thought through all of the possible reasons they could've had to see the Mayor.  Perhaps they were trying to pull one of their famous cons on her!  He'd make it a point to ask the Mayor what they were there for.  Perhaps the former law enforcement officer could led a claw to his old friend, and stop whatever crazy scheme the sneaky unicorn brothers had for Ponyville.

Bless his heart, Boulder kept on trying to negotiate. That was good to hear after he had self-shackled the top end of his power here this day by announcing he was sent in the manner of a pack mule. That always made the Mayor feel terrible- why send somepony who you did not empower to negotiate effectively or give an idea on what to do exactly? But at least he was trying to do the best he could. Half a ton bi-weekly was a little more than the town needed. As a minor fuel source she expected it to be some time before they actually used it. There were also problems with storing what would amount to a large coal shelter until it could be used. There existed a good, solid ground with which for them to come to a deal and she felt that between her efforts and those of her guest today that the Gulch and Ponyville would soon join in solid business. A good day at the office, as it were.

“Half a ton may simply be too much for this town, especially since it isn't something we need now. However, the number isn't too far off from what I have actually written down on my proposal. Four tenths of a ton of coal every two weeks delivered at the price I have specified- I believe this is fair, Boulder. Perhaps they will agree as well? I can have a storage for the coal built. If they agree, then it is a simple matter of arriving back here in two weeks with the coal and I will have payment ready for you,” the Mayor chirped pleasantly as she finished writing. She then gave it the official Ponyville Mayorship stamp, the loud thunk and kathunk of the action resounding in the small office as she put the offer in an envelope and sealed it. “Is there anything else I can do for you, Boulder? If not, please feel free to get a cup of coffee and something to eat before you go.”

Brawny couldn't help smiling to himself as she affirmed that he'd actually managed to sort out the deal, even if it meant her having to revise it a bit. Still, Bareback Gulch now had a ton of jewels and silver daily with no way to use it since there were no silversmiths or jewelers back home. Maybe he could fins someone else interested? A private party perhaps rather than an entire town or city? Who knows? He smoothed out his vest a final time before taking the envelope in his teeth and sticking it in his vest coat.

He'd been about to take his leave, but her offer of coffee and something to eat caused an embarrassing phenomenon. More often than not, Brawny Boulder forgot to eat during long trips, or long work shifts, because he had the strength and stamina to merely push forward. It didn't keep him from getting hungry, nor did it keep his stomach from growling loud enough to resemble a muffled bear's growl. Blushing beneath his dirty face, Brawny chuckled. "Pardon my bad manners ma'am, I swear momma taught me better, it's just easy to lose track of time out on the trail, including lunchtime, suppertime, and breakfast. I couldn't possibly take advantage of your hospitality Your Mayorship, though I do appreciate your offer. Perhaps I'll spread some bits about in a restaurant or two. Know any good bakeries in town?"

Archived