Double Rainboom

Imada

On its own, I thought Double Rainboom was okay. Compared to the likes of Snowdrop, DR was outright-awesome! I understand why they went for the Powerpuff Girls crossover (it being one of the old shows Faust was involved in), but it kinda didn't help that I didn't watch PPG back when it first aired. :razz:

I think the purpose of the crossover was mostly to show off additional animation skills by doing different style.

There is an edited version cut down to 22 minutes I hear is better then the longer version but I haven't checked it out myself. People say the edited version fixes the pacing issues

I think the purpose of the crossover was mostly to show off additional animation skills by doing different style.

There is an edited version cut down to 22 minutes I hear is better then the longer version but I haven't checked it out myself. People say the edited version fixes the pacing issues

It definitely does! Now all we need is something to fix the story issue. I would be interested to see the DRB team try again with their assets and knowledge using a better script.

I could nitpick all the minor problems, my main gripe being the overuse of in jokes. The fan episode should win hearts on its own merit, rather than smile and nod at previously won merits. On the other hand! I loved catching all the freeze-frame moments! Maybe because it was more subtle? I dunno.

I still had loads of fun. Would totally watch again. Maybe a little viewing party with this, Snowdrop, Ponies the Anthology, etc etc.

But of course, there can't be a big project like this without controversy. I'm curious to see how this will turn out.

I loved the animation for the most part, I liked the script, even though it was overly reliant on using memes for cheap jokes. Thought where it kinda fell apart for me was the direction. The pacing was just off for a lot of the scenes, in fact, most scenes were just plain too long, and it kinda hurt the whole thing.

But much like other pioneer projects, I still think it's a good thing that it happened, because it opens the door for other, similar projects, right? XD

Final verdict would be "I don't regret watching it, but I wont watch it again any time soon."

I thought it was cute! The story was a little on the weak side, but these are animation students in school making a fan made video (not professionals working for a tv network so they still have much to learn) so I can cut them plenty of slack. I didnt see a problem with the little jokes and references and PPG being thrown in there made my day. Seeing as Lauren has her roots in PPG and that show having been a big part of my childhood, I could appreciate it even moreso. The animation was just top notch. Beautifully fluid and almost nearly mimics Hasbro's animators. Having studied at an art school, the animation is what I particularly pay attention too. I give it an 8/10. :3

By the way, I know I am not the only one to think "WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!" when first hearing "Double Rainboom" and expected someone in the episode to say it.

I'm new to the series in general, so maybe my tastes aren't as refined, but I really enjoyed the fanimation! I thought it was really well done, the voice acting was great, and the story was fun!

I think my favorite aspect was how they worked in a LOT of subtle references to other pop-culture. If you haven't seen it yet, watch for those!

-Tinker

• 2 weeks later...

Well, having just heard of this now, and not being privy to all the hype, I can say it was... okay.

Loved the animation, and plenty of the voicework was well done for a fan project, but I agree with pretty much everyone else that the story was where it sort of fell apart at the seems. Otherwise, it was pretty good, and the CN crossover was interesting to watch.

Final verdict would be "I don't regret watching it, but I wont watch it again any time soon."

^^^

This pretty much sums up my opinions quite nicely. I wish it was better than it was, but it was still enjoyable.

I found the project to be good overall, but there were some glaring problems.

The script seemed to revolve more on the references than the actual plot.

The story and moral seemed very weak.

Too many memes, and there the animation also used too many brony aspects as well (EX, Pinkie Pie explicitly jumping universes).

I'm pretty sure that there are other problems that I had with it, but I just can't remember.

Overall, it's a good piece of animation, but many of it's faults made it feel awkward, and overall weakened it.

• 2 weeks later...