The Revolution Saga, Part Two: Invasion (Open! Please Apply in OOC)

•Within Sel'tharid, the Realm of Dreams•

A summer wind blew through the land below, warm and gentle to the touch, all the while bearing the sweet scent of nectar and flora as it scattered the fallen leaves on the ground below. All that could be seen for miles was the red-topped forest that stretched in every direction, their leaves the colour of blood and the soil a dull ash-gray. The trees themselves had trunks as black as the night sky in the real world, a contrast to the always-white sky that existed here in Sel'tharid. Everythingg was peaceful...quiet. Such things were impossible to find these days, especially in the waking world. The wildlife that existed here weren't truly there at all; instead, they were simply creatures whose dreams touched this realm at different times. Everything was as it should be here; a transcendant paradise...but it wasn't that way at all.

Once, long ago, every civilized creature had been able to tap into Sel'tharid when they slept, for they were more connected to magic than most beings today. The Realm of Dreams had been a crossroads, a place for those who slept to continue to rest and enjoy their time with those they knew in the real world...a beautiful purpose for a beautiful place. However, the ability to enter this forgotten realm slowly diminished from the common populations of Equestria and other lands from beyond, leaving only truly powerful magicians and magical beasts to enter this peaceful world. Despite the long absense of civilized life, Sel'tharid still displayed evidence of such a time; ranging from paved roads to abandoned towns and cities, all of which were unchanged even though they suffered from lack of use. Even now, a lone unicorn walked down the empty streets of one of those forgotten townships, who seemed to be searching for something lost. This unicorn was a reknowned figure in the waking world; one of the great leaders of Equestria. However, tonight she secluded herself to the Realm of Dreams for some purpose...a purpose she herself did not understand. Her name, is Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight looked within a dome-like building made from white alabaster, but after a moment she shook her head and slowly continued onward past the house, not looking back. Tonight, she had been dragged in here by some unknown magic...which meant that somepony, or something, was summoning her. Who or what exactly, she could not say, but only that they possessed incredible power to pull a unicorn like her into this realm. Stopping at a crossroads, she paused and dug at the gray ground beneath her. For a few moments, she looked down each direction several times, before she was confronted by what appeared to be a gigantic bear made out of clouds, whose eyes were like electric orbs and whose maw looked like an alley of tornados. Staring at her, it lowered it's head and smiled a toothy grin. Twilight felt no fear; she had dealt with it's kind before, and will again if she needed to.

After a long, awkward moment, the creature bellowed a deep chuckle, one that sounded like peals of thunder against her ears. When it finally settled down, it's stomach expanded like it was taking a deep breath, before the roar that was it's voice emerged from it's cavernous mouth. "SO, MAGUS. WHAT GIVES ME THE PLEASURE TO ENTERTAIN THE NOTORIOUS GOD-SLAYER, HMM? HAVE YOU FINALLY COME TO THROW ME INTO AN OCEAN, OR A FIERY CHASM, AS YOU HAVE MY BROTHERS?" The mare locked her violet eyes with the creature's, but made no change in her expression. "...you tell me, Sloth. You are the one who summoned me here, correct?" Her answer drew yet another sound-shattering cackle from the magical beast, it's cloudy chest heaving up and down. "NOT I, EON-JA. SOMEONE ELSE HAS BROUGHT YOU HERE. SOMEONE YOU KNOW VERY WELL...SOMEONE WHO KNOWS YOU AS MUCH AS YOU DO YOURSELF." This time, Twilight's expression did change at that remark; into puzzlement. Stepping forward, she tipped her head in question of the Old God's statement. "...who do you mean? No one living can know me as much as you suggest, and as far as I'm aware, the dead cannot enter here." The creature shook it's head wistfully as it began to fade. "SO YOUNG...I WISH YOU HAD ENOUGH TIME TO SEE THE ERRORS YOU HAVE MADE..." With those last words, it burst into fog and dissipated under the temperate yellow sun above. Disturbed by the Old God's words, she continued past the spot where it had once stood.

After several minutes of trotting, she would notice dark clouds beginning to form in the sky; an abnormality in Sel'tharid. As a precaution, she created magical wards against lightning and rain to protect herself. In this place, any injury you incur can appear in the waking world...if you die, you never wake up again. As soon as the magic left her horn, the land was enveloped under a great shadow; the buildings and streets covered in an ominous gloom that sent chills down her spine. As rain began to fall and splash again her barrier, she noticed a dark figure further down the road, one that seemed to get closer and closer. Taking a defensive stance, she squinted so she could see the pony-like form approaching her through the shadowy veil that had fallen over the area. When the creature was within a few meters, lightning flashed across the sky, lighting up a unicorn wearing blood-red robes that covered it's entire body, and a mask in the shape of a fox's face. Twilight froze, her eyes widening in stark terror. The Red Fox...Herald...cackled as it was within dashing distance of her. "You are mine, Twilight...you will always be mine. You can never escape me, and I cannot be without you. You are my instrument, I your wielder...you can run, but you will never escape me. YOU ARE MINE!" With the mask contorting into a snarl, Herald leapt at Twilight with a burst of speed. Twilight screamed before everything went black, her consciousness fading.

•Twilight Sparkle, within her chambers in the New Citadel, Equinia•

Her screams followed her into the waking world, as she sat up from her bed in stark terror, her eyes wide and her breath ragged. The muttering of a pair of Moon Guard came from the otherside of the rosewood door to her chambers, which began to open to admit a white-clad mare with three red ranking knots on her shoulders. "...Grand Chancellor, are you well? Grand Chancellor?" Regaining control of her breathing, Twilight gulped as she responded with as much dignity as she could muster. "Yes...yes, I'm fine. Please, return to your post. It was only a dream." The concerned look didn't fade from the Moon Guard's face, but she nodded and exited the room just as swiftly as she came. Twilight sighed and looked out the window, seeing the first soft-blue light of pre-dawn on the horizon. Another long day...especially after the recent terrorist attacks in the Celestial Quarter. Today, she had a meeting with Freelancer to discuss protection for her second-in-command and dearest friend; Rainbow Dash. Well...she might as well get started. Sitting up and making her way toward her wardrobe, she snatched her military-styled red uniform with the Federation crests and lace ranking knots. If she was going to meet this mysterious Director...she might as well look her best. Once she was dressed in her formal attire, she trotted back to the door and turned the knob, meeting the salutes of her Moon Guard as they made their way down one of the Citadel's many hallways. Today was a new beginning...for good or bad, it was at least that.

>Equina Airspace, Sky Talon gunship

The Freelancer dropship flew towards Equina low and fast along the cold and dense horizon, it's grey and light green fuselage darted across the landscape to avoid detection moving along a prefabricated flight plan that would take the gunship to the heart of Equina itself. It's pilot was a skilled ex-New Equestrian Order ace pilot by the codename of 4-6-9er, a pegasus that joined Freelancer after the Revolution just for a chance to fly. "We're five minutes from the New Citadel, hope no-one's made a mess back there I just cleaned this y'know." Her voice sarcastic but playful and full of life remarked behind her helmet as the interior vibrated and shaked due to the rough flight. armoured in a modified black and silver flight suit the pegasus's head was encased in a helmet with the chrome-tinted visor displaying readouts and information on the craft and vital flight information.

"No we're fine back here 4-6-9er, just try not to, y'know...Crash us? just some helpful advice." a firm yet slightly worried voice of a stallion crackled across the pilot's comms system, 469-er smirked and chuckled as she recognised the voice of a nervous Agent Washington. "Crash us? What? Any idea who you're talking to here? you wanna jump out and walk there and back well be my guest, princess." she retorted back at Washington with a sharp and snide wit, she knew Washington had hated flying in general just as he apologised for the crashing remark knowing they were in safe hands. 469-er constantly teased him about it to some extent, but then continued her duties of flying the aircraft to their destination.

Meanwhile in the dimly lit troop compartment of the Freelancer gunship were it's six passengers, two of them experienced veteran Agents of Freelancer alongside three other lesser experience Freelancer Agents all heavily armoured and armed with armaments specifically tailored to their combat styles, one who was bantering with the pilot was a Freelancer Pegasus Agent codenamed 'Washington' was sitting uneasily in the seat harness he was occupying. Clad in the standard issue armour used by Freelancer agents the black coloured yellow striped armour made him more difficult to spot in the compartment. "So why are we heading straight into the center of the Federation's heart, in broad daylight where everyone can see us?" Washington asked curiously hoping to break the awkward silence that seemed to fall upon the atmosphere of the compartment.

"[colour=#40e0d0]Wash, we're here to negotiate with the locals, hopefully get one of our own inside and find out what they're up to. If we're lucky we might find something interesting You heard of the attacks from the north? yeah well it's connected to that.[/colour]" the second agent explained to Washington simply, the female agent was clad in a turquoise coloured armour which emphasized some of her figure while not sacrificing protection. As her voice even coming from inside her helmet, had an aura of a commanding and confident even dangerously lethal calming effect which she commonly used to inspire Freelancers under her command. This female agent was none other than Agent 'Carolina', Freelancer's second most dangerous Agent aside from maybe Agent 117 himself, she was an effective and resourceful commander being notorious for her ambitious, strong-willed and lethal combat ability proving time and again she had what it takes.

"[colour=#a9a9a9]A good start Agent Carolina, but it doesn't stop there. We also need to learn if we can trust our new 'friends' in the coming conflict, reports suggest a large army-sized force heading for Equestria and they don't have the resources or manpower to tackle it alone and time is proving a fleeting ally in our cause. Even with the combined strength of the Loyalist remnants and the L.E.H forces they can only bring things into a stalemate with our help they could turn the tide and repel this new threat to Equestria. We have an opportunity to provide them the tools to increase their chances of survival while furthering our own agenda from behind the scenes. We will not be handed such a perfect opportunity such as this negotiation again, we must seize it and not falter.[/colour]" A seasoned southern voice arose and elaborated on Carolina's explanation, the voice was instantly recognisable to the Freelancer Agents as it was none other than the Director of Freelancer himself personally showing up to meet what he would consider his equal, Twilight Sparkle A.K.A Red Fox.

While his face was enshrouded in shadows while his mane shined in a brown-hazelly colour with a hint of grey in the sides, which looked like it was glowing when the dawn sunshine hovered around it. The rest of his body was visible in a fashionably tailored grey suit with the best quality money could buy. Style, charisma and a sense of fashion the Director always seemed to possess while his chief weapons were his mind, the ability to manipulate people to suit his and Freelancer's agenda and his skills as a military commander were second to none.

Using his magic he levitated a fine quality cigar to his mouth and lit the end with a lighter, after a moment of taking a long breath of the cigar he blew a moderately large puff of smoke into the cabin. "[colour=#d3d3d3]This negotiation is of the highest priority, I have absolutely no doubt you two will do what is necessary while I am engaged in the process. You were selected because you are the best agents Freelancer has to offer you are to represent Freelancer as a whole during this meeting, I have Agent 117 being briefed on his assignment and he will take charge of liaising between Freelancer and the other Equestrian factions once an agreement is met. Am I understood?[/colour]" The Director sternly asked his Agents emphasizing the weight and gravity of what he asked them of.

"Yes Director sir!" Carolina and Washington rapidly replied in a salute acknowledging the Director's orders in respect of his authority, Carolina especially being fiercely loyal to the Director it seemed almost fanatical. "But Director wait, why isn't Agent 117 here with us? wouldn't it make more sense to have him here too?" Washington asked the Director wondering about why Agent 117 wasn't coming along with them. "[colour=#d3d3d3]Because Washington he is my ace in the hole, if these negotiations went badly I have a teleport beacon ready to bring him and reinforcements and a flight of gunships to our position and cover our escape. However I am confident that such measures will not have to be implemented if we do our duty correctly.[/colour]" The Director coldly answered Washington, he mentioned a contingency plan requiring heavy amounts of firepower being used in case the Director's life was in danger, usually he would use a holographic project of himself where he would be safe and talk from a safe distance. However this was different as his adversary was none other than Twilight Sparkle herself, he remembered what she did in the Revolution under the guise of the dreaded Red Fox. He was still a honorable stallion despite his secrecy and elusiveness and considered it a dishonour if he had not agreed to meet face to face. Besides he was absolutely fascinated in the mare who six years ago, was the paragon of all things good in Equestria now turned ruler of this fair land.

"We're approaching the Citadel now, commencing final approach sequence and lowering the landing gear. Mares and Gentlecolts, please keep your trays in the upright position and your upper compartments fastened and secured and thank you for flying with Freelancer Airways and hope you enjoy your visit to beautiful Equina." 469er announced sarcastically over the gunship's comms systems as the rear ramp lowered revealing the vast landscape of the cityscapes of Equina and the surrounding blue horizon while the dawn approached the city.

Carolina, Washington and the Agents were the first out of their seats they gripped onto the overhead rails with their armour firmly on the cold metal floor of the gunship's interior, waiting for the dropship to land. "[colour=#40e0d0]Alright Freelancers, I want a tight organized fireteam formation out there. No-one fall behind and keep the Director safe at all costs, we're here to keep him safe and to make Freelancer look out-freaking-standing. Am I clear Agents?![/colour]" Carolina ordered the agents giving them strict instructions in preparation for the landing who responded in unison with gruff and loud 'Hoo-rah to ashes!' as they hyped themselves up and readied to disembark the gunship.

The sleek stealthy gunship approached the Citadel's impressive cathedral-like structure, it soared towards a courtyard large enough for the gunship to land at as a pre designated landing zone that was agreed to become the initial meeting point for the VIPs of both sides. The roar of it's engines engulfed the courtyard as it swung the rear of it's fuselage in a dangerous maneuver that would've crashed the whole thing if the pilot was an inexperienced amatuer.

As it swung around it revealed a brief glimpse of the open ramp before kicking up a large screen of dust, concealing the Freelancer Fireteam they rushed out with impressive speed and precision with Carolina and Washington at the front of the group leading the way while they moved in a close squad formation that had been in perfect unison, not a single agent fell out of step as they practiced formations constantly as part of their training. They emerged from the clouds like armoured ghosts of the supernatural, striding out like confident towering war machines with their weapons lowered, but ready at a moments notice. They were ready and waiting for their GEF hosts to arrive before giving the Director the all clear emerge out of the dropship.

•Twilight Sparkle, within the New Citadel of Equinia; Halls»Courtyard•

The soft sound of hoofsteps were the only noise that echoed through the Citadel's gigantic stone halls, for many had gone silent after the events in the Celestial Quarter only a few days gone. A tragedy, it was...several hundred wounded from all factions, and dozens more dead. Such violence had never been seen by the citizens of Equinia...the unnecessary carnage those acts of terrorism had caused, and for nothing more but to frighten and demoralize the city's inhabitants. Worst of all, Rainbow Dash and Chronarch had been injured during the bombings. Rainbow, Chancellor of Equinia and beloved by many here, had been labeled 'the Savior of Equinia' for her actions on the day of the Equinian Apocalypse, and was respected by mares and stallions of all factions. When she was harmed, it was as if a knife had been plunged into the heart of the city's citizens...slowly drawing the life-blood out of them. As for the Archmage Chronarch, he had fallen into a coma shortly after dragging Rainbow's unconscious form out of the danger-zone and to safety; many called him a hero, a martyr. If only they knew how truthful they were.

Twilight had to push down the sudden tears that were trying to escape, nudging aside her emotions and her sorrow; she had to remain strong, now more than ever. It wouldn't do for her subjects if they saw their leader bawl like a foal. First, the Princesses had died, then Azure was taken from her, and now...now this? All she could do was shove down the brewing despair deep within her...today, she had an important duty to enact. The half-dozen Moon Guard that acted as her protection force today marched at her sides in two rows, their white uniforms well-pressed and unwrinkled, their specially-crafted assault rifles hanging at their sides but always ready to be drawn at a moment's notice. She herself wore a similar uniform, but coloured red and bearing the many symbols of her office; the former hammer and pickaxe of the N.E.O., the G.E.F.'s golden hoof and blood-spots, and a medal with a pair of wings that was labeled: "Never Forget". Only veterans of the Revolution bore the last medal. She had several others, arranged in order of achievement and authority. Despite her formal military attire, the clothing did not detract from her otherworldly beauty...some would say she appeared to be more beautiful every day; she knew that was only an illusion. She had to grow old some time.

After several moments of walking down the hallways unhindered by liveried servents or lower-ranking soldiers, she and her Moon Guard detachment arrived at the doors that led out to the Northern Courtyard. Taking a deep breath, she gestured for the two closest Moon Guard to open the door, keeping her eyes locked straight ahead as they rushed to do as commanded. With the opening of the heavy stone doors came an onrush of flowery scents and sunlight, blinding Twilight for a moment as her eyes adjusted. Sitting right in the middle of the courtyard was the Freelancer Gunship, Sky Talon. A semi-legendary craft if there ever was one; flown by a Freelancer Agent named 4-6-9er, A.K.A Harmony. Twilight smiled in spite of herself; Shade Corps intelligence gathering had dramatically increased since the organization's...reduction...in numbers. The Director would not possess all the cards in this game of chess they were about to play. Stepping out into the light, her crimson cloak billowed in the wind as she steadily advanced toward the gunship and the Freelancer Agents stationed right outside of it. They did not frighten her...nothing much did, anymore. Several precautions had been taken to ensure the safety of both herself and their...guests. While the Federation, or anypony else for that matter, might not have the technological strength of Freelancer, she knew her magicians easily made up for it.

Her Moon Guard appeared as relaxed as they would at a normal social gathering...they were quite proficient at setting appearances. Stopping only a few meters from the agents in front of her, Twilight put on a disarming smile as her eyes studied them. Any little detail might help. She quickly identified two of the agents from intelligence briefs on some of Freelancer's more well-known agents; Agents Carolina and Washington. Both of them were known to be amazing fighters, both at a range and up close, as well as being excellent strategists. She would definitely have to watch them. Clearing her throat, she addressed them with a determined but otherwise friendly voice. "Good Morning, Agents of Freelancer. I trust your flight was amenable? Also, I was informed that I would be speaking with the Director in person. Is he...here?"

Carolina and Washington stood side by side while the other agents aligned themselves facing the Citadel, opposite each other in two parallel lines across leading from the Sky Talon's open ramp. Carolina approached Twilight and greeted her by saluting sharply before she initiated the formal greetings, "[colour=#40e0d0]Miss Sparkle I am Agent Carolina, Commander of the Freelancer Fireteam codenamed 'Majestic' and in charge of Freelancer security during the negotiation proceedings My second in-command for this operation is Agent Washington, he's the one in the black and yellow armour and the Director is here but he's in the dropship.[/colour]" Carolina formally introduced herself to the purple unicorn in a strictly business-like manner analyzing her cautiously, she heard about the fierce reputation that Twilight possessed and not once underestimated her capabilities. Then a call came over her helmet's built-in communication network, it was the Director. "[colour=#40E0D0]Yes sir, the area is secure it's safe to come out.[/colour]" she spoke confidently confirming the area was safe for the Director as she gave a quick gaze to the unicorn in front of her as if she was grateful to meet the Director himself before she turned to step aside making way.

"[colour=#40E0D0]Freelancers, Right turn. Present ARMS![/colour]" She commanded with a fierce demeanor as the agents, including Washington faced each other and brought their weapons to their sides sliding their hind legs together while saluting with their hooves. "[colour=#40E0D0]The Director of Freelancer approaches.[/colour]" Carolina announced proudly as the Agents of Freelancer held their salute in the utmost respect, the Director elegantly stepped out and on the tarmac in swift movements. His stylish sharp dressed suit and glasses covered his eyes to protect his identity, he looked more like a mature model than a military mastermind leading an organisation such as Freelancer and began striding past his agents towards Twilight and Carolina at the center. "[colour=#D3D3D3]Thank you Carolina, you and Fireteam Majestic may return at ease now. Washington and you will accompany me inside with our hosts while your men stay and defend the gunship.[/colour]" The Director positively commended Carolina then proceeded to issue a set of orders to her and Washington who quickly moved to the Director's other side opposite Carolina, nodding in confirmation she then relayed the orders to the rest of the agents who retreated back to the gunship.

"[colour=#D3D3D3]Now with that complete. I may introduce myself, I am the Director of Freelancer and may I say, Twilight Sparkle. It's an honour to finally meet the mare behind the reputation, the mare that has brought Equestria into the future of Ponykind.[/colour]" The Director suavely introduced himself to the attractive mare before him with a charismatic smile, complimenting on her efforts to restore Equestria and her reputation that has made her a political celebrity. "[colour=#d3d3d3]I hope you don't mind the extra security, but a necessary precaution of people of our respective status. Given what we know, I think it's justified for what is about to arrive in the coming months.[/colour]" The Director cautiously warned about the amount of agents he brought as a security detail, including the heavily armed gunship behind them. "[colour=#d3d3d3]As I recall, you requested Freelancer assistance on a matter related [/colour][colour=#d3d3d3]to Miss Rainbow Dash and the recent attempt on her life, yes?[/colour]" He continued rather business-like knowing full well he was correct but had to start somewhere. "[colour=#d3d3d3]Hopefully we can come to some sort of arrangement by the end of these discussions, I see no reason that this could not benefit both Freelancer and Federation's interests. Perhaps we can continue this inside?[/colour]" The Director added insightfully before motioning to the doors of the Citadel casually, wishing to not be so out in the open with so many vantage points available. While he wasn't a paranoid stallion he prefered to be sighted as little as possible and keep a virtually non-existent profile, as far as the general public were concerned. He was a legendary urban myth without proof of existence.

-[colour=#FF8C00]General [/colour][colour=#FF8C00]Applejack[/colour], outside the citadel, Equinia-

Applejack strode through the streets purposefully, looking up to the towering skyscraper of a building that was the Citadel. It was a marvel that the GEF had managed to restore it so quickly, but marveling at buildings could wait. She looked either side of her, making sure her personal guards could keep up. The armored ponies didn't falter, the Eternium Brigade were a steely bunch. Word had reached her that the GEF and Freelancer were having a meeting, and she was furious that she and the RLF had not been invited. It was obviously important, as her earpiece buzzed as a RLF watchtower reported a gunship flying into the Citadel, armed to the teeth, probably Freelancer tech. It still troubled her how secretive the organisation was, and it didn't help that so far it looked like they hadn't actually done anything for the war effort yet. She would have let the two factions plot their little conspiracies in peace, but there had been a terrorist attack recently, and Applejack feared that Rainbow Dash had been wounded. The visit was also to discuss the health of her friend. Friend? She had openly rejected her friendship at starlight hill, professing just how much she despised the rainbow-maned mare for joining the GEF. But then again she had visited her after the first attack on Equinia........ Her cheeks flushed red and she growled quietly to herself, she couldn't let thoughts like that anywhere near herself. She had a job to do, like it or not.

Coming to a halt at the gates to the courtyard, Applejack waited for a guard to address her. After the usual fuss, she managed to get herself and two of her guards in, while the rest waited outside the gates. Marching into the large entrance hallway, the mare headed straight for the elevator that would take her to the upper levels, not noticing the GEF soldiers watching her cautiously. As she reached the elevator, she opened the door and stepped in. A nauseating smell permeated the air, some kind of disgusting smelling perfume. The general frowned and tried to hold her breath as the elevator accelerated towards the highest levels of the tower, where the meetings were held. The doors slid open silently, and she stepped into a room barren room, with guards at each corner, and a pony at a desk sat next to a large door, which she assumed was the meeting room. Walking up to the pony at the desk, she had to wait a couple of seconds before the unicorn sat at the table acknowledged her. The unicorn looked up at her blandly, adjusting her glasses. "General Applejack. How may I help you today Ma'am?" The obviously bored unicorn half said, half groaned. [colour=#FF8C00]"I'd like to request a presence with Miss Twilight Sparkle." [/colour]Applejack said calmly, regaining her composure. The unicorn looked down and typed something into a computer, before shaking her head. "I'm sorry ma'am, but you need to book at least 3 weeks in advance to hold any meetings with Miss Sparkle. I can book you in for 3 weeks tomorrow if you would like." Applejack's eye twitched once as the unicorn spoke, something about that tone just made her want to strangle something. Her Eternium Brigade guards stood silent, like muted tin soldiers in a foal's bedroom.[colour=#FF8C00]"It's urgent war business, I have all the credentials here."[/colour] Applejack pulled out a small dossier from a pocket in her uniform, and slid it across the table to the mare. The unicorn took a glance at it, then typed into her computer again. "Sorry ma'am, but a meeting like this can not just be called instantly. The earliest I can book you in for is next Tuesday." Applejack ground her teeth in frustration, she was starting to get very annoyed at this desk jockey. [colour=#FF8C00]"I don't think you understand." [/colour]The general slammed her hoof on the table, making the unicorn flinch a little. [colour=#FF8C00]"I have soldiers up north fighting to keep little greedy mares and stallions alive. So do not give me this corporate flank attitude. I demand a presence with Twilight Sparkle now!"[/colour] Applejack yelled, echoing down throughout the halls of the citadel.

-[colour=#800080]Lieutenant[/colour] [colour=#800080]Lavender Bloom[/colour], (2 days ago) The frozen wastes, near ruins of royal changeling hive-

A map was laid out across the metal floor of a troop transport, as soldiers gathered around to see what the plan was. The map displayed mostly the bleach white of the wastes, but occasional black and red circles were drawn across it, with a large square with multiple arrows pointing directly towards it sat in the top left corner. Captain Cloud Runner knelt down beside the map, signalling for the troops to hush. Lavender Bloom listened intently. [colour=#A52A2A]"[/colour][colour=#A52A2A]Al[/colour][colour=#A52A2A]righty then fillies and gentlecolts, here is the game plan for the next couple of weeks. And sorry for the lousy map, all the jazzy stuff got blown away with the AA guns yesterday. All of these circles represent enemy bases, it's our job to take them out. Delta core, your target will be here. Theta core, your target will be......" [/colour]Lavender slowly tuned her ears out, beginning to fall into another daydream. It was dark, cold, but surprisingly, it felt like home. A light flashed in the distance, distant murmurs on the wind met her ears. She tried to call out, but no sound came, only a strangled gurgling noise. The lights flashed again, lighting up something. Two ponies, one a stallion, one a small pegasus in the forest, hunting deer. A stallion in chains, laughing as he was whipped and tortured. A stallion in the streets, giving one last farewell. Slowly, a bullet left the first sequence, then the second, then plunged into the third......

[colour=#A52A2A]"........... And Lieutenant Lavender Bloom, you and Hades Core will be taking out this base here. It is a vital watch tower, something I feel your squad should be suited to disposing of."[/colour] Lavender shook her head, clearing the cobwebs from her mind. [colour=#800080]"Yes sir." [/colour]She said sternly, nodding. [colour=#A52A2A]"Then that's it for now. Suit up and be ready for deployment by oh-five-hundred. Eternium Brigade! Dismissed."[/colour] The soldiers gathered in the room snapped to attention crisply, then left or their respective sleeping quarters.

-present-

Lavender resisted the urge to scream madly as she fell away from the rapidly-exploding tower behind her, spreading her wings with practiced ease. Her whole squad, dead....... Even the commander. Oh gods, it was all her fault. How would she explain this? She was drawn away from her thoughts as something whizzed just past her head, singeing the side of her helmet. Flaming arrows left the ground to meet her, and she tried to dodge the CE archers. Just as she thought she was away from it though, an arrow whizzed past her left wing, setting it alight. Before pain had even began to register Lavender screamed, plummeting to the ground. She awoke hazily, half drowning in the snowdrift that had broke her fall. Pulling herself from the icy grave, she sat down in the snow, panting and looking side to side. A tingling sensation started in her wing, followed by a ferocious, all-consuming pain.

Lavender cried out, seeing her half scorched wing. The damage wasn't too bad, but her flight feathers had been burnt away. That didn't help with the pain though, as the mare popped out a small medical kit from her backpack. Most of the things in there, her rifle, her food, her supplies, had all been crushed by the fall, but luckily she still had the life-saving little green box. She applied the burn gel and wrapped her wing in bandages, before checking what else she had left after the fall. All but her knife had been crushed. Wrought with despair and shock, Lavender got up and began to walk around, sealing all of the access ports of the armor, essentially creating an airtight barrier. It was still freezing though. She tried to remember the way she and her squad had came, they had been southwest of the watchtower at the base. She looked at the hoof display on her armor, luckily that had survived as well. She was 10 miles north, with a raging blizzard in between her and safety. Lighting up the nearly futile S.O.S. beacon on her armor, something that actually needed a signal to work, Lavender began to make the long trek home, knowing that she would probably be found by something eventually, for better or for worse.

•Twilight Sparkle, within the Northern Courtyard of the New Citadel of Equinia•

The unicorn mare nodded as Carolina introduced herself, her fellow agent, and explained her position and duty during these negotiations. When Carolina responded to somepony over the comm-link they had, Twilight's thoughts buzzed. Clearly, the Director had doubts over his safety here in the Citadel, and had no-doubt set up prevention measures in case things turned for the worst. He should have doubts. She herself did; after all, she was offering a free ticket into her deepest circles toward the Freelancer organization...if she did not like their proposal, she would refuse; if they pressed the issue...she would end it. Watching quietly as the infamous Director made his way down the ramp towards her and the rest of the negotiations detachment. She found it humorously odd how the Director was dressed; as if he were attending a high-class New Manehatten party. ...but he does pull it off. Twilight thought to herself wryly. When the Freelancers relaxed their salutes and the Director sent out his new commands, Twilight tapped the ground twice with her rear hoof; miniscule taps, only to be seen by those behind her. At once, the Moon Guard's weapons disappeared into thousands of magical sparks, and they took on a relaxed stance. When the Director introduced himself, and quite flatteringly, Twilight put on a practiced smile.

"...thank you. I welcome you to Equinia, Director. As for your security measures; you have no need to explain yourself. In dangerous times like these, one is never truly safe, are they?" She let the words sink in before gesturing toward the Citadel's courtyard entrance. "Yes, I did request for a bit of aid from your organization, Director. Grimlock! Come; the rest of you, remain here in case our guests have need of anything while we're busy in our negotiations." The Moon Guard saluted, hoof-to-heart, before dispersing and leaving behind an intimidating unicorn mare with several golden knots on her uniform. Lt. Colonel Grimlock; a former Stalliongrad citizen and veteran of the both the Great Purge and the Revolution, she was a hardened soldier both in mind and body...and completely loyal to the Federation. Nearly as strong in magic as Twilight was herself, Grimlock had displayed her devotion on countless occasions, and was one of the few ponies Twilight could trust these days. Once her Moon Guard were away, Twilight set herself into a business-like mood and nodded. "Now that we are finished with introductions...shall we begin? I have a lovely conference chamber made just for this occasion, and it would be a shame if you were discovered for the...myth...that you are, yes?"

Never one to disappoint, Grimlock's horn glowed a soft blue as her magic opened the heavy stone doors. Turning towards the Director and Twilight, she bowed respectfully, flourishing her white cloak behind her. Always the one for dramatics. "Grand Chancellor, Director...if you will please follow me?" Without so much as a response, Grimlock proceeded to trot towards the Citadel entrance, with Twilight simply smiling and following suit. "Now, Director, I hope you do not mind, but I-" A soft beep went off on the cufflink of one of her upper hooves, and she frowned. Lifting the communications device up, she answered the call. "...what is it? I am quite busy at the moment with important guests." Another beep, and a panicked, shrill voice sounded off on the other end. "Sorry, Grand Chancellor, but we have an issue! Commander Applejack, of the RLF, she's demanding an audience with-" The clerk's voice was drowned out by the shouting of a southern-accented mare, as well as more noise Twilight did not particularly care for. "I do not care if she's here to report an attack by those ****ed Alicorns; she will have to wait her turn like everypony else...I am not some servant she may call on whenever she wishes. Inform her that I will speak with her later, perhaps this evening, but until then she must wait!" Her voice grew increasingly strained at the end before finishing her orders, letting out a deep sigh as the call ended. "Now...Director, shall we continue? I am sorry for the...interruption."

•Rainbow Dash, in the halls outside the Citadel Infirmary•

"Chancellor, come back! You haven't fully recovered yet! Please, stop! Dear Celestia, somepony stop her before she injures herself!" Rainbow ignored the cries of the nurses and her doctor as she stormed out from the infirmary. How dare she! How dare Twilight try to find and force on her a...a bodyguard! It wasn't right! Fiery rage boiled inside of her as she made her way down the halls, while servants and maids dodged left and right to avoid the raging mare. So, Twily thinks she can just pick some random Freelancer bodyguard for me, right?! Well, she has another thing coming! Rainbow furiously thought as she sped down the halls. Her wings, torso, and left rear leg were all bandaged up, as well as a few covers for the cuts on her face, so she couldn't move as fast as she wanted to. Despite her wounds, she managed a decent pace toward where Twilight was scheduled to meet with this 'Director' pony. If Rainbow Dash had her way, she'd beat Twilight in front of everypony, and then...! The thought stopped in it's tracks when she paused upon seeing Applejack yelling at one of the clerks, demanding to see Twilight.

All she could do was stand and stare as the two ponies bantered at each other, neither willing to give an inch. Sighing inwardly, she began to make her way toward them. Somepony had to stop this, before Applejack assaulted the pony who was only trying to do his job. It was at this time that the pain finally set in her bandaged leg, and she grunted, continuing on anyway. Once she sorted this mess out, it was straight to Twilight! Raising her voice, she called out to the RLF party. "Hey! I can tell you've got something important to talk about, Applejack, but trying to tear off that guy's head won't help you much." She put on a grin when she stopped a couple meters away, posturing herself so it appeared that her wounds hardly hindered her at all. "If you want to talk, talk to me; I can promise I'll listen better than the bookworm you're asking to see."

(phone post, I'll edit in the morning.)

-General Applejack, within the citadel, Equinia-

Applejack was on the verge of punching the stupid clerk in the face, but was stopped by the sound of a grunt and a familiar voice. "Rainbow!" The general exclaimed as she stepped towards the wounded mare and nearly embraced her, but stopped herself. She coughed, clearing her throat. "It's good to see you're in one piece. You scared me with the whole bomb thing." The office clerk spoke up about how Twilight had said herself that she couldn't see the general right now, but she couldn't be bothered to listen. Her features relaxed, and she put on a small smile. "I actually came here to discuss your condition with miss high and mighty Twilight Sparkle, but I can see you are just fine right now. Plus I could actually use some advice."

She frowned for a second, recalling the large skirmish from a couple days ago between the Eternium Brigade and the Crystal Empire. "3 days ago, a large convoy of Eternium Brigade soldiers were attacked by Pierrot's forces. The cause of the attack is unknown at this point, it could just be to lower our numbers. But the scary thing is, the site of the attack was only a few hundred mile's north from New Manehatten. And that means that if the predictions are right, they could be on our doorstep within the next couple of weeks at the rate that they are moving." Applejack finished her explanation, a grave look on her face. She looked out the window for a second, shaking her head slightly. The city was not ready for an attack of that magnitude. "And even if we could send everything at them, it's estimated that the attack we faced up north was from a small detachment of soldiers. Even if all the factions worked together, we would still need a miracle to win." She looked back at Dash, her eyes full of concern.

>Citadel, Equina - The Director, Agents Carolina and Washington

The Director couldn't help but notice how he and Twilight shared similar thoughts, they understood the threat that approached was a threat that could engulf Equestria in a costly war and required co-operation from both sides. "[colour=#d3d3d3]That may be true, but as a wise general once said: 'you can hand a pony a big stick, but it matters more on whose swinging it'.[/colour]" The Director countered Twilight's statement with an intuitive coy smile as if it seemed like a flirt, he let her mind linger on that quote for a while. "[colour=#d3d3d3]Agreed, lead the way Miss Sparkle. And never underestimate your opponent, I hear it tends to end badly.[/colour]" The Director swiftly agreed while motioning to Carolina and Washington. Unintimidated by Twilight's threat he remarked with a hint of sarcasm in his voice at the last statement. He followed her and her retinue of elite armoured ponies inside with Carolina and Washington following close behind him, Carolina kept her eyes firmly locked forward in the Director and Twilight's direction while Washington looked around admiring the Citadel's architecture. "Impressive, wonder how they make it as grand in this short time huh Carolina?..." Washington muttered to Carolina through their suit-to-suit comm units letting out an impressed whistle. "[colour=#40E0D0]Wash, stay focussed on the mission. We're not here as tourists.[/colour]" Carolina sharply replied to Wash while following the Director and Twilight.

As they all stopped the Freelancers noticed the slight interruption occurring, involving a panicking attendant and a furious RLF commander with a heavy southern accent. "[colour=#d3d3d3]Having problems with your allies?[/colour]" The Director remarked with a teasing smug grin on his face, holding back a chuckle under his calm composure he was clearly enjoying toying with Twilight. "[colour=#40e0d0]Ahem, yeah well. We should be moving to the conference room so we can get these negotiations underway.[/colour]" Carolina stated straight to the point, The Director cleared his throat and then nodded back at Carolina. "[colour=#d3d3d3]So Twilight, surely an attractive mare like yourself must be intrigued about a mysterious stranger like me showing up on your homeland and causing a security nightmare for a meeting. quite frankly I'm more interested in you given your reputation and all.[/colour]" The Director started as he thought of striking up a conversation with her casually, he showed no hidden intent whatsoever he was genuinely intrigued about the legendary Twilight Sparkle herself.

•Twilight Sparkle and Grimlock, in the Citadel's Northern Halls•

As the small entourage continued through the halls to their destination, Twilight caught Wash's remark about how swiftly they had rebuilt the Citadel, and smiled brightly, and even more at Carolina's retort. "I admire your determination, Agent Carolina. You must make Freelancer proud, I think. As for your statement, Agent Washington...yes, it is remarkable. With the advances in technology and magic that have occured over the last six years, almost anything is possible. Director, you may find the architecture quite familiar...does Roam sound familiar? I visited it, and the Roaman Empire, during my travels before the Revolution. An intriguing culture, I must admit...and their style of building took a hold on me." With the call about Applejack, and the Director's snyde comments, she was not in the mood for mockery, and her current emotions made the smile she was displaying turn cold. "...even allies can stray to far and cause problems, Director. Applejack should know about that, but I'm afraid her upbringing sometimes...distracts her...from proper political etiquette."

Grimlock sent a warning glance back at Twilight, causing her to sigh inwardly. Her emotions had been sporadic of late, and she simply could not fully control it. Regardless, she had to perform better. This was a dangerous game they were playing...one wrong move could easily prove to be check-mate. With Carolina's remark about moving on to the conference room, Grimlock sent an approving smirk at the fellow elite soldier. It seems they both wanted this to go smoothly, perhaps more so than their superiors. Then, finally came the Director's mention of his interest in Twilight's reputation, causing the mare to pause and Grimlock to wince slightly. Twilight turned to regard the Director, her violet eyes regarding him quietly, before she responded quietly. "...for the last six years my heart was painted red by anger. That poison of hatred disappeared only recently...take it as you will, Director." Turning her head away from him, she slowly began their march again. At last, they finally arrived at a pair of large obsidian doors, the Federation's hammer and pickaxe symbol on each side. With a silent word, Grimlock pressed her hoof against the obsidian slabs, causing a bright light to radiate from the doors, disappearing as swiftly as it appeared and the entrance opening with the creak of heavy stone. Turning, Grimlock made another bow. "If you all will enter, please? I cannot keep them open for long...powerful magic, and all." Even the mare's voice sounded strained. Twilight nodded and went into the slight gloom, as the white-marble room suddenly lit up with torches of blue flames, revealing a long stone table with padded wooden seats in organized rows. On the walls depicted strange drawing of creatures out of myth and legend, and at the far end stood a picture of several floating crystals, all connected to a single piano-like instrument. This room existed in-between realities; making it the perfect spot to hold a secret meeting. When she found her seat at the end and sat down, she gestured for them to enter. "Come in, come in...make yourselves confortable before my guardsmare suffers magic-influx."

•Rainbow Dash, at the Citadel's East Entrance•

Rainbow was surprised at the initial amount of enthusiasm Applejack had shown at seeing her, and she slightly wished that the mare had actually gone through with the embrace; like old times. However, these weren't the days of their fillyhood...and they probably would never be the same again. However, she was touched at her old friend's concern for her well-being. "Ah, well...I'm glad you did, but I'm fine! Honestly! Just a few scratches...no idiot terrorists are going to take me out that easily! C'mon, I'm the fastest flier in Equestria..." Rainbow smiled slightly at the old joke, but she quickly sobered after seeing Applejack's expression. "...as for Twily, she's got a lot on her plate right now...she has to be 'high and mighty' now. Like it or not, she's a ruler of a nation now, Applejack...and she knows that she needs be the leader everypony expects her to be. You can understand how that is like, can't you?" Sighing, she brushed her rainbow-coloured mane to the side. It had grown out recently, and gave her a more feminine appearance than usual. "Advice? What advice could you want from me?"

As Rainbow Dash listened to Applejack's report on the attack of the RLF convoy, and as she dwelled further and further on, Rainbow's exp<b></b>ression grew ever more grim. When Applejack finished, she grimaced. "Applejack, how long had the Federation and the RLF fought? Surely you and I, of all ponies, know our own faction's greatest strengths and weaknesses. You are trying to transform the RLF into a fully-militarized fighting force, so that it can combat Pierrot's armies on in open battle. That isn't the way to go. Your soldiers are more used to the years of guerilla warfare tactics they used against us...maybe they should use such skills against our new enemies? Leave the open battles to the Federation, Applejack. We're better equipped and have greater experience in such things compared to your faction. The best way I'd use your previous skills is to harry and interrupt the enemy; make them move slower, disperse unnecessarily, and draw even more protection for their supplies, rarher than supplying soldiers to the front. Do you see where I am going with this...?"

Crystal Empire, After Hours Club

The large room was dark and difficult to see in, though there was enough light to make out the shapes in the room. There were many tables, most of which had at least one pony sitting at it. Stallions mostly, a few mares were there as well, but everyone knew that they were just arm candy, possibly not even knowing the stallion they came with. All of them were seated in a way that easily allowed them to look at the stage, the only part of the room that was well lit. The stage was empty save for a microphone stand and a mint green unicorn who was making her way into the spotlight with her golden lyre. Even though she was using the magic to carry the instrument, once reaching the microphone, she stood on her hind legs and held the lyre in her front hooves. A sparkling hazel hand soon appeared in front of the strings with the same timing as an aura of the same colour covered her horn. She wasn't much one for magic, but if it helped with making music, she had tried to master it. The fingers strummed along the strings releasing sweet tones in a slightly upbeat tune, a tune that was perfect for an opening performance. It was enough to get a crowd into it, but not enough to turn off those who weren't wanting to pay attention. As the tune played, the musician's eyes scanned the room. Her eyes took time to adjust before she realized that most of the tables had just two ponies. This was a night for couples, and thus she would play to the crowd.

As the night went on, her music was clearly starting to effect the crowd more than anything they were ordering. Most of the shapes at the tables were getting closer and forming into one blob that was two ponies, while other tables had their occupants making sure they were staying on the opposite side of the other, clearly not looking for anything that the music was relaying. After each song, a few claps could be heard, but they were few and far between. As the time rolled on, the room started to empty out with each couple that left to go find time alone. Soon, there were just a few tables with anyone left, and the crowd was no longer looking for love. With enough time for one last song, the unicorn decided to shift gears. For the first time tonight, she spoke into the mic without any musical backup, [colour=#008000]"Thank you all for staying and listening. My name is Lyra Heartstrings. I think I have enough time for one more song, and since all the love birds have gone to night guard..." [/colour]She strummed the lyre and started stomping a rhythm, the music was much faster and more upbeat. [colour=#008000]"Let's raise our glass to the king of gems[/colour][colour=#008000], and for crystal ponies saved[/colour][colour=#008000], One thousand [/colour][colour=#008000]years of frozen ice, [/colour][colour=#008000]Had trapped us in [/colour][colour=#008000]despair[/colour][colour=#008000], [/colour][colour=#008000]What savior rests while on her star we die, [/colour][colour=#008000]Forgotten freedom burns, [/colour][colour=#008000]Has the hero left her lambs to stray, [/colour][colour=#008000]to the bigot and the spell.[/colour]

[colour=#008000]Must it take our lives for armor's shine, [/colour][colour=#008000]To glisten once again, [/colour][colour=#008000]Cause we'll find our way back home someday, [/colour][colour=#008000]Singin' crystal [/colour][colour=#008000]lullabies.[/colour]

[colour=#008000]I watch and stare as Lesti`s eyes, [/colour][colour=#008000]Turn a darker shade of red, [/colour][colour=#008000]And the spell with this caster lie, [/colour][colour=#008000]In their broken gutless cell, [/colour][colour=#008000]Must we starve on crumbs from long ago, [/colour][colour=#008000]Through these bars of stallion's steel, [/colour][colour=#008000]Is it a great or little thing we fought, [/colour][colour=#008000]Knelt the conscience blessed to skill.[/colour]

[colour=#008000]Must it take our lives for armor's shine, [/colour][colour=#008000]To glisten once again, [/colour][colour=#008000]Cause we'll find our way back home someday, [/colour][colour=#008000]Singin' crystal lullabies.[/colour]

[colour=#008000]Ah, but maybe it`s the way you were taught,[/colour][colour=#008000]Or maybe it`s the way we fought, [/colour][colour=#008000]But a smile never grins without tears to begin, [/colour][colour=#008000]For each kiss is a cry we all lost, [/colour][colour=#008000]Though there is nothing left to gain, [/colour][colour=#008000]But for the banshee that stole the grave, [/colour][colour=#008000]Cause we'll find our way back home someday, [/colour][colour=#008000]Singin' crystal lullabies.[/colour]

[colour=#008000]I sit in and dwell on faces past, [/colour][colour=#008000]Like memories seem to fade, [/colour][colour=#008000]No colour left but black and white, [/colour][colour=#008000]And soon will all turn grey, [/colour][colour=#008000]But may these shadows rise to walk again, [/colour][colour=#008000]With lessons truly learnt, [/colour][colour=#008000]When the blossom flowers in each our hearts, [/colour][colour=#008000]Shall beat a new found flame.[/colour]

[colour=#008000]Must it take our lives for armor's shine, [/colour][colour=#008000]To glisten once again, [/colour][colour=#008000]Cause we'll find our way back home someday, [/colour][colour=#008000]Singin' crystal lullabies,[/colour]

[colour=#008000]Cause we'll find our way back home someday, [/colour][colour=#008000]Singin' crystal lullabies.[/colour]

[colour=#008000]Singin' crystal lullabies"[/colour]

By the end of the song, what remained of the night's crowd was up and clapping along with the beat, before erupting into all out cheering. Lyra raised her voice into the mic so that she could be heard [colour=#008000]"Thank you all! You've been great! And don't forget to get one more for last call!" [/colour]She walked off the stage, and made her way backstage to be greeted by one the waitresses. [colour=#A52A2A]"I see that managed to whip up the room again. Do you like making my job hard?" [/colour]The mare said with a tone of both sarcasm and joking. The mint mare looked at her brown coated and silver maned coworker, matching the tone she received, [colour=#008000]"Of course I do, Tippy. I love it." [/colour]The two of them shared a laugh before the brown crystal pony went back to the floor. With the back room left to just Lyra, she felt it was time to go to her to leave work. Her lyre became surrounded in a hazel aura and floated into its case, before the whole thing floated up and placed itself on the musician's back. Following her normal routine, she left through the kitchen door, mostly to prevent any stalkers. A familiar voice called out to her, [colour=#A52A2A]"Be careful going home!" [/colour]Tippy called out to her. Lyra waved her response before walking out. She never said it out loud, but home wasn't the right thing to call it, as she felt she lost her home long ago.

-[colour=#ff8c00]General Applejack[/colour], within the citadel, Equinia-

Applejack sighed, Rainbow was right. The RLF existed only because of the way they had fought in the revolution, guerrilla warfare was their bread and butter. [colour=#ff8c00]"Your right, your right. Heck, I only authorized the march up north because I wanted to get back at those crystal freaks."[/colour] The general took off her hat, scratching her head. Her mane was frizzy and unkempt, a result of constant sleepless nights from drills, work, or just nightmares. [colour=#ff8c00]"And no offence to the GEF and Freelancer, but it didn't look like neither of you were thinking of mobilizing any time soon."[/colour] She chuckled at her last comment, it seemed she hadn't completely lost her sense of humor yet. A foal was playing in the courtyard far below, and Applejack squinted to watch the young earth-pony. It's coat was a light tan yellow, her mane a cherry red. A large red bow adorned her hair, just like.......... The scene from below caused Applejack to nearly gasp as she snapped her head away from the window, was it her? Or just another pray from her subconscious. The general's mouth began to run dry, and her breath caught in her throat. [colour=#ff8c00]"Hey Rainbow...... I've been meaning to ask you something."[/colour] The question had ached in the back of her mind ever since the blades dropped on the princesses, the day that the revolution was declared successful.

She looked at her friend slowly, not with a look that she would normally wear, but the look of a tired farm-girl who had bucked one too many apple trees in her career. [colour=#ff8c00]"What made you choose to side with Twi..... I mean the Red Fox?" [/colour]Her mind flashed back to the deciding battle in the war, the haunting plains that were once ponyville, the hundreds of corpses that littered the ground, the lifeless husks of the trees that once filled her farm.[colour=#ff8c00] "I mean, I can understand if you did indeed think the princesses were wrong in their ways, but after what she had done, the thousands killed...... What stopped you from making a stand?" [/colour]Applejack found it difficult to keep her mind on the present, but she kept her gaze on Rainbow, it was something she generally had wondered. What had happened to the light-hearted prankster she had once called one of her closest friends? Maybe now she could find out.

•Rainbow Dash, at the Citadel's East Entrance•

"I don't blame the Crystal Empire, Applejack. Odds are, Pierrot's tricked them into believing he's their best choice. Besides, we've no idea how life is in that place anymore...and as for the Freelancers, I've no clue. However, the Federation is moving...where, I can't say because I've been in the infirmary; but still moving." Part of her wanted to blame the Crystal Empire for this new war, but she also knew that another war would probably have occured, even without Pierrot and his ilk. Despite the threat looming over Equestria, the factions were still tense with one another...it was an uneasy alliance, and the future of that alliance was unpredictable. Rainbow noticed the other mare's sudden exp<b></b>ression of shock and peered in that direction, seeing nothing. Looking back in confusion, she heard Applejack's comment. "...you know you can ask me anything, Jackie. The war hasn't changed that."

However, Applejack's question did shock her. Why had she made the decisions she made...? Was she ready to part with such information, knowing what it might entail? Another shock came to her; she was ready to talk about it, if not explain it a little. But...how would Applejack view her after she was finished? Taking a deep breath, she began the long story that would explain everything. "...there was more to it than that. We kept most of the Revolution's tragedies out of most records...there was more than the Great Purges of Stalliongrad and Manehatten. Much more. I joined the rebels after the first of the revolts in Cloudsdale...do you know how they were put down?" She grimaced slightly, pain altering her face. "...the Revolution wasn't so much a war against the Princesses, but more against the corruption of the Principality. Do you know about what they did to the pegasi of those first Cloudsdale revolts? The Governor...he had the soldiers tear off the wings of each protestor and then tossed them off Cloudsdale to plummet to their deaths...do you know what that is like? Seeing your friends, your family, mutilated in front of your eyes and thrown away like dolls?!"

Rainbow Dash took a shuddering breath to ease herself, before continuing again. "After that, I sought out the NEO and joined their ranks. I was in it before there ever was a Red Fox. Even if the Princesses did nothing wrong...how could they simply stand by and let those things happen to their own ponies? The NEO appeared to be the bright new future...for everypony. It wasn't until the first fighting began that the Red Fox came to power, and that was when the 'dream' turned into a nightmare...I still remember the first words I heard from it; "the blood of the many must be spilt, before the blood of the few can survive". None of us could have guessed the intentions behind those words...and none of us could put a stop to it. Applejack...I blame the Red Fox for the awful things that happened, not Twilight. The Twilight we used to know...the Twilight we still know...she would never have done all those horrible things willingly!" She fell silent, her eyes tight from holding back tears. The Red Fox was Twilight...everypony knew that now, but...Rainbow knew, deep in her heart, that her friend had never meant to do the things she had done. Of course, not many could say that. The 'Red Fox' was be stained with the wrongs it had committed, and Twilight was suffering for them. Shaking her head, she continued on, her voice tightening. "...I was relieved when Twilight broke free of her possession, but...I was also frightened. How could she stand it, knowing that she had...you know, and yet couldn't control herself? It must have been Tartarus for her. I...remain with the GEF because I'm worried for Twily. For all I know, she could barely be holding onto her sanity...especially with everything that is going on, now!" Her voice broke at the end, and she sniffled a bit, but refused to shed a tear in front of Applejack. It wouldn't be suitable.

>Citadel Northern Halls, The Director, Agents Carolina and Washington

Agent Carolina was surprised that Twilight complimented her on her determination, "[colour=#40e0d0]Appreciate the compliment ma'am but I'm just here for two things, his safety, and to make sure the negotiations go on without any trouble.[/colour]" Carolina spoke calmly but under the armour she was starting to grow increasingly concerned over how sensitive and delicate this meeting was proving to be, both parties were in a very touchy state which neither would deny. She looked at Grimlock with a sense of unease, they were both loyal to their respective factions but their superiors were playing each other like fire. Agent Washington on the other hand was loving the Roam-inspired GEF architecture, he felt like a school foal being on a field trip. "You've been to Roam? what's it like there? I've always wanted to visit there." He asked enthusiastically as he was quite the enthusiast for the Roaman Empire's culture. Something about their lifestyle fascinated him.

Overhearing Twilight's comment about Applejack, Carolina glanced at Washington who was clearly unfocused and more interested in the structural beauty of the Citadel's architecture. "[colour=#40e0d0]Guess I'm not the only one getting that vibe, huh?[/colour]" muttering in a venomous tone of annoyance at Washington's failure to stay focused. He was a fantastic soldier and crazy accurate marksmen it sometimes scares even her when she thought about it. He was like a brother to her in the dysfunctional family that was the Agents of Freelancer, but sometimes he did get on her nerves. Then as they all entered the conference room Washington and Carolina both were taken aback by the images on the wall, culminated by Carolina and Wash with a simultaneous whistle.

The Director was impressed as well, it must've taken a very large amount of magic to cast to create a reality flux-effect spell like this even for a mare like Twilight. Spotting the table where Twilight sat The Director sat on the opposite end and pushed his glasses back up to his eyes, He then switched into a more serious and cold demeanor as his attempts at being casual and light hearted were over putting his hooves together contemplatively. He nodded to Carolina and Washington signalling them to reveal a briefcase, which they placed in front of the Director and then placed a holographic projector in the center of the table.

"[colour=#a9a9a9]Now then, the reason I and my Freelancer 'associates' have accepted your request. Is because we have hit a setback due to a rogue element of alicorn supporters calling themselves 'The Forgotten Army', or FA for short. They are the ones responsible for the terrorist attacks against your military leadership. The Forgotten Army first came to our attention several months ago, we encountered them, raiding an old abandoned Freelancer facility in the north. It held blueprints for advanced military equipment at the time. And almost enough weapons and resources to wage a decade long guerrilla war, you've fought the RLF for sometime, yet failed to eradicate them. Now imagine them with enough tech, ordnance and munitions to bring down entire battle groups in swift meat grinding hit and run campaigns. These are no run of the mill guerrilla troops, these are battle hardened soldiers. Defected to fight for the Alicorn scourge that has plagued Equestria since the Revolution, Ex-RLF, GEF even rumoured to have a Freelancer traitor or two keeping tabs on our operations. We don't appreciate them being curious and prying into our work in particular.[/colour]" The Director briefed Twilight at first on the rogue Forgotten Army, placing emphasis on their threat against the factions of Equestria. All traces of the casual and playful stallion he was before had disappeared. In place was a ruthlessly efficient Unicorn that reminded Twilight of a spitting image of what she was as the Red Fox. Meanwhile as the Director spoke the projector relayed images and readouts of the various intelligence data gathered on the Forgotten Army.

"[colour=#a9a9a9]What we request; one of our own be inserted into the GEF as a bodyguard for your friend who is head of the GEF military. He will need full access to communications and military networks, in order to effectively locate the main hideout of these...vermin, so we can exterminate them. Also we will need use of an abandoned military research and manufacturing complex located in the southern-most point of Equestria, a project division I've approved of which requires the Complex's facilities. In return for this is a batch of current Freelancer tech only for use in reproduction and distribution to GEF forces on the condition that it's used against the Crystal Empire and it's forces only and must be returned once the conflict is over. Freelancer will assist in creating training programs for GEF forces and help maintain supply lines for the coming war. We are maintaining a strict 'non active interference' policy at this current time in the current stages of the war, until we've gathered enough information or see reason that the Empire is a direct threat to Freelancer. We will not engage them in direct aggressive operations. But we will help support the efforts of those that are fighting the Crystal Empire forces.[/colour]" The Director stated as he continued and then got to discuss what Freelancer needed and was prepared to offer, he still retains the brutal, cold and almost emotionless composure throughout the briefing. Carolina handed Twilight a file of Rainbow Dash's potential new bodyguard before she returned side by side with Washington, the file was only labelled as 'Agent 117' with a stamp indicating 'Hyper-Lethal Vector'. The file it contained everything needed that was relevant to the bodyguard role.

"[colour=#a9a9a9]The Agent in question that I'll be sending, is the best Agent among the Freelancer ranks. His service record, before the final stage of the Revolution says volumes about his loyalty and determination. Also his combat record needs no word from I to say he's simply capable for the job.[/colour]" He was confident in his ace in the hole, the file on Nova to be a key selling point of reassuring Twilight that her friend would be in very safe hands. However after he finished talking he simply waited for her reaction and response patiently. His approach to the meeting was straight to the point treating the scenario in a very business-like approach than the casual sightseeing expedition during the opening moments of the visit.

The Director meant business, he wasn't going to take nonsense from a local who thought of him like a fool to be manipulated like some servant. He and Freelancer had bigger issues to deal with, like dealing with the Forgotten Army. who proved to be both a threat to Equestria and a rather annoying thorn in Freelancer's sides, the GEF's cooperation would help hasten their search, find the roots of the FA and wipe them out quicker than doing it on their own. Which would take longer and giving the FA more chances to attack and sabotage targets all across Equestria, increasing the already high enough body count which would no doubt rise when the Crystal Army comes knocking on Equestria's door like the Grim Reaper.

•Last Evening, Federation Outpost #3617, 150 Miles North of New Manehatten•

A full, silvery-blue moon hung high above the mountains of which surrounded the fertile valley below, the beams of light cascading down and giving the woodlands an eerie appearance. A frigid, icy breeze swept through the area; something very unnatural to those who had spent a long time in the valley. Sergeant Skyborne gazed at the darkened forest, his emerald-coloured eyes peering uneasily into the bizarre mist that was forming on the forest floor. Outpost #3617 was one of many important bases that watched over the mountain passes for invaders, and had the largest garrison by far. However, Skyborne felt as though those numbers meant nothing tonight. Several anomalies had been occuring in their communications within the last few nights; other outposts disappearing and mysterious messages. The entire command was stiff with tension, including himself. Shivering from more than the cold, he drew back from the open window to look at his desk. Several reports lay scattered about, all from separate command posts in the region, but oddly enough the amount seemed lesser than usual. It was at this uneasy thought that a knock sudden sounded from the door. "Come in." Skyborne spoke gruffly as he began to organize the paperwork. For six years, he served the NEO and the Federation, and before that, the Principality for nearly a decade...he was getting too old for this work.

The soldier who trotted into the command room was a young lance-corporal, recently recruited from New Manehatten down south, and whom never had seen real combat before. Skyborne prayed the lad never would, but knew such hopes were futile, especially in times like this. With the rumors of encroaching armies far to the north and even more bizarre stories of ponies 'back from the dead', every soldier here had to stay on his hooves. The young pegasus soldier gave a nervous smile and saluted. "Sergeant Skyborne, sir! I've been requested to join you in patrolling the perimeter, along with two other Privates." Skyborne gave an impatient nod as he gathered his rifle and followed the young lad out, shortly joining the two grunts outside after obtaining his helmet and protective gear. Giving out orders, he led the small squad out down the small, patted-down dirt road that led into the woods. The wary sergeant kept his rifle on hand, his eyes searching every misty nook and cranny hostiles could use to hide themselves.

It wasn't long before the moon had reached it's highest position in the sky when the fog began to grow, seeming as if it were magically conjoured with each passing moment. Suddenly, movement caught his eye further down the dimly-lit dirt path, causing him to raise his rifle at five approaching figures. The other soldiers quickly followed suit as Skyborne studied the intruders, quickly identifying them as Changelings. Were they refugees from the attack on the Royal Hive? Acting cautious, Skyborne took off the safety of his rifle and spoke, loudly and clear, to the small group ahead of him and his squad. "Halt! You are trespassing on Federation property; identify yourselves and stand down, or deadly force will be used against you." When they showed no signs of slowing, the other soldiers also turned off their safeties and Skyborne growled and called out once more. "I said freeze, intruders! Stop, or we will shoot!" When no reply came and they gave no indication of listening to him, Skyborne narrowed his eyes and fired off a round at one of the approaching changelings, taking the center creature right between the eyes. Suddenly, the whole group stopped while the center changeling stood still, it's head thrown back by the sheer strength of the bullet. Slowly, the changeling's head returned to it's standard position, it's green eyes turning red and a crooked smile spreading across it's face, as the bullet that had penetrated it's head began to ooze out of the impact wound, the injury appearing to be knotting itself together as if it had never happened. Skyborne's eyes widened in horror as the other changelings suddenly grew similar wicked expressions, and in a blink of an eye...they charged. Out of fear and anger, he began firing multiple rounds from his gun while his squad followed suit, their bullets doing nothing to the monsters except making small holes. When the changelings were finally upon them, one of the creatures took out a wicked, curved black blade and completely decapitated the young lance-corporal beside him. Just as quickly, another of his squad fell from a well-placed blow to the side of his head, falling down like a heavy stone. Trying to draw back, Skyborne and his last squadmate tried to keep the horrors at bay, and just as Skyborne saw the last Private become completely dismembered by one of the changelings, he felt an incredible wave of pain in his side as his vision darkened, the bright moon in the sky the last light he'd see before falling unconscious.

•A Few Hours Later, Federation Outpost #3617, 150 Miles North of New Manehatten•

Skyborne awoke to find himself tied to one of the uncomfortable wooden chairs that had once belonged in the command's conference room, his mouth gagged and his eyes blurry. As he slowly regained his vision, he'd notice two of the...'changelings'...standing a little bit away from him, their red eyes staring intently at him. He also noticed another pair of soldiers who had been similarly captured and bound, their young eyes wide with fear as they glanced about the room nervously. With a face as blank as stone, one of the changelings approached him and removed the gag. This close, he began to pick up slight differences in them that he hadn't noticed before. They seemed...darker...than the average changeling, and they wore dark armor that looked very similar to their carapaces, as well as bearing an odd but familiar symbol on their shoulders and torsos. Where had he seen that marking before...? During the Revolution? Gently working his sore mouth, he attempted to speak with his 'captors'. "...What are you? Why have you attacked this base? Are you defectors from your Hives...?" The changelings did not respond, simply eyeing him with those cold red orbs. However, they suddenly parted and knelt at the direction of the conference room's entrance as a shadow-enshrouded figure entered.

Wrapped completely in armor as black as night, one could obviously tell by the style that the wearer was a pony, but upon further inspection...Skyborne stiffled a gasp. This dark-plated warrior standing before him and his fellows was an Alicorn...so that meant these were members of the Crystal Empire. Also, he noticed that this Alicorn bore the same markings as the changelings, but had the emblems on it's cloak and torso-plate. The Alicorn came within a meer foot of him, glaring at him through fiery crimson eyes, before moving on and doing the same with the other two soldiers at his side. Suddenly, the armored Alicorn spoke to him, answering his questions in a husky but most-assuredly feminine voice. "...we are Chevaliers. Reborn to serve our mistress by any means necessary...and you, and these two young ones, have been chosen. However...not all of you may survive our 'choosing'." That voice...where had heard it before? It itched in the back of his mind, as if he should remember it, but couldn't. "What do you mean 'choosing'? What do you plan to do with us?" It was difficult to remain calm, but he had no other choice; somepony had to remain stalwart for the two whelps next to him. Not even bothering to answer, the mysterious Alicorn approached the soldier farthest from him and levitated a silver goblet, filled with a dark, thick liquid which appeared eerily similar to blood in the dim lighting of the room.

(Continued from last post.)

Quickly tearing off the soldier's gag, the Alicorn began to forcefully pour the dark liquid down the poor young lad's throat, drawing back as the soldier choked slightly and spit some of it up. At first, nothing happened, then suddenly the stallion began to let out an agonized scream, thrashing against his bonds as his eyes rolled to the back of his head and his muscles bulging from tension. After several minutes of the horrible scene, the stallion fell quiet finally, his eyes staring blankly at the ceiling and his chest unmoving. Skyborne gritted his teeth and snapped angrily at his captor. "Is this what you plan to do? Poison us?! Well, I'll promise you that, when this is over, I'll. See you in Tartarus and-!" He felt a blow to his jaw, discontinuing his sentence and sending a ring to his ears. The changeling at his side scowled, apparently disapproving of Skyborne's reaction.

Next came the colt-like Private from earlier, desperately trying to shy away from the Alicorn and the poison-filled goblet, but unable to stop the foul liquid being dumped into his mouth. The effect it had on him was much less dramatic, his body convulsing in several muscles and his mouth opened in a silent shriek. After another few minutes, he too went limp...but at least he still breathed, though it seemed to grow weaker with each passing moment. With a nod from the Alicorn, the second changeling untied the other soldier's bonds and gingerly carried him away from the room, as if straddling a newborn foal. When the armored mare stood before him, a tingle of fear washed through his body. Was this how he would die? Was this how his service would end? His thoughts caught off abruptly to meet his gapping jaw when the Alicorn removed her helmet. The Alicorn that stood before him...was none other than the deceased Princess Luna. A gentle smile grew on Luna's face as she brought the goblet near. "...I have a feeling you will be a special one. So, you will have the honor of seeing the one who changed you, and gave you a new life...embrace it, and sleep tenderly, future Child of Misery."

Unable to do anything, all Skyborne could do was feel the vile, copper-tasting liquid surge down his throat. The effects did not occur immediately, and after a while he began to wonder if he would. Then, as sudden as a flash of lightning, pain like which he had never felt before blazed through his entire body, setting fire to his insides and skin. His eyes felt like they were being dug out, his hooves being pulled from his feet, and his teeth ripping from his gums. The agony went on forever, and he could hear screaming in a far off void; his own screaming, he realized. When it finally ended, he felt his life being drained out of him, his lungs losing the capacity to draw air. However, in the corner of his mind, he heard a song; sung by a voice that sounded as though it belonged to a siren, and he felt a peace closing slowly on him...and as his world darkened and his consciousness slid away, he heard the beautiful voice speak to him, a lady's words reverberating through his head. "...welcome, my dear child. Welcome...my Chevalier." A smile grew across his face as his last breath was drawn from his body, and the warmth forever taken from it.

-[colour=#ff8c00]General Applejack[/colour], within the citadel, Equinia-

The mare hadn't expected her friend to answer, but when she did, she listened intently as Dash recited the tragic story of Cloudsdale. Gods, if she had known of what happened to her friend......... [colour=#ff8c00]"Rainbow..... I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have asked."[/colour] One part of her story stuck out though. It was almost like a hollow peace for her friend, she had seen her family murdered. Applejack had to live with the fact that she didn't know what had happened to her, whether she had died or lived. Resentment burned, until she realised what she was thinking, her eyes widening in horror. How could she.... The thought of what she had nearly said..... It made her sick, it made her disgusted at herself, how far would one have to drop to even think that? A thought struck her, was this what it was like for Free in his final days? Despising everyone around him, they had families, possessions, he had nothing. But also hating himself for even thinking that about his closest, his only friends. She shook her head, but it done nothing to dislodge the complex of conflicting thoughts in her head.

Applejack suddenly became aware that her friend was still stood next to her, and by the looks of it, close to tears. It seemed like a common thing nowadays, ponies clutching each other for support that rarely could be spared. [colour=#ff8c00]"Come'ere sugar cube."[/colour] Applejack whispered sincerely, bringing her friend into a tight hug, also holding back tears. She spoke in a quiet, sincere tone, the same one she had used to put........ her....... to bed after nightmares. [colour=#ff8c00]"You listen here. Twilight is an amazing mare who can handle anything tartarus can throw at her, so don't you worry. We both, we all know her better than that, whatever happened to her...... It's in the past."[/colour] She paused for a moment, sniffling as she took in her breath, fiercely fighting the temptation to let herself break down. But when she opened her eyes again, she wasn't facing Rainbow Dash. She was in a fire-lit living room, where the sounds of sobbing permeated the air. She looked down, at a small, sniffling bundle, curled up in her embrace. The bundle was orange in colour, with her yellow mane in little pigtails with neat red bows in them. This poor little foal had just recently lost her mother. She looked up at her, tears in her large eyes. The green mare smiled lovingly, but stayed silent. Applejack understood what she had meant now. Sometimes, silence really was the best answer to a question. She stayed silent as she embraced her friend, patting her back and stroking her rainbow-coloured mane.

•Within the Chamber of the White, in the New Citadel of Equinia•

Twilight listened intently as the Director began his speech, glancing at Carolina as the agent placed the holographic projector on the table. Grimlock entered the room as well as the obsidian doors closed behind her, making a dull thud. As the Director continued to brief Twilight on this 'Forgotten Army' that had comitted the terrorist attacks, she grew more and more concerned. However, her concern wasn't about the Forgotten Army...it was directed at the Freelancers in front of her. Without a doubt, the Director was holding back some of the information on this new threat...which also meant that he believed he was in the dominant position of these negotiations. Perhaps he was, but she was not going to simply hand him what he wanted out of her and the Federation...she knew better than that. His admission to defectors even amongst his own ranks made her smile inwardly; Freelancer wasn't the fanatical powerhouse it seemed, then. There were cracks in their structure...fissures that could be exploited, no matter how small.

Next came his 'proposal' of sparing his best agent as a bodyguard, in exchange for tactical information and free reign for the agent who was employed. That...was almost insulting. Did the Director think she would simply agree to those terms, out of fear for her friend? He was bold; she would give him that, at least. When Carolina handed her Agent 117's file, Twilight scanned through it quickly, picking out the important information before setting it down. So...the Director was handing her the Everfree Demon? Quite the dangerous gambit. Despite the several advantages that Freelancer resources would give to the GEF, she knew she could not fully agree to these terms. With an expression equally as cold as the Director's, she made her own terms public. "In exchange for your best agent and Freelancer assistance, you want full cooperation from the Federation and free reign given to your in-service agent. You drive a hard bargain...but I will agree; that is, under these terms. While Agent 117 is under Federation employment, he will have access to our deepest military channels...however, he will not be allowed to contact any Freelancer agent or spy by any means, except through myself or Chancellor Rainbow Dash. All the information he passes on to you will be evaluated by either of us, and one of us must be present during such proceedings. These procautions are completely necessary; as you have stated, some of your agents may be turn-coats...so how will we know whether our important information will not fall into enemy hooves? I hate to be so suspicious of an ally...but these times call for such actions. If your chosen agent steps around my terms by any means, all Freelancer activities in Federation-owned areas will be targeted and labeled as dangers to the state of Equestria, and the Complex will be shut down...by any means necessary. Do we have an agreement...Director?" This was it. If he refuses, then nothing more could be done. If he accepts...both sides will gain numerous advantages.

-Valour Bound, 4 days ago, Frozen Wastes-

She watched as the last light faded from the young stallions' eyes; he died swiftly upon her blade, there was no shame in it. [colour=#99ffcc]"Hush now little sheep,"[/colour] Valour cooed soothingly as she closed the sentry's eyes, [colour=#99ffcc]"you died well."[/colour] She let the soldiers corpse drop slowly as she freed her slender curved blade. She signaled to her squadron lurking in the darkness with a hoof before continueing her advance on the small camp. They had chosen a good place for their camp, nestled into an outcropping of large rocks.

Valour wondered why such a small group of enemies had come this far north; most likely they were scouts. Perhaps they were lost she mused, she would lead them to the proper path. The last sentry stood in sight; a tall well muscled stallion of deep brown, an impressive looking soldier but a sheep nonetheless. She crept up on the stallion quietly. He spun just as she reached him, raising his weapon to fire! Banner Captain Valour batted aside the barrel just as it fired; the sound echoing across the wastes, with a precise sweep that led into lunge. The stallions' eyes looked upon the beautiful glimmering mare who had killed him until he faded. The camp rose to alert, stealth was now out of the question. "To arms Brothers and Sisters," Valour ordered, "Take the sheep before they rouse fully, let none escape!"

-Crystal Empire, After Hours Club-

Valour snapped from her memory to the present, she reached for her blade reflexively but found her hoof lacking a hilt to grasp. A brown mare stood by her, [colour=#663300]"Ma'am are you alright?"[/colour] She asked Val. Val nodded in answer.[colour=#8b4513] "Can I get you anything then?" [/colour]The waitress asked.

Val answered with a kind smile, [colour=#99ffcc]"No dear sister I need for naught, but I thank thee for offering."[/colour] Tippy walked off without another word. Val listened to the minty mare on stage silently as she reflected on recent events as well as what was to come. Her platoon was to march south with supplies and munitions for the coming battle. A tedious but necassary job.

(Continued)\

Val was again pulled forcibly from her thoughts as the music changed in tempo and pace. Her ears perked up at the sound as her attention was forced to the minty mare; whom had introduced herself as, Lyra Hearstrings. The mare began to sing and with the words her sould seemed to pour forth like an overwhelming flood, [colour=#008000]"Let's raise our glass to the king of gems[/colour][colour=#008000], and for crystal ponies saved[/colour][colour=#008000], One thousand [/colour][colour=#008000]years of frozen ice, [/colour][colour=#008000]Had trapped us in [/colour][colour=#008000]despair[/colour][colour=#008000], [/colour][colour=#008000]What savior rests while on her star we die, [/colour][colour=#008000]Forgotten freedom burns, [/colour][colour=#008000]Has the hero left her lambs to stray, [/colour][colour=#008000]to the bigot and the spell." [/colour]

Val listened, her hoof tapping to the beat as the song built to a deafining roar, as the entire place stomped or clapped along. When finally the song ended Valour rose to her hooves to cheer for the talented mare. She felt afire with determination once more. No visions of dying young stallions swam about her mind. It was time for action!

•Rainbow Dash, at the New Citadel's East Entrance•

She did not want the other mare's apology; there was nothing to apologize for. The past was the past...but why couldn't she push away the pain that was whelling up deep inside herself? She could feel unshed tears growing at the corners of her eyes, as well as her body quivering slightly from holding everything in. She heard Applejack murmur something she didn't quite catch, and then the most bizarre thing happened; the other mare began hugging he, an embrace both tight and emotional. Rainbow's eyes widened for a moment before she returned the hug, hiding her face in the other pony's mane as the tears began to flow unrestricted, her sobs muffled. "...I'm so weak, Jackie...I-I couldn't protect them...my family...Ponyville...all. those innocent lives...there was nothing I could do! It's my fault...all my fault."

•Five years ago, at the ruins of Ponyville after Operation Crimson Thunder•

Rainbow stared sullenly at the ash-covered town center from behind her helmet, her eyes searching for any signs of life amongst the torn down buildings. Only mere remnants remained of the once-beautiful place, a pity it would never be the same again. She no longer felt the way she once had for this place; the Revolution had dulled her feelings and shriveled her heart. Turning her head, she gazed at eight other NEO soldiers who bore the same disheartened faces as she did. Now should be a time for celebration; the war was almost over, the tyranical Principality almost demolished, and yet...why did they feel this way, as though a part of them had been ripped out? No answer could. Be given. Movement caught her eye in the rubble of City Hall, making Rainbow unstrap her rifle and order her soldiers to fan out. Approaching the place where she had seen motion.

Upon further examination, she saw a mare's body hidden under some fallen scaffolding. Putting her rifle aside and pushing the rubble off the mare, she was surprised to see the former Mayor laying there, still breathing and in pain. The elder pony lifted her head and looked at her, recognizing her after a moment. "...Rainbow Dash? I...I never expected you...I feel, cold." Studying the Mayor, Rainbow could tell that many of her organs had most likely ruptured, and that she would not live long. The least she could do was ease the other mare's suffering. Taking her rifle, she lowered the barrel to the dying Mayor's head and whispered calmly, soothingly. "...I will be your wings to peace...no longer must you suffer." That had become the Order's farewell to those who have died or were dying...it seemed fitting, here of all places. Pulling the trigger, her shot rang out into the dark gray sky above. Turning away and trotting out of the ruined City Hall, she turned on her communicator and spoke clearly. "Lady Red, this is Alpha-247. Ponyville has been scoured...there were no survivors." After a brief delay, a darkly-sounding voice responded, wry and cold. "That is a shame...return to Command. It is time this war is ended." Muttering confirmation, Rainbow turned off the communicator and ordered her soldiers to fall back. Glancing back one more time, Rainbow resolved herself to never return again.

•Present Day, at the New Citadel's East Entrance•

Drawing herself away from the memory, Rainbow Dash pulled herself away from Applejack gently, wiping her tears away and taking a deep breath. "...thank you, Jackie...I needed that."

>Within the Chamber of the White - The Director, Agents Carolina and Washington

The Director smirked coldly as Twilight made a counter-proposal, maybe she was a worthy ally to be trusted after all or maybe not. He could not say for sure but one thing was certain, she was quite the intelligent businessmare as she could tell how almost one-sided his initial proposal was. However despite his cold calculating and decisive demeanor rose a subtle anger, anger that has been buried for six long years. He was negotiating with the one who effectively killed someone close to him, someone who meant the world to him and was snuffed like a candle flame being blown out. The Director continued to listen intently, keeping his inner thoughts in check to avoid giving his opponent the satisfaction of the upper hand because of an emotional response. As Twilight finished her counter-proposal the Director considered it for a moment before he countered by addressing some of her concerns that telling from her proposal were evident and began to address them with a facade of calm and calculated approach.

"[colour=#a9a9a9]Your concerns are understandable, but unnecessary. We are uninterested in interfering with Federal and inter-faction politics. Unless of course, you want more blood and a higher body count on your hands then you do at the moment. To ensure the information is secured and in the right hooves it will be sent directly to me. Through established direct links to my information networks, the intelligence information and reports will be compiled, sorted and organized by my assistant, ''F.I.L.S.S". Yours and your Chancellor's approval will be authorized as an additional formality, but if abuse or tampering of this becomes evident then let's say repercussions will hinder your cause. I do not suffer fools lightly, aside from that the agent will carry out his mission to the letter, but it would be advisable to warn your political staff first of his arrival. Any information of this must not be made public, otherwise the enemy will know of our intent and disappear from our sights[/colour][colour=#a9a9a9]. You and I don't want that. The Freelancer traitor will be cornered, caught and made an example soon enough, we've already begun narrowing down and homing in on potential suspects and thinking that your spies have a shot inside Freelancer will not be a wise move just in case you were plannning on that. Just for the record, you have you're own war to fight and we have ours and this mutual cooperation agreement is . We're in agreement and if links between the Forgotten Army and the Crystal Empire are confirmed, we will join your's and the Equestrian Federation's allies cause against the Alicorn-led threat.[/colour]" The Director addressed Twilight's concerns directly, however even going so far as deconstructing some ideas he no doubt anticipated she was planning. Even though he respected her leadership skills and abilities as a competent leader of the federation, he knew she was planning on trying to undermine Freelancer operations. It was basic warfare logic that any competent military commander knew, to exploit your foe's weaknesses to gain the upper hand in a fight.

The Director reiterated his proposal to ensure that Twilight knew the score, Freelancer had no interest in meddling with petty politics of bickering state representatives and would stay out of the GEF's affairs if it didn't get in the way of their mission. He was withholding information, irrelevant here and something Twilight did not need to know. At least not yet anyway, even as they spoke resources and assets were being organized and gathered, the military intelligence arm of the organization relentlessly hunted down every lead they had on the FA focussing their efforts on this new threat in hopes of containing and crushing it before it causes more mayhem, yet keeping tabs on Crystal Army movements for the possible eventuality that the two were possibly linked.

However for now, this uneasy alliance will have to do until further notice. Whether they wanted this or not, Freelancer had become more integrated in the current flow of events and the other Equestrian factions now knew Freelancer's presence. Mysteriously operating from behind the scenes, but one advantage was that their enemies and the general public still had no idea they even existed. But for how long will their shroud of secrecy last until they were discovered? The Director mused and invested thought into this, there was no going back now and he, Carolina and Washington knew it.

>Freelancer HQ, Agents New York, North and South Dakota

[colour=#282828]Freelancer Agent York was walking casually to the cafeteria hoping to catch some breakfast and a cup of coffee, he needed one after spending the night covering for Agent North Dakota who had to tend to an incident involving his sister South Dakota [/colour][colour=#282828]and a training match with another agent,[/colour][colour=#282828]. A laid back and rather social kind of pony, he was one of the more likable of the Freelancer Agents. Unlike the more serious and admittedly psychotic agents who kinda gave him an uneasy feeling, York seemed like your average pony excluding the training and enhancements which enabled him to use Freelancer armour and equipment. Passing squads of armoured Freelancer troopers they briefly waved and said hi to him, some even exchanging some minute-long conversations with various topics like sports and news on the mainland to York before disappearing off somewhere else.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]As York entered the cafeteria, retrieving some breakfast and coffee he spotted the twin Dakota agents sitting by a table near the observation window. South wore an ice bag on her head as she still bore some of the injuries, North was taking care of her tentatively in his nurturing kind-hearted way. "[/colour][colour=#DAA520]Hey North, South what's up? Mind if I sit with ya?[/colour][colour=#282828]" He asked lightly while sitting down by them on the table. "[/colour][colour=#800080]Hmm? Oh hi York, sure have a seat. Just watching out for South here. She tried to take on Maine again. And you can see what happened.[/colour][colour=#282828]" North responded greeting York calmly while tending to South's injuries, her mane was still matted and unkempt after the match as well as bruising and some stitched up gashes that appeared on her facial features. "[/colour][colour=#DAA520]Maine? well South, it's your funeral. That guy is like a Manticore in pony form! And you thought 'Hey I know I'll go pick a fight with him! what could possibly go wrong?'[/colour][colour=#282828]" York remarked jokingly snickering at South's expense who gave him a pouting glare. "[/colour][colour=#DDA0DD]Hey I'd love to see you try and take him on. why not go pat him on the head? I hear he likes it.[/colour][colour=#282828]" South bitterly shot back at the snide tan coloured pony, then immediately afterwards she recoiled in pain as she felt another sharp headache ignite in her head no doubt a side effect from one of the attacks Maine landed on her during the fight.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]"[/colour][colour=#DDA0DD]Son of a- That hurts like a motherfu-![/colour][colour=#282828]" South complained as the ice bag gave her a literal case of brainfreeze despite it was helping the pain ease up. "[/colour][colour=#800080]Keep that there South, it's helping the pain go away.[/colour][colour=#282828]" North urged South concerned for her state of health while holding the ice in place, "[/colour][colour=#DAA520]Say have either of you seen 'Lina or Wash around here somewhere?[/colour][colour=#282828]" York asked them both curiously while taking a bite of toast from his half eaten breakfast. "[/colour][colour=#800080]Yeah, they said they were heading to the mainland with the Director to some meeting in Equina, why?[/colour][colour=#282828]" North replied ponderously remembering a conversation he had earlier with Carolina which he found curious, but told by Carolina 'to not worry about it.'.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]"[/colour][colour=#DAA520]I was gonna invite them and you to a round of drinks at Equina...Wait they're in the mainland with the Director? and that's not suspicious whatsoever to you two?[/colour][colour=#282828]" York questioned them both raising an eyebrow at them, "[/colour][colour=#800080]Yeah it does actually, mind you I guess it must've had something to do with what's going on in the Northern mainland and the Forgotten Army...You've heard about those intel reports, right York?[/colour][colour=#282828]" North gave an uneasy look at York, theorizing about the reason for the Director, Carolina and Washington's visit. "[/colour][colour=#DAA520]About ponies rising from the dead and attacking the living? As much as the word is cliched but Zombie-ponies? heh, what's next? 30ft tall mechs with firepower to wipe out city blocks or something?[/colour][colour=#282828]" York comically making zombie like faces and gestures in a mocking manner which made even South smirk in amusement.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]"[/colour][colour=#800080]To be honest that does sound a little too weird to be believable, but at this point and what we've been up to I would be surprised to say the least.[/colour][colour=#282828]" North muttered busily tending to South who still looked in a lot of pain, "[/colour][colour=#DDA0DD]Yeah well, I got my flank handed to me by a fething giant go figure![/colour][colour=#282828]" South uttered venomously with her pride barely intact, "[/colour][colour=#DAA520]I still need to payback Virginia for last week's drinks, I forgot to repay her...[/colour][colour=#282828]" York muttered reserved, he reminded himself of what kind of happened last week. His memory was still hazy and couldn't remember what happened, mostly which ended up with him and Carolina hilariously passed out in her quarters hungover as heck while the others safely returned to their respective living quarters. It was a fun night though for letting off steam and just having some much needed stress relief from their jobs as Freelancers. It was something of a weekly tradition where Freelancer Agents head to the mainland and party, have fun and drink. although recently there was a steady rise in Agents too dangerous to go out, but that didn't stop the main bunch of Agents from partying and letting off steam every so often. In fact, that was how York met Carolina in the first place years ago in a club at Las Pegasus. York remembered that night very fondly because of meeti[/colour][colour=#282828]ng her... [/colour]

-Sergeant Cryie, The frozen wastes, near ruins of royal changeling hive-

In the forest outside the base, a single Chevelier stalked her prey. The lone survivor of the attack, the lone Pegasus was injured and alone and the Chevlier wanted to play her little game. Stalking the Pegasus silently, keeping herself hidden among the ice, she followed for several minutes before making her move, her mind ablaze with ideas of ways to torment the Pegasus and get what she wanted.

Flaring her wings, no longer the feathered ones she had been born with, but her artificial bat-like wings where more then capable of doing what her old wings could. Taking off, the white mare flew up and landed quickly in front of her target, her prey, her victum. Smiling viciously and shaking her head slightly, her grey mane moved to show her eyes, the left being ruby red, and the other almost midnight black.

[colour=#ff0000]“Talk about the spider catching the fly…You have walked right into my web. Don’t try run little pony, you have no idea what I’m capable off…What a Chevalier as powerful as me can do to a weak pony like you…..[/colour][colour=#008000]”[/colour] She took a step forwards, bringing out a dagger and pointing it menacingly at the mare, who, from her point of view, in no situation to flee, mostly due to the injured wing.

She kept slowly walking forwards, enjoying the look of fear she thought she could see. [colour=#ff0000]“Now, little pony, killing you now wouldn’t be fun. So, I’m willing to offer you a deal…”[/colour] The white mare was almost right in the other Pegasus’s face, with her dagger ready to go inside the mare should she try arm herself [colour=#ff0000]“Tell me what you know about the Freelancer Project, the one with agents that do a lot of work. And, don’t lie to me. I won’t like you lying to me…And, if I’m satisfied with my answer, you’ll be a free bird…”[/colour] Continuing her vicious smile, she kept her dagger in position, a two second thrust away from the next of her prey.

•Agent Virginia 'Applebloom', Freelancer HQ•

"Stand by. Training simulation discontinued. Proceed out of the holographic deck, Agent Virginia. Efficiency score: 97%. Combat skill score: 99%. Firearm accuracy score: 92%. Aerial combat score: 100%. Aerial piloting score: 100%. Over all score: 97.6%. Well done, Agent Virginia. Sending results to central command for evaluation."

Applebloom hardly listened to the automated voice module that ran the Training Simulation Chamber, her anger flaring at intense levels. Her glare should have melted a hole right through the metal walls surrounding her. Curse it all! The Accuracy rating foiled her score again...! She needed more practice; that 8% of inaccuracy might cost the lives of herself and others...she needed to get better. Hefting the simulation rifle over her shoulder, she approached the chamber's exit with a sullen exp<b></b>ression. Applebloom had barely broken a sweat over the exercise in the flight portions, but she knew she was losing her touch in standard combat. Was it because of a lack of training? No; certainly not. Maybe it was due to her long periods as a pilot...it was making her become rusty as a foot soldier. Grimacing, she punched the metal-covered interior of the holo-deck before leaving the chamber fully, leaving a slight dent in the wall. As she began to remove the simulation gear, she began to have soothing thoughts. She was still young; very young, compared to most of the agents here. Only little more than an older filly...so she still had room to grow. Despite the comfort that notion brought her, she still felt as though she needed to work harder. After stripping off the restrictive holo-suit and taking a quick rinse in the washrooms outside of the simulation room, she dried off and put on her standard Agent's uniform.

She had only been an Agent for a few months, but already she was being accepted as a member of the admittedly-dysfunctional Freelancer family; it was bizarre for an organization such as Freelancer to take in a rival agent of another agency...but Applebloom knew the reason why. She was a leverage; a valuable piece of information on the Federation and a tool to use in case Freelancer needed to deal with the Royal Liberation Front...which was now led by her elder sister, Applejack. She knew she was a pawn...but at least they treated her as one of their own, for now. Her stomach growled slightly, causing her cheeks to redden. Well...it's about time to head down to the galley for some grub. Placing her used simulation gear with the other need-to-be-washed suits in the corner, she trotted out and made her way toward the mess hall. Maybe her friends will be there this morning.

As she entered the cafeteria, she spotted the small group of fellow Agents that she usually spent time with; York, and the two twin Dakotas. She considered going over there, but her stomach growled again and she smiled slightly. First, she had better fix this problem. Making her way toward the serving tables, she was greeted by many of the lower-ranked agents and soldiers who were also eating breakfast this morning. Applebloom smiled and gave her own 'hellos'...it took a bit to get the food she desperately wanted. After finishing the typical morning conversations, she rushed over to the food counters and picked out the food she wanted; pancakes, buttered toast, and a couple of oranges. The enticing smell wafting off the freshly-cooked meal made her stomach growl once more, and she quickly cut through the tables and other agents as she made her way to her fellows. Upon arriving, she noticed South's wounds and made a playful wince. "...ouch. Maine, again?" Not even waiting for the other mare's response, she sat down and began to peel back an orange. "I tell ya, South; you pick more fights than a drunkard...but then again, you are a drunkard sometimes, aren't ya?" She smiled behind chewing a slice of orange, a knowing gleam in her red-gold eyes.

More often than not, Applebloom was often the chauffeur for her elder compatriots here when they went out to clubs and parties on the mainland. Due to her being under-aged, she wasn't allowed to drink; she didn't mind it, of course...seeing the older agents stumble and slur was always worth flying or driving them back and forth. Why, just last week, York and another Agent, Carolina, had passed out drunk in her room! That...was just funny. "Hey York; I hope y'all don't have anythin' planned tonight. Cuz' I'm goin' to cash in on that money y'all owe me from the last getaway we had. I actually plan on headin' out in-land to visit an old friend in New Manehatten...figured I would go see her before this crazy war begins." It wasn't the whole truth; the pony she wanted to see was her cousin, Babs Seed; the only one out of the whole Apple family who even knew or cared that Applebloom was still alive. Her cousin knew nothing about Freelancer; most of the general public didn't. When out on her mainland trips, Applebloom often pretended to be a Federation inspector; she still had the authorized I.D. and papers. Taking a bite out of her pancakes, she waited for the other agents' responses.

•Twilight Sparkle, in the Chamber of White, at the New Citadel of Equinia•

The Director had her in a vice; this was getting nowhere, and was becoming excessively more and more dangerous by the minute. One wrong move, and Freelancer would become even more unchecked than it currently was; she had to play the last of her cards right, if she had any hopes of getting what she had truly wanted. "...very well, Director. I understand. I will comply, as I hope you will as well." As if on queue, Grimlock approached the table with a document detailing the many articles associated with the agreement between the two factions, and at the bottom was the lines where their signatures were to be placed. "...just, one more slight detail. A couple months ago, one of my Shade Corps agents disappeared when hunting down the...bandits...that raided one of our research facilities. We have reason to believe that she was captured, and possibly executed. However, I know better than that." Twilight leaned forward slightly, her violet eyes bright with a mysterious light. Now was the time to get back what she needed. "Her name is Applebloom...if you can find her and bring her back, I will supply you with information on the Goliath...information known only by myself." Even Grimlock eyed Twilight oddly when she made her request. Why would one former agent be worth so much? Grimlock knew little of the Goliath herself, beyond the fact that it was some mechanism that Pierrot was desperately searching for.

-[colour=#FF8C00]General Applejack[/colour], within the walls of the citadel-

Applejack smiled softly as her friend slowly broke the embrace. [colour=#FF8C00]"No problem Dash." [/colour]She had needed that, the weight she had been carrying on her shoulders had been lifted, she in fact felt quite happy. Feeling her comm buzz, she let it ring for a second, before picking it up. [colour=#FF8C00]"Applejack here, what is it? ............. Yes, i'll be right there.[/colour][colour=#FF8C00]"[/colour] The general huffed, frowning slightly at her friend. [colour=#FF8C00]"Listen Rainbow, I've got to take this."[/colour] She pulled out the spare communicator in her pocket, tossing it to her friend. [colour=#FF8C00]"If you ever need me, just press the button and say the words, 'apples in the orchard.'"[/colour] She smiled, drawing the pegasus into another, albeit quick hug, before breaking and taking a few steps towards the exit. [colour=#FF8C00]"I'll see you later, tell Twily I said hi." [/colour] With that, Applejack left the citadel, her two guards trailing not far behind.

-[colour=#800080]2nd Lieutenant Lavender Bloom[/colour], unknown location of the frozen wastes-

Lavender watched her breath curl in the blizzard, following the small blinking arrow on her hoof display. She took her helmet off again, she couldn't stand the thing. Light was non-existent on the snowy plain, and Lavender could only see a few feet in front of herself, thanks to the built in light on her armour. Each snowflake that hit her wing felt like liquid fire, and she began to feel hazy as the agony continued, even with the bandage covering her charred wing. Shaking her head and focusing on the snow ahead of her, Lavender began to daydream again. This time it was blurred, and all she could make out was a hissing static. She didn't mind the noise though, it actually helped with the pain from her wing a bit. Eventually though, her legs began to give, and she fell to the icy ground. Was this it? She rolled onto her back before sitting up, no of course not.[colour=#800080]"Ain't no rest for the wicked." [/colour]Lavender whispered to herself, shaking her head again. Something wasn't right though, her daydream, there had been the almost inaudible sound of hoofsteps on snow in the background of the static.

Almost coincidentally her answer arrived, as something landed on the ground a few steps in front of her. A pony's figure emerged from the shadow, and out stepped a pegasus with one eye red, another a haunting midnight black. It taunted her, which wouldn't have scared her at first, if not for the fact that she announced that she was a chevalier. Lavender's eyes widened as she said this, trying to hide her fearful expression with a silent glare. The chevalier took a step towards her, pulling out a wickedly edged dagger. By now she would have bolted, but when she tried to take off, she winced as her bandages were torn off, exposing her burnt wing to the flesh biting cold. The chevalier inched closer, and now she was directly in front of her. One thrust from that dagger and that would be it for the wounded mare. At the last second before Lavender was sure she would strike, the mare spoke, telling her she would let her go if she told her about the Freelancer organisation. Freelancer....... Lavender racked her brains for anything regarding the mysterious group. Trained, augmented and armoured agents, weapons that were years ahead of anything the other two factions could muster. She slowed her breathing, deciding that she would rather die than help this despicable creature. With a well placed blow and a bit of luck, she might be able to knock the knife from the mare's hand and draw her own. A bit of luck. Gods, even Free would have trouble pulling this one off.

Taking another couple of steps backwards, she faked a shocked-with-fear expression, hoping the Chevalier would take the bait. A few more steps...... Yes, now was her chance. Exhaling slowly, she swiftly flung her hoof sideways, attempting to knock the blade from the undead hands of the Chevalier.