Fire and Ice (Finished)

Lux

The train pulled into the Ponyville station, letting out a cloud of steam. As it shuddered to a halt and the ponies began to depart. a red unicorn with an orange mane and tail stepped out onto the platform.

"Hello Ponyville," she said as she made her way into town.

The older filly passed through the bustling streets, looking around to drink everything she could in. The town was definitely not as big or busy as Canterlot. It did have its own little charm of small buildings and shops. She passed by the school, a strange looking house in the shape of a carrot with a garden around it, and a bookstore.

"Now where did Ice say her stand is?"

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#000080]Another morning in Ponyville, and it was shaping up to be a good one. Ice was already in a good mood, after waking up this morning to a surprised that she was very happy about. As she made her way downstairs, she made a few quick checks to make sure that everything was set in the way that she had left it the night before, before heading outside. As she did, she happened to see a pony that she recognized trotting in from the train station. she quickly looked back in at the calendar on the wall. Oh, that is today! That makes this day even better! Ice thought to herself as she waived hoof to the incoming unicorn.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "Fire Heart!! Over here!"[/colour][colour=#000080] she yelled trying to get the attention of the fiery unicorn.[/colour]

Fire Heart stood amongst the crowd, still looking for her friend's business and house, when she heard a familiar voice. The older filly looked around for the source of the sound until she spotted Ice Storm in the crowd.

[colour=#ff0000]"Ice Storm," [/colour]she exclaimed as she ran towards her friend and gave her hug, taking care to be calm enough to not accidentally catch fire, [colour=#ff0000]"How have you been?"[/colour]

"I have been good! Everything here has been nice and peaceful, just how I like it. Come on in," she told her leading her friend into the shop. "We can either stay down here in the shop or we can go upstairs where my living room is. Whichever would work better for you," she told her happily. It had been a while since she had managed to see fire. In fact, she hadn't seen her since they were at the coffee shop with Luna. That was a good night, and she'd never forget it. She hoped that she'd be able to run into all of her friends from there again at some point.

[colour=#ff0000]"That's good to hear. Actually I just want to check out your shop first before we go upstairs."[/colour]

As she looked around the store, she noticed something right away. The store felt cool inside. Maybe it was to help in the snow cone making process or maybe Ice Storm just liked it that way. She said that the heat bothered her after all.

[colour=#ff0000]"So this is where all your snow cones are made? How many flavours do you have exactly?"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#000080]Ice smiled when Fire said that she just wanted to look at the shop for a bit before they went upstairs. She gave another smile when Fire asked how many flavours of snow cones she actually had. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Well, I have seventeen flavours of snow cones to sell, twenty-four flavours for my smoothies, and twenty-three flavours of Ice Cream. If it's frozen and you want it, there's a very high probability of me having it,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled. She then looked at the fiery unicorn with another smile. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Are you comfortable here? I know that you said that the cold bothers you, and I keep my place chilled even during the winter. If you'd like I can let it warm up a bit,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled. While she herself didn't like to be overly warm, she wouldn't mind a small temperature increase for her friend, especially since she could always make it cooler again later[/colour]

The red unicorn tried to not show her discomfort towards her new found friend. After all, this was her business and she dared not want ti interrupt it. Besides the fact that the coolness of the room didn't cause her pain, just discomfort a little.

[colour=#ff0000]"Oh, no, the temperature is ok. I've been in worse times, like when I had to walk home from school when I was a filly and it was freezing rain outside."[/colour]

With that the older filly shivered from the memory as if her body remembered how it felt.

[colour=#ff0000]"Anyway, you said you have all kinds of flavours. Do you have a watermelon one? I love watermelon[/colour][colour=#ff0000]! It's a shame I have to wait for the summer to get one." [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice gave a genuinely concerned look when the mare told her that the temperature was okay, but soon turned into a smile. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Well, if it ever starts to be too cold for you, just let me know. I can warm it up a bit for you,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled as Fire asked about if she had any watermelon flavoured products. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Why yes, actually. Watermelon is one of my more popular flavours as well. Many ponies are happy that they can get all the flavour without the seeds,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled again. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Would you like one? It's on the house of course,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she added, just happy to see her friend happy. It had been a long while since she had a friend over just to talk. The last pony she'd had over was Rarity, and that was a good ways back. She hadn't had a chance to talk to her at all since her and Dunder broke it off. She made a mental note to go visit her later on today. Perhaps maybe she could pay her to design a dress for Fire. After all, she did mention that she couldn't do well with most, and if anypony could create a flame-proof dress with an absolutely fabulous design, it would be Rarity. [/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Oh, don't worry about the temperature. Actually I'm getting used to it." [/colour]

Fire Heart knew that that like other ponies she would adjust to the cool temperature of the room. Because she had an affinity to fire magic, her body just took a little longer to adjust. She imagined that it was the same for Ice Storm, just in adjusting to heat. Her mentioning of the cold seemed to make her friend worry, and Ice didn't want to have her adjust things just for her sake. Thankfully the mentioning of the watermelon flavoured treat allowed her to redirect the conversation.

[colour=#ff0000]"I can see that watermelon would be popular like that. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]Actually I would like [/colour][colour=#ff0000]one of your iced treats, thanks. Are you sure you don't want me to pay for it? I mean I know we're friends and all but I don't want to leave you broke. Everypony has to make a living, right?" [/colour]

Fire noticed that Ice Storm seemed very excited to see her. It was as if she hadn't had much company in terms off friends coming over. The older filly wondered why, especially since Ice did mention having a few friends while they were both in Canterlot along with Princess Luna and Moondancer.

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#000080]Ice smiled when Fire said that she would like one of her iced treats. When she asked if she was sure that she didn't want her to pay for it. [/colour][colour=#008080]"Giving a snow cone to a friend isn't going to leave me broke,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told her friend with a smile as she quickly made one of her large, patented snow cones. [/colour][colour=#008080]"Here you go. One Watermelon snow cone,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled to Fire Heart. She was also happy to hear that she was getting used to the temperature as well. She was worried that the temperature would be painful to her. thankfully she said that it was only extreme cold that was an issue for her. Even she didn't particularly care for extreme cold herself even if she could handle it better than most ponies. [/colour]

[colour=#008080]"I can't thank you enough for coming again today. I've... had a rather bad week this last week,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she stated walking towards the table that she where Fire was sitting.[/colour][colour=#008080] "So, how are you liking Ponyville so far? Quite a nice little place isn't it?"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled. She hoped to be able to show her around Ponyville after they got done with their tutoring session to help her refine her magic a bit more. Remembering what Luna had told her, it could easily be her emotions and anger from what happened to her parents that had caused a bit of it. [/colour][colour=#008080]"I'm ready to go upstairs whenever you are as well. Though, be warned... there is a slight smell up there that I can't completely get out,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told her. [/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Thanks," [/colour]Fire Heart said with a smile as she levitated the pinkish hued snow cone and gave it a lick.

[colour=#ff0000]"Wow! this is amazing Ice! It's like biting into an actual watermelon. Have you tried putting pieces of fruit into your iced treats? I know of somepony that does that with ice cream in Canterlot," [/colour]

Fire Heart noticed what her friend said about her day but tried to change it back to her. She knew from her past meeting with her and Princess Luna how Ice struggled with her parents and wondered if that was it.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well, Ponyville seems really nice. It's definitely smaller than being in Canterlot, but the ponies here seem really friendly. But why are you having a bad week Ice? [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Yup, I do that with a lot of my other frozen treats. It's just a bit difficult to put the actual fruit in a snow cone,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled to Fire. She didn't mention anything about the smell, but she did ask why her week had been less than perfect. Ice sighed. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Well, just over a couple months ago I got married. Just over a week ago we realized it wasn't working. He missed his ex too much, and the fact that I had an overnight wetting issue and had to wear protection at night bothered him a lot. He told me that it didn't bother him that much, but I could see that he hated it in his eyes. So we ended up separating and going our different ways,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she admitted to her. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"That being said, I guess this week wasn't all that bad. I finally found my Mother a few days ago and... it was as Luna had said. I wasn't the only one hurt by what happened. So making up and catching up with each other wasn't that difficult at all,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled thinking of how perfect that day was. It was the perfect kick-started from a day prior that had left her in shambles.[/colour]

Fire Heart's joy over his friend's success and the wonderful snow cone that she had quickly faded away as Ice explained what troubled her. She couldn't imagine what her friend felt after the pony that she intended to share her life now was out of her life. As for her other problem, Fire Heart did smell something odd upstairs as they journeyed there, but she assumed it was perhaps a mixture of smells that combined into a pungent odor. She wasn't really going to bring it to Ice Storm's attention, but now she knew what the source really was.

[colour=#ff0000]"Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your relationship Ice," [/colour]Fire said as she embraced her friend, [colour=#ff0000]"I can't even fathom how you feel now about it, only that, I don't know, maybe it was for the best to separate rather than there being some kind of tension. I really can't say as I haven't been even in a relationship, much less married. As for your other problem, I can't really say exactly how that's like either except that after I discovered my ability to create fire[/colour] [colour=#ff0000]I used to, well, light my bed on fire whenever I had a nightmare. It didn't happen often, but enough that my parents were worried that I'd burn the house down. But again I can't say if that compares to you as, you know, yours might happen more and is probably way more embarrassing that what happened to me. But hopefully you'll find somepony who loves you completely." [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice listened as Fire explained her overnight issue of her own after apologizing for what happened between her and Dunder. She shrugged when fire mentioned that her issue was probably a lot less embarrassing than Ice's. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Well, it's not really all that embarrassing... not anymore anyway. I've worn protection overnight for almost my entire life so I'm pretty much used to them at this point. That being said it does happen a lot more often. At least once or twice a night, though I imagine an issue like that is a lot less dangerous than the one you had,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled making her way to the couch. [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"And I may find somepony else later, but for now I'm content just to let things be until I can find somepony willing to accept me an all of my flaws. Especially since my largest flaw is incurable. When that day comes, then I'll know I've found the right somepony whomever that may,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled to Fire. She could already tell this was going to be a great day. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"So, whenever you're ready. I'm ready to begin with our lesson," [/colour][colour=#000080]she smiled again. [/colour]

Fire Heart was surprised how much Ice Storm downplayed her issue. Then again not experiencing the same problem herself the young mare could only imagine. Still if a pony had something that occurred throughout most of their life if not all then maybe one would be accustomed to it. Still the fact that Ice Storm experienced this issue more frequently than before was a bit disturbing to the red unicorn.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well hopefully in the future it will be less frequent in your life. As for my problem, that's all gone now once I learned how to control my magic better so I'm not worried about setting my bed on fire."[/colour]

Fire then listened to how Ice seemed to be interested in finding somepony in the future, one that would love her for all her gifts and flaws.

[colour=#ff0000]"Oh I'm sure you'll find somepony like that. There's bound to be a stallion or two that you know around here, right? Maybe they'll be your special somepony. You're already ahead of me with being able to find somepony to love." [/colour]

With that the young mare grew silent for a moment as she thought about her own love life or lack thereof. Maybe if Ice Storm could find somepony she would have a chance.

[colour=#ff0000]"Anyway, yes, I was going to teach you about magic, but [/colour][colour=#ff0000]maybe here wouldn't be a good idea. Is there some place out open in town where we can go?" [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice giggled and nodded to Fire when she mentioned that she wished for her issue to be less frequent for her, stating that from her own experience, seeing as hers got better. She also smiled when she said that there was bound to be a stallion or two around that she already knew and that they could be her special somepony. That she was already ahead of her in finding love. Ice giggled. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Well, I don't know very many other stallions around. That being said, I don't think I'm to limit myself to just stallions though. I was thinking of just taking a break and then going where my heart takes me, regardless if there a mare or a stallion,"[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice smiled. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Fire then said that here probably wouldn't be a good place for practicing magic, so she asked if there was any place more open for them to do so with. Ice's eyes lit up. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Oh, we can go to the park! Aside from my shop it's my favorite place in Ponyville! In fact, it's where I stayed the first few nights before I got my place here. Sometimes I still stay out there when the weather's nice,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled to Fire. [/colour]

Fire Heart was happy to see that she made Ice happy at the prospect of her condition clearing up. She listened as her friend explained how her friend didn't know anypony who would love her. What surprised her was the revelation that she may not be looking for a stallion but a mare. Not that there was anything wrong with that in Fire's mind. It was just that Fire didn't wntertain the thought of having a mare as a special somepony in her life.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well I'm sure there's some mare or stallion out there for you. I mean anypony would be crazy not to at least get to know you even as a friend, right?"[/colour]

The red unicorn smiled at the idea of heading to the park. A park would be open and free of crowds of ponies where they could practice.

[colour=#ff0000]"Ok, the park it is then. Maybe you can give me a tour iof town along the way. By the way, what specifically are you looking to learn or fix with your magic?" [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Well, for the most part I'm looking to be able to find a way to cast some of the other spells that I know without making myself sick. With the exception of anything Ice related, and basic telekinesis, I can't do anything else with getting somewhat sick. I'd also like to make my teleporting to be a bit easier and not make me to sick to move for a few moments afterwards, but if I remember correctly, you can't teleport that well either,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled as Fire said that she was sure that there was a mare or stallion for her. That anypony would be crazy to not at least get to know her as a friend. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I'd like to hope at least. I at least try to be approachable,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]She then began to head towards the door of her shop and smiled.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "Of course, that sounds like fun. This here is my shop, obviously, and my home is on the floors above, and right out the door is the market place. I'll be able to show you all the shops once we get outside,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled to Fire. [/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Hmmm," [/colour]Fire Heart said as she proceeded out of Ice Storm's house on route to the park, [colour=#ff0000]"So doing any other type of magic makes [/colour][colour=#ff0000]you sick? How sick do you get? I mean I've heard of ponies in my [/colour][colour=#ff0000]school get kind of sick like getting dizzy or nauseous but nothing major. They usually get over it after taking a break. I do know from my professors that most unicorns can only do telekinesis [/colour][colour=#ff0000]which almost all unicorns know how to do, and [/colour][colour=#ff0000]one main spell which usually relates to their talent. So you can create ice just like I can create fire. Beyond that there really aren't many ponies that can learn other spells as best as their talent. In fact my professors only know a hoof-full."[/colour]

She paused to think about the spells Ice wanted to learn.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well, I'm trying teleportation myself, but it's not really going well. I can barely teleport an object a few feet let alone myself. What other spells are you trying to learn? I know i can do some basic shielding spells and I've been working on learning a spell that can help me feel more comfortable in really cold environments."[/colour]

Fire Heart then remembered Ice saying something peculiar about Ice Storm living outside in the park.

[colour=#ff0000]"Wait, so you actually lived in the park for a while? I'm so sorry to hear that. Did somepony help you find a place to stay?" [/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

[colour=#0000ff]"Most of it is nausea, or dizziness, actually, and it varies by spell. For example, my detection magic and my Teleportation magic both can leave me nauseated for a few hours at least to the point where moving afterwards isn't really an option. but even a simple light spell can make me sick for a good amount of time. The only thing that doesn't make me sick, is my Ice. That just kinda comes natural to me,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she explained, listening as the professors stated that there aren't ponies that can really learn spells outside of the ones regarding their talents all that well. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"That's true, but basic ones like light and simple detection shouldn't be an issue for any Unicorn. Those are almost as basic as levitation and telekinesis. Teleportation I can understand making me dizzy and sick, I'd just like to be able to refine it so that it doesn't make me as sick to where it's not even a viable option,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she added. [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"At the moment, I'm not really trying to learn any new spells. I want to make sure the ones that I do know are working correctly and efficiently before I do others, and if I'm getting sick from them, I'm obviously not doing something right,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she commented before Fire asked her about the park.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "Yes, actually. Another nice unicorn from Canterlot Named Lore Weaver let me stay at his place until I got my hooves on the ground as long as I helped him get his store ready, which I did so without question. At least here in Ponyville anyway. In Canterlot I never really have any real place to call home except the park. It wasn't all that bad though. Even if I had a home there I probably would have fallen asleep outside anyways watching Luna's Stars. I still do that occasionally and I live inside my shop!"[/colour][colour=#000080] she giggled. [/colour]

Fire Heart listened as Ice Storm explained what she wanted to accomplish when it came to spells. To the older filly's relief, her friend wasn't looking for something new or complex to learn but to refine what she had already. Furthermore, the spells she wanted to learn were basic ones that many unicorns learned, including her.

[colour=#ff0000]"Hmm... I believe I can help you to fix those spells you're trying to learn. I used to get sick like that too when I did some spells before I went to Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. My professors told me that anything like getting dizzy or nauseous or having a headache is due to your body not used to that type of magic. I guess it's like trying to lift something heavy if you haven't done so before. What I think we need to do is practice. The good news is you at least know how to do these things. As for teleportantion, I'm still working on that myself. I'm not like our friend Moondancer. But maybe if we practice together we can figure it out."[/colour]

Fire then listened to the tale of how Ice Storm was given a free room by a stallion named Lore Weaver. The older filly wondered if Ice had any romantic inclinations to that pony who appeared to be quite nice. But Fire didn't want to belabor the point of Ice Storm's love life, especially since the blue unicorn was just recovering from an ebnd to a marriage.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well, that Lore Weaver you told me about sounds like a really good friend. I'll have to meet him someday. But it looks like we reached the park. So, what kind of spell would you like to try first?" [/colour]