Ok..... SRS PRBLM!

TheBronyBase

So I am a brony, and all of my friends know that, but my family doesnt.

You see... my family is very.... JUDGEMENTAL

they judge me on my every move and I dont know how to tell them I am a brony.

im REALY nervous about this.

because my parents think im sneaking around when i watch MLP.

SO PLEASE HELP! :eek: :eek:

Going to zip this over to Brony Chatter.

My best advice is to be yourself and enjoy whatever you like. If your family and friends ask questions, be honest and explain that you enjoy watching the cartoon because it's entertaining and you like the characters. Don't make it sound like something to be hidden or ashamed of, or people will treat it like something that's more than it is (or should be).

What Rosie said. :)

I was at a family picnic yesterday, where I happily led my young cousins in a sing-along of Winter-Wrap-Up and BBBFF (wouldn't you know, little girls like the show, too!) my aunt, their mother, kept giving me weird looks and eventually said to her boyfriend "Jane's obsessed with My Little Pony. It's pretty sad." Yeah, she and I don't get along very well, and that's not the only reason. :-P

I guess my point is if your family takes issue with it, it's their problem, not yours. You aren't the only brony in the world, there are thousands of us. They just need to learn not to judge you based on what you like. Most people don't, and you may find that unless you annoy them constantly with chatter about ponies (which I do to my sister, but that's what sisters are for), they probably won't really care. Like, at all.

• Like 1

I had this conundrum on the mind for a while, myself. What Rose said is true. Just treat it like any other show that you like, and don't make it out as something to be embarassed about. I showed this to my little sister (she's 5) and watched the first 4 episodes with her when I got home last week. I also showed some fan content to my little brother (he's 14) and he really enjoyed it as well. When I was talking to my parents about it, I simply told them that I thought it was a good show and it had a huge fanbase around the world. They didn't really have anything to say about me enjoying MLP because I didn't make a big deal about it or try to hide it.

It can be pretty scary telling people about this, but in the end they perceive it as what you portray. You don't need to have a super in-depth talk with them or anything like that. In your situation, you might just want to bring it up like something you came across and you were curious about. For example, you could go to your mother and say something like, "Hey mum, do you know that old show called My Little Pony? Well I learned that a remake of the show was done and that it's actually really good." Then you just go from there. If asked where you learned about it, just tell the truth and tell her it was on the internet. Too easy. Of course, it's easier said than done, I suppose. Anyway, I hope that helped somewhat, even if I just rambled a bit. Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

(It's 1am, and i'm tired, so i didnt read the others posts... so if i'm just repeating them, sorry)

I dont think it's somethign that they need to know... i mean, you dont need to hide it from them, but it's not somethign you need to announce... y'know... you wouldnt stand up during dinner and say "mum... Dad... I really liked Iron Man 3'...nor would you stand up and announce that you're part of the chess club at school... I mean if they asked, sure you'd tell them, but it's not something to be so freaked out about...

I have a wall of stuff in the corner of my room, some of it with pony stuff... they haven't asked me about any of it, so i dont bother to tell them...

Just enjoy yourself... If they ask you about it, just say 'its a character fro ma show i like," If they find it odd, Just shrug it off... You're happy, you're enjoying yourself... And they should be happy you're happy.

Another thing is if your family is always judging you harshly then even if they do judge you harshly for liking the show it won't be any different from how things usually are for you, so why should you worry about it?

They're judging you now when they don't know what you're doing so it couldn't make the situation any worse and may improve it

I'm repeating basically what everyone else had said, but with my own personal touch.

So, my family, well, they didn't seem to care too much, i don't think..Not too sure with them, but the hardest part was probably telling my friends.

They are a 'roudy' group, play in a band, do stupid stuff and i thought they'd ditch me for it, so for a year or so, i kept it hidden from them.

Eventually, my friends found out (Make sure, if you are trying to keep yourself hidden, you clear your internet history) and, i expected do get booted. But, they didn't care, they give me hell for it sure, but they don't really care. They don't care because they accept me for who i am, all of me. And the same should happen with your friends.

So, i must ask, what do you mean by judgemental? And to what degree at we talking about?

Another strategy I thought of, if they accuse you of sneaking around while you watch the show in private turn it back on them and ask what exactly they think you are doing? If they are just meddling and don't think you are on drugs or something it will probably throw them off

[colour=#0000ff]I suppose it's a decision between being proud of what makes you happy because it makes you happy, or putting on some image so other people are happy with your image. What's more important?[/colour]