Wings of their Own

flutterscotch

arpybanner.png

Arrow went inside to the store to buy all of the quills she could buy with her remaining bits. But as soon as she disappeared into the building a loud yell was heard inside. "I told ya never to come in here, little foal!" The storekeeper chased Arrow out of the store with a broomstick in his mouth. Arrow Plain ran out to when her friends were, who were casually hanging on the general store rail. For the moment, they acted like they didn't know who she was. The storekeeper glared at Arrow and then noticed the Sheriff conversing with Louise Lemare. "Ya see, over there is the Sheriff, and I don't have any problem callin' him over to get rid of yous. I'm not gonna tell you again. Don't come in here!"

Arrow griped as she shuffled back to her friends. By then, Louise LeMare had come up to the kids and was offering her old feathers to the kids. What luck! As Jona squeed, Nova gave a funny look at Arrow. But Arrow was making her own wishful thinkings as she modified Jona's praise. "Yeah, famous! Those wings... ...could make me FAMOUS!" Arrow began day dreaming about being the first unicorn to take permanent flight in Equestria. She could picture herself being honored at the Princess' castle in Canterlot. She could even taste the fabric of the commemorative Wonderbolts jersey they would give her. It would be a dream come true!

As Louise was walking away, she happened to turn her head back to see Arrow Plain being chased out of store by the storekeeper.

"I don't believe it!" she neighed as she galloped up to the Sheriff. "Sheriff, did you see that? That poor innocent looking filly got thrown out of the General Store by that mean storekeeper!"

"You really are new to Appleoosa, ain't ya Miss LaMare," the mustached stallion said with a stern look on his face. "That innocent filly yur a-talkin' bout is Arrow Plain. Y'all can bet if'n that storekeeper tossed her out of the store, there was a good reason fer it,"

"Good reason? Good reason to refuse service to such a sweet little pony like her?"

"That pony's a real mischief maker. She's always gittin in trouble at school and with the local merchants here. She may LOOK like an angel, but she ain't got wings or a halo neither, trust me on this."

"I'm going over to that storekeeper and give him a piece of my mind!"

"Best stay outta this, ma'am. Stickin' yur nose whar it don't belong can gitcha in a heap of trouble."

"I cannot stand idlely by and allow this to go unanswered"

"YOU'LL BE SORRY!" Sheriff Silverstar warned as Louise rushed over to the group of foals to talk to Arrow Plain.

"Young lady, I saw what that mean storekeeper did to you and I'm going to do something about it! How DARE he treat a wonderful filly like you so discurtiously!"

Thistle lifted her talon and openned her eyes at the sound of angry yelling. Rolling over, she peeked over the edge of the roof she was on at the street below. Was there gonna be a fight? She looked around, surveying the scene. She saw some foals over there, as well as a couple of grown ponies. One mare looked upset as she determinedly marched toward what looked like a store, with the moustache pony trying to get her to stop, apparently. "I guess ponies get into fights too. Just not as many," murmured the griffon chick to herself, tailpoof swaying back and forth as she watched. It was the first somewhat interesting thing since she got in town, after all. Maybe it would lead to more things. She continued lounging, letting one talon dangle off the edge of the roof and propping her head up with the other.

• 1 month later...

As the pale brown pegasus marched back to them and started...almost MOTHERING Arrow Plain, who was clearly sucking up the attention for all it was worth. You could almost see her strutting, while simultaneously acting like a poor innocent wounded foal. Butter couldn't melt in her mouth. You had to hand it to Arrow, she knew how to manipulate the adults, at least the new ones to town that hadn't had run-ins with her mischief making. The other young ponies only hoped that this time she could create enough of a distraction for them to make a clean getaway without anymore adults asking them too many probing questions.

Jona and Nova stifled giggles. They knew it was impolite to openly laugh at an adult, but seriously.... "Mean Storekeeper"? "WONDERFUL FILLY"? Arpy? ARPY? The town terror? The master of mischief? The filly fury? Why it was enough to make even a guard pony in Canterlot chuckle! They continued staring wide-eyes, with muzzles clamped shut. Jonagold had a hoof held firmly to his muzzle.

Suddenly a little bit of silvered wooden shingle plummeted down and hit Nova on the flank. Looking up to see where it had come from, she saw a pair of giant golden eyes, surrounded by the softest fluff she'd ever seen. Nova called up in a babyish, and probably extremely offensive to griffins, voice, "Oh you're so ADORABLE, why don't you come down and introduce yourself, widdle one?", and let out a little excited snort. Despite being a tomboy, and the practical one of the group, she just adored fluffy little things. And she wanted to nuzzle that griffin chick!

arpybanner.png

"What?" Arrow digressed. She was so distracted by the new feathers, her day-dreaming, and the intricate thought of how to make these feathers work, she hadn't even partially realized what the mare was saying to her. But once she gained full attention of LeMare and saw her friends giggle behind her, she knew if must have something to do with her own personality being misunderstood. Misunderstood was Arrow's favorite word. "Oh! I mean, yeah," Arrow began putting a pseudo-sadface on as she began to express her 'humility.' "I don't know why everypony in town treats me like this. It's so unfair. All I wanna do is buy some quills, and that mean ol' store keeper shoved me out." Arrow punctuated her academy award with a pout.

Almost immediately. Arrow puppy dogged up to Miss LeMare and asked, "Would you be able to do somethin' for me, Miss? Can I," Arrow coughed to clear her throat, as she wanted to articulate the best she could while not overdoing it at the same time. "Can I trace your wings?"

Louise's anger towards the shopkeeper turned to warmth and tenderness towards the yellow unicorn filly.

"Well of course you can, my dear," the brown Pegasus mare said. "That's an excellent idea! Using actual wing designs will help you and your friends to make the best hoofmade kites ever! I would be very happy to help!"

As she spoke, Louise extended her wings out.

"So, how do you want to do this? Where should I stand? Wait! You'll need a quill and paper to do the tracing with, right? I'd be happy to purchase what you need from the store, AND give that mean shopkeeper a piece of my mind to boot!"

Thistle blinked as she was addressed, beaming cheerfully as the little filly recognized her superior adorable nature. She considered swooping down at the prospect of easy cuddles, but after a moment's thought, decided that she might get a stern talking to if she did so. She busied herself with looking at her talons, her tail swishing idly. "It's been pretty boring around here so far is why," she explained before standing up atop the roof, only slightly fibbing. A griffon had to keep her pride, after all.

Letting her hindquarters tumble over her talons as she pushes off of the roof, she gives a sharp-beaked smile as she tumbled off of the roof to settle on the ground below with a few flaps of her wings. "'m Thistle," she brusquely introduced herself, looking over her talons. "Just moved here. You ponies are really boring if today is how you live all the time. Almost no fights or arguing or anything like that," she comments, stretching. "Rockwington was a lot more exciting." She modestly neglected to mention just how the other griffon chicks back home tended to get pretty rough. "So what're you lame-o's names?" she asked, looking down the street at some building in the distance in the hopes of not seeming TOO interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Taken aback at the griffin chick's rather unexpectedly sarcastic nature, Nova nodded up at the chick's rant about teh quality of life in their sleepy little town. Being friends with Jona and Arpy, this place sure never seemed boring to her, but she didn't want to start an argument with this newcomer. This....cute....fluffy...fuzzy....newcomer.

"I'm Nova...And this fella's Jonagold, but we call him Jona mostly. That yellow unicorn over there, "The pink unicorn gestured towards Arpy, but was immediately taken aback yet again by her friend's odd activities. She looked like she was scowling at Louise Lamare's wings, with an intense look of concentration on her face. From this angle, Nova could not see the quill that Arrow Plain was using to trace the mare's outstretched wing "...who is....ah....what is she doin'? That's Arrow Plain, but we call her Arpy. HEY ARPY! What in the name of Princess Celestia are you doin' over there? You tryin' to make yourself grow wings by concentratin'? I dunno if that's going to work."

arpybanner.png

"You will!? Really!? Oh that's would be great!" As the mare walked into the store, Arrow waited outside with an adorable smile towards the pegasus. Arrow's manipulative skills proved successful this time. Getting to trace a wing of a real pegasus was like landing on the moon for a unicorn foal who dreamed of flying. She just had to be sure to not mention that these flying 'kites' they were making were intended for ponies to ride them.

After the door closed behind Miss LeMare, Arrow looked back at Nova and Jona and gave a sadistic smirk. "I'm gettin' us a trace of a full-sized wing. Whatdya say about that!?" Suddenly, the coiling of the disapproval of the storekeeper sparked Arrow's competitive side. Showing off and being snooty was her way of redeeming herself of all the negativity some ponies gave her. With enough humiliation, Arrow was sure to prove to all of Equestria that they were wrong.

arrowha.png

As she smirked towards her friends, who for some reason like to hang out with a cocky unicorn who makes hoity-toity ponies look like poor immigrants from Aquellia, Arrow spotted the newcomer griffon chick that decided to drop by and see what was going on. "Hay!" Arrow stomped over to the chick. "Can you fly!?" Arrow's expression looked disheartened. As she spoke, she keep expanding her peripheral vision to the store's front door so that she would know exactly when to soften her upper lip and water her eyes for the generous mare that offered a blueprint of her feathered appendages.

Standing near the door, Arrow Plain could hear Louise's loud 'discussion' with the storekeeper. The two shared an opinionated exchange where the brown Pegasus mare defended her new filly friend. After Louise managed to 'outshout' the angry storekeeper, Louise LaMare walked out the door of the store with a bag full of drawing supplies in her mouth that she sat down in front of Arrow.

"That storekeeper has a lot of nerve!" she shouted before calming herself down in front of the young unicorn. "Well, I may not have gotten anywhere with that storekeeper, but I did manage to purchase the drawing supplies you'll need to trace my wings. Foals like you are the future of Equestria and I want to do my part to help encourage and support you all! Now then, where shall we begin? We probably should go somewhere else, away from this store and that ill-tempered storekeep pony."

Nodding, Thistle sat down. "Nice to meet ya, I guess. At least you lot are closer to my age than all the other ponies." She looked over at the yellow unicorn that was addressed. Tracing wings? And then the unicorn started stomping over.

Could she fly? What kind of question was that? Rolling her eyes, she flaps her wings once. "NOOOoooooo... these are just for decoraaaaaaatioooooon," she replied, voice dripping with sarcasm. "Been flyin' since I went off the edge of the cliff. Easy peasy." ...she neglects to mention that she was tossed off that cliff, and all the screaming and awkward flapping each time until she got it. She's in a new place, after all. She's gotta set a good image, right?

She nods a greeting to the approaching mare. "So, what's up with all this wing jazz? Some kind of school assignment or something?" The poof on her tail idly sways as she tries some more to not look overly interested.