Silken Splendour and a Fashionable Touch (Flower and Phil)

Bright, silver moonbeams were slanting into Luna’s bedroom, casting a cool sheen across the onyx floor tiles. The Princess of the Night was just waking from a brief cat nap after a day of performing her royal tasks and she couldn’t resist smiling at such a friendly greeting from the moon. Taking a few seconds to enjoy the comfort of her bed, she snuggled down a little further into the sheets, her long mane spilling over onto the floor to make it appear as though her room had been cracked open to reveal the cosmos. Despite how much she enjoyed her small moments alone and comfortable within her chambers, however, the princess had meetings to attend and appearances to keep. That meant dragging herself away from her bed, no matter how comfortable she might currently be.

Finally, reminding herself of a rather important personal appointment, she slipped out from between the sheets and gave her head a slow, gentle shake to remove any major and unwanted knots from her mane. As she made her way towards the dressed where she had laid her royal emblems, a small breeze that was oozing in from a crack in her garden door. Luna took a deep breath, closing her eyes; the air was balmy and thick with the scent of flowers for the gardens outside her room were starting to come into full flower, and their perfume was quickly becoming overpowering – even for an alicorn princess!

Smiling serenely, Luna’s attention returned to freshening up. A soft blue light gathered around her silver shoes, which she lowered to each hoof one by one. Next, she donned her tiara and necklace. The latter felt extremely cool to the touch at first; even on a warm night, the metal-and-onyx combinations always gave her a slight chill at first. Her brush was the next target for her magic. She began smoothing out her mane and tail with it as she approached the tall garden doors. She suspected that her guest would be arriving any minute, supposing things were running smoothly. She had sent off two of her personal guards pulling her chariot to fetch Rarity from Ponyville long before her nap, and from what she had gathered the unicorn was a perfectionist. That meant she was likely to be very punctual, which suited the princess perfectly.

Once she had finished smoothing out her appearance, Luna opened the garden doors fully with her magic and stepped out into the warm evening. The small, fenced-off gardens outside her room were very lively tonight! A gaggle of small birds were in a tall, marble bath that had been placed out near the hydrangeas, chirping away in conversation while they spruced up. Near them, the Princess of the Night could hear the skittering of the rats that had moved in recently – one of which was terribly clever and often graced Luna with visits to her room in the morning.

She wished to take more time to check over things in the outer ring of her garden, since the new gardener was fairly new to the castle, but an eagerness began to spread through Luna’s long body like a wildfire. There was something precious waiting for her in the core area, the large dome of tangled bushes and flowers with an open roof that created something of a small tent within her backyard. Was it delivered? She had asked her hoofmares to deliver it to the gardens for her meeting with Rarity, right in the centre of her cereus dome.

With giddy delight that was only slightly visible behind her cool demeanour, Princess Luna took quick, long strides towards the centre of the gardens. She passed by thick patches of colourful flowers and lattices leaning over beneath the weight of healthy vines, a few bird feeders and baths, and even a tiny city of bat boxes. Finally, she reached a dome that was three times her own height and wide enough to fit at least fifteen ponies snugly. The entrance to the dome was a wooden arch made of clear-stained wood from an aspen tree carved into the shape of three comets with their tails curling around each other. The Princess stepped in and was greeted with an intense wave of delight. There, bathed in moonlight and the shadows of spider webs was a pile of silk propped atop a wooden stand. It made quite the picture! Here, where the inner walls were lined with white night-blooming cereus flowers and silver webs woven by her collection of orb-weaver spiders, anything would look dazzling sitting in the wash of light coming down from the night sky through the dome’s opening. The slippery, shimming pile of silk that was draped before the princess was totally stunning. Luna felt absolutely thrilled at the prospect of fashioning the silk into a royal ensemble. She beamed brightly up at the dangerous-looking spiders that inhabited her inner garden and opened a wing so one of the golden orb-weavers could come to rest on her shoulder. It was a little bizarre having such large predatory arachnids living in such close quarters with each other, but Luna’s magic was a great aid in helping them live together peacefully and as of yet she hasn’t had a single hitch with them.

[colour=#6699cc]“Thank you for the lovely silk,”[/colour] she said quietly to the industrious critters, [colour=#6699cc]“You have worked very hard!”[/colour]

And so did the ponies who wove all of their silk into the supple sheets of fabric. They would be well-rewarded!

With the yellow-banded beauty resting on her shoulder, Luna returned to the entrance of the cereus-dome to await Rarity’s arrival. She wondered, idly, if the fashionista had a fear of spiders. If so, she would have to erect a magical shield around the walls of the garden to keep any of her curious critters from dropping down to say hello.

[colour=#6699cc]

To Rarity of Carousel Boutique and the Element of Generosity,[/colour]

[colour=#6699cc]I would like to formally invite you to a meeting in my private gardens. You have garnered a reputation among the Princesses of Equestria as a talented seamstress and artist and I have prepared for you a creative proposal. If you would meet me once the moon has risen three nights from today then I will gladly host you in the castle for however long you wish to stay here. Should you accept this invitation I shall send my chariot and two of my guards to collect you and your luggage. [/colour]

[colour=#6699cc]In regards to this project, though I think leaving it a mystery might be fun I realize that as a professional mare your time is valuable and I would never wish to lure you into a job that you ultimately end up declining or wasting time on. I have had Canterlot's finest weavers make copious amounts of the most supple and luxurious silks I have seen in quite some time, using threads spun by my beloved orb-weavers. I wish for you to fashion this into an ensemble befitting an Equestrian Princess so that I might wear it at the next major event that falls within my agenda.

Please respond as soon as you can.

With respect,[/colour]

[colour=#6699cc]Princess Luna.

[/colour]

• Like 4

[colour=#222222]

Rarity was a mare who always lived on the tightest of schedules. Running Carousel Boutique practically single-hoofed was not as easy as it might appear. She had to make each dress she sold herself, and would not tolerate anything beneath the bar of perfection. She also had to display and sell her dresses to the customers, meet with special clients, travel and promote herself in various fashion shows and of course go out and gather her own gems whenever she was running low. To top it off, she happened to have five amazing best friends and a darling little sister all of whom she needed to put aside ample time in her life for. With the number of hours in the day being limited as they were, the prospect of fitting all of it in and staying as composed as Rarity was would invariably seem a daunting one.[/colour][colour=#222222]

It certainly wasn't easy. Even with all the time off for friends, the life of a fashionista on the rise was nothing if not stressful. Sometimes the stress would get to her and she might crack; the simply misplacing of a ribbon she needs might somehow transform into a moment's catastrophe, but on the whole, Rarity was quite good at keeping her frantic life running at a steady pace. Granted, she was no Twilight Sparkle, who gleefully planned out even the minutia of her days in advance, but Rarity really did pride herself on her ability to make and keep to her many deadlines. She was good at scheduling herself so that she was able to get things done. Sometimes, however, something would come around which would throw her set schedule off entirely.[/colour]

[colour=#222222]

The Carousel had been running on its regular cycle when the letter had arrived, only to be thrown entirely off its tracks. There were few things that could halt everything for a mare like Rarity, but a personal summons from a Princess of Equestria was certainly one of those things. Such an honor was certainly not something one turned down. It had meant completing every open order she had in the three days she was given (not doing good by her customers was not something she could tolerate), and rescheduling some things with her ever-understanding friends, but Rarity had replied immediately affirming she intended to meet Princess Luna at the designated time.[/colour]

[colour=#222222]

It was a delightfully exciting thing for a number of reasons. For one, Rarity hadn't yet had much opportunity to get to know Princess Luna, not to the extent of her exalted sister or niece at the least. They had attended a number of the same events, but they had never had very much time to become more familiar with each other. For another, Rarity had never had an opportunity to work with spider silk. From what she knew of it, given where it came from, it could be hard to gather and not a task most ponies would be up to. Rarity had to say she was very much intrigued to see what Luna and her orb-weavers had for her.[/colour]

[colour=#222222]

Upon the arrival of the designated evening, Rarity had all her things packed and ready to go. As she was planning to stay for an entire week, the stack of luggage was impressively tall. She had almost felt sorry for the pair of lunar guards who arrived to handle it, having to pack all of the suitcases and bags into their chariot and then pull all of that along with Rarity and Opal all the way to Canterlot. She wasn't very knowledgeable regarding the enchantments that gave Luna's guards their wonderfully eye-catching unearthly style, but she did hope their bat-like wings were not made to strain under the burden. She had been sure to thank them upon landing at the castle.[/colour]

[colour=#222222]

[colour=#663399]"Come along now, Opal,"[/colour] she had said as the guards departed to bring her luggage to the room she would be using. [colour=#663399]"The moon is almost fully risen now. We mustn't keep Princess Luna waiting."[/colour][/colour]

[colour=#222222]

The moody cat mewed and followed at her owner's hooves as Rarity made her way steadily toward Luna's cereus dome, where the guards had told her the princess awaited her. Wanting to be punctual, she moved quickly through the palace and found her destination. Seeing the princess waiting at the entrance to the dome waiting for her, she smiled and hurried ahead. When she was close, she kneeled and bowed as was proper.[/colour]

[colour=#222222]

[colour=#663399]"I, Miss Rarity of Ponyville, have arrived at your request, my royal princess of the night!"[/colour] she said with reverent emphasis as she continued to bow her head. She shot a harsh glance at Opal, making sure the cat bowed as well.

​[/colour]
  • Like 1

As soon as she saw Rarity approaching, Luna’s stance went from relaxed to stiff and authoritative, her head held high and back rigid as the pale unicorn drew near. There was a brief flicker of reservation, a tension that sprung at the thought of being one-on-one with somepony. She had yet to master speaking comfortably since she had returned to Equestria, and the expectations for maintaining casual conversation in such an intimate setting were much higher. The Princess of the Night was experiencing performance anxiety, or something of that ilk. With royal speeches or addresses, speaking came much more naturally to her. It was something she was trained in over the year as a Princess of Equestria. Official is easy; it has a certain repertoire to draw from that one must simply compile for the appropriate setting and then deliver like clockwork. This situation, though it was business, felt different. Rarity felt, in a way, like something of an equal to the Princess. Possessing the Element of Generosity garnered her much respect from Luna, something which elevated her from the status of “subject” to something the princess couldn’t quite place yet.

Before she had the chance to figure out exactly how she wanted to approach this situation, however, Rarity was bowing and speaking. Her feline companion followed suit, a simple reaction with a big result! It was a little silly, a cat bowing to a princess. A small smile twitched in the corners of Luna’s mouth, and she spoke.

[colour=#6699ff]“You may stand. Both of you,”[/colour] she said, her voice just a little stiff, [colour=#6699ff]“Good night to you Rarity, and to your feline friend - I welcome you both to my private gardens. Your luggage will be taken to a guest suite near my own quarters by castle staff, who should be present there when you retire for the night. I did not realize you would be bringing your cat with you – if you require anything specific for her meals, you may tell the mare who will be responsible for looking after you during your stay.”[/colour]

Unable to restrain her smile from stretching just a breadth wider, Luna sidestepped in order to clear the entrance of her cereus dome in order to make way for Rarity, lifting one wing and stretching it out invitingly, to encourage the small mare’s entrance into her little haven. In the space she had made, the luxurious pile of pale spider silks brightly reflected the moonlight and shone. Hopefully, it would be striking inspiration for the fashionista!

[colour=#6699ff]“[/colour][colour=#6699FF]Once we are inside, I will explain in full detail why I summoned you hear so late - I am sure it strikes you as bizarre. [/colour][colour=#6699FF]As a warning, there are many large spiders such as Sophronia here within the dome,”[/colour] Luna stated evenly, turning her body slightly to provide a clear view of the gold-banded arachnid resting docilely on her shoulder, [colour=#6699FF]“I assure you they are all very peaceful – a result of my magic. They are fed, and keep to themselves. If you are fearful, however, let me know and I shall erect a barrier around the inner walls so they may not approach you.”[/colour]

The orb weaver, as though on cue, lifted one long, elegant leg into the air as if to say hello. Luna took a slow breath, already feeling some of her tension slipping away. She felt as though she had been well spoken, and though she was still quite formal, she managed to keep her voice in even tones. She was just starting to really relax when she felt a pit drop into her stomach, her eyes widening a little with realization.

[colour=#6699ff]“Ah, it seems we – I – have introduced Sophronia and have not even asked for your friend’s name,”[/colour] she added on hastily, stumbling a little as she intuitively tried to fall back on the Royal We (her minor fumble automatically made her wish to fall back on authority to prove that she is capable), [colour=#6699ff]“Would you introduce us?”[/colour]

Oh, drat. She had been so close to an excellent introduction!

• Like 2

[colour=#6699FF]“You may stand. Both of you."[/colour]

Rarity stood at the command and watched to make sure Opal followed suit. Standing before her now, Rarity looked the princess over. Luna really was as regal and majestic presence. Composed, dignified if slightly unsure; Rarity could see a lot in her strong posture. She was every bit as awe-inspiring to be around as her sister was. Her ethereal mane and tall, slender figure giving her beauty no normal pony could hope to equal. This was royalty in every sense of the word, and being there alone with her, just Opal at her side, had Rarity nervous and excited in equal measures.

[colour=#6699FF]Good night to you Rarity, and to your feline friend - I welcome you both to my private gardens. Your luggage will be taken to a guest suite near my own quarters by castle staff, who should be present there when you retire for the night. I did not realize you would be bringing your cat with you – if you require anything specific for her meals, you may tell the mare who will be responsible for looking after you during your stay.”[/colour]

[colour=#663399]"Trust me princess, she would never forgive me if I went to Canterlot for a week and left her behind,"[/colour] she said in reply to the princesses comments. She could have left Opalescence with Fluttershy, she supposed, but previous trips had told her it wasn't worth the passive-aggressive onslaught she received upon returning to the boutique.

The Princess moved aside then and motioned for Rarity to enter the dome. Rarity nodded, eager to move along. She stepped slowly inside and began to look around. The silks caught Rarity's eyes immediately. Their gleaming luster in the moonlight was simply splendid. Rarity couldn't take her eyes away. Such luxurious material and it was laid out before her. Rarity knew then that this would be a fun job. She couldn't wait to get started.

[colour=#6699FF]“[/colour][colour=#6699FF]Once we are inside, I will explain in full detail why I summoned you hear so late - I am sure it strikes you as bizarre. [/colour][colour=#6699FF]As a warning, there are many large spiders such as Sophronia here within the dome, [/colour][colour=#6699FF]I assure you they are all very peaceful – a result of my magic. They are fed, and keep to themselves. If you are fearful, however, let me know and I shall erect a barrier around the inner walls so they may not approach you.”[/colour]

Rarity's eyes moved to Sophronia. Of course spider silk was going to always mean spiders. Rarity stared at the creature with hesitation for a few seconds before finding a smile and giving a nod. She watched as the spider extended its leg friendlily. She giggled and then smiled at the curious creature before flipping back her mane and looking toward Luna once more.

[colour=#663399]"No need to worry, Princess. I've encountered spiders much larger and more brutish than this. Those are the ones worth fearing, not these; on the contrary, as one of nature's seamstresses I feel something of a connection with our web-spinning friends,"[/colour] Rarity assured Luna with confidence, recalling an unpleasant run-in with some massive and decidedly unfriendly arachnids she had had while traveling with her friends.

[colour=#663399]"Besides, I can tell little Sophronia here is an absolute dear," [/colour]she said, smiling at the creature. Perhaps it was surprising that she wasn't so afraid, being the drama queen of her circle of friends. Rarity was also a shrew pony, and could be alarmingly collected. If a princess of Equestria was insuring her she had nothing to be afraid of, then it was the truth. That much she was sure of.

[colour=#6699FF]“Ah, it seems we – I – have introduced Sophronia and have not even asked for your friend’s name. [/colour][colour=#6699FF]Would you introduce us?”[/colour]

Rarity gave a small laugh. Was she the one making the princess nervous? it looked like it just might be the case. She glanced toward Opal, who seemed to be eyeing Sophronia with a mixture of fear, curiosity and contempt. She lifted the persian cat up with her magic--Opal mewing and clawing for the ground as she did--and brought her before the princess.

[colour=#663399]"This little dear is Opalescence, my trusty assistant,"[/colour] Rarity said with a laugh.[colour=#663399] "As cats go, she's kind of an incorrigible little diva--all the more likely to tell me what to do than ever think to listen to me. She has uncanny fashion sense for a cat though and is, of course, quite the little cutie pie! I don't know what I'd do without her."[/colour]

She gleefully pulled Opal in closer, nuzzling her fur with her muzzle. Opal shot her an unfavorable glance before mewing some more and then struggling out of the hold, eventually leaping away from her gushing owner.

• Like 1

[colour=#4B0082]

[/colour][colour=#4b0082]"No need to worry, Princess. I've encountered spiders much larger and more brutish than this. Those are the ones worth fearing, not these; on the contrary, as one of nature's seamstresses I feel something of a connection with our web-spinning friends. Besides, I can tell little Sophronia here is an absolute dear."
​[/colour]

It seemed as though Luna had sorely misjudged the pale mare. She felt a profound mixture of humility and respect while Rarity spoke; as one who was often saddened by those who misjudged creates such as her spiders, she should have known better than to assume that a pony who carried herself with daintiness and applied herself to fashion would be a stereotypical priss, for lack of a better word. As though a spell had been cast, the Princess felt much more at ease and followed Rarity into the centre of the little haven.

[colour=#6699ff]“I am glad you feel that way,”[/colour] she said softly, a large, natural smile breaking the cool nobility she often strived to carry herself with. And how could she not smile? She had already been in such a fine mood, and to know the arachnids she held so dear and felt such pride for were being properly respected made her positively glow. Sophronia too, though she could not smile, appeared to be quite chuffed as she tapped her extended leg.

[colour=#4b0082]

"This little dear is Opalescence, my trusty assistant. As cats go, she's kind of an incorrigible little diva--all the more likely to tell me what to do than ever think to listen to me. She has uncanny fashion sense for a cat though and is, of course, quite the little cutie pie! I don't know what I'd do without her."
​[/colour]

Luna nodded, the last traces of her generous smile lingering as she looked towards the sassy white cat, [colour=#6699ff]“Well, Opalescence, it is nice to meet you,”[/colour] she said, formality sneaking back into her tone before addressing Rarity, [colour=#6699ff]“I will inform the mare assigned to look after the two of you that Opalescence is no mere house pet and to treat her with utmost respect. Now,”[/colour]

The princess turned back towards the silks, eager to finally discuss them.[colour=#6699ff] “The reason I brought you here to Canterlot, and more specifically to my gardens, is because I am very fond of this fabric. Rather than merely commissioning you and dropped off the materials, I hoped coming here would spark inspiration for your creativity that reflects upon my personal taste in aesthetics. This is one of the places in Equestria where so many things that I find visually pleasing are gathered together: the webs, the moonlight, and the flowers…the only thing missing would be the aurora, though we would have to travel far beyond Canterlot to see them.”[/colour]

The faintest traces of a grin flashed across Luna’s expression before she fell back into nobility once more, [colour=#6699ff]“At least that would be the case were I not Princess of the Night.”[/colour]

And at that, Luna’s horn began to glow and rivers of coloured light burst forth to swirl around the walls of the dome – the northern lights come to life in a Canterlot garden. Effervescent streams of pinks, purples, and greens danced about the inner walls, lighting the spiders’ webs and the flowers and the silks in turn for a few brief moments before the princess released her arcane grip. She understood very well that this was more than a little showy, but she had done enough light research about Rarity to understand that she loved things that shone and sparkled. Luna was hoping something with a bit of pizzazz could really spark some enthusiasm for the mare, if it wasn’t already there.

[colour=#6699ff]“Do you have any questions before I address access to materials and payment?”[/colour] she asked, eager to see if she had successfully tickled Rarity’s creativity.

• Like 1

[colour=#6699FF]“I am glad you feel that way,”[/colour]

From her words and expression, it seemed Princess Luna had expected something else from her. She was used to this. A pony like her was constantly being underestimated. She was Rarity the dressmaker: cultured, sophisticated, feminine, and not expected to be very much more, evidently even by princesses. Sure she made things pretty enough to make her customers and the fashion elite swoon and she had a notable flair for the drama, but she was also smart enough to keep her enterprise running, cunning enough to make a pack of diamond dog captors her willing servants and bold enough to kick a rampaging manticore square in the face. A few moderately large spiders weren't going to make her squirm at the very least.

[colour=#6699FF]“Well, Opalescence, it is nice to meet you, [/colour][colour=#6699FF]I will inform the mare assigned to look after the two of you that Opalescence is no mere house pet and to treat her with utmost respect. Now,”[/colour]

Opal gave a respectful nod toward the princess, indicating she was cool with this. She then sauntered away slowly, only for one of the spiders to descend in front of her. The cat gave a hiss and jumped back, and then ran to hid behind Rarity's hooves. Rarity chuckled and shook her head. Poor dear. She knew Luna's spiders would likely prove to be docile, but for her dear assistant this experience might be a somewhat unsettling one. She wasn't entirely sure it wouldn't be good for the little dear however.

[colour=#6699FF]“The reason I brought you here to Canterlot, and more specifically to my gardens, is because I am very fond of this fabric. Rather than merely commissioning you and dropped off the materials, I hoped coming here would spark inspiration for your creativity that reflects upon my personal taste in aesthetics. This is one of the places in Equestria where so many things that I find visually pleasing are gathered together: the webs, the moonlight, and the flowers…the only thing missing would be the aurora, though we would have to travel far beyond Canterlot to see them. [/colour][colour=#6699FF]At least that would be the case were I not Princess of the Night.”[/colour]

Rarity listened with interest as the princess explained herself. She had assumed the request would be something like this, and she was prepared for it. In fact, she was eager for the opportunity. She was less prepared for what came next, however. A smile crept across Luna's face as soon the dome was bathed in an intense and beautiful light. Rarity's eyes widened at the display, the colours swirling as they filled the dome, reflecting beguilingly from the webs and the flowers. it was unreal. She was seeing now the garden paradise of an Equestrian princess and in a word it was overwhelming.

[colour=#6699FF]“Do you have any questions before I address access to materials and payment?”[/colour]

Luna's words wrested Rarity from her slack jawed stupor. She glanced at Opal to find the cat was likewise stupefied at the intense and mesmerizing site.

[colour=#663399]"P-Princess Luna..."[/colour] Rarity started, smiling awkwardly. [colour=#663399]"Allow me to offer my most humble thanks for this esteemed honor," [/colour]she said, bending down to kiss Luna's hooves. [colour=#663399]"The sheer majestic splendor of this beauteous garden...! I am unworthy!"[/colour] she uttered dramatically as she continued to kiss at the royal mare's hooves.

Meanwhile, a nearby Opalescence raised a paw to her face and shook her head at her owner's overwrought display.

• Like 1

[colour=#4b0082]

"The sheer majestic splendor of this beauteous garden...! I am unworthy!"
​[/colour]

Luna had gone from a light touch of self-indulgence and pride to a complete and utter loss for words. She had hoped to dazzle Rarity, yes, but she certainly did not except the unicorn to fall to the ground in such an excessive display of…gratitude? Humility? Prostration? She wasn't really sure, to be honest! The Princess of the Night could do little more than stare down at the mare who could not seem to stop kissing her shoes. For one so concerned with appearances, this was quite a surprising display!

[colour=#6699ff]“You are quite welcome, Rarity, but I would not have chosen you if you were unworthy…”[/colour]

The Princess tried to speak over the fashionista’s display, but she found herself trailing off. Something in her throat was overtaking decorum and bubbling up, up, and out until -

[colour=#6699ff]“Heh.”[/colour]

The seal had been broken. It started small and quiet, but Luna’s giggling quickly grew into full-stomached laughter. It was very unbefitting of a princess, such a silly display, but she simply couldn’t help herself! There was something about seeing a fashionista and lady such as Rarity flung to the ground in an overdramatic display that Luna couldn’t help but laugh at. And laugh she did! She laughed and laughed until her vision blurred with tears and the muscles in her stomach ached, until she was no longer even aware of what Rarity was doing.

Finally, though, something clicked and Luna became a little more aware of what exactly was happening. And yet, instead of feeling dread at her own shocking display, the Princess of the Night felt…light. Cheerful, even! She finally calmed down, getting her giggling under control, and then straightened her posture once again. It was obvious just how much she had relaxed, however, and no matter what she did she couldn’t quell her smile into something more quiet and princess-like.

She finally took a step back from Rarity, lifting a long leg to cover another small giggle with her silver-shoed hoof (the shoe now quite smudged from Rarity’s kisses!).

[colour=#6699ff]“I do apologize,”[/colour] she finally said, placing her hoof on the ground again as she collected herself, [colour=#6699ff]“How unbecoming of me!”[/colour]

Luna wanted to continue their discussion along and discuss the matter of payment, but there was a growing concern that what she would say might just send the unicorn into another fit (and consequently put her into another fit). She considered for a moment whether or not she should just end their conversation for now, but quickly decided that she was being silly. The Princess herself was beginning to overreact and make a melodrama of the situation!

With another small chuckle at herself, this time, Luna smiled down at Rarity.

[colour=#6699ff]“Shall we move on, then? Perhaps we should step outside into the main garden to enjoy the breeze a little better.”[/colour]

The Princess took the initiative to step outside without waiting for the unicorn’s response, then, for she felt that getting into the more open area of the gardens would at least help to calm down her giggling attitude! Perhaps then the two could proceed normally!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

[colour=#6699FF]“You are quite welcome, Rarity, but I would not have chosen you if you were unworthy…”[/colour]

Luna replied as modestly as could be expected of a princess as Rarity continued to kiss at her hooves. Then, quite suddenly, the princess erupted with mad laughter. Rarity stopped what she was doing and blushed intensely at first, fearful she had taken it too far. As the laughter continued for some time and only grew louder, the mare found herself giggling softly herself. It occurred to her then that Luna wasn't her sister. Flinging herself down at the elder sister's hooves in thanks hardly resulted in this reaction after all. It was almost shocking watching this princess, otherwise respectful and dignified, slip away into incessant laughter, yet her expression told Rarity the mare was having fun. The laughter proved to be contagious, as watching Luna collapse into her mad fit proved to be quite the amusing sight. In time, both mares were laughing at full volume at the other's expense.

[colour=#6699FF]“I do apologize. [/colour][colour=#6699FF]How unbecoming of me!”[/colour]

Rarity stopped laughing at this and glanced aside. She gave one final giggle and nodded.

[colour=#663399]"I would apologize as well, Princess. I suppose that display of mine was just slightly excessive,"[/colour] she said. She could almost feel Opal's eyes roll as the cat stared at her from nearby.

[colour=#663399]"Though this garden of yours... it truly is exquisite. It's beauty truly does come so very near to warranting such things,"[/colour] Rarity added as she once more looked around the gardens some more, still marveling at all they had to offer. She really did feel like a lucky mare to be able to see such things.

[colour=#6699FF]“Shall we move on, then? Perhaps we should step outside into the main garden to enjoy the breeze a little better.”[/colour]

[colour=#663399]"There's even more to this garden?"[/colour] Rarity started in shock. She shook her head and then gave a repeated nod. [colour=#663399]"Of course, Princess! I'd love to see everything."[/colour]

She grinned and walked ahead a few steps. [colour=#663399]"Just lead the way!"[/colour]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

[colour=#4b0082]

"Th[/colour][colour=#663399]ough this garden of yours... it truly is exquisite. It's beauty truly does come so very near to warranting such things,"
[/colour]

Luna nodded at Rarity as the pale unicorn joined her in stride, leading her out into the main area of the garden that surrounded the home for her lovely little weavers. The garden was a group of eight layered rings that grew in size the further they were from the central dome, each of which had a hoofful of small, straight paths that cut between the rich growths of flowers to connect each ring. The paths were marble cobblestone, each very well-tended: not a single stone was out of place or uneven! Beyond the structure, there was little out of the ordinary for these gardens beyond the bat boxes that lined the first ring. Though truth be told, the blooms were massive and lovely and there was an obviously lushness that would be hard to duplicate (even for the greenest hoof!). The personal gardens of the Princess of the Night, however, were of standard form for a Canterlot Castle garden – there were many to be found here on the grounds, each of which was rich with life and beauty that came from the careful nurturing of the castle’s gardener ponies – something she was eager to repeat aloud!

[colour=#6666ff]“They are quite beautiful, are they not? The castle’s gardens have quite a reputation, one that was well earned. The gardeners we have on our grounds have incomparable talents – sometimes I wonder if they don’t all have one hoof in the æther – this all seems like the work of great magic!”[/colour]

Ah, finally – the Princess could feel her cheeks cooling and that earlier giddiness which caused her little…fit of laughter easing off. Somewhat. She was leading Rarity around the first, smallest ring now – with the bat boxes and massive hydrangeas of varying hues, some of which grew beneath the shelter of large wisteria trees.

[colour=#6666ff]“Now, if I may backtrack…we have yet to discuss your access to materials,”[/colour] Luna said, a small smile coming to life once more. Would this send the pale fashionista into another of her fits?

[colour=#6666ff]“I would like this dress to be one that possesses a subtle beauty, but still holds the mark of royalty – as such you will have full access to the treasury, to choose those gems you see as fitting for the outfit. The ponies in charge of the treasury will, of course, assist you – they keep things quite organized, and will be able to direct you with a great deal of efficiency! And of course, if you need a particular cut for anything, there are lapidaries at hoof as well.”[/colour]