The Metal Thread

[colour=#282828]Brain Drill is Technical Death Metal, Wormrot is Grindcore, Emperor are Symphonic-ish Black Metal, Brutal Truth are Grindcore, and Fleshgod Apocalypse are Symphonic Death Metal. :blush: SYL are hard to put into one genre. They're like Extreme Industrial Thrashy Deathy Metal or something like that. :-|[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Aside from the Death Metal and stuff, I also like System Of A Down, Nightwish, Tyr, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Stormwarrior (super awesome Power Metal band).[/colour]

I know what Emperor plays. But otherwise, the rest was informative.

And a lot of those bands that isn't the "Death Metal Stuff" you've listed I like too.

And yes, Stormwarrior is quite the awesome Power Metal band. I'm suprised someone else has heard of 'em.

I know what Emperor plays. But otherwise, the rest was informative.

And a lot of those bands that isn't the "Death Metal Stuff" you've listed I like too.

And yes, Stormwarrior is quite the awesome Power Metal band. I'm suprised someone else has heard of 'em.

Ah, okay. Symphonic Black Metal is my favorite Black Metal sub genre. :razz:

I should also mention that I like Megadeth and Metallica. Those bands are necessities for a Metal thread. :blush:

I'm not sure if I label them as 'underground' or not. I've met a few people who like them, and a lot of people don't know who they are.

Recently, i've started reading online Metal magazines, and searching up new bands by genre. I have an account on MetalStorm, which is where I do all that stuff. If you go there, and search up a genre of Metal (in the top right hand corner), it lists a whole bunch of bands in that genre. It's a good way to find new bands to listen to, and see what other kinds of bands there are. :kissy:

death metal, grindcore, thrash, black, speed, classic, blackened death. and others

i honestly grew up on it.

kicked to death by Lord Gore, I sold myself by caliban, pure evil and hate by behemoth, crucified ones by vader, raining blood (slayercover) by vader, slaves shall serve by behemoth, welcome home by king diamond, pit of zombies by cannibal corpse, clouds over California by devildriver, hangman's i've been sober by devildriver, slam pig by amputated, done with everything die for nothing by children of bodom, loco by coal chamber.

please note that a fair number of those songs are NSFW

Ah, okay. Symphonic Black Metal is my favorite Black Metal sub genre. :razz:

I should also mention that I like Megadeth and Metallica. Those bands are necessities for a Metal thread. :blush:

I'm not sure if I label them as 'underground' or not. I've met a few people who like them, and a lot of people don't know who they are.

Recently, i've started reading online Metal magazines, and searching up new bands by genre. I have an account on MetalStorm, which is where I do all that stuff. If you go there, and search up a genre of Metal (in the top right hand corner), it lists a whole bunch of bands in that genre. It's a good way to find new bands to listen to, and see what other kinds of bands there are. :kissy:

Megadeth and Metallica aren't really needed. However, since we're kinda on this topic, from the songs I've heard, IMHO Megadeth > Metallica.

For the underground, are you talking about Stormwarrior?

And that MetalStorm sounds interesting. I did a quick check on it, seems pretty neat.

death metal, grindcore, thrash, black, speed, classic, blackened death. and others

i honestly grew up on it.

kicked to death by Lord Gore, I sold myself by caliban, pure evil and hate by behemoth, crucified ones by vader, raining blood (slayercover) by vader, slaves shall serve by behemoth, welcome home by king diamond, pit of zombies by cannibal corpse, clouds over California by devildriver, hangman's i've been sober by devildriver, slam pig by amputated, done with everything die for nothing by children of bodom, loco by coal chamber.

please note that a fair number of those songs are NSFW

I recognize many of the listed bands, but I assume that the rest are, on some level, Death Metal.

Megadeth and Metallica aren't really needed. However, since we're kinda on this topic, from the songs I've heard, IMHO Megadeth > Metallica.

For the underground, are you talking about Stormwarrior?

And that MetalStorm sounds interesting. I did a quick check on it, seems pretty neat.

I completely agree. Super Collider was a bit disappointing, but Megadeth is still better.

To a mainstream audience they are a bit underground.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. :idea:

I completely agree. Super Collider was a bit disappointing, but Megadeth is still better.

To a mainstream audience they are a bit underground.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. :idea:

Of the few people that I know of that listen to both Metallica and Megadeth, they most of them say that Megadeth is better.

Yea, Stormwarrior is somewhat underground.

• 2 weeks later...

A Metal thread? *slams fist on table* How come I was not informed of this!?

So from what I've read, aside from a brief mention of Drudkh, I find the lack of Folk metal unacceptable!

There, one video to alter the tide, and a big ol' list to keep the waves rolling: Ensiferum, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Primordial, Orphaned Land (Middle Eastern oriental folk, with other death and doom metal elements), Heidevolk (they have the best vocalist(s) in the Folk metal scene period), Týr, Moonsorrow, Elvenking (early albums, they moved onto an infusion of Power metal in the album 'The Scythe' and beyond). And although I've only heard a touch, there's apparently some really good Folk metal going on with Central/Native American cultures, though they seem to mostly be fused with Power metal as well.

And I suppose I should drop a few vaguely obscure bands no one else I know seems to have heard of: 3 Inches Of Blood (just some straight up blaring, blast-beating, banshee screeching, guitar screaming, puke on your shoes swords and sorcery heavy metal), Rotting Christ (Greek black/melodic thrash metal, their later albums are good: Sanctus Diavolos, Theogonia, Aealo; but their earlier albums I don't like as much), Melechesh (Middle eastern black metal, lots of ancient Mesopotamian mythology and mysticism woven into their verses, they've become one of my all-time favorites), Keep Of Kalessin (they automatically win happy points for their name referencing Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea series), The Kovenant (Industrial black metal that makes Marilyn Manson look like Candyland), Midnattsol (Norwegian metal band with folk themes and an ethereal Gothic sound to their instrumentation), Naglfar (so-basic-it's-good blackened death metal, imo better than Dissection, who could be considered competition), Bal-Sagoth (a blend of power metal and black metal laden with heavy synth symphonies, sci-fi/fantasy story arcs with black metal vocals and deep-voiced story narrating; so cheesy that it's good), Virgin Black (symphonic doom with some neat male/female operatic vocals and some death growls), Fleshgod Apocalypse (this is one of the fastest Death metal bands out there, I'm not kidding; they make the Han Solo's ligh-speed look like old lady driving).

Oh God there's so many more bands I'd like to post, but I'll just drop all my fave Metal genres in no particular order: Death, Power, Black, Folk/Viking, Prog, Gothic, Heavy, Thrash, Industrial, and Symphonic.

• Like 1

So from what I've read, aside from a brief mention of Drudkh, I find the lack of Folk metal unacceptable!

There, one video to alter the tide, and a big ol' list to keep the waves rolling: Ensiferum, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Primordial, Orphaned Land (Middle Eastern oriental folk, with other death and doom metal elements), Heidevolk (they have the best vocalist(s) in the Folk metal scene period), Týr, Moonsorrow, Elvenking (early albums, they moved onto an infusion of Power metal in the album 'The Scythe' and beyond). And although I've only heard a touch, there's apparently some really good Folk metal going on with Central/Native American cultures, though they seem to mostly be fused with Power metal as well.

And I suppose I should drop a few vaguely obscure bands no one else I know seems to have heard of: 3 Inches Of Blood (just some straight up blaring, blast-beating, banshee screeching, guitar screaming, puke on your shoes swords and sorcery heavy metal), Rotting Christ (Greek black/melodic thrash metal, their later albums are good: Sanctus Diavolos, Theogonia, Aealo; but their earlier albums I don't like as much), Melechesh (Middle eastern black metal, lots of ancient Mesopotamian mythology and mysticism woven into their verses, they've become one of my all-time favorites), Keep Of Kalessin (they automatically win happy points for their name referencing Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea series), The Kovenant (Industrial black metal that makes Marilyn Manson look like Candyland), Midnattsol (Norwegian metal band with folk themes and an ethereal Gothic sound to their instrumentation), Naglfar (so-basic-it's-good blackened death metal, imo better than Dissection, who could be considered competition), Bal-Sagoth (a blend of power metal and black metal laden with heavy synth symphonies, sci-fi/fantasy story arcs with black metal vocals and deep-voiced story narrating; so cheesy that it's good), Virgin Black (symphonic doom with some neat male/female operatic vocals and some death growls), Fleshgod Apocalypse (this is one of the fastest Death metal bands out there, I'm not kidding; they make the Han Solo's ligh-speed look like old lady driving).

Oh God there's so many more bands I'd like to post, but I'll just drop all my fave Metal genres in no particular order: Death, Power, Black, Folk/Viking, Prog, Gothic, Heavy, Thrash, Industrial, and Symphonic.

:-| Woah, dude. Your taste in Metal is awesome!

A lot of those bands you mentioned are awesome (some of them I don't know, and I will have to check them out)! 3 Inches Of Blood has a lot of great tunes. Rotting Christ is pretty sick, too. My favorite Melechesh album is the Epigenesis. Keep Of Kalessin just plain rules. I love the heck out of all things Melodic/Symphonic Black Metal, so of course I like Naglfar. Bal-Sagoth is pretty cool (haven't listened to a whole lot of they're stuff). Fleshgod Apocalypse is just... Amazing. They have a new album coming out called Labyrinth. I listened to a few of the songs from it and it sounds awesome. That album is coming out really soon this month! In like, 7 or 8 days! I must get it! :evil:

NEW FLESHGOD ALBUM!? I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW, I'M SERIOUSLY WIGGING OUT RIGHT NOW LISTENING TO 'ELEGY'!! XDD

Now I know what I'm spending my next pay on next week XD.

I recently listened to another band that reminded me allot of Fleshgod, they sound like a progressive version of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlMsWdZtsB8

Moar money to spend!

NEW FLESHGOD ALBUM!? I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW, I'M SERIOUSLY WIGGING OUT RIGHT NOW LISTENING TO 'ELEGY'!! XDD

Now I know what I'm spending my next pay on next week XD.

I recently listened to another band that reminded me allot of Fleshgod, they sound like a progressive version of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlMsWdZtsB8

Moar money to spend!

Wait until you hear Minotaur! It's more of a slow-ish song, but the drums are still fast as heck. :-o

I think 2013 has been one of the greatest years for Metal (minus Super Collider XD). A lot of albums by a lot of my favorite bands have come out this year, and it's just awesome. The Black Dahlia Murder, Children Of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Megadeth (It's still an album, so I guess it counts), The Dillinger Escape Plan, and now Fleshgod Apocalypse! Kataklysm is coming out with a new album, too. They revealed the artwork for it a few days ago. :idea:

Ah yes, good ol' SoP. My favorite song from that album is "Deus Avertat". :blush:

• Like 1

Rotting Christ and Orphaned Land released albums this year as well, ones I still need to get :x Apparently Melechesh is in the midst of writing a new album too, and actually had some lineup changes concerning the guitarist and drummer. They left on friendly terms though, so it's not too bad. Not like when ICS Vortex and Mustis got booted from Dimmu Borgir. But at least Vortex went on to do a great solo album and return to Borknagar and Arcturus.

Amon Amarth is good, but the thing is, once you've heard one AA song, you've heard them all; barring maybe a couple songs that have a unique composition or just general stand out more than others (Twilight of the Thunder God, Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags). They seem mostly to be a one-trick pony. But I saw them live when the Mayhem Festival came to Bangor, Maine, just an hour from where I live. They were bleeding awesome. It was a lineup of them, Mastodon, Five Finger Death Punch and Rob Zombie (the last two totally stole the show). The Rob Zombie segment was just mind numbingly awesome. We were outside at the Bangor Waterfront; see, it was dark and a lightning storm had brewed up. A huge bolt of lighting with 7+ forks went across the Bangor river right in the middle of 'House of 1000 Corpses' and it kept thundering on even after the end of the show. It had started raining, and the lights were illuminating the rain and the heat vapors coming from the audience (me and my friends were sitting under a pine tree on a grassy knoll off to the side, sheltered from the rain and seeing everything XD). Rob actually had to come back on stage after the show to tell the audience screaming 'Encore!' to go home, since the storm was getting nasty. More lightning, and apparently a building had gotten struck like half a mile from the venue, all sorts of emergency vehicles were blaring down the streets while everyone was leaving. It was pretty surreal, and epic for my first concert.

I've actually heard of a few of Forefather's songs. From what I heard, I liked 'em. And many of the other bands you've listed I've also heard of. Nothing else to comment on this subject.

But with this post, I've noticed a pattern. When it come to metal, you have at least two main types of "metalheads:" those who listen to the more darker things (thrash/death/etc.), and those who have a broad taste.

I have a broad taste, I just tend to listen to dark metal more than light metal.

Arguably a majority of metal is dark, and not necessarily because of gritty guitars and growling/screaming. Epica can be pretty dark; but their music is pretty varied, as to contrast with their darker songs. And even if the music isn't that dark, the lyrics can be heavy. Therion does that sometimes.

Arguably a majority of metal is dark, and not necessarily because of gritty guitars and growling/screaming. Epica can be pretty dark; but their music is pretty varied, as to contrast with their darker songs. And even if the music isn't that dark, the lyrics can be heavy. Therion does that sometimes.

Well, I guess that a majority of metal being dark is true. But with the decent size of the Power/Viking and the other lighter sub-genres, I would've assumed that I would come across at least a few by now.

• 2 months later...

My favorite subgenres are melodic death metal and groove metal, but I listen to most any subgenre. My favorite bands include In Flames, Pantera, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Machine Head, DevilDriver, Amon Amarth, Dark Tranquility, At The Gates, Gojira, Trivium just to name a few.

Otep

ShadowsFall

all that remains

kill switch egage

lamb of god

the raven and the reaping

under oath

children of botom

demon hunter

i HATE sludge meta land grid core..i just can't understand the singer! i like UNDERSTANDING the singer as well as the rest of the band with grindcore it just goes to far and sounds like farting in to the mic or some **** its like okay (the rest of the band) played to your farting just not your DEEP thoating the mic and farting screams