Bright Calcite [Ready]

Jane

W0U5xSC.png

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria

Name: Bright Calcite. If you must use a nickname, you may call her BC.

Sex: Female

Species: Crystal Pony

Eye colour: Bright Calcite has warm pink eyes, almost the colour of coral. She is quite near-sighted; her crystal pupils are framed behind a pair of dainty, oval-shaped silver eyeglasses.

Coat: Her coat is a very soft peach colour, and of course has the shimmering, iridescent look of all the Crystal Ponies' Coats

Mane/Tail: Her mane and tail are streaked with three different colours; a soft, pale magenta, a gentle sea green, and a beautiful baby blue. Her tail is long and wavy more than curly, and doesn't quite reach the ground. Like many crystal ponies, she weaves ribbons into her hair (both mane and tail) that are just a few shades darker than the soft peach colour of her coat. Her mane, like her tail, is naturally wavy, but it is carefully styled so that you hardly notice this; she has most of it wound up at the top of her head and held there with a comb made of amber. Several loose strands allowed to fall around her face; not untidily, just enough to make her look young and pretty.

Physique: Bright Calcite can best be described as petite - she's just a little bit shorter and a little bit smaller than the average mare, but this means she fits in well with the young fillies and colts she teaches.

iC7eDta.png

Art by Gracepony on DeviantArt, used with permission.

http://fav.me/d66bxg3

Residence: Bright Calcite lives in a medium-sized house with blue walls and a small yard. She shares it with her husband and daughter in the Sunstone district of the Crystal Empire.

Occupation: Bright Calcite is a school teacher, and she loves teaching children who are approaching late filly or colthood the best - right around the time little ponies are earning their cutie marks.

Cutie Mark: Three pieces of lightly coloured chalk; one blue, one pink and one green (in shades that are very nearly identical to her mane and tail colours) that are positioned so that they form a triangle.

cK5Jrf9.png

She was an enthusiastic and clever filly, and though she wasn't quite a prodigy, she did well in school, enjoyed the experience of learning, and was often among the first of her classmates to finish her school work. When she finished early, her teacher would instruct her to read a book or draw a picture, but Bright Calcite preferred to turn to the classmates around her who were struggling and help them with their work.

The first time her teacher saw her doing this, she didn't realize what BC was doing and scolded the filly, saying that her classmates wouldn't learn if she gave them the right answers. Bright Calcite wanted to protest, but refrained. The next day, however, she was at it again; and the day after that, too. Finally, her teacher overheard what she was doing - much to the mare's astonishment, Bright Calcite wasn't giving her friends the answers, but she was explaining the concepts to her friends, almost as clearly and succinctly as the teacher had herself.

Though her parents and teachers knew early on what Bright Calcite's special talent was, she struggled to discover her special talent for herself. As far as she was concerned, she wasn't doing anything super-special at all; she was just helping her friends.

Finally one year, there was a big mathematics test. By then, her friends all knew she was the best pony to ask for help with studying and homework and they convinced her to start and run a study group. Maths had never been her strongest subject, but she agreed nevertheless. For three days before the test, a handful of her classmates met in her backyard to study together.

When her friends had problems understanding certain topics, she did her very best to explain. She even used her play-chalkboard to 'teach' them how to find the degree of the angles in a triangle, and to show them the difference between the different types of triangles. She even managed to help Rocky Ridge, one of the thickest students in the class, to understand how to work out the difference between scalene, equilateral and isosceles triangles. When he finally got it, she felt so proud of him! As she praised him for his efforts there was a bright flash, magnified by the many crystalline buildings surrounding her that reflected the light. Blinking, she looked around to see what had caused it. But her friends,most of whom already had their cutie marks, knew exactly what it was.

"You got your cutie mark, BC! Look, you got your cutie mark!"

Despite constantly being told by friends, teachers and family alike that she was good at explaining things, that was the first time ever that she realized that maybe they were onto something. Maybe her special talent really was the same as her mother's; maybe her special talent really did lie in helping other ponies learn in school!

History: Bright Calcite had a pretty happy childhood. She was raised in Pearl, and for her entire fillyhood the only hardship she faced was that of having to put up with and sometimes babysit her younger twin brothers.

Her mother was a high school teacher (and later, high school principal) and her father was a nurse at the Crystal Empire's major hospital. Both of her parents worked in jobs that helped ponies to improve, be it their intellect or their physical well-being. Bright Calcite watched her parents care for and give of their time for other ponies and even as a young filly she felt that destiny was calling her to do something similar with her life. She always loved helping her friends learn, after all. Her cutie mark sealed the deal for her; from that day forward she knew with absolute confidence that she would be a teacher.

She finished her schooling in the top five in her class, proud of herself and all the other crystal ponies who she had helped throughout her years of learning. Bright Calcite soon went on to teacher's college, which was an environment entirely different from school as she was accustomed to it. Though she didn't find the experience unpleasant, she was glad when she finally made it back into a primary school environment, taking up a position in the Sunstone district, now having accomplished her life's goal of becoming a schoolteacher.

During her college years, she met and dated a stallion named Shimmer Stone. The two fell head over hooves for one another, and just before Bright Calcite's graduation, he proposed to her - an offer she most eagerly accepted. The wedding took place a year later, after she was settled into her new position at the Sunstone school. After a few years, Bright Calcite and her husband started looking into adoption when they discovered that they wouldn't be able to have children of their own. Finally, the day came when a healthy, happy newborn foal was placed in their care. Overjoyed, the young couple named the filly 'Bright Stone,' a combination of both of their names.

Bright Calcite at her husband love their daughter dearly, and as do most parents, the young couple found raising their daughter to be an exiting journey of ups and downs as they balanced child-care and careers, foalsitters and tyranny and darkness under an evil king - you know, the usual fare for Crystal ponies. Each new day brought new and exciting (and downright terrifying) challenges, and over the years and despite a period of enslavement, Bright Stone has grown into a fine young filly. This year, however, both mother and daughter are facing a new challenge: being in the same classroom for six hours a day at school. Though Bright Calcite is a confident teacher, she's both anxious and excited to see what the coming school year will bring.

Character Summary: BC is a friendly, caring and optimistic crystal pony. Anyone having a conversation with her would immediately get the sense that she well and truly cares about them and their well-being. She always looks for the bright side of any situation, though admittedly she had a difficult time finding a ‘bright side’ to the reign of King Sombra. Also, though one wouldn't go so far as to say she’s shy, she is definitely an introvert more than an extrovert, and will always try to direct the focus of any conversation onto someone else rather than go on for ages about herself and her own accomplishments.

Bright Calcite has many fine qualities, but perhaps her most notable quality is her patience. She loves helping her students and working with them diligently until they understand the concepts she’s trying to share with them, and sometimes this takes a lot of work. She keeps her cool throughout her lessons in order to keep her students excited and inspired by the contents of her lessons.

She does realize, however, that it is possible for a teacher to be a bit too patient with her students. Indeed, one area in which she struggles as a teacher is when it comes to taking disciplinary action against her pupils. Most of the time she sees them as having a lot of creative energy and potential and they don’t really mean to cause any problems. She realizes that she’s a bit of a pushover when it comes to dealing with behaviour issues. Oh, she doesn't tolerate bullying among her students, and when there are arguments between some fillies and colts she does her best to mediate the situation. She just has such a hard time taking a stand in the face of the mischief-makers and and disruptive students.

Though her role as a teacher occupies a huge aspect of her life and some might say it defines her, it doesn't quite represent all there is to Bright Calcite. She is also a wife and a mother, and her patience and kindness does translate to her personal life as well. Her sensitive and caring nature is present in everything she does. She loves getting involved in community events and especially loves visiting the art district. She considers herself a very classy pony; she loves keeping up-to-date on the latest trends in fine fashion, listening to classical music, and going to the theatre. She enjoys drawing as a hobby, and visiting galleries in order to see the beauty of what others have created is one of her favourite things to do on weekends.

Another pastime of hers is, of course, reading books. She is always thirsting to learn more about the world around her, and she spends a lot of time not only at the library in her school, but at the Library of the Crystal empire. She is in fact on a first-name basis with many of the empire’s librarians*. She goes in once, or sometimes even twice a week to borrow books about all sorts of things. Sometimes they’re fiction books like adventure or fantasy novels, and other times she goes in looking for non-fiction books about certain topics, like history, science or sociology.

Perhaps during school holidays she might consider travelling around and seeing the rest of the world -  travel is simply interactive learning, after all, and the world beyond the borders of the Empire has certainly changed rather drastically - her social studies curriculum is sorely outdated, she’s discovered, and she’s anxious for it to change.

{*Mojo has given me permission to implicate his character, Tilly Tome, in this application.

Bright Stone and Shimmer Stone are, at the moment, NPCs, but QuickLime will be apping them when she can.}

As promised, my Crystal Empire teacher pony. :) Posted as a WIP because I'm still not quite happy with her and will probably do some tweaking. If anypony has any suggestions or ideas, they are most welcome. :)

Change Log (Times listed are Australian Eastern Standard Time)

June 4th, 2:49 AM - Application posted as [WIP]

June 8th, 10:54 PM - Made some changes and additions to history and character summary.

June 10th, 10:23 PM - Status Changed to [READY] - No further changes made to content.

June 11th, 3:55 PM - Idea! Switched back to [WIP] while I work on making some changes.

June 12th, 1:08 AM - Added some more information about Bright Calcite's family to the application, changed her living arrangements to reflect these changes.

June 12th, 9:07 AM - Cleaned up what I wrote about her family. Also switched back to [Ready]

Hello. Your friendly neighborhood Helpstaffer here.

Your application appears fine so far. When you are satisfied with it and have changed the title to Ready, I'll give it a second look over.

Thanks muchly, Lux! I pretty much just decided that even though I'm still not happy with this app, this is as good as it's going to get. If you want to read through it a second time, please do, but I really haven't changed anything since Saturday if you'd like to save yourself the trouble. ;)

Keep in mind that your app is just a start, a look into a character's past. There is no doubt that you'll expand upon what is here as you go through RPing with your pony.

I am so, so, so sorry to do this to you Lux, but I just got into a conversation about this character with someone else, and it gave me some ideas that I'd like to modify. I'm switching her back to [WIP] while I implement these changes. Again, sorry for the inconvenience. :(

Alright, sorry about that! Basically what happened was I told asked QuickLime to make a Crystal Pony filly so that Bright Calcite would have ponies to teach. QuickLime said she would if her filly could be Bright Calcite's daughter. I liked the idea of the sort of fun and embarrassing dynamic that could create too much to say no, so changes had to be made!

All changes are complete, and I'm happier with the result and ready for a review. :)

LOL QuickLime.

That's fine having someone app your siblings Jane, as I had someone app my one character's sister. Ok so now that it's ready for review I'll take care of it.

Archived