Doctor's Orders (Attn: Mojo) (PM to join)

Derpyy

HZpdA2K.png

It was just another one of those days for the doctor. He came in and went to his office and set his things down as usual, and then he would go and check on the patients in their rooms. And he loved his job! It kind of made him sad though seeing the ponies come in with their injuries. He knew that Trottingham was a vacation city and he also knew that most ponies came in with injuries due to mishaps. It made him sad because he knew the ponies didn't want to be in the hospital, they wanted to be out and having fun.

Heart finished his thoughts and then got up and readied himself. He opened the door from his office and set off down the hallways of the hospital. He was prepared for anything.

He knew that he was really the only doctor around that worked in this little hospital in Trottingham. He remembered seeing a few temporary doctors come in and work for a bit and then leave because they said, "They wanted to work at a better place."

That comment always made Heart angry. This hospital was just fine if not better. He loved it

So besides all the old memories, Heart cleared his mind and kept his pace up. He then found his way towards where most patients would arrive. He figured no patients would even show up today. He expected today be just like any other day

b0c673701a200b10bcc8fff813b0af4e94cbb89d_full.jpgDr. Stable

Walking into the Trottingham hospital was Dr. Stable, the Chief Physician of Ponyville hospital. Spotting Doctor Heart Monitor, he galloped up to him.

"Good day, Doctor. I'm Doctor Stable, here for an inspection tour of your fine facility. I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time," the unicorn physician said as a periwinkle coloured unicorn mare rushed up to them.

sml_gallery_475_9_55339.jpg

"Good morning, doctors!" Nurse Starflower shouted with a grin. "I believe you'll find everything in order on this floor. There are several patients and they all seem to be resting comfortably in their rooms."

"Excellent Nurse," Doctor Stable said as he turned to Heart Monitor. "I am ready to begin the tour, and if you don't mind, I'd like this nurse to come with us."

HZpdA2K.png

Heart turned his head to look at the pony that had arrived in front of him. He was a bit worried since this "Dr. Stable" said he was here to inspect the hospital. So Heart had no idea how to react right then but before he could formulate a response to the doctor a nurse joined them and spoke of a few patients down the hall. Heart remembered that a few ponies were in but then again, he also remembered he was just one doctor.

So Heart gathered his thoughts and tried to the best of his abilities to realize what was going on.

[colour=#8b4513]"Good Day Dr. Stable. And good day to you Nurse..."[/colour] He gave an awkward laugh since he didn't know her name. But Heart assumed that Dr. Stable and the nurse knew each other some how. So he nodded to them.

[colour=#8b4513]"Well, by all means! I have no objections to the nurse coming along. In fact, I encourage it."[/colour] He gave both of them a smile. "[colour=#8b4513]Well, if you will follow me. We can make our way to the patients rooms." [/colour]He started to trot down the hallway. As he was trotting he turned his head around to them. [colour=#8b4513]"To be honest. This surprised me greatly. I was not expecting guest. Especially a Nurse and a Doctor." [/colour]

Both Doctor Stable and Nurse Starflower looked puzzled at the Earth doctor's pronouncement.

[colour=#8B4513]"You mean to say you didn't receive a letter from the Royal Canterlot Health Department about our arrival?" [/colour]Doctor Stable asked. [colour=#8B4513]"That seems quite odd."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Could it be that this was to be a surprise inspection tour?" [/colour]the lanky unicorn mare asked.

[colour=#8B4513]"You could be correct. Oh, where are my manners? Doctor Heart Monitor, this is Nurse Starflower, a dear friend and colleague of mine. Nurse, this is Doctor Heart Monitor, head of this hospital."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Pleased to meet you, Doctor," [/colour]the periwinkle lanky unicorn mare said with a smile.

[colour=#8B4513]"Please forgive Miss Starflower's enthusiam. She obviously took the liberty of searching the first floor for any type of problems. I did NOT tell her to proceed without us," [/colour]Doctor Stable said as he gave the nurse a disapproving glare.

[colour=#800080]"Oh my," [/colour]she neighed. [colour=#800080]"I'm so sorry, doctors. This is my first time on a Royal inspection team."[/colour]

HZpdA2K.png

Heart started to think back to looking at his mail. [colour=#8b4513]"A letter?"[/colour] He put a hoof up to his chin and thought even longer. Then he shook his head and said, "[colour=#8b4513]My apologies, but I don't remember receiving any letter of any kind. Well no letter from the Royal Canterlot Health Department..."[/colour]

Heart then went wide eyed and stopped in his tracks. He began to get nervous. The Royal Canterlot Health Department...came..here? He knew they visited hospitals all over Equestria but he never imagined that they would end up here.

Through pants and frantic hoof patting Dr. Heart tried his best to act natural. [colour=#8b4513]"Well..We..we are always happy...to see members..of the Royal Canterlot."[/colour] He gulped and kept his nervous smile on. [colour=#8b4513]"Cant..Canterlot Health Department."[/colour]

Heart then gulped again and stopped moving around and panting. Before he flipped. [colour=#8b4513]"The Royal Canterlot Health Department?! Here!?"[/colour] Heart gave them a few nervous chuckles. [colour=#8b4513]"I had no idea. And i just..this is so exciting and...nerve racking. And I ...and." [/colour]Heart then looked over to Nurse Starflower. "[colour=#8b4513]And hello to you Nurse Starflower."[/colour] He then went to mumbling to himself a bit.

He turned away from them and took a heavy breath. He calmed himself down and looked back at them.[colour=#8b4513] "My..apologies again." [/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Relax, Doctor Monitor," [/colour]Dr. Stable said with a smile. [colour=#8B4513]"Nopony's reported any complaints. This is just a friendly, routine inspection."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Doctor Monitor, if I may say so, you don't look well," [/colour]Nurse Starflower commented as she levitated her stethoscope on his heart and tried to take his pulse. [colour=#800080]"Oh my! Elevated pulse and heartbeat! You seem quite disturbed."[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Calm yourself, Doctor Monitor. Is there anything Nurse Starflower or I could do to make you feel more relaxed?" [/colour]the tan furred unicorn stallion asked.

[colour=#800080]"I could give him a mild sedative," [/colour]the lanky periwinkle mare suggested.

[colour=#8B4513]"I don't think that will be necessary, Nurse..."[/colour]

HZpdA2K.png

Heart calmed himself down and relaxed. He was happy to know that there weren't any problems or complaints with the hospital he worked at. They were just here for an inspection. [colour=#8b4513]"I see."[/colour] He gave Dr. Stable a small chuckle. [colour=#8b4513]"I apologize again..for losing myself there." [/colour]

Then Heart shook his head at the Nurse and Dr. Stable.[colour=#8b4513] "I do believe the sedative won't be necessary."[/colour] He nodded to Dr. Stable. "Just as you said." He laughed yet again and then looked on down the hallway with the patient's rooms. [colour=#8b4513]"Thank you for your concern Nurse."[/colour] He gave her a nice smile.[colour=#8b4513] "If you would follow me. We can continue towards the rooms." [/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Excellent, Doctor Monitor," [/colour]Dr Stable neighed with a nod, [colour=#8B4513]"by all means, lead the way."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Thank you, Doctor," [/colour]added Nurse Starflower as the lanky periwinkle unicorn mare observed the walls in the hallways. [colour=#800080]"This hospital has very clean walls, that is important for health and hygenie. Do you have a large support staff here?"[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Nurse, please do not pepper our host with too many questions," [/colour]the tan unicorn stallion neighed. [colour=#8B4513]"I'm sure the good Doctor will give us all those kind of details during our tour."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Sorry Doctor Stable, I didn't mean to overstep my authority, but I am curious to know about this hospital's staffing."[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"All in good time, my dear," [/colour]Dr Stable said as he turned towards his medical colleague, [colour=#8B4513]"where shall we begin, Doctor Monitor?"[/colour]

HZpdA2K.png

After feeling a bit flattered by what Dr. Stable said Heart focused on the tour. "Oh no! The questions are very well welcomed!" He gave them both a happy smile. "Yes. Hygiene and Health are among our top priorities here. Now that doesn't mean we force brush all of our patients teeth." He gave a good laugh at his joke and then continued on.

And there was the question. The hospital's staffing. It was fine on its own..but with only the few employees that worked here..things could become problematic very quickly. "Oh yes. The staff. Well, it certainly doesn't bother me. Anypony should be entitled to asking questions." He shuffled his hooves a bit. [colour=#8b4513]"As for the staff. We don't have many working ponies here. We have some..but not as many as I hoped for." [/colour]He gave a small agitated sigh.[colour=#8b4513] "Nothing to worry about though! We will continue to work, no matter how small the staff team is. I'm sure the staff size here looks like a fraction of the staff size you have back at...Canterlot? You said?"[/colour] He nodded to the two ponies before looking down a long hallway.

[colour=#8b4513]"To begin the tour how about we just go down this hallway. This is one of the main hallways here in this hospital. Being only one story, we make use of the elongated halls and spacey atmosphere."[/colour] Heart pointed towards a door that had a patient inside of if. The door was closed. [colour=#8b4513]"We have a patient inside of this room, but we have many other rooms for our patients to recuperate."[/colour]

There were two hallways. One on each end of the main room. Every room in the hallways were patients rooms. There were a few with patients in them. Each room was pretty much the same. The windows in each of the rooms displayed a wondrous view of a lake in Trottingham. Heart would often find himself standing in a patient's room for quite some time...awkwardly staring out of the window. This hospital was in a prime location. It had easy access and a few things out back for therapy for ponies. Such as paths for them to walk on and a few small games and such. Heat had always wanted a golf course out near the back. He didn't play the game he just felt like it would look peaceful.

He was sure he would show them the views and what not later.

[colour=#8B4513]"I do like the look of all these facilities, Doctor," [/colour]Dr. Stable said as the unicorn stallion walked with him and Starflower. [colour=#8B4513]"Do you agree, Nurse Starflower?"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"I certainly do!" [/colour]the lanky unicorn mare replied, [colour=#800080]"Would it be possible to look in on one of your current patients, Doctor Monitor?"[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Excellent suggestion! If our host is agreeable to this, then we shall do this," [/colour]Dr. Stable spoke. [colour=#8B4513]"By the way, Doctor, what do you do for relaxation in your spare time? I enjoy an occasional game of crochet myself. Do you play?"[/colour]

HZpdA2K.png

Heart nodded to Dr. Stable and Nurse Starflower. "I'm sure it would be perfectly fine to drop by and visit one of our patients!" Heart then looked past a few doors and then picked one room. He looked at the clipboard on the door. It was a pegasus patient in the room who had injured herself while flying. He had spoken to her before. He decided she wouldn't mind the company.

Heart opened up the door and went on in. [colour=#8b4513]"Good morning! I hope everything is going alright for you!" [/colour]Heart gave the injured pony a smile and looked back to the doctor and the nurse. [colour=#8b4513]"This poor pegasus got herself injured while flying. Hurts my eyes seeing a pegasus with an injured wing."[/colour] Heart looked away from the pegasus and out one of the window.

[colour=#8b4513]"Crochet? Well that sounds interesting! I myself have never played the game but I would love to try." [/colour]Heart put a hoof up to his chin and and thought for a second.[colour=#8b4513] "As for me. I always enjoy reading a good book here and there. Or catching a good show." [/colour]Heart then moved his hoof in a horizontal motion across the window. [colour=#8b4513]"Ever played the game of golf Dr. Stable? I have played it a few times and I absolutely love it. Wouldn't mind having a good course out there." [/colour]

Doctor Stable and Nurse Starflower followed their host into the patient room, each nodded in acknowledgement of Doctor Heart Monitor's words.

[colour=#8B4513]"All appears to be in order here," [/colour]the unicorn stallion said with a smile as he looked down at the patient and then at his mare partner, "[colour=#8B4513]do you concur?"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Yes Doctors," [/colour]the lanky periwinkle unicorn mare added, levitating a cold compress and gently placed it on the patient's forehead. [colour=#800080]"Very excellent level of care."[/colour]

As the trio exited the room, Doctor Stable turned to his host.

[colour=#8B4513]"Golf? I have to confess, Doctor Monitor, I've never played the game before. Is it much like crochet?"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"I've played golf, but I'm afraid I'm not too good at it."[/colour].

HZpdA2K.png

Now feeling rather flattered, Heart tried his best to keep the smile off of his face. He couldn't help it.

[colour=#8b4513]"My apologies Dr. Stable. But, like you with Golf, I have never played the game of Crochet. I am sorry to say that I have earthly idea if the games are similar." [/colour]

Heart turned and gave Nurse Starflower a nod. [colour=#8b4513]"No worries. I am not that good at the game either. It just...is fun to play really. Perhaps sometime in the future we could all have a day where we play Golf and Crochet together."[/colour] He gave a small laugh before clearing his throat.

Heart knew where he wanted to take the two next but it would be just a bit of a walk to get there. Just a bit. So he figured he could ask a question or two.

[colour=#8b4513]"Would it be alright if I asked you both..what it is like working in Canterlot? I've often wondered this myself." [/colour]

Dr. Stable and Nurse Starflower looked at each other, and then back at their host before answering his question.

[colour=#8B4513]"I did my residency in Canterlot, Doctor Monitor, and the city life was very fast paced. I made many friends there, but often I found some of the unicorns I encountered there as somewhat, snobbish. Perhaps this is why when I was offered the position of Chief Doctor of Ponyville Hospital, I was happy to accept. Ponyville is a much quieter town, I do enjoy living there. However, I am still a member of the Royal Canterlot Health Department and since I and Miss Starflower were the closest Department members to this town, they sent us here for the inspection."[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513][colour=#800080]"My story is very similar to Dr. Stable's. I also studied in Canterlot, in the Nursing School there. It was my personal dream to open a clinic in a town that was too small for a full fledged hospital, and I did precisely that, It was nice of the Royal Canterlot Health Department to offer me a position on their board too. We meet as a board quarterly in Canterlot, though most of us are serving in medical positions all over Equestria. In fact, we are currently recruiting a new member from the Crystal Empire to join the Department Board. Hopefully, we can do that in the near future."[/colour][/colour]

• 2 months later...

(OOC: First off Mojo I would like to sincerely apologize for not posting. This whole time I was thinking you were the one who needed to reply..but it was me :( Again, I'm sorry! Haha)

Heart raised an eyebrow as he listened to each of their stories. "Well I'm happy to hear that everything is going well for the both of you." He gave them each nods before looking to Dr. Stable. "I imagined ponies in Canterlot would seem rather snobbish. But it is a different lifestyle in that city. Different than Trottingham. " He gave a small laugh.

"Crystal empire you say? That's impressive! I have always wanted to visit the Crystal Empire myself." He rolled his eyes. "Oh here I go again...telling you both about places I wish I could visit. I tend to do that to new ponies you see." He gave a small smile to the duo. He was actually warming up to the ponies and didn't feel so awkward around them. They all studied medicine at some point in their lives so they all had that in common. "I hate to ask this next question but I am just curious. Is this hospital the first one to be visited by the Royal Canterlot Health Department?"

(ooc): No problem!

"Indeed Heart Monitor, this is our first stop," Dr. Stable said with a smile, "And from what I've seen so far, this facility certainly deserves a passing grade. Do you concur, Nurse Starflower?"

"Yes, I certainly do," the periwinkle unicorn mare replied, "you do have a lot to be proud of here, Doctor. Shall we break for lunch?"

"Excellent idea, Nurse! After all, sampling this hospital's food is also part of our evaluation process. Doctor Heart Monitor, shall we dine together at your cafeteria?"

• 1 month later...

HZpdA2K.png

All of the things the two said caused the brown earth pony to blush and smile slightly. He shuffled his hooves and then cleared his throat. "Yes well, I just do my job and what not.." The earth pony cleared his throat again. "Oh dining? Oh yes! Let us! Come come!"

The stallion led the two down one of the hallways and entered the door at the end. Once he opened it the smell of food filled his nose. It was just a regular hospital cafeteria. Nothing special and nothing out of the ordinary. "Well in here we have a wide variety of food choices. Though some of the food items are for specific patients only. You know how it is I'm sure. But you two can have any of it!" The foods ranged from simple hay sandwiches to soups to all sorts of equine friendly foods. There was a row of deserts and gelatin to choose from as well. Heart had his eyes on one of the sandwiches that had been pre made. "Now, I'll be over at one of the tables here, so once you two get your food you can join me. I'm getting one of those hay sandwiches." He nodded to them and then went to get his wich and to sit down.

"Thank you, Doctor," Doctor Stable said as he joined Nurse Starflower in the serving line, "that hay sandwich that Doc Monitor had looked very good, I think I'll have one for myself."

"Take note, Doctor, of all the healthy choices here," Starflower said as she levitated her tray, "nice variety of fruits and vegetables. I will have some salad and a bowl of carrot soup!"

"Excellent! Carrot soup will go well with my sandwich," the tan pelted unicorn stallion said as he levitated items unto his tray. Soon, both visiting ponies joined their host at his table.

"I do give your cafeteria high marks for healthy cuisine," Starflower said as she started to eat her salad.

"Healthy food maintain healthy bodies, I always say," added Doctor Stable. "Tell me, Doctor, do you have a regular supplier for the hospital's food items? Are they a local outfit, or are the foodstuffs brought in from other areas of Equestria?"

• 1 month later...

Heart watched as his two guests chose what foods they wanted. It had been a while since Heart ate, for he skipped breakfast this morning. The stallion eyed his sandwich before he decided to go in. He was seated at his table and took hold of his sandwich with his front hooves and took one big bite. He savored the delicious sandwich and chewed it as usual.

He took another bite and saw his two guests sit next to him as well. Right when he took another bite he was asked a question. He quickly swallowed his bite and nodded to the two. "Oh well yes, well. We have a few stores in the city that provide some food items for our cafe here. We have a regular supply to keep our food going. And well.." A few chuckles came through as a smile broke out. "On occasion we have a few lovely staff members here that will cook special food items. Like for holidays and such. It helps give our patients smiles."

The doctor looked down and put his front hooves down. He still had half of his sandwich left and he intended to eat the rest of it. "I hate to ask the same questions as both of you but now I'm interested. What about for the hospital in Ponyville?"

"I believe Doctor Stable can best answer that question," Nurse Starflower said as she finished her own sandwich.

"Well Doctor Monitor," Doctor Stable began to speak, "At the Ponyville Hospital, we try to find local suppliers for our food whenever we can. For example, our apples are purchased from Sweet Apple Acres, our carrots from a local farming mare, and so forth. There are some items that cannot be grown or found locally in large quantities, such as hay, and for those, we have arrangements with farms from the Nimbusgait Lakes. As you are well aware, hay is a staple in much hospital cuisine. Many hospital patients are on restricted diets, and hay seems to be one of those foods that can be used in many ways."

"You did say, Doctor Monitor, that staff members cook special items for holidays and other occasions, and that's very commendable! It is good to see this level of involvement in the functions of the hospital. May I ask, are there also community programs in place at this hospital, such as organized volunteers, both youth and adult?"

"Good question, Nurse! How about nurse's training programs? We have one at Ponyville hospital, with several mares and even an exceptional filly who has shown great promise."

Archived