The only people who don't like MLP have never seen it. Fact or Fiction?

pollo20x6

I have to disagree with the idea. While most of the friends I've shown MLP to joined the herd, there are a small handful that just flat out didn't like the show. I can respect it, though. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is one of the best TV shows I've ever watched, and that's my opinion of it. Like all opinions, not everyone is going to agree with it, which is also something I completely respect.

Fiction, I believe that there are SOME people who have seen MLP that don't approve. Although, the people at my school who make fun of me for it have probably never seen it yet. So, it really depends on what kind of people we're talking about.

I believe the only people who hate mlp have never seen it. Like my friend, in the video I posted, didn't like the show, but he appreciated some of the factors that makes it good.

If someone sees the show, maybe a couple episodes, they might be able to see why some people like it. Even if they don't.

All the people who I've ever met who insult the show or the fans are people I know have never watched an ep.

Like everything, there'd probably an exception, but that's my take on it.

I believe the only people who hate mlp have never seen it. Like my friend, in the video I posted, didn't like the show, but he appreciated some of the factors that makes it good.

If someone sees the show, maybe a couple episodes, they might be able to see why some people like it. Even if they don't.

All the people who I've ever met who insult the show or the fans are people I know have never watched an ep.

Like everything, there'd probably an exception, but that's my take on it.

It all comes down to people's preferences for media. I know a bunch of people that just either A) don't like the show or B) I know is so far outside of their preference zone that they will hate it. If not for the content, the sole reason of them going in with a coloured notion of whether they would like it or not. This broad generalization is not a good thing, and is the reason why people dislike bronies in the first place. They /force/ the show on others thinking it is the greatest cartoon ever. It simply isn't. It is a good show yes, but not one that is free from being disliked by a large number of people. In fact, outside of this site, I only talk about it with maybe 3 IRL friends. No one else knows I like it, or if they do they easily forget, because I don't talk about shows that my friends don't watch or don't want to watch. If I honestly think someone will enjoy a show I recommend it (save a few exceptions (and MLP is NOT one of those exceptions)), otherwise I keep my media preferences to myself unless called upon in a conversation.

Strive to recognize and celebrate individuality rather than feel people should like something you do just because you think it is good. And being proud that what you like is liked by many others.

In the end, MLP has dissipated enough into iuternet culture that anyone that MIGHT like it has either a) been exposed and should know if it is up their alley or not or b) they simply don't care enough to give it a go. Either way it is fine. And your mindset is harmful, not only to the fandom, but your friends and people around you.

It all comes down to people's preferences for media. I know a bunch of people that just either A) don't like the show or B) I know is so far outside of their preference zone that they will hate it.

But just because something is out of someone's preference zone should be no reason to hate something.

Game of thrones is way out of my preference zone. Like, waaaay out there.

but I don't hate it. I admire the sets and some of the characters. Not enough to hold my attention, but I see why its one of the most popular shows on tv. Even tho I disliked almost everything.

I've yet to meet someone who hates mlp for rational reasons.

Again, like my friend, he disliked everyone except for rainbow dash. Twilight was too stressful. Pinkie pie was annoying. Fluttershy was frustrating. The only reason rainbow dash wasn't disliked like the rest was because she was seen like a female sonic the hedgehog.

He didn't care about the plots. He knew rainbow dash was going to create a sonic rainboom and that twilight would learn not to stress out. Predictable as the rising sun, he said.

He did say the animation was pleasant to look at, but other than that, he was just like me with game of thrones. He didnt like basically everything, yet he saw why bronies exist.

I also know another guy who liked absolutely nothing about it. Animation, characters, story. Nothing.

He still didn't hate it. Hate is a word that is thrown around way too easily.

If the show was harmful for kids or has some kinda detrimental effect, then I can understand the hate.

The purpose of the video I made was basically to "disprove" (cuz lets be honest, its clearly fiction) that not everyone who watches mlp would like it. My friend saw it, didnt like it and said "hey, why don't we make a video. You like it. I don't. It'll be fun".

Like you said, strive and celebrate individuality.

And that's what we tried to do with my friend's "review" video. Posted on page 1, if you're interested. It pretty much answered the fact or fiction question from the beginning...

:lol:

I don't think you understand. The show is probably outside of your comfort zone, not preference zone. I have friends that loathe slice of life shows. That is exactly what MLP is. Sure, like with music there are probably exceptions to those preference zones, but the chances are so slim it is better to not bother, especially considering the stigma that the brony community has. If they want to give it a go, they will, but forcing it onto them knowing their contempt for the genre is insulting to them. It isn't even about being targeted towards little girls, it is about the type of show it is.

That little tibit is fiction. I have plenty of friends who gave the show a chance, but it didn't really set with them. Even though they like slice of life shows. It's not a matter of comfort zone, or preference zone, but it's LITERALLY if they like the show or not. Remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion as long as it's fair.

Fair meaning that they did give something a chance, or see where you are coming from before saying they don't like it. And it's your duty to respect that. Not to be a pretentious jerk. You can't change someone's opinion for them.

As mentioned multiple times in this thread. It's just that taste difference. And levels of appreciation differ. Sure, you may be able to admire the sets of the game of thrones. But it doesn't mean that everyone else can appreciate the efforts behind the making of shows.

If they want to give it a go, they will, but forcing it onto them knowing their contempt for the genre is insulting to them.

This is probably where you and I are very different. Maybe, if I am understanding correctly.

Between my friends and I, we always have to give a show a try, even if we probably won't like it.

I don't like anime. I don't like the mannerisms, the stories, the animation.

Japanese animation isn't my thing.

but every couple weeks, my friends find a new something to watch and of those times, it was an anime.

Even tho they know I dislike it and even tho I know I dislike it, I was pretty much forced to watch an ep because I understand not to knock something until I try it. If I refused, I would get the "don't knock it till you try it" speech.

I don't find it insulting because I believe people really ought to give everything a try. By avoiding things we think or predict that we'll dislike, we create a bubble that is filled with preconceptions. So even tho I dislike anime, there's always a chance I learn something new. Maybe have a better understanding of why people like anime so much. And if I understand anime fans a little more, I'm less likely to feel any hate towards the genre or the fans. And thats why I feel hate is too strong of a word. I believe it stems from misunderstandings. Dislike and hate are words I see being mixed all the time. Although the person saying "I hate ___" might mean "I dislike ___", the word hate brings a much more negative feel to the conversation. Heck, the definition of hate is "an intense or passionate dislike for something". Its like a beefed up version of dislike. And over a tv show? C'mon. Save the hate for something worth it.

But to just be clear on something, we never go beyond making someone watch multiple episodes. First ep is usually the acceptable "forced" episode. Sometimes its three. Usually one, tho.

And I'm usually the one being "forced" cuz I'm the one who's least willing to try new things. I guess I just have a very open minded group of friends.

This is probably where you and I are very different. Maybe, if I am understanding correctly.

Between my friends and I, we always have to give a show a try, even if we probably won't like it.

I don't like anime. I don't like the mannerisms, the stories, the animation.

Japanese animation isn't my thing.

but every couple weeks, my friends find a new something to watch and of those times, it was an anime.

Even tho they know I dislike it and even tho I know I dislike it, I was pretty much forced to watch an ep because I understand not to knock something until I try it. If I refused, I would get the "don't knock it till you try it" speech.

I don't find it insulting because I believe people really ought to give everything a try. By avoiding things we think or predict that we'll dislike, we create a bubble that is filled with preconceptions. So even tho I dislike anime, there's always a chance I learn something new. Maybe have a better understanding of why people like anime so much. And if I understand anime fans a little more, I'm less likely to feel any hate towards the genre or the fans. And thats why I feel hate is too strong of a word. I believe it stems from misunderstandings. Dislike and hate are words I see being mixed all the time. Although the person saying "I hate ___" might mean "I dislike ___", the word hate brings a much more negative feel to the conversation. Heck, the definition of hate is "an intense or passionate dislike for something". Its like a beefed up version of dislike. And over a tv show? C'mon. Save the hate for something worth it.

But to just be clear on something, we never go beyond making someone watch multiple episodes. First ep is usually the acceptable "forced" episode. Sometimes its three. Usually one, tho.

And I'm usually the one being "forced" cuz I'm the one who's least willing to try new things. I guess I just have a very open minded group of friends.

Anime isn't a genre. If you don't like everything else in it, then fine. But if someone says they can't stand [genre], it's usually a fair guess that they won't like [thing inside genre]. Slice of life is a very difficult sell for some people because of how it is structured. There is no constant story. They know why people like it, but at the same time they know why they don't like it. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" - Albert Einstein. They gave the genre a try many times on several different occasions, from live action to western animation to eastern animation... None of the slice of life type shows clicked with them. After a certain point it becomes a waste of time. IF it is a recommendation of someone who knew or had the same sorts of tastes it is different. But recommending something because you like it and you just assume it is so good that another person will despite it being outside of their preferences is disrespectful.

Here is an example... I resisted reading Twilight for AGES. My friend finally gave me the book (let me borrow it really) and said "Read it! It's really great." This person knew I was extremely critical of anything that used vampire lore, and knew I hated tween romance novels. Within 5 chapters I felt I had wasted my life reading something that was doomed from the start to capture me. I told her so... Her reaction... "Yeah... I suppose I was so excited over it I forgot you didn't like that sort of thing.... sorry..." In the end you have to consider the person you are recommending things to. It isn't about being close-minded, it is about being conscientious of someone else.

Archived