[Cloudsdale] Caffeine Kick (Monochrome)

It had been nerve-wracking, as it always was, going into the coffee shop before or after school. His mother didn't want him to have coffee, and he felt kind of guilty for deliberately disobeying his mother, but... Tawny loved coffee! There was nothing that tasted better, and for a few split seconds, drinking coffee made him feel... different. He still felt very, very nervous after drinking coffee, but he also felt invincible. Like whatever was going to cause problems, he could deal with. He didn't usually feel that way. It took some time convincing the adults in charge that he was allowed to drink coffee, even though, he was very, very young, but he had finally managed to secure a table and his order.

The best thing about sitting at a table in Cloudsdale was that the clouds were so much more comfortable to sit on than the ground. He cast a nervous glance over his shoulder, hoping nopony he knew, especially not his mother, would catch him at the coffee shop. And so, he waited for his order to come. A double expresso shot with extra cream and some vanilla.

A silvery grey pegasus rushed about, filling orders and delivering coffees to the correct customers. She was a bit clumsy, and tripped over her own paint-splattered hooves a few times, luckily only spilling somepony's drink once. She froze for a moment as she passed by one of the tables. I wonder what somepony so young is doing here? she thought. She snapped to attention when another order was pronounced ready. "For the young one over there." the other worker said, nodding towards the little colt that Monochrome had passed earlier. Monochrome nodded and took the tray, inhaling the coffee's rich scent as she wound her way between the tables to reach the customer.

Tawny watched the waitress approach and grimaced a bit, recognizing her as the pony that spilled somepony else's drink. He was beginning to rethink whether he should be there or not. He scooted a little closer to the window in hopes that he would be able to avoid any potential coffee spilling the waitress might do. He smiled at her; a wide, nervous grin. When she arrived with the coffee, he averted his eyes and muttered a quick, "thank you."

"You're welcome." she replied, staring for a moment, then quickly staring in a slightly different direction to avoid an uncomfortable moment. "You seem a bit young to be hanging around a coffee shop. And drinking espresso, for that matter. Eh, but if you've got permission, I guess you're alright." she said with a smile and a shrug. She suddenly turned her attention to outside. A sizeable mass of dark clouds was creeping its way across the sky. "Looks like they have serious storm scheduled for today. You might end up sticking around longer than planned." she added thoughtfully.

Tawny developed a bit of a guilty look at Monochrome's mention of him being a colt, drinking espresso, and having permission. He didn't have permission at all! He sweated a little and took a quick couple of gulps of the espresso in front of him. He shot her another nervous grin. Then, he glanced outside, noticing the dark clouds. He looked back at the pegasus waitress with even wider eyes than before.

"A storm is scheduled for today?! WHAT?! B-but, but... I have school! I can't stick around! What if I get reported absent, and then my mother will find out, and then she'll be wondering where I was and she'll figure out that I was here when I wasn't supposed to be here and then I'll never get to drink anything coffee-related ever again and I'll be grounded for THE REST OF MY LIFE!" It was all said so fast that he had scarcely taken a breath. He took in a great, deep one now. He swigged down the rest of the espresso, his wings flapping open, he flew towards the door as fast as he could. With not even a good-bye, he left.

Then, the thunder, lightning, and rain started. The sand-coloured pegasus bolted back through the door and hid behind the waitress, looking soaked and shaking with fear. "Aaaaaah! I hate lightning! What am I going to do? What am I going to DO?!" He darted out from behind the waitress, hiding underneath a table and covering his eyes. "I'm doooooomed!"

"Relax, they'll probably either cancel school for today or they'll understand that you couldn't make it because of the storm. But... Not supposed to be here, eh? Well, don't worry, I won't tell anypony." Monochrome said lightheartedly. She darkened for a moment as a worry seemed to cross her mind. "I hope Ivan and Saunderson will do all right without me through the storm... I think I left all the windows closed...?" she added in a murmur to nopony in particular. She rushed off to deliver another coffee to a customer, then came back to Tawny. "So...." Monochrome said blankly, seeming to be running out of conversation ideas. "Did you know that male platypi have poisonous spurs in their hind feet?" she blurted out after a moment of silence.

"Don't worry?" Tawny's eyes darted left and right. "Don't worry?! You want me to not worry with all those gigantic dark clouds out there full of lightning, school may or may not be cancelled, and MY MOTHER MIGHT FIND OUT I'VE BEEN HERE?!" Thunder sounded outside, and Tawny gave a whimper. He really didn't like storms. He scrambled out from under the table and looked around wildly. His hooves were moving seemingly without volition.

"How can you talk about playtpi at a time like this?!" Suddenly, he stopped and stiffened. He turned back to the waitress, eyes wide. "Wait, are those things here? How did they get in Cloudsdale? Why doesn't anypony else know? AH! I don't want to be poisoned by a platypus!" He spread his wings and flew upright, searching the ground for any poisonous platypus.

Perhaps there was a good reason why his mother didn't like her son having coffee.

Monochrome stifled a laugh and flew up to the colt. "Calm down, they only live down on the land, and it's just a defense mechanism. Also... Not sure what to tell you about your mother finding out you were here, I'm sure you'll think of something to cover yourself." she said, ruffling the colt's mane and gently leading him back to the floor. "And about the storm... Hey, at least it's not a parasprite infestation." she added. One of her forest green eyes drifted off in another direction for a moment, but quickly corrected itself as she blinked.

Tawny felt a little comforted by the young mare's patience and gentleness with him, and he seemed to relax a little. He was still casting nervous glances in various directions, and he cringed every time he heard thunder. He blinked at Monochrome. "Parasprites?" He wasn't sure what they are, but they sounded scary. Anything that was accompanied with the word "infestation" couldn't be a good thing. His eyes widened a bit. "What are those?"

"Oh, you haven't heard of them? Adorable little creatures, eat everything, multiply by coughing up another parasprite after eating something? No? Huh." she said with a shrug. The storm outside showed no signs of stopping anytime soon. Monochrome rushed off to deliver another order, stumbling a bit and winding her way back to the colt. "So... I don't think I caught your name, kid. Mine's Monochrome." She said, sitting down with him. Her messy black mane fell into her face, and she brushed it to the side with a paint-splattered hoof.

"That sounds... gross," Tawny said, uncertainly. Whatever the creature was, it didn't look like there was anything of that sort in the coffee shop. He smiled a little at the waitress. "My name's Tawny. It's nice to meet you, Miss Monochrome." He frowned a little, noting her hooves. "Gee, uh... I hope I don't sound rude, but shouldn't you wash your hooves before you work in a shop like this? It'd be terrible if somepony got sick." He looked down, hoping he hadn't made her angry.

"Nice to meet you too." Monochrome replied warmly. "Oh," she added with a chuckle. "I do wash them, I just paint so much that it's stained my hooves." Just then, a large, dark creature flew through the window, skidding to a halt on their table. "Ivan!" Monochrome scolded the raven. "Sorry." the ebony bird croaked, feathers ruffled. Monochrome placed a hoof on her forehead. "Well, uh, Tawny, this is my raven, Ivan. He's really not supposed to be here." she said, gesturing towards the large bird. "Hello." it cawed loudly.

Tawny jumped when the bird flew in through the window. "AH!" He backed up a few feet and didn't seem to calm down until Monochrome started speaking to it and about it. "Oh, uh, your pet. Right. Uh, hi." He waved a hoof at the large, black bird, but he was eyeing it in a way that suggested he wasn't entirely sure if the bird was going to bite him or not. "Nice... bird." He smiled at it. "I like birds." Small, unintimidating birds, of course, but if this one was friendly, he'd like it, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Monochrome grinned and smoothed the bird's ruffled black feathers with her hoof. "I like birds too." she said cheerfully, pausing and seeming to take note of Tawny's unease. "No need to be afraid of Ivan. He may be big, but he's just a big softie." she added, searching the bird's feathers intently, seeming to be looking for something in particular. "I assume he brought Saunderson.... Ah! There he is." she mumbled, plucking a small orange and brown lizard from the raven's underwing feathers. "My leopard gecko, Saunderson." she explained to Tawny, holding out the brightly coloured little reptile, who had obviously lost his tail before, as it was pink, which was only as long as her hoof. "He's a bit feistier around new ponies, but he'll just make a funny little noise at you. Even if he did bite, he doesn't really have teeth anyways. Geckos eat soft little crickets and mealworms, so they don't need teeth."

• 4 weeks later...

*Due to decisions to restructure the forum and trim unneeded sections, the Private RP Forum will soon be removed. As such, recently active RP threads in this section have been moved to the sections in the WoE we deemed to be the best fit for them. If you would prefer your thread be moved to another section in WoE, or to a Free RP section, please contact a moderator and we will be happy to move it as you desire.*

~Canterlot.com staff.