Maybelle, crossover or canon?

Pinkameena

Reading the official IDW. comics, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, issue 5, you come across a character, named Maybelle, obviously she is a refrance to Mabel Pines, from Gravity Falls:

280821__safe_twilight%2Bsparkle_rainbow%2Bdash_pinkie%2Bpie_rarity_applejack_comic_crossover_idw_official_species%2Bswap_spoiler-colon-comic_gravity%2Bfalls_saddle%2Bbag_mabel%2Bpines_20%2525%2Bcooler_maybe.png

tumblr_mnol1gRTtI1sndv3bo1_500.png

So I wanted to know if you'd consider her, cannon, or crossover?

Edited by Rosewind
It would be respectful to the other forum users to use a normal font size for discussions.

For this case, I'll take a third, unproclaimed option: reference. It's a look-a-like pony that only existed within the nightmares of Rarity. It's more of a reference to the character than the actual character herself. So because of that, I wouldn't consider it a cross-over. I also wouldn't consider her canonical either, because I don't consider the pony to be the actual Mabel.

(AKA, not canon/cross-over because it's reference, unless if I'm missing something.)

• Like 1

I personally consider the comics to be spinoff canon, inspired heavily by the cartoon canon. This is often a point of contention as far as roleplay design goes, because we often have players that want to play parody crossover characters that make brief appearances in the cartoon or comics, such as the Big Lebowski bowling ponies.

Another parallel example would be the Sonic SatAM cartoon canon, which inspired the wildly different and long-running Archie comic canon.

They're both interpretations of the same property. However you file them in your personal headcanon is completely up to you.

Protip: Use the normal font size, please! Your forum mates will thank you!