A meeting of minds (Tiktaalik, Closed, PM for possible invite)

Harv0kz

It was one of those normal routine days in the city of Manehatten. Ponies went about their business in swarms of middle-class ponies. It was the lunch hour of the day, and it was understandable why ponies would be shoving each other around as they tried to find a decent meal to help them along the day. In the shadows of the tall buildings and long stretches of sidewalk, many found it hard to move between crowds, rather thinking it would be better to squeeze into them and go with the flow. The sun shone down on the ponies, but instead of seeing it as a sign of a good day, it was a more, blazing sun that wore out the ponies the longer they stood in the heat. But towards the outer areas, there was a little more peace, something one pony wanted now more than anything since he stepped back into the town.

He had been on the road for sometime, but Solven Sprockethooves was finally happy to be back in Manehatten. If more than anything, the place felt more homely than Canterlot, which was full of snobs and posers, ponies who thought they stood on the edge of supremacy. Well, if he counted social and economical status as power. Solven, more than anything, recognized the advancement of the mind as a better achievement than just simply gaining a few bits. But he cast those thoughts away, just like every other time, because he knew his time in this place was short if he wanted to keep to his travelling schedule. Beside, he had a library book to return. Though he found the contents amusing enough to have paid the library for damages anyway by scrapping the text, he was low on bits, a slight miscalculation on his part in observing the markets.

As he walked straight through the crowds, he could see why some ponies did move out of the way, the long glances at the things he carried on his back, the most prominent a weapon of some kind. But he still had to push through those beating the afternoon rush. And after a few hours, he finally made it to the library, after much forcing his way through the crowds. The library appeared old, but reputable and venerated, Pillars supporting it's room stood tall, and the big doors, though unused in years, were still imposingly big to even him. He walked inside to the cooler library, where it had been built to maximize the amount of air that came in to the library.

The Librarian at the desk saw Solven, and excitedly greeted him with a wave as he approached the front desk. "Sol! It's been a long time, how have you been?." She said in a loud whisper as she put her hoof over the counter. Solven pulled out the book and gently dropped it on the counter before bumping her hoof, and putting his library card ontop on the book. "It's been a long day, could've been worse if I was broke. I managed to bring the back the book this time without 'vandalism'" he said, adding a slight chuckle at the end, he had a sometimes obsessive knack for rewriting what most ponies could've considered right, and Solven considered wrong. "Oh you..." the Librarian said as she took the book and did the necessary administrative work. She was quite young, but focused on her job. "By the way, your card's expired. I'll have to renew it, standard fee." she added. Being good enough friends to help each other out, Solven didn't want to worry her, and just simply passed over the bits. "I'll be waiting here then, usual area if I don't come out." he said with a smile, before leaving for that part of the Library...

Which was full of books that even normal ponies wouldn't touch on a dare. Books on the intricacies of science, magic, and even both of them working at the same time. Solven, as usual, just picked up a book randomlyoff the shelf, and found a table, and began to read. But as he turned the cover, his face fell in disappointment. The title read: The relationships between Arcane Kinematics and Neighton's laws. He let out a silent groan with an accompanying though. Not this stuff again...

It had been a long journey, but Nougat had finally made it to Manehatten. Though, he had almost no interest in the city itself, save for one building in particular: its library. He'd heard it was...impressive. And, he'd exhausted all of his local ones of books he was interested in. He wanted more, like usual, even if it meant coming all the way from his home in Germaney. Maybe he'd hit the places he'd passed along the way... But! This wasn't the time for that. He had books to hunt after. If he could find his way, anyways. He'd never been in a city quite like this, and ended up bumped and nudged around by the crowds for most of his time here.

He was he was going the right direction, though...even if progress was slow. He glanced all around as he wandered along, not even acknowledging one ponies that had either bumped into him or he'd bumped into at this point. And then, he saw it; or, at least he assumed this was it. Well, it was impressive on the outside, at least. He picked up his pace, trotting closer to get a better look, and confirmed it. Nougat's eyes lit up, though the rest of his face remained rather straight.

He peered around inside briefly, before fully entering, admiring the interior. Only for a moment, though. He had no time for gawking at aesthetics. In his haste, he'd completely overlooked actually getting a card or anything, simply trotting far into a section of books with long titles and big words. In a fairly scatterbrained fashion, he grabbed all sorts, not sticking to any one subject at a time. Technical books on magic, engineering, even ones on the beasts and creatures o the land; scientific books in general.

Wanting to waste no more time, he trotted over a to a table awkwardly on his back hooves, carrying what was probably too many books for anypony... He quickly plopped the down, his eyes scanning over them. Which one first, he wondered... Well, he'd been curious of changelings lately, so he chose Physicalities of Changelings to start off with. Probably a fairly easy read. For him, anyways.

But before he opened it, he became briefly distracted with a nearby pony, who had some very...interesting apparatus or several on his person. And an equally intriguing mark on his flank... He didn't seem overly concerned that his hawing might be rude or strange, either. However, his book won out in the end, and he opened it, skimming impatiently through it at first.

Likewise, telekinetic spells must effect the object it is manipulating by respecting the Kinematic laws of physics, however, Neighton discovered that, there are some substances that only certain spells can, and cannot effect. A basic telekinesis spell is too porous for gaseous materials, likewise, a spell designed for telekinetic manipulation of gases is too weak for solid objects...

"Absolute rubbish. By careful manipulation of the telekinetic magic at work, a pony is able to manipulate both solid and gaseous objects at the same time, as well as freely move the said object in any direction with any force possible, no matter their total weight, although a bigger mass means more magic needs to be channelled, something that needs to be done by machines." he silently muttered in monologue. He swiftly grabbed an object from his bag while his eyes were fixated on that horrible statement, and alongside the book now was a solid, crystalline tablet that glowed a soft orange due to the reflections of the magic inside the crystal. He then pulled a quill, and in an act of crazed fanaticism, began to re-annotate the book according to the correct way it should have been told.

Meanwhile, the Librarian had managed to come up behind Solven, and sure as heck smacked him lightly on the head with a roll of parchment. "Dang it Solven! I knew it was too good to be true." she whispered harshly, looking at the book. "At least it isn't an expensive one. not a lot of bits." But Solven was already one step ahead, pulling out a few bits from his bag. "This should cover my 'rambling fees. So where's my card?'" he asked in the same level of voice. She sighed and put it down ontop of his tablet. "How long will you be staying in Manehatten this time? I could treat you out for a friendly dinner, catch up on things." she asked as Solven cast some magic that forced the book to silently melt away without a trace. "Uh... sure. After your work hours are up. How about that?" he suggested back, evading her question but answering her suggestion, and she nodded, gave Solven a light hug, then left to return to her duties.

Meanwhile, the newcommer had caught his attention. It was quite obvious he didn't fit in here. From the moment he entered what Solven considered his "space of being an awesome technomagic-scientist-invetor" he began to grab multiple books in a random order, but then only made one specific choice. Probably based on interest. Was Solven's analysis. With the disapointment that came from the book he had chose, and his small talk with the librarian, he thought it might be better to just try to strike up a conversation between another intelligent mind, just incase he would never talk to one for awhile then.

"Heya, fellow pony" he said to the preoccupied reader. "What are you reading? Just a curious and bored mind asking." he asked.

Nougat's eyes darted back and forth as he rushed along the text on the pages, occasionally pausing to examine any diagrams or pictures. There was nothing too overly technical in it...but he seemed engrossed anyhow. He almost didn't notice the nearby glowing, but tore his gaze away from the book eventually, eyes widening slightly when he spotted the source. He knew there was something interesting about the other pony...

He lifted the goggles that had been hanging around his neck and placed them over his eyes, examining the magic in...whatever that was. Not that it took his goggles to be able to tell it was magic. It was just interesting to look at. Nougat raised an eyebrow as he began to actually write in the book. He almost commented on it, but the librarian beat him to it. He observed their interaction, more out of curiosity than nosiness. However, it was just them setting up dinner, which quickly snuffed out his interest. He removed his goggles, looking back to his own book for now. He'd just wait until they were done talking. Then he'd speak up. Maybe. He was on the fast path to forgetting already, his snout already re-buried in the pages.

But then, he was addressed, causing him to perk to attention. “Hunh, wha..?” He blinked at the other pony. “Oh. Physicalities of Changelings. It's very...interesting. Because changelings are very interesting. To me. However, more of it than I'd like reads like speculation...” Oh. Right... “And. Hello.” He paused for a moment, at least making an attempt at not being blunt, but failed. “You have some very interesting magic...things. Devices.”, he blurted out, making sure to correct himself at the end with a smarter-sounding word.

"About 90 percent of ponies say 'thing'. Such misguided minds. Device or contraption sounds better, but purely mechanical. So really, there is no general name for such a device." Solven began, he took it pretty hard that his inventions were generalized with one word. "But that is not the question, no? Your phrasing implying a further question of my inventions, such how they function, and how the operate? To somepony like me, it's foalsplay."

"But Changelings? Hmm...? They seem more like bugs to me. A hive system, similar to bees. A queen controlling some, and the drones doing the rest. But that's just my opinion and prejudice." he voiced, "But where was I, yes. Explaining how my inventions works. Something that's safe to say because the actual method in detail is nigh impossible to replicate without exact figures. Artificial crystals with different internal cuttings that can store, or amplify, then discharge the magical energy in an appropriate fashion. With abit of direction, the magic can be applied to multiple devices that should use mechanical methods to operate, making their function better, more efficient, and, in the case of somethings, deadlier."

He paused to take a breath. "That should most likely answer the major questions that could be possibly asked by anypony who is the slightest bit curious. Luckily, in a city by Manehatten, Nopony tends to ask such questions unless they actually tend to talk to me for whatever personal gain." he concluded. "So, what brings you to Manehatten. I hate to say it, but you still simply somehow manage to stand out in the city of many, plus it's a port of call for many ponies." he asked.

He nodded in understanding. "M...hmm. I've seen machinery powered my magic. I have some. But yours seems a bit different. Or maybe a lot different.", he commented, not yet explaining how he'd figured that. He nodded again. "Yes...what, exactly, do you have there? It definitely doesn't looks standard at all. If you don't mind explaining. Even if you do, I'll figure it out eventually. Magic and technology; anything scientifical is my specialty."

Nougat pondered a bit at the mention of changelings. "Hm...yes. That's not inaccurate. But, I'm more interested in the changelings themselves. They have a horn and wings. That must be useful...", he mused, before paying very close attention with the other pony began explaining his inventions. His brow furrowed a bit and he placed a hoof to his chin, mulling over every word in his head. "Oooooh... Artificial? I've never even heard or thought of that. I mostly just use...whatever magical trinkets I can get my hooves on for my work. I have to disenchant them and...all that. Results vary greatly. Your way, though, sounds much simpler. For you, anyways."

Even though his face still wasn't extremely expressive, Nougat had a sort of spark in his eyes; it wasn't often he met anyone like-minded to this extent. This was exciting..! "And, I can here for the express purpose of seeing what this library had to offer. I'm not disappointed so far. I don't really know much else about the city..." He blinked at the last comment. "Do I..? I don't try to stand out... I don't attempt not to, either, though."

"You do not, just simply 'figure out' crystal harmonics. It takes years of research, trial and error, and a lot of bits for the material. Attempts to machine craft them usually end up in an explosion after magical energy is poured into the device. But yes, artificial. I started with pre-made and slowly progressed to being able to self-generate one. I can see why this technology isn't just readily adapted by everyone. But simple? In a few years after I've reversed-engineered a few more concepts and improve upon them, maybe I'll get to 'simple'. But it is much better than standard enchantment magicks." Solven spoke in a long and detailed rant that covered most of the questions easily. But he slightly evaded the subject of his actual creations, just because he hates the nosy.

"Just because they have horns and wings doesn't make Changelings any more better than us ponies. Their anatomy suggests an insect-like approach. Not so good if you want to go everywhere hmm...? But nothing magic can fix hmm...? Unless you're out of energy that is... and even then, wings don't work in windy conditions, especially not those insect wings." he commented. And besides, he had been there during the Canterlot invasion (unfortunately) first hand. Even his weapon on a stun setting was enough to send them crashing to the ground and out for hours.

"But I like that. Taking a passive role in stance. If this were Canterlot, you'd have many posh snobs looking at you now. But in Manehatten, nopony could care less what kinda social power you have, be it a shop keeper or one of them fancy high-rise owners. So that's good. Most ponies I talk to see only fame and fortune as a means of living. Such foolishness, wouldn't you think?" Solven said in response to the last comments. And clearly, it as quite evident he was talking to somepony who would match his ability in the best of science and magic, but that remains to be seen.

"There is many a mystery we must solve, but only the best of us can do many before our time comes." he randomly sputtered out, a random quote from somewhere he couldn't remember.

Nougat blinked quietly at the other pony's rant, which he seemed to have caused. Not on purpose, of course. "Well. I did say 'eventually'.", he replied. He believed he'd figure everything, 'eventually'. "But, whether you believe me or not, I think I understand. Enough to be impressed, anyways. I'm afraid I don't have many tangible results of anything I've done...except these goggles. It would be much easier if I could cast magic.", he said, pouting ever so slightly. Even after all these years, his lack of a horn still bothered him greatly.

"Appearances really don't matter to a changeling, though. They can be anypony they want. The love feeding, though...that must be inconvenient. Still, I'd trade a little convenience for either wings or a horn...", he said, with a somewhat odd amount of thoughtfulness. He listened intently as the other went on about snobs and Canterlot and whatnot, nodding at the end. "Fortune could be useful, if it isn't spent on impractical things. But fame, I wouldn't really care for..." He already got unwanted attention occasionally from ponies complaining at him about lights and noise coming from his home, or telling him that that he'd just end up hurting himself. Or, would that be infamy..?

He tilted his head a bit at the last quote, a bit confused as to why he'd said it. Still, he made a ponderous expression before responding. "Was that from something? Either way... I've still got plenty of life left, but. I'll bet there are all kinds of ways to borrow time to do ever better than that... Actually, I don't need to bet." Nougat eyeballed the other stallion, as if watching for what his reaction would be. Sometimes, when he mentioned this brand of magic and whatnot, most ponies tended to look at him like he was crazy—even the more scholarly ones... This pony didn't seem nearly so soft-minded, though. Hopefully. Either way, it wouldn't stop him from doing whatever it was he'd want.

Hmm... now might also be a good time to diagnose that glitch in the weapon. he though thought to himself. He picked up his weapon from the floor, and pushed a metallic button, which made the weapon expanded into what appeared to be a non-standard rifle. It glowed a soft white, that is, until he went to the main body, and pulled out the crystal from it's housing, forcing the weapon to go dark. He pulled out a few unusual tools, and began to work on fixing the glitch. "I hope you don't mind. The transmagic condenser decided to short out, been giving discharge issues." he autonomously said as he began to peer into his device.

"What do the Goggles do, anyway. I noticed you briefly slip them on. I have a good sense of my surroundings." he asked, curiosity taking him over as he tried to stay focused on the task at hand. "And sure Changeling appearance is not a issue, it's their physique. Their ability simply allows a shifting of form. But not power. You can look like the strongest Pegasus alive, but you will still end up getting swatted away by a tornado. You can pretend to be a great magician, yet your magic would be subpar to such a pony." he addressed the Changeling discussion, while he managed to remove the component that was damaged. "Oh, looks like more parts are shot. Phasic discharger is out, no wonder the size of the projectile wasn't consistent." he mumbled to himself as he continued diagnostics.

"I understand ya." he said, referring to the fame and fortune issue. "Not everypony likes the limelight more than they like the bits that come with it, personally, I like neither unless it grants something of practical use. I wouldn't mind a few extra bits for some more refined materials. Yet again, it seems that ponies keep asking why I would need such things. I just say 'modeling project'. They usually just accept that I won't say much more. Not friendly, but it gets me along my day." he casually spoke as he managed to dislodge the other broken component. "Luckily I have spares." he randomly said off on a tangent, reaching into his bag with his magic and pulling out the two components, then beginning to replace them.

"That quote was from a random book I read here once. Words to live by, a concept to die by. But that's not our time. We follow the discipline of science. 'Betting', is the last thing we need. We are ponies of precision and accuracy, of logic. Yet, at the same time, we seek adventure, exploration, and innovation. Funny how both sides of the brain tend to want the same thing but go about it in different ways." Solven finally finished talking, addressing the the other pony's last sentences, before he went to work on repairing his weapon.

As he began fiddling with his rifle-like...thing Nougat reflexively slipped his goggled back on, watching the magic about it. And then he inquired about his own invention. "They allow me to see magical energy. That's all, though. They probably aren't nearly as complicated as that. They're very useful for me, though.", he explained. "I haven't been able to replicate their creation, though...not that I really need more than one pair at the moment. It'd be good to have a spare, though." He slid his goggles back off, quirking an eyebrow as he continued speaking about changelings. "You sound like you know a lot about them. Did you get a chance to study one up close?", he asked, a look of extreme curiosity in his eyes. "Most ponies---and other species--usually just beat them up if their cover is blown. Or, run away. Which is disappointing." He raised a hoof to shut the book. "Maybe I'll bump into one, though. Or maybe I already have..."

Nougat kept watching intently as the other pony continued work on his weapon, almost forgetting about their conversation at times. "I could always use more bits, too. It's not like anyone pays me to do the things I do... But sometimes my family sends me some. And candy. I have to hunt for most of my own magic trinkets, though. Which is sometimes interesting, itself. You can find things that no pony would ever likely sell. Or...sell to me.", he responded, pouting a bit at the end.

He nodded again at the last bit, especially the parts about science and logic and whatnot. He'd never met another pony who talked like this to him. Not that he'd really went out of his way to look... "Who are you, anyways? I'm Nougat."

"I see, I see... I'm Solven Sprockethooves, to answer your question" he said addressing the Nougat's last question, as a rogue spark flew out of the hole. Darn it, it must've been due in for a full diagnostic about a month ago, nothing I can't fix now. He though to himself as he pulled out another unusual tool, and a few odd-looking parts from his bag. Might as well repair the flux conduits in the area to. He concluded in thought, and began to work. Without magic, his hooves performed the delicate operation as if he were doing surgery on another pony. Though the danger of the combustion catalyst reacting with the Sorrus stabiliser and exploding was real, he was quite calm, as if nothing bad were going to happen.

"If by 'study', you mean do an autopsy or a investigative and lengthy analysis of it's capabilities, then no. If you mean through field observation and examining the disabled, then yes, I guess you could say there was a chance to study the beasts." he said returning to the topic of Changelings, but putting it in his mind to neglect the subject about those Goggles, as there was no point in continuing discussion in it. "Canterlot was full of these, so I guess you could say that I got to study a hive too. Not a pretty sight when they attack. Lots of things begins to explode and crumble, but they tend to be susceptible to bursts of raw magic. Makes them go all funny I guess." he continued in a calm tone as he focused down on the weapon. He paused for a minute in speech to do the most delicate part of the maintenance, where absolutely no magic could be used, or it would de-calibrate the entire system.

And after a few minutes, he began to talk again. "I run a small shop in Canterlot to repair items and goods, I figured I could earn some money by using my skills to repair easy stuff. I also do work as a third-party engineer, my word is mostly valued, up until I decide to go radical. Trust me, it takes all the will in you to not go fanatical for something you believe in when it's something the customer doesn't want." He was finally out of the danger zone, and reassembled the first few parts with relative ease, a hoof holding a tool that sparked with intense magic soldered and welded the parts together.

"On the interesting note, I haven't talked to my family in years, the joys of being an only colt. I sustain my own needs, mainly because they disapprove of what I do. You'd think that your own parents would be a little less alien to your ideas than those from the outside." he went on and on, until he was finished with his weapon's maintained, and re-slotted the crystal that was taken out from before. Once again, it began to softly glow a greyish shade, signalling that it was ready for use. Holding his pad over it, and going a few quick hoof-gestures, a brief, orangey light shone over the maintained part, then disappeared. "Yep, all fixed and ready to work." he said to himself.

"It's nice and...very interesting to meet you, Solven. I don't think I've ever spoke to anyone as like-minded.", he responded, once again becoming distracted by the other's work. He placed a hoof to his chin inquisitively as he seemed to be forgoing his magic and instead working on it with his hooves. He almost asked why, but figured it was so it didn't cause some unwanted reaction. Or something. He certainly was being precise, at any rate, and at least waiting until he was done to speak up again. "You're better than most unicorns with your bare hooves. From my experience, anyways."

He kept listening as he explained his changeling encounter, seeming as engaged as ever. "M...hmm. Well, it would make sense if they couldn't handle much of a forceful attack. They must be extremely light, with their perforations and whatnot..." He seemed quite dispassionate towards the actual battle or outcome, seeming only interesting in the changelings themselves. "Malevolent or not, I think more ponies and other species should try and learn about them. For knowledge's sake, at least.", he said.

Business...wasn't really Nougat's specialty. Logically, he should have been at least a little good at it, having grown up in a shop. But not much of it had rubbed off on him. "...Maybe I should try and do something like that. I'm not sure if any unicorn would trust an earth pony with anything magic, though... I could try and sell things more often, I guess." At the mention of family, he seemed a bit surprised. "Really..? You make some remarkable techno-magic...things. And you seem remarkable, yourself, if you don't mind me saying so. I guess I was just lucky that my family approved of pretty much anything I wanted to do...even if they might not completely understand it."

His eyes slowly began to trail back to the weapon, continuing to observe it closely...and maybe a bit enviously. "So...that looks like some kind of weapon. It...shoots something, I'm guessing?"

"It shoots magic. Misaligning components inside because of rogue magic is the reason why I use my hooves instead. One wrong move, and you have a ticking time bomb that explodes with the fury of a ten mares." He said as he lifted his weapon, weighing it, the motions felt familiar, normal, nothing was out of place, physically, or magically. He found the same button from before, and pushed it, and the rifle folded back into it's compact and smallish form. "If you think about how Unicorns cast magic bolts with varying degrees of power, accuracy, and function, then this rifle pretty much replicates that function quite effectively. I wouldn't say efficient, but it's prototyping."

He briefly glanced over the tablet again, this time he looked at the time, it seemed to still be the afternoon, hours away from dinner for sure. Solven then focused attention back into the conversation. "Such like-mindedness is hard to find in a world where everypony is just content with being a simple farmer, or a simple designer, or even a librarian. Ponies like you and I... we change the world in slow and subtle ways. Ways that the next generation would come to respect" he said, and what he meant was true. If he released his workings, then Equestria would've already been on it's way to development, but the Scientists mocked it. Discarded it, even with available proof.

"And believe me, there's a good reason why I don't live in Canterlot" he said with a sly smile, half-parts true, because of his parents, and the fact that he wasn't really the good business man, and half-parts lie, because honestly, it was where his main lab is. A place of zen and science to him. "It's not easy when you're work details you being at the forefront of something, but hey, somepony has got to do it, and if it's me, I don't mind what-so-ever. Besides, I get paid by third party customers too." he added on.

"Say, it's a few hours before I gotta do this and that. Want a tour of the local area? Manehatten is quite the different place from where you're from I'm guessing. Well, in my opinion, much better than Canterlot, despite having a more 'average' standard to it." Solven offered as such to find an excuse to get out of the library. Sometimes, such a place was too stuffy for him, especially on days like this, where it was too hot to be staying still for hours.

"Oooooh... Neat.", he said, even upon hearing that there had been a possibility of explosion. He was used to it, and had a few marks and such from the past as evidence. He observed further, watching with fascination as it seemed to fold in on itself, and began to ponder something about what Solven said afterwards. "So...I don't suppose you've reached a point where you could, say...have a device that could emulate all the functions of a unicorn's horn, hm..?" He knew it was a longshot, but at this point in his life, Nougat was a bit desperate. He'd do nearly anything for some unicorn power...

He nodded. "Candy tastes good, and making it wasn't unpleasant, but...I couldn't have just kept doing it forever." He paused for a moment, taking out a piece of gum from his pack and beginning to chew it. "The world is too curious to just leave alone. I'd have never been content not knowing the hows and whys of things. In spite of my lack of magic...", he said before listening to Solven again. "The things I do aren't normally seen or noticed by anyone but me. I don't mind, though. At the moment, most of my work is meant for me, anyhow..."

Nougat had not been expecting that kind of offer. It definitely wasn't something he was used to. He hesitated, thinking it over in his head, glancing towards the other books he'd picked out. "I guess I could just come back afterwards... Alright, then." If it had been any other pony, he probably would have declined, but in Solven's case, he'd make an exception.

"Come on, you can leave the books there. Nopony comes to this area, can't understand the complexity of this area. Plus, I'm in good standing with the Librarian. Just not that close. Friends. I'm sure I can get her to leave the books be." He added, just in case the wrong implications were sent through previous actions. Solven got up, and made sure that all his stuff was with him. Unlike the books in on the desk, his items were more valuable, irreplaceable, unique. To let them out of his sight for purposes other than sleeping or showering were unthinkable! The paranoia that seeped through him always made sure his stuff was on him. And while Manehatten is a nice place with good ponies, it's not as safe as Canterlot.

He further explained about his research on his way out of the section, as if he was conducting a lecture. "Not all functions of a horn can be emulated. And even then, the power stored in the crystals is only pure. Discharge without some form of 'focus' or 'controller' would simply be similar to a small explosion of light. Not good for us, not good for anything. So unless somepony, or me, can come up with a device that packs multiple functions into it, and runs off a single charge for a long time, that's going to be a dream for some time." he continued to explain on and on, sounding more like a book than a pony.

And by the time both got to the entrance, the Librarian had a puzzled look on her face as Solven approached her, alone. "I'm going to be out for a few, showing this newpony around the local area. I won't be long and on time, I promise. But can you do me a favour of holding the books on the table in my little corner? Said friend wants them." Then she began to speak with a teasing smile "I don't know... perhaps I should inspire you to come back quicker..." Solven saw right through her. "Come on... don't do this to me, you know I never break my promises." She then nodded "I was just kidding! See you in a few." Solven tipped his head and walked back to Nougat.

"Right then, lets go outside." he said.

Apparently, he wouldn't need to fret about his books, though. "Oh. Thank you.", he said, nodding, mostly ignoring the bit about whatever kind of relationship of lack thereof. That certainly wasn't his area of expertise... As Solven then when about his brief lecture, Nougat gnawed away at him gum, blowing a bubble and popping it before responding. "I thought so... Hm. I'll find my own way eventually. Or someone else's." Even though the idea might've seemed fairly fantastical, Nougat seemed completely confident that there was some way for him to acquire magic. Or force it upon himself. Anything, really.

As he followed after Solven, he continued blowing bubbles, while glancing around the library one more time, staying back a bit while he spoke to his friend. It was moments like this that made him uncomfortably aware of how far he'd fallen when it came to socializing. Solven did similar sorts of research and science, but he still managed it somehow. Well. At least he was about to do something sociable. Upon hearing that his booked would be kept, he merely tipped his snout at the mare, before looking back to Solven. "Yes. Lead the way, please."

The light. Though the Library was lit enough for reading books, it still stung slightly for a few seconds. "It helps to know ponies in town. I do a lot of travelling around Equestria. Mainly to seek inspiration for knowledge, and recover that which is lost." Solven said as if he read Nougat's mind. Sure it seemed unlikely that somepony of Solven's stature would get any form of social recognition, must less with his conservative attitude, yet, he sometimes wondered if his childhood times helped out, or even if what expressed was true. "Right, I assume you just followed directions off something and were in a hurry to get here for whatever reason." he continued to speak in a instructive tone. "To our left is the market district, one of many in this city. This area tends to have the good stuff though, fun trinkets and magical toys to play around with. Sometimes I try to sell off things for extra bits." He pointed his hoof in a left like direction. "To our right is more of the general shopping quarter, more like restaurants, cafes, and so on." He point his hoof to the right this time.

"I'm sure you're not the kind who would forsake curiosity for hunger, so lets go left first." he said, walking in that direction.

The market quarter was not so packed at this time of day. Mainly because everypony was working, and that this area didn't really sustain much need for the average pony. Vendors sold various magical and mechanical trinkets and artefacts, some quite new, and obviously fake, others, if the customer had an eye for, would be quite valuable for use. It was a place Solven frequented for cheap and quality material, a place he would recommend to anypony who was in his league. "See anything you like? It's quite a big place. I get most of my things from here. Who knows, maybe you'll find something useful enough to further your research here. Plus, prices are cheap, but if you do want something, check with me first. I have an eye for the fake. Comes from the childhood family experience." he gestured towards the stalls of various ponies.

Nougat shielded his eyes for a few moments as they exited the building, but didn't let it distract him from the very interesting things Solven was saying. He nodded quickly. "Yes, I do that exact thing. Which is why I'm here right now. Old ruins and whatnot can have interesting things in them, too... Occasionally." And, occasionally, it was worth the danger; which he was not equipped for at all. It was a small miracle he hadn't gotten himself killed or maimed. Or cursed, at least.

As he continued following, he glanced in order to each direction Solven mentioned, making sure to take a mental note. He'd came all the way here, so he might as well stay around a bit... If his attention span could handle it. Maybe having a pony to help stop his mind from its constant wandering would help. Upon arriving at the vendors, he began peering at several of them, though he was still listening. "Mhmm. With my goggles, I can at least tell if something is actually magic. I can't always tell what function something has, though..."

He listened as the science pony talked. Well, go figure. Magic detection's a pain. Solven though to himself. He assumed that the lack of words either came from his curiosity at the finds, or a lack of focused attention on the subject of the place. Regardless, it made sense to atleast give the pony a walk around the place. Well, until Solven cam onto one of his more trusted merchants. "Shine! You're back in business already?" he asked as he approached the stall. "Yep. Ain't no broken leg going to stop me from making a profit? What can I get yea?" he asked as Solven scanned the stall with a watchful eye. Unfortunately, his search was fruitless.

"You happen to have a 3-cut crystal? A little some more like what the Diamond Dogs would find outta their mines?" he asked. Shine checked his other boxes behind and beneath the stall, and then there was a pause in rummaging, then his body popped back up. "Yea, you're lucky, a Diamond Dog happened to wander into town a few weeks ago with something to sell." Shine said, as he pulled out the crystal. "Perfect, I'll take it without questions." Solven said as he dropped his bits onto the stall's table. "Thanks for yer business!" Shine chimed as Solven turned back to Nougat.

"Sorry about that, he usually has what I'm looking for. It's only friends like him that keep me from going bitless. He said, looking again at the crystal. As it's name suggests, it was literally and naturally cut on three sides, while the rest was uncut and rough. "A bit of polishing and this thing makes a great frontal magic focusing device." He said as he filled it with abit of magic, and another spark to force the magic inside to escape, giving off a volatile but harmless release of magic.

"Now, the day's dying down pretty quick. You hungry? or do you want to keep looking around the place." Solven asked. Clearly his tone sounded slightly pushy and rushed, but then again, he tends to make promises in the oddest of fashions.

It seemed like Solven had several friends here... Or acquaintances at least. Nougat watched his conversation for a moment, but decided to wander around a bit and take a look while they talked. Several vendors called out to him in attempt to hawk their wares and trinkets. Nougat focused mostly on the items though---magical ones--, eying them through his goggles. One thing in particular caught his attention: some kind of alchemical-looking device with glass bits and tubes and whatnot. "I'd like that.", Nougat said, pointing with his hoof.

The vendor sulked inwardly. Why couldn't this pony have picked one of his less legitimate items? He wasn't even a unicorn! "Oh, good eye! That's an arcane alembic, though. You really shouldn't go throwing stuff into it unless you're a uni-", the unicorn vendor stopped at the sound of a not entirely small amount of bits clattering on the counter, eying them greedily. "...Ahem. As I was saying. It's yours!", they chimed, floating it over to Nougat, who simply nodded and stuffed it into his bag. That was more bits than he probably should have spent, but...he couldn't resist.

After he was done, he wandered back over to Solven, just in time it seemed, and he immediately gawked at the crystal, listening to the explanation behind it. "...Mhmm...I think I understand. I work with crystals occasionally. And, yes. Food would be good. I don't have much else to spend..."

((Sorry it took awhile :( Busy busy getting ready for University))

"Good eye. Or rather, at least the device has a good eye for magic" Solven commented upon seeing Nougat make a swift appraisal of an item that a Unicorn would usually be more attuned to detecting. "But like I said, most of the merchants here play the tough pony, but they are really scoundrels and cowards out for bits. Doesn't take much to sway their minds, but alot from them to sway ours." he continued. In a sense, his statement was true, but that was generalizing, and quickly as the thoughts left his mind, he mentally slapped his conscience for such a crime. He was a being of precision, not generalization.

"Very well, lets us go. I will pay for you, my treat. Really. It has been too long since a pony has been able to keep me entertained in a talk. I should at least pay to keep you on your hooves when you next head out." He continued to say as they walked around to the other half of the shopping quarters. Lined up on the sides of the street as they approached, were scores of shops, cafes, and restaurants. Many ponies could be seen socializing, talking, going around with business, and as well as those who simply was passed the shops as their destination lay down the street, which seemed to go on forever. Of course, that would be false and inaccurate. Again, Solven's subconscious mind kicked in, and slapped his thoughts.

Solven pointed to one cafe in particular, which seemed to see a moderate amount of business. "That place is one of the best in my opinion, lets go." he said, as he began to walk towards it, a sign towards Nougat that he should also follow along. And after Solven had a few words with the waiter on standby, they were led to seating quite quickly. "Yeah. Apparently the place was reserved full. Took a few words to get them to give this seat up." he said as he sat down.

((I was just feeling some burnout. > > ))

He nodded to Solven. "I understand how important bits can be. Via personal experience... Especially during winter.", he said, rambling a bit. There wasn't much to forage when things got cold, and he'd cut survival close several times. Or, just going back with his parents until spring... Which is why he was glad Solven offered to buy. "Oh. Thank you. I was expecting to just get by on bread again." Nougat couldn't help but finally display an emotion other than 'nothing', smiling slightly when Solven mentioned that he enjoyed talking with him. It'd been apparent before, but it was just sinking into his absent-minded head. A pony this brilliant relating to him gave him quit a confidence boost. It was nice not operating alone in a social vacuum once in a while.

As he followed after Solven once again, he glanced around curiously at the many different restaurants and whatnot, wondering which one they'd end up going to. Not that Nougat would mind, though a place that sold something sugary would be nice... Luckily, the place he had in mind was a cafe. He observed curiously as Solven had a chat with a waiter, one of his ears drooping slightly at the possibility of complications... However, they were given a seat. "Hmmm...maybe I should work on improving my charisma...", he said in a very thoughtful tone, already pondering if there was some harebrained magic solution rather than just learning to talk like every other pony.

• 6 months later...

"Charisma only helps when you're in a spot of trouble or you need a hand. You can make friends with ponies easily, but just don't go spending all that friendship in one go, and doing favours for others helps." Solven added another thought to his friend. His eyes briefly moved around the room. It was prime-time for shops in the day, which would explain why he had to pull favours. Being a regular with tales from beyond the city and generous tips entitled him to some benefits. "I remember a time when I got by travelling with bread, some magic, and science; through all four seasons, be it the snowy winter or blazing hot summer, even though I have distaste for the latter. I still do, but that's no substitute for a confirmed methodology that has a high success rate." he summed up. "Put some logic into that."

He turned his head slightly outside, and saw a group of ponies pass by, a casual stroll on a casual day in Manehatten. "Take that group of ponies for example." prompting Nougat to look in his general direction. "They have many talents, some which are more closed than others, like ours." Solven continued, beginning to slip into another long sprawl of talking. "70 percent of the time, they're just friends because it suits them, or because they have similar interests. 15 percent of the time, they hold each others backs, and the final 15 comes from doing favours." Solven paused before continuing. "In short, even though those numbers were subjective, there is still a point to them; namely that using magical potions or technology to sway influence doesn't end well."

As he talked, another waiter came up, and asked for the duos order. "I'll have a large cup of your strongest blend. No sugar or milk, please." The usual. Solven's favourite and only drink which actually had an effect on him.

Nougat listened intently as the other pony spoke, placing a hoof to his chin and quirking an inquisitive brow. Though...he pouted internally and it very nearly showed on his face when Solven mentioned magic. "Hmm...bread and science, I've done. Magic...well...I'm working on it.", he said, sighing wistfully. "It's difficult when I can't actually cast any myself. I have to rely on hardware and trinkets... For now, anyways." Nougat's lack of magic seemed like a bit of a sensitive subject--though, he seemed more frustrated and stubborn about the whole thing than upset or offended.

Once again, he'd already retreated inside his head, already pondering more schemes involving magic after its brief mention, and it took him a moment to respond to the next bit of conversation. To a pony like Nougat, Solven's odd explanation of friendship using all manner of numbers, percentages and quantifications actually made sense to him. "Sometimes I feel like it'd be nice to have another set of eyes in the lab... But, theory or not, I've never been very good at making friends. Not that I try that often... I'm used to being alone, anyhow."

Nougat's ears twitched as the waiter asked him for his order. "I would also like a strong coffee. With cream. Also a bowl of sugar lumps." He paused a moment, thinking. "And...whatever sweet is most popular." Even though Nougat wasn't much part of his family's business these days, he still took it upon himself to do research into treats whenever he was out of town and report his findings back to them. After finishing his order, he glanced back to Solven in a concerned manner. "...Er...preemptive apology in case this end up being expensive."

• 4 weeks later...

The waiter left to place the two's order, while Solven continued their conversation.

"Ah well, eventually, we'll be able to use magic in one form or another. Kinda is one of my end goals. It just doesn't seem fair that only Unicorns and Alicorns can use magic, a wondrous tool to help ponies get by." It was not the best thing to say with Nougat's facial expression like that, but it was a bit of dreaming with some reality.One day, too bad that day seems so far away. Walking around with all this magical stuff on me does get awkward at times. He decided it was better to stop pursuing that topic for the time being, lest he pull a few sensitive strings in his friend.

At least Solven's explanation of friendship reached the science pony, he could tell by the silence that followed after what he had just said. "Not all friendship is without benefits. Another pair of eyes to stop things from exploding, another pair of hooves to hold things together. And a mouth to get you into places. The fact remains that although you can live life alone without any issues, I know a few ponies who have, but it's just much, much easier, by Celestia's mane, to live by knowing a few ponies. Doesn't have to be a large group. Just the odd pony here and there." This was of course, Solven's reasoning. And usually, his reasoning was better than most others.

"Speaking of which, here comes the coffee." he said, as the same waiter approached their table and placed each ponies respective orders down onto the table. "Thanks."

And speaking of costs, he took a quick peak into his bag of bits. More than enough. He concluded. "Don't mind the cost, I can foot the bill."

Archived