A meeting of minds (Tiktaalik, Closed, PM for possible invite)

Harv0kz

Nougat's mood seemed to completely rebound when Solven seemed to have a goal in common with him. He'd leaned to to tiptoe around the subject; some ponies--especially other earth ones--would find the fact that Nougat was so unsatisfied with his own species...distasteful. And the fact that he was willing to dabble in whatever seemed to rub ponies of all kinda the wrong way occasionally. He had a feeling Solven and him were like-minded though. "So you're working on that too? Well, if you want a pony to help test anything on, I'd be willing. It can't be any more hazardous than some of the ideas I have on my...list." Some of the things he was willing to try were located firmly in the realm of mad science and/or magic--he felt reluctant to even share them with someone like Solven.

Which might also explain why he didn't have any close friends. Nougat was possibly a little overly paranoid about being tattled on. Or, just nagged at... And though he might have seemed like it a bit, he wasn't callous either; he wouldn't want someone constantly worrying over him. "I have reasons I've stayed on my own, too, but. I guess it is slightly...lonely sometimes.", he admitted, frowning faintly. It didn't take him long to mumble his absentminded pondering right after. "I wonder how a pony goes about getting a dragon assistant..."

And then their order arrived--he'd nearly forgotten about it already. "Oh, good. Thank you.", he replied in relief when Solven payed for it. Picking up the sugar lump bowl, Nougat poured what was already 'too much' into his coffee. Before he proceeded to dump the entire bowl into it, turning it into what could only be described as an excessive amount. It was probably as much sugar as it was actual coffee... From the way he casually stirred it, it seemed like this was the normal for him, though. He brought the mug to his mouth, taking a small sip of the syrupy nightmare he'd just created. Nougat seemed pleased enough; though, he panted a moment, having scorched his mouth slightly in his impatience...

Solven shrugged inside when he saw Nougat defile a perfectly good cup of black coffee with excess sugar. To each their own. He thought as he took a sip from his own cup. The refreshing, if not extremely bitter and caffeine laced cup immediately shook him up, as a sudden rush of awakening senses and a more responsive body and mind were refuelled. "You al'right? Take it slow with the coffee, it's not as if heat dissipates that quickly." he asked, noticing his friend was panting from having drunk too much at once. And ponies say I should take less cups of coffee. As if, this stuff has kept me going for years.

"Dragon assistants don't come easy" Answering that question in a nutshell, with some elaboration to come. "You see, a lot of magical power is needed to hatch one manually without a adult dragon supervising it. Even then, obtaining one directly is dangerous. Plus, maintenance is difficult. Can't have them turning older through greed, can we?" Solven continued, basing it off knowledge he had read from books, and stories of certain applicants being given a special test by Princess Celestia herself, back when he was deeply rooted in Canterlot. "Now, a mechanical automaton, I wouldn't mind. Or a complex machine. That's the thing I like. Easy. Too bad it still isn't a substitute for living ponies." conveying a difference in taste was Solven's intention, linking back to the previous sentences he put out about bringing magic to everypony.

"Besides, not everypony who helps is suited for hazardous projects. Which is why I do all of mine alone. A wrong crystal here, a mis-aligned conduit there, and the whole build overloads, explodes, and leaves even the hardiest of ponies wondering if the second invasion of Equestria just began. Though I don't think I've blasted a hole in the wall, floor or roof yet. Another clean year goes by without any accidents." Exclaiming his achievement with pride, it wasn't everyday he boasted such an 'achievement' to anypony, but Nougat wasn't anypony, he would understand the dangers of pushing the frontier. "But sure, if you're game for a few things that might be less than normal and revolutionary, come right ahead. I just won't promise immediate progress being made to give everyone the direct use of magic in a day." was the last thing he said before pausing to take another sip from his cup of hot coffee, soothing his throat slightly from that extended dialogue he had just pulled out. Still rambling on as ever, am I?

Nougat blinked away the water in his eyes. "...Right. Just...a little hotter than I'm used to." He peered around the table, perking up when he spotted the creamer pitcher that'd also been included. He'd meant to put some in anyhow... The small earth pony certainly wasn't the type to exercise any sort of patience if he could avoid it, so he just dumped cream into his coffee to cool it, making even more of a sweet treat. He promptly gulped nearly half of it down quickly, glancing back up at Solven as he spoke further.

"M...hmm. I remember reading about that now. I might be able to hatch one...", he said, setting the mug down and eying the dessert he'd ordered. And, like he'd wanted, it was also encrusted with much too much sugar... "Of course, it doesn't matter unless I somehow get an egg. I'm sure I'll get around to it someday. It's too interesting to pass up..." As he spoke, he preoccupied himself with grabbing the sugar bowl and dumping the leftover sugary dust on the pastry. One would think a sweet tooth this ravenous would already been the death of him...or, at least would have claimed most of his teeth of made him horribly out of shape. He must have had a fast metabolism.

He munched on the pastry while he listened, his eyes widening a bit at Solven's response to his offer. Though he may have seemed a bit...dull, so far, Nougat suddenly livened up considerably. Or maybe it was just the sugar and caffeine coursing through his system now. "Wunderbar..!", he exclaimed in a tone only slightly louder than usual, his normally watered-down native accent showing itself for a moment. "But I understand. I'm used to...slow progress. And no progress... Us working together, though--things can only move faster, then."

Archived