Accellerant

Disclaimer:

I am in no way a profession artist nor have I been drawing ever since I was born. I'm merely a student and much of what I'll be saying is me simply lending my own collective experience from school, books and from drawing. It's very possible that what I'm talking about could be wrong or lacking information so don't be afraid to point something out that doesn't seem to make sense or needs further information. No matter what is posted here or said, use your critical thinking skills and take what advice is useful to you. There's absolutely no wrong way to draw so experiment and find what speaks to you!

This thread was inspired by Jenna who created a thread much like this on another forum whom disappeared after their laptop got fried.

This thread is in dedication to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello dear reader and welcome to the dedicated thread to learning how to draw ponies!

Many times I've read comments and posts where individuals wished that they could learn how to draw, view artists as 'gods' or that drawing is impossible.

This thread is here to change that.

My goal, along with the help and input of fellow users, is that we all help one another learn how to draw our beloved pastel equines from FiM. How will we achieve this? It's quite simple, we'll sketch an image that will be posted on a weekly basis. From there we can give advice to one another via feedback, critique or just by making simple suggestions. As time goes on the images will become more and more complex and while the main focus will be on drawing Equines we will draw other denizens of Equestria. This is a place for all levels of skill to learn and practice from one another in a welcoming environment. You do not have to draw every image so don't be afraid to jump right in if you're a newcomer to this thread!

Here's an example of what we'll be doing:

untitled_by_accellerant-d6lmh2n.png

Told you it'd be simple!

;)

If you really want to get the most out of this thread than I'd highly suggest experimenting with your drawings. Don't be afraid to try out new poses, mediums or exp

ressions. A large part of learning how to draw is simply experimentation, try out whatever your heart desires! If you're having trouble learning how to approach your drawing you can check out EqD's Tutorial Codex as well as Reddit's MLP drawing School (Note: Contains NSFW content, tread lightly!) Don't be afraid to voice your questions, comments or suggestions, I'm more than willing to listen! :)

Pick up those pencils,

and lets get to learning!

Whom We're Currently Drawing:

150px-CastleCreator_Fluttershy5.png

The next image will be posted September 30th.

Previous Images

F.A.Q.

Note: I'll update this as needed, promise!

:razz:

Update Log:

(9/15/13) Added a new section - "I've got the basic materials but I don't know where to start!" including a video on "Visual Measuring."

Do I have to Draw Digitally/traditionally?

Nope, draw in whichever medium you wish!

Are vectors accepted?

Unfortunately this is one of the few things which can't be accepted. The point of the thread is to learn how to draw, not vector. Sorry mate :oops:

When can I submit my drawing?

Whenever you're ready. The dates are there so you can know when the next image comes, it's in no way a deadline of sorts.

I've never drawn before, do I need specific tools?

Any pencil and scrap of paper will work perfectly for you! Non the less I'd suggest watching the follow videos to learn a bit more about pencils or erasers so you can know the differences. The pencil video also has an important suggestion on how one should hold their pencil while drawing!

I have the basic materials but I don't know where to start!

If you've never drawn before you may feel lost or overwhelmed with how one should approach a drawing. I felt this way myself when I first took on my first still life, over time we shall learn to overcome this feeling. The reality is that you need to learn the basic way to approach any image you're drawing. Visual Measuring is a vital skill to learn, it'll take quite a bit of time to get used to but your proportions will be much better once you get used to using this. I'd also highly suggest visiting EqD's Tutorial Codex along with Reddit's MLP drawing School (Note: Contains NSFW content!) No matter what though use your critical thinking skills and take what's useful to you. There's absolutely no 100% correct way to draw something, experiment and find what truly speaks to you!

I missed several sketches or my submission is late, do I need to draw them before starting the newer image?

Just jump right in! It's not like we're in a class where you need to meet deadlines or anything like that, draw at whatever rate suits you!

Do I need to draw in the exact same style as the show?

Style is personal choice, what's important is getting the pose and proportions correct.

I want to learn but I just can't draw, why should I even bother?

But you can draw, we all have the skill to! It's just like learning how to cook, study, riding a bike, etc. It's difficult at first but over time IT WILL become easier as you continue to practice. Don't be so harsh on yourself and compare your beginnings to what the experienced currently produce. Remember: The athlete didn't have the capacity to jog 10 miles non stop right off the bat, the artist did not already know how to apply value to their works, nor did the chef become instantly imbued with the knowledge and experience to cook great feasts at a five star restaurant. It took lots of time and practice to get where they're currently at.

Edited by Accellerant

This is great thing you started! Two or tree weeks ago I was browsing different brony galleries and I had idea - It's crazy that everyone have such great talent and I don't! - then I started practising pencil drawings. And I mus say I made great improvement (but it doesn't mean that my pictures are worth seeing). Unfortunately now a days because of lot of work I don't have much time for practising... So This subject may be good inspiration for me :)

Here are two pictures I've made:

http://th09.devianta...ltb-d6mey10.png

http://fc02.devianta...ltb-d6mevxn.png

(I hope it's not against rules to post external links)

Firs one is best work of mine so far (except I've forgot abut horn :razz: ), and the second... well I know I must work hard on good proportions ;)

Waiting for constructive criticism :oops:

• Like 2

Why hello there Brodzio, before we get started let me first thank you for participating in this thread! It's a difficult thing to willingly share your art in an online environment due to how harsh other users can be. Not only that but you've mustered up the strength to overcome the one fear that many are often over encumbered with when drawing, applying pencil to paper. It may be silly when one hears that but I remember staring at a blank sheet of paper and just avoiding drawing ponies for many moons! Thanks again my friend, lets move onto the critique shall we? :)

First thing I want to mention about critiques is that you should try your best not to take it at face value and the following is probably the most important thing I can advise throughout this post along with future posts. DO NOT take any advice as 100% fact, even the advice I'm about to give you. Your critical thinking skills are the greatest tool you have as an artist. Use them, along with your resources, to help develop your skill to the level you want them to be. Learning any other major skill isn't something that happens overnight, don't get discouraged. happytsplz.png?2

First thing I want to point out is that I love how you're experimenting with not only your line work but varying values between the images. While the portrait shot is a darker hue your second image is the reverse! The way you've shaded in Twilight's inner ear in the second image was done softly. This is a good thing to get used to if you want to add not only more values to your drawings but also a nice undersketch. You've also nailed the way Twilight's pupil/iris should be drawn. I had one hell of a time drawing that when I was just starting out so I have to say I'm quite surprised. You also remembered to give Twilight her eye lashes! It seems silly but I ALWAYS forget to add eye lashes to my ponies. twilightblushplz.png?1

You're at a good start my friend, now lets see what we can improve on! This is the part where most users who seek advice/critique begin to cringe and pray that they won't be torn asunder. I promise you that what I'm going to say is not meant to be personal or mean spirited in any way shape or form. A critique is useless if it doesn't help point out flaws or areas which need improvement after all! Lets get underway shall we? :fhappy:

You already know about one glaring issue you wish to resolve, your proportions. Proportions have always been a difficult thing to tackle for artists, even those whom have been drawing for quite some time. Why is that? My hypothesis is because many do not know or have lacked being properly taught how to visually measure (Watch this Video!) Visual measuring is, in a nutshell, when you make visual comparisons between parts of the figure/object so you can accurately draw everything in correct proportion. My second theory is that one isn't aware of or takes the time to simplify their subject before beginning to draw. By simplifying your subject initially it'll make it MUCH easier to visually compare your proportions before putting in the fine details/linework. Many times I've been too cocky to do this simple step and find myself burning more time making adjustments and fixes. What this surmises is that more often than not, I never thought about making an undersketch before going to the fun bits early on. Be sure to slow down and critically think out your image!

Here's an example of what I mean. Keep in mind that this my own approach on drawing little equines. There's many other methods and ideas one can use instead of what I'm about to suggest so keep in mind this isn't the 100% guaranteed method that'll work.

untitled_by_accellerant-d6mijqq.png

I used a combination of primitive shapes with several lines for legs and an incredibly rough outline of Twilight. What's great about an undersketch is that due to it being so rough and light I can make adjustments to my proportions quickly and painlessly without having to worry about ruining something which I spent an incredible amount of time on. It's always better to plan thoroughly first before jumping straight in, a simple thing as this undersketch can save you from frustration and wasted time. Once you have an undersketch begin to compare parts of the body to one another, like how high/wide Twilight's eyes are in comparison to her head? How big are her ears to her eyes? How long/thick her legs should be in comparison to her head? Where do Twilight's muzzle and eyes line up with one another? etc. You'll begin to take note of little things like that, for example, Twilight's body is about 2 3/4 - 3 heads tall (using her head as a reference of course :razz:), that her foreground leg is aligned with the corner of her mane, the ear is easily close to the size of her eyes, etc. It's really a process of asking yourself a bunch of questions and using your results to correctly make adjustments.

It'll take practice to do visual comparisons and drawing an undersketch but once you get used to doing these things you'll find yourself improving before ya know it! You may initially feel as though you need to get your 'undersketch' perfect before moving on to the line work and may spend minutes, possibly hours just trying to get that sucker correct. If you do feel this you need to try your best to break yourself out of feeling that and just letting go. Forget about perfecting the undersketch, it's meant to be rough and quick so don't stress over it. Let loose and just go for it! :fhappy:

Believe me when I say this, I know the pain you're going through right now (many do! Dx) but you're off to a great start! The beginning is always the most difficult but once you take off it's hard to come back down! If you have any questions or need further assistance please by all means ask Brodzio! ;)

• Like 1

"A critique is useless if it doesn't help point out flaws or areas which need improvement after all!"

Exactly! That's why I was so happy to see your topic. Internet nowadays is mostly about hating or fake admiring (I mean something like: "Your works are so great, please like my site."). Its always nice to hear good advice

Thank you kindly, for your guidance. I think these will help me improve my work. :D

Uff.. here is my new work.This time I've made some quality undersketch. Also video about measuring with pencil turned out helpful. (Also more dynamic pose of Applejack on this picture seems easier for me I guess).

Plus I have technical question - how do you, Accellerant make virtual copies of your works? Scanner, digital camera?

• Like 1

Uff.. here is my new work.This time I've made some quality undersketch. Also video about measuring with pencil turned out helpful. (Also more dynamic pose of Applejack on this picture seems easier for me I guess).

Plus I have technical question - how do you, Accellerant make virtual copies of your works? Scanner, digital camera?

Sorry for the late response/update, life's being life ya know? :razz:

I use a digital camera but a scanner would be the best choice if I had one. For what we're doing I say use whatever you have on hand :)

A little tidbit on cameras and scanners.

At the end of the day I'd personally go straight for a scanner. The reason why is because images produced by a digital camera can be influenced by the environment in which the picture is taken. Subtle hints such as values and even detail work can be lost due to the camera not picking it up or the image may appear discolored or darker/lighter than what it actually is. It's also to be noted that most camera phones and digital cameras don't have great lenses which attributes to poor images. While a scanner is indeed the best way to bring your image to the digital medium it's best to hold off on purchasing a scanner until you KNOW it's something you want to do. I myself would have a scanner but I haven't had a real need or urge to use one because I use my tablet for digital works. There was a digital camera I used to snap images of my traditional works in the past but I still can't find the bloody thing! It's quite agitating because I want to share some of the previous sketches! :roll:

Anyway, here's an example I found via google to give you a good idea as to why a scanner is best for traditional works.

scanner_vs__camera_by_luka_co3-d5inlj9.jpg

A world of difference if I do say so myself!

If you wish to read more on what's best I'd suggest visiting this article. Do note that it's a bit old but this is where I went when I first questioned "Camera VS Scanner."

Your proportions are definitely better than your first image, that I can tell you. While there are sections that are off such as AJ's rump, ears and right foreleg, it's quite a leap compared to your first drawing. You even took an extra step and not only anchored AJ down but even provided a background! What you've done with the right side of the apple is a good start on trying to emphasize texture and shape. I adore the addition of the speckles on the fruit as well, some parts of it actually look like an apple! The line which rides from AJ's belly to her rump gives great contrast between herself and the fruit, this helps AJ pop out more and appear in front of the apple instead of 'in' it. I don't see any signs of your rough, that's good! It takes practice getting used to drawing lightly for the undersketch/rough but by the looks of it you're not having any trouble with that. Y U MAKE ME JELLY?! :scream:

There's something that has been bugging me though with Applejack, it's difficult seeing parts of her and seems visually confusing. The poor mare, it's as though AJ is starting to fuse in certain areas or parts of her are being absorbed by the apple! :razz: What I'd suggest is emphasizing AJ's defining characteristics and of herself from the apple so that she 'pops out' to us, but how do we do this? It's simple, we use the power of contrast to help us! Contrast is, in scrunched form, the arrangement of opposing elements. It helps us recognize defining characteristics in whatever we're viewing at the time. A good example is her belly, the contour line has a darker value compared to the apple and her stomach. It's due to this contrast that it makes it easier to see her belly and takes away from the visual confusion.

Contour lines are a great way to help point out defining characteristics in a subject or drawing due to the nature of how big the contrast it brings by being a much darker value. But is there something we can do instead of adding contour lines to help add contrast? There is actually! Realistically, there's many ways to bring contrast to an image, this is simply one of them. The best thing to do is to add a larger contrast between AJ, her defining parts and the apple itself. If you look towards AJ's rear and parts of her tail you can see that the contrast between these two areas in comparison to her hair with the apple is very noticeable. So, building on this, you can simply make the apple's overall value darker, make AJ a lighter value or vice versa to help define the two objects from one another.

Lets use the following as an example.

the_flutters_by_accellerant-d6nn1vt.png

Both images are exactly the same with the exception being that the right one has contrast for hair along with the legs 'beyond' Fluttershy. Of the two, which one does your eyes gravitate more towards? I'm willing to bet that your eyes like the right Fluttershy more so than the left one. The reason why is because the clear definition via contrast help our eyes quickly identify key parts of the figure and make the image overall more visually appealing. If we look at the left figure it puts a bit of strain more on our eyes but there's also one thing I want to point out. Lets pretend that we've NEVER seen Fluttershy before and we were provided the left image. We can tell everything apart until we get to her tail. If we take a look at the base of the tail we can't really tell how big it is. Is it thin or is it so thick that a portion of it is drooping between her legs? We wouldn't know until we were provided either a full colored image or the right image above.

You're doing good my friend, lets keep up the pace and keep practicing! Don't be afraid to ask questions or comment on how I've been 'critiquing' your images.

P.S. Some things may not make sense or were repeated several times over than need be due to me lacking sleep. If this is indeed the case I'll provide further an update and further explanation via a supplemental post.

Thank you for kind words. It seems that I'll have to learn to use scanner (but still, I'm not fully convinced about it's proper working - it's like really old)

About drawing: I'm pleased by your complements, so I need to explain how I got rid of undersketch (I think it may help someone). First I made sketch on one sheet of paper and when it looked good enough I bordered outlines with soft pencil and put it under fresh sheet of paper. When I was drawing actual picture I could see the lines softly shining through paper - so there was no undersketch or - it was literally under picture ;)

And dots on apple. Firs ones happened accidentally (as most of great discoveries), but it looked natural so I added more :razz:

Abut contrast and fading parts of picture: I've noticed it, but I had no idea how to get it right - I fought that making darker AJ would make it unnatural, and I was afraid that harder contour would make mane look artificial :-| So figured out that I made some mistakes at beginning. But next time I'm going to remember your advices :) Plus It's funny, how some things appear obvious when someone speaks them aloud, but before - it was complete mystery :oops: