Your Own Species of Equestria

TheWonderousPegasi

here, you can create and discuss about your own animal species of Equestria. They can be animals that haven't appeared in the series yet (like tapirs or anteaters), or can be sub-species of other animals (like a water buffalo or a yak for a sub-species of cattle).

Here's what I have so far.

Dream Land Fox: slightly smaller than the average fox, dream land foxes resemble red foxes, except they are a cream blue color with black undercoats instead of white. They are the rarest sub-species of fox, yet they can make excellent pets...if trained right.

Oh, I love thinking about these! In my WoE application, his history talks about my oc and his friends working together to outwit a large, hungry phoenix, but in the original story(an essay I wrote for college, XD) it was a "Thunderbird," so... not that different from a phoenix, just slightly more appropriate in a story about a pony who like clouds. I really hope I don't get held up on that part.

I've also used a Chimera in a pony story before, (it got me into the second round of the competition! ^^) which I believe fits into the MLP setting pretty well, considering how much of their setting takes and borrows from ancient Greek mythology. Wikipedia has a list of greek mythological creatures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_mythological_creatures), which I find very useful when brainstorming for original content. On top of several horse-related or partially-horse creatures, it offers several creatures that are part human, which I believe would fit into the setting very nicely with just a few creative changes, like the manticore or minotaur already have.

One of the most interesting on the list, in my opinion, is the Taraxippus, or the "horse disturber." Though I haven't read into it very much, it doesn't appear to be well defined, but it is described as a ghost or a site that inspires fear in horses for no apparent reason. I think a creative enough mind could find a way to make a very compelling story featuring this, er, 'creature.'

Sorry if you were looking for specifically original creatures, though hopefully this mythos will provide inspiration as well as it's own creatures. If it doesn't, I don't think branching out into other mythologies would be going too far over the line either.

here is my idea a

Timber Ponies have the base of an unicorn but more like a timber wolf timber ponies also live in the everfree forest like all crystal ponies are earth ponies all timber ponies are unicorn

tell me what u thing and if possible try to draw it

• 1 month later...

One of the major races in my built-upon story canon has been a subspecies of griffon from the Frozen North, called- aptly enough- Northern Griffons. They are the natural evolution of a group of griffons who splintered off from the main species eons ago and fled west across the ocean, resistant to cold and magical forces from living in a very hostile environment- bitterly cold, low in most natural resources, and filled with dangerous creatures like Windigos and who knows what else- in addition to conflicting with the neighboring Crystal Kingdom on very regular basis. Most of their kind are larger than normal Griffons but less agile, and come in various shades and patterns of white or grey with spotted or speckled coats being quite common among longer bloodlines. Their capital city, Aethersburg, was established nearly twenty-five hundred years before Equestria was founded, and is said to be the site of a gateway to the afterlife in addition to being a magnificent example of ancient Griffon stonework and architecture.

In contrast to the Crystal Kingdom/Empire's strict monarchy and Equestria's principality, the Northern Griffon Empire they forged evolved from a strict imperialistic government ruled by warrior-kings and queens in the days of King Sombra to a Griffon Confederacy overseen by a parliamentary monarchy headed by a Premier. Your average Northern Griffon living in his homeland possesses only minor say over what occurs in day-to-day government, but the near total control of local industry by private owners means that the people, in the end, hold absolute sway over the long-term goals of the government.

Just a few tidbits for now. I might write up more later.

Archived