Greek Goddess Ponies

KingM

While re-watching the episode "Look Before You Sleep", I found myself joking about how it was Zeus's fault for the tree to be struck by lightning but then questioned; Is Zeus (or any of the Greek Gods for that matter) in MLP?

The more I think about it It's doesn't seem like any kind of God would be in control of the weather as Pegasi do that for the most part. Specifically, in the case of Ponyville, Rainbow Dash. But what does she have a cutiemark? A THUNDER BOLT. As in, the symbol of power for Zeus himself. And that's when it hit me, every one of the Mane 6 represents a different Greek god. (Could also be seen as Nike, the WINGED goddes of Victory and competition.)

Twilight, being of course the smartest and main tactician of the group, would represent Athena, Goddess of wisdom and battle. That would be obvious for someone with basic knowledge of Greek mythology. Her pet and assistant, Owllwiscious, is even a symbol of Athena. But what about her other Assistant? Spike the Dragon, had, for the most part, a very unusual birth. He was born by the way of magic as Twilight's test. In the myth of Athena's birth, she was born from Zeus just thinking of her. Born of thought. See the resemblance?

Rarity is a bit harder to place. she could be linked to Aphrodite, the Goddess of love and passion. Although Princess Cadence could fit that more closely as she is the Alicorn of Love, though i doubt she has as many followers as Rarity in terms of the famdom... Other possibilities are Hera, the Goddess of Marriage, because, really, who would plan a better wedding than her, and more loosely Hephaestus, The God of smiths and Craftsmanship (most unlikely).

Applejack and Fluttershy are the most straight forward of the group. AJ would be Demeter, The Goddess of agriculture. Clearly for apples but also that Sweet Apple Acres have other crops like corn and carrots. Flutters' connection to animals could bee seen as reference to Pan, god of Nature. It also helps that Pan is sometimes, though not always, known to be reclusive and hides from humans and civilization

And then there is Pinkie Pie. My favorite theory by far is that she mirrors Dionysus. He is know to be God of three things (four not including Leopards). One of which being God of celebration which Pinkie is most known for. The second is Wine. No, I'm not implying Pinkie is an alcoholic but when a man has had too much to drink he sometimes moves his mouth more than he should, or would if sober. Pinkie has a tendency to have a bad case of hoof in mouth syndrome, always speaking her mind and having a weird way of rationalizing things. you probably know someone or know yourself to be like that when drunk. Finally the third and probably best connection of all is he is the God of insanity. One word: Pinkamena. In the episode "Party of One" we see a very dark side of Pinkie's mind as she just how unstable she really is. that's nothing to say of her 4th wall braking ability. But if that's not enough for you, I know some people who is driven "Bat **** up the ****ing Belfry" crazy with rage for her so there's that.

Their are other side characters that could fit in this list like Discord, Luna, ect. so I want you to find as many as you can come up with. There could even be some Minor Greek gods I had forgotten about.

(BTW if they don't use anything with the whole tartars thing at all, I'll be sorely disappointed.)

I think princess celestia would be hera, the queen. Luna would be hmmm, maybe selene the goddess of the moon xD! Discord would be in egyptian mythology, set; god of chaos. Derpy would be..... probably a nymph XD.

• 1 month later...

Luna is not Horus. I would see Rainbow as Horus in Egyptian mythology!! To be speaking Twilight would be thoth. I'll put a list below.

(Egyptian)

Celestia: Ra (Sun)

Luna: Aah (Moon)

Twilight: Thoth (Knowledge) or Ma'at (Order)

Rainbow: Horus (Everything..)

Fluttershy: Hathor

Pinkie: I have no idea xD

Applejack: Geb (Earth)

Rarity: She just doesn't fit.

(Greek)

Celestia: Apollo (Sun)

Luna: Athena (Moon)

Twilight: Athena (Wisdom)

Rainbow Dash: Ares (Fighting)

Fluttershy: Persesephone (Spring and Animals)

Applejack: Demeter (Harvest)

Pinkie Pie: ??

Rarity: Aphrodite (Beauty)

Thats my list :P

Oh yeah, forgot about that about RD being more suited as Horus after reading a brief description of Horus' wiki.

The name's Iah for Egyptian god of the moon.

2 Athena's in Greek mythology?

Lol, sadly, nopony is playing Osiris or Hades.

On the topic of Rainbow Dash, you betcha that she's Nike. But consider the following! Iris is the (often, not always) winged messenger of the Gods and travels via rainbow!

I know this is off topic, but my fav song is up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right,b,a,select,start

actually...................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Zeus really fits no one in the FiM series...

Archived