A Manehattan Surprise! (Pyro!)

Lilia

CosmoBanner.jpg

Finally back at home! Cosmo groaned in pleasure at the sounds the great city of Manehattan, the hustle and bustle lifting her spirits. After her time in Ponyville, she felt the need to come home and relax. She hadn't bothered to replace her scarf, or any items she had lost along the way. She knew these busy streets like she knew her magic, all to intimately. She could tentatively say she had made a friend, and that in and of itself fulfilled the requirements of her being away. The pink mare froze at the sight of her best friend since fillyhood, Star Shine. Why was she at the station? She sighed. She had sent a notice to her office saying she was coming home, after all. She brightened considerably seeing the tiny filly that was named Star Dust. Apt, considering the little thing took after her mother more than her father. When the train stopped, she trotted out to see her friend's daughter up close.

"Hello, Star. Hi, Star Dust! I'm Cosmo. Your mommy is a good friend of mine...can I be your friend too?" She asked playfully, watching as the filly clapped her hooves in the positive.

"Hello, Cosmo. You're back two weeks early! What happened, did you find your stallion or something? Because I'll push you right back onto that train if you haven't found your special somepony!" Star Shine responded, levitating her daughter onto her back as she stared at Cosmo.

"I did not, however, I did make a new friend. He's a pyromancer, and he lives in Canterlot. Before you ask, I am back because I can't visit other cities after the fiasco in Ponyville. It's a quaint town, lots of lovely folks, but one just....she just rubbed me the wrong way and was horribly rude. So I wanted to come home and enjoy life here. I'm glad that you care so much about my welfare that you want me to leave again...I just want to go back to work, get Dream Dancer to come in and explain why we can't set a lot of things on fire for her shoots....the fireplace is the only thing I'm willing to use for Hearth's Warming Eve photos..." Cosmo explained, shaking her head at the idea that her friend would push the topic any further.

Pyro had returned home after the race for a brief rest before getting on the train to Manehatten. Ponyville had been a nice town, but there did seem to be a pattern developing involving his trips there. Every time he had been there, something had happened. He had only been there twice, but the pattern still held true. The first time, he had to fight off changelings, and the second time, he nearly lost control of his magic. Needless to say, his parents were worried about him. It probably didn't help that he kept traveling away from them. Either way, they seemed more okay with this trip to Manehatten. Probably because he was going on business, and they knew his business generally didn't take long.

He watched the scenery pass by as the train sped towards it's destination. Pretty soon, the city came into sight and Pyro saw Manehatten for the first time. He made a slight noise that could be interpreted as a groan, even though it sounded like a combination of a variety of noises. He wasn't looking forward to dealing with the hustle and bustle of the city. Canterlot had that too, but it looked like it would be much worse here.

As the train came to a stop in the station, Pyro got up and went to the door. He took a moment to collect himself before the door opened and he stepped out onto the platform. Looking around, he found, to his surprise, Cosmo talking to another mare and a filly. He made his way over to the group and stopped near Cosmo. "Hello, Cosmo. Who's your friend?" Pyro asked, smiling at the two mares and the filly that was with them.

CosmoBanner.jpg

Cosmo turned to Pyro when he spoke, smiling warmly at him.

"Welcome to Manehattan, Pyro! This is--" She started to say, cut off by the mare beside her.

"I'm Star Shine, this is my daughter, Star Dust! Cosmo, you never said that he was so cute! Trust my boss to find the really good looking stallions...Well, anyway. Cosmo, I'm going back to Comet, ok? Don't overwork yourself--AND STAY AWAY FROM THE CIDER! It was a pleasure meeting you, Pyro. Keep an eye on her, please?" Star cut in, playfully nudging Cosmo before giving Pyro a warm grin.

"Oh for the love of....I don't have a cider problem. Star is just jealous that I can have some and she can't. Anyway. Would you like a tour or was the trip here tiring?" Cosmo asked, sticking her tongue out at the retreating figure of her friend when she had the chance.

Pyro smiled at the greeting Cosmo gave him, becoming slightly annoyed when the mare interrupted her. He easily got over it and kept smiling as the mare introduced herself and the filly. His smile became one of amusment when Star Shine said he was cute, and good looking. Apparently she worked at Cosmo's magazine, seeing as she had called Cosmo her boss.

"Pleasure meeting you too. Sure thing, Star. Take care." Pyro called after the mare as she left. He turned towards Cosmo as she began speaking again. He chuckled as she talked about Star being jealous of her ability to have cider. When she asked about having a tour, he looked back at the train. He wasn't sure why it would be tiring to ride a train, but he certainly wasn't tired from his trip. He nodded and smiled before speaking.

"Sure, let's have a tour, assuming you're up for it." Pyro said, looking back to Cosmo and smiling at her as she stuck her tongue out at Star.

CosmoBanner.jpg

Cosmo grinned at Pyro when he said he'd like a tour, almost dancing in place in eagerness to get started. When he was ready, she began to speak.

"First, we have the Manehattan train station. Everypony from all walks of life come through these doors, looking for fame, fortune and that something special. Normally, it's a lot busier than today, but with the Equestria Games looming, nopony wants to be here until they can go to the Crystal Empire. Just outside, we have Pirrore's Pizza. Not many ponies stop in anymore, but Mister Pirrore has the absolute best pizza in Manehatan that I've enjoyed. Next to him is the Foal's Palace, a great foalsitting facility--at least so Star tells me. The tall glass building a little ways away is the offices of Fashionista, the magazine I edit. I'd take you in right now, but we can worry about you meeting Dream tomorrow. Nearby there are all the high-fashion stores that make Manehattan what it is. I do love being in those stores when new fashions hit, but nothing can beat the Scene. The Scene is where all ponies with an inner geek go to talk about the most recent everything, from the latest episode of My Happy Humans to Unicorns of the Coast's release of Ponies and Dragons edition five...and all the greatest comic book heroes and their movies, too. Of course, most ponies want to stay here at the Stable Inn but end up staying with friends and relatives for easier access to everything the Stable offers for a much better price--Free." She rattled, taking the time to stop at each location as she explained. She blushed at the knowledge she had of the Scene, the only thing that would admit she was a frequent pony inside. She made a final pause outside an unassuming brick building, hesitating only for a second before opening the door.

"This is my home. If you would like, you can stay here. I have far too many rooms that don't see much use...and it would be easier for you to stay here than wherever you planned to. Manehattan may be sparkly on the outside, but even we who call this city our home still stay inside after dark. No city is perfect...especially not this one." She added softly, biting her muzzle as she recalled the string of thefts that had occurred while she was on 'vacation'.

Pyro smiled at Cosmo's apparent eagerness to start the tour. He nodded, and she set out, talking about the train station. It made sense that ponies would want to go to the games instead of here. He followed her around, nodding at her descriptions of the various places. He might have to try that pizza place before he left, it sounded good. He wasn't really interested in a foalsitting place, but he nodded anyways. Then she pointed out the office building for her magazine, saying he could meet the model tomorrow. It looked like a nice building, which was about what he expected from a place involving fashion. Then she went on to point out the fashion stores, which he really didn't care about, but Cosmo liked them, so he didn't say anything about them. Then she went much more in depth about the Scene. He guessed she had been there before, most likely many times. Then she mentioned that ponies often stayed with friends instead of staying in the hotel, and he was glad he had made a friend before coming to the city. The next pause was in front of a brick building. It looked residential, which made him wonder why they were stopping here. His question was answered when Cosmo opened the door, stating it was her home.

"Well, okay. I'll stay with you, as long as you're sure about this." Pyro said, Cosmo's offer causing him to smile. She was certainly nice, and a good friend to have. "So, what should I know about your place?" Pyro questioned, moving around in the main room.

• 4 weeks later...

Cosmo smiled at Pyro's agreement, stepping inside to place her saddlebags on a twisty rack.

"First is that this whole building is attatched to my job, so don't be surprised when other ponies pop in to say hello. Second, as my guest, you are allowed free-reign on most everything here...including the kitchens if you want to cook. Third, most of the time...there is a risk of me setting the kitchens on fire. I keep getting told to stay away but...I really think cooking is important and it's not my fault things sort of...well, you'll see. Oh! The bathroom is two doors down on the right...and you can pick any unoccupied room to sleep in." She rattled, growing flustered at the idea of actually setting her home on fire from her cooking.

Pyro stopped moving around when Cosmo started talking, saying the entire place was connected to her job. Were they really that close to the offices? Were the buildings literally connected? Pyro tilted his head slightly in thought, still listening to Cosmo's words. She gave him free reign of most everything in the place, which was nice. Then she warned she might set the kitchen on fire trying to cook. This caused Pyro to smile to himself. If she did manage to start a fire while he was here, he could easily help with putting it out.

She mentioned that she thought cooking was important, which he had to agree with. Cooked meals beat eating cold foods. It wasn't much trouble for him to heat up the foods, but they never tasted the same as when his mom would actually cook the food. Cosmo went on to point out the location of the bathroom, and then said he could use any unoccupied room to sleep in.

"Sounds good. Guess I'll go find a room then." Pyro said to Cosmo before turning down the hall. He entered the first unoccupied room he found, then placed his things on the bed. He really hadn't brought much, just the basics, toiletries and such. He had also brought money in case he needed it for something.

With that done, he walked back out to the main area. "So, what should we do now?" Pyro asked, not sure what there was to do in the city, besides going to the places she had shown him.

Cosmo waited until Pyro was setting things into his room before hanging her head. It had been a long day, longer still with the knowledge that the fire-loving model would be coming back in shortly. This was her home, one she had inherited after getting her hoof in the door at the magazine. She had decided to set it up as a house for the magazine workers, so those that didn't have families close by could still be close to work. Hearing Pyro coming down the hall, she pushed aside the negative thoughts almost violently, his question making her grin.

"Well, there is always a theater playing something. Then, of course, there is Scene but that's for another time, after you're more confident in your self-restraint. There are a few plays being done, but most importantly, I can make us some dinner to mull over whatever happens next. What I can't make, we can order for--if I mess it up." She said, pausing momentarily to think of what could be done in Manehattan that the touristy types of ponies wouldn't dream of doing to death. "There is also the...well, there is the Tower. Nopony really goes there anymore--not since a rumor started years ago about the Tower being haunted..."

Pyro listened as she talked about theaters and mentioned the Scene. When she said that would be for when he had more self control, Pyro snorted and smiled. She continued on, mentioning plays going on and fixing dinner for them. Then she paused, as if she were thinking of what to say next. She eventually continued, saying something about a haunted tower. She seemed to be done talking, so Pyro took his turn.

"If you were referring to my little problem during the race when you mentioned the Scene, you shouldn't have to worry about that. It only happens when I become overly angry, and man was that race angering me. I can put up with a lot of stuff, but innocents being threatened is not one of them." Pyro said. He had been absentmindedly waving his hoof around, but brought it down hard at the end of his talking. He paused at that, eventually sighing before continuing.

"Sorry. Dinner sounds pretty good right now. I'll help you if you want. What was that about the Tower? Why do ponies think it's haunted?" He said. Just thinking about innocents in danger had made him mad. Thankfully, it hadn't created much rage, so he easily contained the increased magic that came with the rage.

• 2 weeks later...

Cosmo smiled as Pyro explained what happened in the race, holding back her laugh as he got curious about the Tower.

The Tower is supposedly haunted by a little filly who passed away there after doing a dare her school friends set up. It’s become a sort of rite of passage for foals here to attempt to spend the night inside, but so many run out….it’s not really haunted, though. Those of us who passed the test and stayed the night found that out all by ourselves. The Tower is more along the lines of a creepy building than a real haunted tower… And the Scene can get pretty intense. There have been full-on hoof-fights because of a disagreement about something there…Mares and stallions alike go to have fun, but because it’s all ‘Heat of the moment’ stuff…well, you can see why I’d worry. Now, let’s see what you like.” She responded, trying to hold back the laughter from her fillyhood days of doing unnecessarily dangerous things.

Pyro listened to Cosmo explain the Tower. They didn't have any buildings that were supposedly haunted back in Canterlot. Or maybe they did. If there was one, he hadn't payed any attention to it. It was pretty obvious that Cosmo had stayed the entire night. He wondered what else she had done in her fillydom.

Then she continued, talking about there being fights at the Scene over disagreements. She mentioned she was worried because it was all heat of the moment stuff. It made sense. The fights wouldn't help his control, not since it's not an organized fight. Then again, maybe it would. Fighting helped relieve his anger, so trying to break one up, or participating in one, could possibly reduce his anger level. It didn't really matter though, he could just go to one of the other places she had mentioned.

"What I like? I'll assume you mean food. Honestly, I'm okay with practically any kind of food. Anyways, let's go get the dinner ready." Pyro said, smiling a bit. He walked into the kitchen and waited for Cosmo to follow him.

• 1 month later...

Cosmo blushed, following Pyro into the kitchen. She smiled at him, doing her best to conceal the flush under her pelt.

"Of course I meant food, silly Stallion. If you're okay with practically anything then...hm. Why don't I make you a hay burger? It's fairly simple...and I probably won't burn anything..." She murmured, grateful that the kitchen was always fully stocked.

Pyro glanced at Cosmo, and thought he saw the hint of a blush. Was she blushing? Why? Was it something he had said? He tilted his head very slightly before mentally shrugging and turning away. He snorted when she spoke, calling him silly. Well, it's not like she was really all that specific when she had said that. At least he had guessed her meaning correctly on the first try. He almost missed her suggestion of what she could make for him, but he caught it. He smiled to himself when she said that she probably wouldn't burn it. And that was where one of the benefits of fire magic came from. Using it, you could cook any meal whenever you need to with the flame.

"Hay burgers sound great. You know, if you're worried about burning it, I could take care of that part of the process. I've cooked food before using my magic. 'Cause why not, right?" Pyro said, looking over at Cosmo and smiling slightly.

Archived