Major League Baseball

The season may be over, but this offseason still has a lot to discuss. What's your take on all the offseason deals and signings? How do you feel about your favorite team going into the 2014 season? Which MLB team do you think will win the right to sign Masahiro Tanaka? Do you hope YOUR team wins the bid to sign Tanaka? Who do you think will make the 2014 playoffs? Who will win the World Series? It's all here!

My favorite team, of course, is the Texas Rangers. Been through thick and thin with them as long as I can remember. I remember the days of Hank Blalock, Michael Young, Alex Rodriguez (yes, there was a time A-Rod played for the Rangers), Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez, Carl Everett...the Rangers of the new millenium. I'm old enough and have watched long enough to remember when all they had going for them were big bats. The pitching stank to high heaven and was completely irrelevant back then. I'm glad Nolan Ryan stepped in and helped get the pitching talent they have now. I can name guys in the rotation when I didn't list a single starter in the earlier team. Yu Darvish, Derek Holland, Alexi Ogando, Joe Nathan (free agent), Neftali Feliz...I thought of other names, but I remembered they have since gone to other teams.

And this offseason...Opening Day cannot come soon enough. With the additions of Prince Fielder (The Tigers even paid Texas $30 million in the deal!) and Shin Soo Choo, the Rangers once again have a loaded lineup ready for the next season at bat. Buster Olney even went so far as to name the Texas Rangers the best lineup in baseball preseason. That might not mean much once the season gets going, but I love their prospects at a playoff run this year after the heartbreaking past 4 seasons. 2010 was supposed to be the year. 2011 was DEFINITELY supposed to. 2012 was until they couldn't get so much as one win in the end stretch. I had a feeling 2013 was going to be the year until midway through the season.

But this time...shall be different! Even if I am blinded by bias, this year will finally be the year the Rangers win it all!

As soon as I say that and if they don't win it all, someone is going to say "It's not different at all...is it, Steve!? MUAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Lifelong Atlanta Braves fan here. Hoping this is the year our postseason woes come to an end. It bugs me to no end that we're moving out of Turner Field and building a new stadium in Cobb County, GA. I basically grew up in the stands at Turner Field. No matter what, I still have a good feeling that before it's all over with we'll be heading into the new stadium with a World Series. Go Braves!

• 4 months later...

Huge Rangers fan, bumping up what seems to be a pretty dead thread :idea:

We've hit a huge slump lately...at one point we were 14-9, now we're 21-23. Things need to pick up - we should be a real contender, and here we are, just letting our chances to go deep into the playoffs slide away from us . We've got Fielder, and our RF fence is one of the shortest in the league. All he'd have to do is make contact with the ball and he should be able to pull it into the cheap seats :wail: Then a slew of injuries are keeping us down...

You know what, though? I'm keeping faith. There's hope still, and I'm not losing it ;)

• 2 months later...

Archived