[Carousel Boutique] Avant-Garde, Indeed! (Closed)

Kudalyn

Rarity

"Oooh... This simply won't do... How about... Nononono this is absolutely the wrong color for this fabric..."

The white unicorn was bent over her latest sewing kit, bobbles and spools flying in all directions as she sifted through her newest threads, trying to find just the right color for her latest masterpiece. Her brow furrowed in concentration, her chic glasses nearly sliding off her nose before she caught them with her magic, keeping them firmly in place as she dug even deeper through her box.

"No... that one has too much 'shar truce'... Ah ha! Found it!~ The perfect thread for my latest creation!" She gasped delightedly, trotting over to her sewing machine where her latest dress was waiting. So far it was still in cut pieces of fabric, but in no time it was sure to be her latest masterpiece, and her skills and talent were to once again be known across Equestria! Recently she had been bopped out of first place in the Fashion realm by this uppity new-comer... who's designs were simply atrocious and much to 'avant-garde' in Rarity's opinion. Sure, a little experimenting with designs was good... but for a dress to be made completely out of hay and wheat?

Rarity shivered at the thought, nearly dropping her thread spool. She quickly regained her concentration, the thread slipping through the needle easily as she started up the machine, needle and thread beginning to being her dress to life.

Whilst Rarity was working on her craft, the 'world's finest flyer' was perfecting hers whilst at the same time trying to clean up the sky, today's forecast was sunny and clear so she had to deal with that seeing as most of the other pegasi were working on the other parts of the Ponyville territory.

But it was SO boring! Just moving clouds.

So she'd chosen to do it in a much more interesting manner, by performing great loops and rolls within the air and barrelling through the clouds like a speeding bullet that ripped through the air currents and caused great screeches as her wings sliced against the wind. She was in her comfort zone, her element and she felt in complete control of herself...well...up until the bird.

Yeah, so content as she was, she'd forgotten birds also inhabited this airway and the minor weight pushing against the side of her belly caused her to spiral and fall suddenly until towards the ground, pulling up before she ended up causing a mess of the ponies beneath. But in doing so, had made her aim rather strong and true as she ended up shooting herself across the square and the streets and towards one of her friends door.

Oh this was going to sting.

Her hooves connected with the front door and it swung open with the ringing of the bell it often had when visitors came to call, now it jostled and swung violently with its knell as the rainbow haired mare streaked into the store and ended up crashing into some of the distant models that were stacked by the wall, along with a few rolls of fabric now wrapped arounmd her in an odd show. Only when the world stopped rolling and she could see clearly, could she see that she was upside down and caught up in the grasp of the mannequins and taffita.

This was not good...glancing towards the machine where Rarity was sat, she tried her best winning smile.

"Hehe...hi Rarity, thought I'd uhh....drop in?"

hoitytoitybanner.jpg

Canterlot's finest and hippest fashion designer was in Ponyville once again. He now had decided he needed a closer look at fashion in the other regions of Equestria, besides his own and the place where royalty lived. He had just finished one of his major creations for Princess Luna and Princess Celestia, a combo he was pretty proud of. He had used a few risky techniques but they had all succeeded. And even though he showed no smile, all due to his snob side, he felt pretty happy with himself inside. A happiness he hadn't felt in a long while. It just meant he had succeeded more than before.

But in that day, he intended to visit his favorite fashionista. The one that had provided her with a group of six amazing designs, not too long ago, and that had marked him for good. He didn't forget about her now that he had his fashion blessing.

He paced in the direction of her beautiful boutique, and knocked three times. But of course that was just to show he still had some good manners. He then pushed the door with his right hoof and made the bell ring. A perfect entrance for him, he would have said.

"Ah, Rarity, my beloved dress maker!", he said in a somewhat merry tone. He walked forward, now showing a wide smile as he approached her, "Any new creations I can display at my awesome and rich boutique?"

Rarity

"RAINBOW!" Rarity gasped horrified, a hoof over her heart as she whirled around to see the colorful pegasus had utterly destroyed a corner of her shop.

"Dear Celestia, What are you doing?! I understand the importance of a 'grand entrance' but this! This is simply too much!" She said, her hair already going frizzy as she shut off her sewing machine, her magic pulling the fabric rolls off of Rainbow and setting the mannequins upright.

"Really, Rainbow. You know I hate it when you simply crash in. 'Equestria's Best Flier' indeed! Do you know how long it took me to repair the hole in my roof the last time you crash-landed? Almost three whole hours out of my schedule! I could have made a whole new dress if you hadn't decided to try your newest tricks right over my shop!" Rarity ranted off, trying to smooth her mane as she trotted back over to her sewing machine, leaving her friend to let herself off the floor in her frazzledness.

"Oh! You even made me miss a stitch! I have to re-thread this whole section now!" Rarity fretted, her magic already pulling the thread out of the fabric with ease. Normally Rarity wasn't this easily ruffled, but this new-comer on the fashion scene had been pushing a few too many of her buttons, so her tolerance level had been a bit low the last few days.

Suddenly, she heard some light knocking on her door, before her bell rung, signifying someone had just walked in. She took a deep breath, readying herself for her usual welcoming sales pitch.

"Ah, Rarity, my beloved dress maker! Any new creations I can display at my awesome and rich boutique?" Came the unmistakable, uppity tone from one other than Hoity-Toity, the famous fashion designer who first helped Rarity reach fame - for a short while.

"H-H-Hoity-Toity!!! Sir! H-how are you? This is... rather unexpected!" She gasped out, her glasses nearly falling off her face. Good thing she had already cleared up the disaster Rainbow had made, it would have been disastrous for Hoity-Toity to see her Boutique in such a mess!

((hgfdjehdsjahd two awesome cast members here icon_arrow.gif Closed the thread so things don't get crowded with ponies))

Blinking where she was upside down till she was sorted out, the rainbow haired filly shook the senses back into her head and made sure nothing was damaged. A bruise here. A bruise there. But nothing a good night's sleep wouldn't cure or a trip to nurse Redheart and she finally looked to Rarity, still trying that winning smile, if a bit tenuos and downtrodded as she was being told off, scuffing a hoof against the ground as her bottom jaw jutted out in the faintest of pouts.

Following after the unicorn as she ranted, the sky blue pegasus fluttered after her as was her rason detre and tried to butt in at some point, only finding herself cut off.

"Rarity I said I was sorry for the roof last time and I'm sorry now! A bird got me off my flight pattern, it's not like I MEANT to crash into here!" Trailing off slightly she gave a small, nervous chuckle. "...Heh, y'know, not like last time, b-but I said sorry for that too!"

Blinking at the bell ringing again, she glanced at the door and tilted her head at the navy colored pony with the really big hair. Wasn't he the guy at both Rarity's fashion shows? As soon as she heard that thick, snobby accent, she deffinately knew and couldn't help but smile at her unicorn friend. Maybe this would make her forget about the incident.

hoitytoitybanner.jpg

Hoity-Toity didn't even notice the presence of the rainbow maned pony, simply because Rarity was his star in that boutique for him. He walked forward, heading towards the pony manequin with Rarity's last creation and paused there for a moment. He admired the details, even if the piece was still in progress. But he could already evaluate it, since the beginnings of pieces were the most important part of big masterpieces.

"This has a promising look to it! I can't wait to see this piece finished!", he said with a wide smile, raising his hoof as he always did when watching a piece. He already knew that Rarity was quite talented, but every now and then he came to Ponyville to check her new pieces.

He then turned to the author of the fashion piece, now with a more serious expression. He held his glasses with one hoof, looking at her with his large dark blue eyes. "What are the threads you are going to use on this piece, Miss Rarity? I hope you're not considering the use of sparkly ones."

Rarity

"O..oh of course not sir! That would be simply too... uh... 'flamboyant' for this style of dress." Rarity said sheepishly, using a hind leg to kick some spools of sparkly thread out of view that she had pulled from her kit ten minutes prior to this whole event.

As Hoity got absorbed looking at her pattern again, Rarity sidestepped swiftly to Rainbow's side to whisper to her out of the corner of her mouth. "Now Rainbow, I know you didn't -mean- to crash into my boutique, but pleeeease try to be more careful from now on! Now, you can stay here until Mister Toity leaves, but please, please try your best not to make a mess or ruin anything!" She said, sidestepping bac to Hoity's side before he even noticed she had moved.

"Well, sir. Do you approve of this design? Is there any pointers you would like to give? O-or would you like to see any of my new designs?" Rarity said, nervously pulling up a hornful of sketches and designs off of her wall to stuff them in Hoity's face with her magic.

hoitytoitybanner.jpg

The oh so famous fashionista was caught by surprise by that hornful of sketches for new outfit designs, and yet he didn't manage to see them all. He took a closer look at every single one of them, mumbling comments and ideas for himself. They all had a lot of potential, but Rarity needed to improve them in many ways. He shoved them aside with his left hoof, staying face to face with the purple maned fashion designer.

"You have wonderful ideas as usual, my dear.", he said, "But I need something with something more than you are used to see. Something wonderful, marvelous, rare!"

He pulled his glasses down with one hoof again, smirking at Rarity and taking a step forward on her direction. He now seemed to be even more excited than before, and expecting for her to accept his challenge. "Something... avant-garde!"

• 2 weeks later...

Wait. So she had to stand here and be all quiet and stuff? Lame. Completely and utterly lame. As Rarity looked at her though, Rainbow strained to say 'no' and just forced the biggest 'I'll try my best' smile before the pristine coated unicorn vanished to the other well groomed pony in the store.

She couldn't understand the need to endlessly being so styled, she had a speedy lifestyle and her hair was suited to that lifestyle, plus it just looked -awesome-.

But now with nothing to do she just tried to show some sort of interest in what exactly was going on in the boutique today.

The excitability of the two fashion ponies struck her as a bit odd, mostly because...well...it was obvious Rainbow wasn't a fashionable pony (even if she thought the design for her old outfit was AWESOME) and she just had to stand there and stare in faint confusion as to what everything meant.

And then the stallion said something that confused the chromatic maned mare even more.

"Avant-garde?" She asked out loud before looking to Rarity. "Is that some kind of weird fabric?"

Rarity

Rarity visibly twitched.

"A...a...avant....garde...sir?" She said, already feeling faint as the words left her mouth. She swooned a little bit, but managed to pull herself together before she fainted. She gave her head a shake, mentally slapping herself. No fainting in front of one of the front-most ponies of fashion! Who knows what that would do to her career if she presented herself that way!

"A-are you sure, sir? I know that... avant-garde.... is the latest trend, but do you really think it is worth making a new design for? I-I know that that style comes and goes like a spring breeze, so I to believe that making a new design with that style would be a bit risky..." She said, practically spitting out the word as she scrambled for excuses, ideas, ANYTHING to get Hoity's mind off of the 'avant-garde' idea. Avant-garde was not elegant. Avant-garde was not supreme. Avant-garde was... simply.... not Rarity!

"Oh...Ha ha, Rainbow. You silly pony... avant-garde is not a fabric! If it was.... no pony in their right minds would even touch the stuff..." She said, mumbling the last bit bitterly under her breath.

hoitytoitybanner.jpg

But Hoity-Toity was determined to have an avant-garde design dress on his own boutique back in Canterlot. He chuckled and then spoke again. "Dahhling, dahhling, dahhling! Being such an amazing designer you should already know that that's the key to bring a new permanent trend! If your avant-garde design is shown up in my boutique and even in yours, it will be a shock to the fashion community, and an alert to all of those who wanna be trendy!", he explained, gesturing with his hooves several times, making large and wide movements. He knew that she was capable of doing such a thing, since he didn't doubt about her capacities ever since the day he saw a fashion show made by her.

No way he would give up on that design. He wanted a pony model to wear that. He wanted the most famous ponies to wear that design.

Being explained what 'Avant-Garde' was didn't make it any clearer to Rainbow Dash but it certainly did confuse her, aswell as Rarity's fear of going anywhere near the subject. Since when was prima donna RARITY afraid of anything to do with fashion!?

Perking a brow as she watched the unicorn try and make excuses for herself, the pegasi couldn't help but raise a hoof and gently prod the emaculate coat of the fashionista despite the reservations she had of her dusty skywalking hooves touching the OCD friend of hers.

But darnit this pony needed a talkin' too!

"What the HECK are you talkin' about, Rarity!?" The brash sky blue pegasus blurted out. "You're probably the best fashion pony in all of Equestria, especially after putting up with our dumb decisions for outfits! If I can perform a sonic rainboom whilst simultaneously saving your flank and the flank of three Wonderbolts, you can sure as PONYFEATHERS do this Avant-Gardey stuff!"

If Rainbow was nothing else, she was a pony that was very honest about her opinion - almost to a point of being painfully blunt about it and stood her ground as she stared at her friend determindly.