PrinceKeptu

Name:

Jack O'Lantern

Stallion

Young Stallion

Species:

Pegasus

Eye colour:

A deep rich Amber Orange that sparkles in the Moonlight.

Character colour:

Black with light to dark Orange fading along his hooves.

Mane/Tail/Other:

A long silky Black with bright Orange streaks that run through both Mane and Tail.

Physique:

Long Slender legs and an Athletic build, Elegant yet Strong wings along his back.

Residence:

He has no current residence, though he is constantly drawn to any place that may have Pumpkins.

Seems to have no kind of occupation, though seems to constantly be looking after pumpkins.

Cutie Mark: (Edited twice.)

A wickedly smiling jack-o-lantern that is slightly tilted, a little green vine swirling and twirling down along the right side of the Pumpkin.

How he got his Cutie Mark:

It was a dark and beautiful night, when deep in an overgrown looking makeshift Pumpkin Patch, a young Jack O'Lantern heard the sounds of laughter and celebration in the distance; the sounds of Nightmare Night Festivities. Curious, he found himself compelled toward the sounds, where upon looking out from the little makeshift Patch he found some Ponies looking at the Pumpkins and sighing at their small size. Just as the Ponies seemed to notice him, Jack O'Lantern concentrated as hard as he could to communicate with his beloved friends and help the Pumpkins grow brighter and more beautiful right before the onlooking Ponies eyes.

The ponies all seemed shocked by what they saw and stared in awe. They had never actually seen Pumpkins grow before, let alone encounter a Pony that could make them grow. As Jack O'Lantern concentrated and spoke, his words of encouragement seemed to fill himself with a rather proud feeling of accomplishment. The feeling would spread throughout him and, for some odd reason or another, the onlooking Ponies would let out a gasp of surprise. Curious and a bit confused, Jack O'Lantern would tilt and turn his head and slender neck to try and see what was going on and where the strange noise had come from.

As Jack O'Lantern would turn his head though, he would spot something odd near his flank and would turn, circling slightly, to try and see what was there and make the attempt to try and remove it. His mood lightening further it would become a sort of game for him, frolicking about in the circle until he slid to a stop, his deep Amber Orange eyes widening slightly as he saw the image there upon his rump: A little Pumpkin carved into a smiling jack-o-lantern.

Unique Traits: (Edited once.)

Is able to connect with the Pumpkins that he spends the most time with, able to easily coax and encourage them to grow. The night after Nightmare Night is always the best time to get Pumpkins from places that he has visited.

History:

Born in a Pumpkin Patch, Jack O'Lantern was a tiny little foal, full of life and curious about everything in the world around him. The light in his eyes practically glew as his little eyes would fall upon the Pumpkins around him and his Mother. As soon as he was weened, his Mother seemed to fade back into the light mist that would slip along the streets, roads and over the ground each Nightmare Night on the soft fluttering of her elegant wings. Life from that moment on was him learning everything for himself. It was rather easy for him to fend for himself, the young Pegasus learning about Pumpkins above all else, seeing as he lived side by side with them in the Patch that he was born in. His full knowledge of what the fruit is truly capable is a Mystery to all.

No one really knows who his Parents are, him having never met his Father and his Mother having disappeared. All he has is is memory of her for the first few months of his life. His life now is what most would deem easy; no job, no worries, no cares; but beneath what they would see would be a complicated and complex world. He has slept amongest the Pumpkins of the Patch, beneath the Canopy of Leaves and Branches of the Trees and upon the soft Green Grass of Fields and Meadows. Staying beneath the Canopy during rainy days and nights he would watch, seeming to blend in with the scenery, hidden from the eyes of the other Ponies.

He travels from place to place (as long as that place has Pumpkins, or has something to do with Pumpkins) either hoofing it through the shadows and scenery or by a gentle nights flight through the star glittered sky. He has been spotted several times, though the sightings were brushed off as simple tricks of the eyes. He never knows where he will go next, letting his heart and nose guide him.

Character Summary/Personality:

His Personality is slightly aggressive when it comes to anyone "harming" (stepping on, smashing, ect) Pumpkins and skittish and shy around other Ponies. He is an incredibly "Wild" Pony.

As he is "Wild" he does not communicate through speech, as other Ponies do. He uses Body Language, Sound and Actions to communicate what he wants to state. His talent is, as his Cutie Mark suggests, is for pumpkins. Making them grow, encouraging them to use all of their might to progress in their lives, helping them develop in each stage. His motivations seem solely based around the Protection of and Care of the fruit that he seems to have such a love for.

Having a deep fondness for the Pumpkins, he seems to love making them healthy, not an impurity to be found within any of the Pumpkins he comes into contact with. What angers him the most though, seems to be when he finds a Pumpkin that has been stepped upon, smushed or smashed in any way. To him, it is like harming a family member. He does, however, seem to not mind the usage of Pumpkins for Nightmare Night and in the making of Foods of all kinds. He has not had much actual contact with other Ponies though, always seeming to shy away from them into the safety of the arms of the forestry.

He spends his time nosing over his Pumpkins, nickering softly to the little ones that grew along the Vines. Though his faults seem to show through whenever a Pony would come into question, the little animals like Butterflies and such easier for him to approach and socialize with. It is harder for a little Rabbit to startle or spook him than it is for a Pony.

Thank you for taking another shot at Canterlot Chronicles. Yes, it can be very tough at times to make a character work in our structured RPs. If you stick through it and earnestly take the feedback of the Helpstaff into consideration, this application can work. Now then, here's my feedback:

• Do you plan on Jack having glow-in-the-dark eyes? Note that while we allow some deviation in CC from the show regarding certain subject matters and themes, all characters must stay true to the mechanics established by MLP. Since we've never seen regular ponies with distinctively shiny eyes in MLP (ignoring the cartoon trope of pitch-black scenes with only eyes visible), we can't allow this element in CC.
  • The cutie mark story needs to be rewritten so that Jack is the point of view character; not the eyewitnesses. We need to know what's going through your OC's head when he's getting his cutie mark. Otherwise, the story doesn't describe all that much to users.
  • Please specify in greater detail how exactly your OC takes care of pumpkins. Related to my first point, all plants in MLP are grown the natural way, requiring a pony to physically toil to make crops grow healthy. Never have we seen normal plants grow instantly or "on command" without either unicorn magic or a supernatural force, and we do not permit pony OCs in Canterlot Chronicles to possess supernatural abilities.
  • Perhaps the most troublesome aspect of this application is the fact that I can't see a way for other users to have their OCs interact with Jack. Having a character not speak words is extremely hard to accomplish in a structured RP like Canterlot Chronicles. And because this OC is so obsessed with pumpkins to the exclusion of everything else, nobody who RPs in our structured environment will have an idea as to how to socially bond with Jack. Because we maintain a very high standard of quality with our RPs in Canterlot Chronicles, we require assurance that your pumpkin pony can function in social settings. For starters, you can give your OC additional interests other than pumpkins.

To be frank, the best way to make Jack O'Lantern into a CC character that we'll stamp is to rework him into a standard pumpkin farmer, and remove all the unnecessary supernatural elements in his character design. Anywho, good luck revising your character! ^_^

Thank you for taking another shot at Canterlot Chronicles. Yes, it can be very tough at times to make a character work in our structured RPs. If you stick through it and earnestly take the feedback of the Helpstaff into consideration, this application can work. Now then, here's my feedback:

• Do you plan on Jack having glow-in-the-dark eyes? Note that while we allow some deviation in CC from the show regarding certain subject matters and themes, all characters must stay true to the mechanics established by MLP. Since we've never seen regular ponies with distinctively shiny eyes in MLP (ignoring the cartoon trope of pitch-black scenes with only eyes visible), we can't allow this element in CC.
  • The cutie mark story needs to be rewritten so that Jack is the point of view character; not the eyewitnesses. We need to know what's going through your OC's head when he's getting his cutie mark. Otherwise, the story doesn't describe all that much to users.
  • Please specify in greater detail how exactly your OC takes care of pumpkins. Related to my first point, all plants in MLP are grown the natural way, requiring a pony to physically toil to make crops grow healthy. Never have we seen normal plants grow instantly or "on command" without either unicorn magic or a supernatural force, and we do not permit pony OCs in Canterlot Chronicles to possess supernatural abilities.
  • Perhaps the most troublesome aspect of this application is the fact that I can't see a way for other users to have their OCs interact with Jack. Having a character not speak words is extremely hard to accomplish in a structured RP like Canterlot Chronicles. And because this OC is so obsessed with pumpkins to the exclusion of everything else, nobody who RPs in our structured environment will have an idea as to how to socially bond with Jack. Because we maintain a very high standard of quality with our RPs in Canterlot Chronicles, we require assurance that your pumpkin pony can function in social settings. For starters, you can give your OC additional interests other than pumpkins.

To be frank, the best way to make Jack O'Lantern into a CC character that we'll stamp is to rework him into a standard pumpkin farmer, and remove all the unnecessary supernatural elements in his character design. Otherwise, Free For All is your best option.

His eyes do not glow, they simply reflect the light, like when you shine a light towards a dog or cat when its dark and you see their eyes before you see them.

Why does my Cutie Mark story need to be rewritten? It should be from the point of view of the Narrator, not from the Pony himself, seeing as this is an Application, not the actual RP.

He does not possess "Supernatural Abilities" he simply knows how to speak to Plants, like Fluttershy speaks to Animals.

I cannot give him other interests because Pumpkins and Plants are all he knows. He cannot speak, yet it seems to me that Pumpkins are used in a wide variety of things, as I mentioned in the Character Summary when I said that they were used in Food. He could easily come into contact with another Pony via them collecting Pumpkins from a Stand, loading the Pumpkins into Crates, visiting a Patch, ect. Just because he cannot speak does not mean that he cannot get things across or interact.

There are NO "Supernatural" things about or within my Character.

I am not reworking my Character, he is fine how he is in being a Wild Pony and I do not see why I should have to change him.

Hey Keptu, SteelEagle here. Let me clarify a few things so you understand why you must work with us:

1- The eyes are an issue not because they are reflecting- which in Canterlot Chronicles are a bit unsuual, if not outlawed- but a symptom of some of the more mystical elements in the application. A mother that slips into the mist and more or less abandons her foal sounds like some sort of spirit or other supernatural being. This may simply be a trick of language and a flowery way of saying she abandoned him and that she was normal otherwise, but we need to make sure. The mother, his eyes, his abilities with pumpkins and the 'unknown' nature of the knowledge he has about the potential of pumpkins- we need to know these things so we know wjhether or not the character fits within the rules.

It may seem silly to you, but this is a structured roleplay environment. We need to know these things because as vexing as it may be, we don't want to develop a slippery slope. You are not applying for a single roleplay experience but a whole forum, so understand that we need the full 4-1-1 on your character.

2- Your Cutie Mark Story needs to explain to us how your character got his cutie mark from the character's own point of view. What you have is a tale involving him getting his cutie mark, not why he got it, why he got it then, or how he felt. We need to know about your character, not what others think, hear, or believe regarding him. This is simply so we can make sure it fits within the rules, and it should not be hard for you to do.

3- You may have missed the point that Bellosh is trying to get across, which I will chock up to language differences. You can play a pony who has abnormal social tendencies like your character, but the way he functions forces others to try to interact with him rather than it be a joint venture. It places the burden on the other player and frankly is a bit dull as well.

4- Also understand that Bellosh here is in charge of passing this app for approval. While you are perfectly able to disagree with him and have a respectful discourse involving your character, do not think that your character will be approved if you refuse to budge on anything. Just like any roleplay, there is a certain amount of give and take in an application review.

Please do not get angry with the helpstaff. They are volunteers who try to help you. More importantly, they are the ones who decide the fate of your application. Work with them, not against them.

Hey Keptu, SteelEagle here. Let me clarify a few things so you understand why you must work with us:

1- The eyes are an issue not because they are reflecting- which in Canterlot Chronicles are a bit unsuual, if not outlawed- but a symptom of some of the more mystical elements in the application. A mother that slips into the mist and more or less abandons her foal sounds like some sort of spirit or other supernatural being. This may simply be a trick of language and a flowery way of saying she abandoned him and that she was normal otherwise, but we need to make sure. The mother, his eyes, his abilities with pumpkins and the 'unknown' nature of the knowledge he has about the potential of pumpkins- we need to know these things so we know wjhether or not the character fits within the rules.

It may seem silly to you, but this is a structured roleplay environment. We need to know these things because as vexing as it may be, we don't want to develop a slippery slope. You are not applying for a single roleplay experience but a whole forum, so understand that we need the full 4-1-1 on your character.

2- Your Cutie Mark Story needs to explain to us how your character got his cutie mark from the character's own point of view. What you have is a tale involving him getting his cutie mark, not why he got it, why he got it then, or how he felt. We need to know about your character, not what others think, hear, or believe regarding him. This is simply so we can make sure it fits within the rules, and it should not be hard for you to do.

3- You may have missed the point that Bellosh is trying to get across, which I will chock up to language differences. You can play a pony who has abnormal social tendencies like your character, but the way he functions forces others to try to interact with him rather than it be a joint venture. It places the burden on the other player and frankly is a bit dull as well.

4- Also understand that Bellosh here is in charge of passing this app for approval. While you are perfectly able to disagree with him and have a respectful discourse involving your character, do not think that your character will be approved if you refuse to budge on anything. Just like any roleplay, there is a certain amount of give and take in an application review.

Please do not get angry with the helpstaff. They are volunteers who try to help you. More importantly, they are the ones who decide the fate of your application. Work with them, not against them.

Steel,

1. Animal eyes in ALL naturality will reflect light and will have that effect. There is nothing wrong with it.

2. His Mother would seem to "Vanish" simply because her coat color easily matched the darkness of the night and the mist helped to disguise her. She did not abandon him. She simply let him fend for himself as actual Ponies do. It is better than putting down that she ran him off while biting and kicking him, is it not?

3. There is nothing "Supernatural" about him being able to communicate with plants and encourage them to grow and do what Nature does naturally. Seeing as there are NO mind reader Ponies, naturally his knowledge would be unknown to everyone, what do you expect him to do write a book about it?

4. I do not understand anything about the Cutie Mark story, but I do understand that I really busted my hind and spent A LOT of time working on this Application. The Application called for the Cutie Mark story, the story was written, what more should there be to it? The Ponies where there to select Pumpkins for jack-o-lanterns, and he, out of a slight curiosity of what these Ponies were doing there and of what they wanted, encouraged the Pumpkins to grow so that they would not be stepped upon so easily.

5. Ponies should not be handed posts, they should have to work for them. Use their imaginations and guess at things, see the holes where they are left. I really hate for things to be simple, like you are asking. I like my Characters to be extremely complex and difficult to play and I would greatly appreciate it if I would be allowed to do so. I believe that it would be a rather educational experience for Ponies, seeing as they would be exposed to Body Language rather than just plain words. It is a rather important part of how actual Ponies communicate.

6. I understand that he has been put in charge of that. What I am asking for is for my Character to be allowed to stay as he is instead of trying to have me change him into something that I really would not want to RP him as. I do not want to have a simple, Vanilla Character, that would be EXTREMELY boring and rather pointless for me and honestly make me not want to RP.

7. I realize that I am speaking angrily, because I am, in all manners and matters, quite upset about it. I am not one to "Re-haul" my Characters or conform them to meet others standards. I would understand perfectly if this Character was a GM-RPC, but he is not. I will gladly edit things but I will not change what he is. Please try to see and understand things from my point of view as well.

1- I am going to combine your first, second, and third points here. Due to your poor use of words in the application, there was concern about whether or not these were supernatural elements. I am happy to hear they are not- now go clarify that with better use of language in your application. Bellosh may have other points to make regarding your answers

4- What you have suggested is a little better- clarify in your application and rewrite it to focus on your character and his POV. The elements about how other ponies react to him and what they think aren't disallowed, but they don't add to our understanding of him as a character or why he got that cutie mark. That is all we care about regarding the cutie mark story. It is not a difficult concept.

5- What I got out of this was that you don't mind if everyone else has to work to play with your character as long as you don't have to change what you like to do. That is blatantly unfair to others and seems marvelously selfish.

6- Doing what we request does not make him vanilla. It would make him a believable and interesting one as well as one that fits within the rules of the roleplay and lore we have set up. Changes will have to be made.

7- You apply for a standardized roleplay and you should expect to have to make changes. If you don't want to do this, the Free For All section is open to you and your character as we speak. Changes will have to be made otherwise.

I'll allow Bellosh to come back and speak. I suggest that you listen to what we say instead of arguing it, as you are no closer to acceptance now than you were earlier. Please check your attitude: You are in full control of the future of this application. Whether it passes or fails rests on you.

I'm sorry, but the thing that makes Canterlot Chronicles (and World of Equestria) stand out from the MLP landscape is that all those who play our structured games agree to follow a set of strict standards. These standards are designed to create a RP experience that ensure high quality posts and smoothly-running threads for our userbase; a userbase that prefers a more grounded game with enforceable rules over an "everything goes" area like Free For All.

The vibe I get from you is that you prefer "everything goes" instead of structure, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. If you do prefer "everything goes" however, then you'll have to realize that our structured RP areas will NOT be a good fit for what you want out of RP. You might like characters that are theoretically limited only by your imagination, but CC's userbase does not. While we here relish characters who have exceptional sword skills, or awesome unicorn magic spells, or any number of other things that can't be shown in an animated program for little kids (as long as such OCs don't become overpowered), we also strive to make sure that all characters here can logically exist in MLP's universe.

If you're serious about gaining entry into Canterlot Chronicles, then please make the effort to incorporate every single piece of feedback we give you. If you still don't want to make all the changes to your character that we've asked for, then there isn't anything more to discuss.

Steel,

1. Please specify parts that I need to "Clarify".

2. I have literally spent nearly every waking moment today to this application and getting rid of my old one so all this irritating henpecking would NOT happen. What you are asking me to do will take hours that I more likely than not will NOT have. I never wanted to create a Character Application in the first place, all I wanted to do was create a Character Log, which led to this overly complicated mess.

3. It is quite simple to see how he gained his Cutie Mark, the act of encouraging the Pumpkins to grow on their own accord and being successful in it.

4. There is nothing unfair or selfish about expecting to be held to the exact same standard that you yourself are held to. I expect quality from those that are in a "Structured" RP. Is that really too much to ask?

5. Taking a Wild Pony and changing him into a mere Farmer is in all senses, making him a Vanilla Character. Where is the Mystique and Mystery in a Farmer? Where is the Excitement? The Adventure? If he were to have his core changed like that I would NOT want to use him at all.

6. I am really doing my best here to understand and comply, but I have every right to argue the case for my Character, seeing as I ran quite a few of the things that are on this Application, i.e. the History, Personality and Summary past Miss Rarity. I am simply asking for you to understand things from my point of view as well and understand just how very frustrated, irritated and exasperated I am.

7. Apologies for expressing that in an Attitude, but what else am I to do?

Bellosh,

1. I understand that there are "Standards" that you consider Strict, but please understand that I came to have fun with my Characters and really rather expected to be having a lot more fun and enjoyment than this. RPing is about having fun, meeting people, and expanding your mindset.

2. As I stated to Steel, I never wanted to create an Application in the first place, all I wanted was to make a Character Log and wound up doing all this.

3. A RP Character is BASED upon imagination, so why should they not remain so?

4. The idea of Magical Talking Ponies in its own right is illogical, Multi-Colored Ponies are illogical, Ponies with Magically appearing marks on their hinds is illogical. What about My Little Pony is Logical? Why should there not be Wild Ponies?

5. As I have said, I am willing to edit things here and there. But, as I have more likely than not reiterated more than once, I would like to be told what PRECISELY needs to be done so and would also like to be given suggestions as to what I could replace it with. Asking me to rework my character really jerked a nerve with me Bellosh and I did not appreciate it in the least.

Steel and Bellosh,

Please understand that I do have trouble with English and will have trouble understanding some of the things you Say/ Type to me. I am asking for Patience and Understanding. I am currently Frustrated and extremely Exhausted with all of this, and I am sure that you both can understand why.

Before we do anything more, I just wanted to let you know that we let FFA users post character logs in Free For All's OOC forum. In the event that you get permission to post in the Log forum, ask a mod to relocate your FFA log over to there. Let us know if you still wish to continue with this CC app.

Alright. So... I've read your responses to both Steel and Bellosh and have felt the need to weigh in on this.

First off, I request that you please check your attitude at the door, especially if you realize you have one. Having an attitude with helpers doesn't do you any good. If you have an issue with anything any of us say, please do yourself and us a favour and take a step back before responding, and temper your response, so it doesn't come off as having a bad attitude. Having a bad attitude can only hurt you rather than help you.

That being said... From the perspective of Steel and Bellosh, they are only trying to help you adhere to the standards of the game that we have. Now from your end, you don't even need to go through this.

If your only goal is logs... then probably the best thing for you to do is utilize our Blogs. You can use FFA OOC, but those can be easily lost and buried, and the only dedicated Logs area is in WoE, which has rather very strict standards for entry.

However, you can use a blog for a character log. You can make it, have it easily accessible and even easily give a summation of each character of your own accord and style. You can even make multiple blogs, each dedicated to a separate character, posting entries for separate entries for a log. Personally, I see this as your best option, as it does not require you to create a character app, and is probably the easiest thing to do that will always be easily accessible even if you don't save a link.

Your other option is making an FFA OOC thread for a character log and linking it to your profile.

To answer your question, you linked to your open RP thread where it asks for your character log in your profile. Instead of going to a character log you have it set to go to an RP.

If you truly wish to see this to the end, please understand that you are a guest here, and negitive attitude is not appreciated. The more of a negative attitude that you have, the less people will want to help you. Some of us have more patience than others. So while you ask for patience, you must have some as well. We are willing to work with you, if you are willing to work with us, and snapping every time you hear any sort of criticism will not encourage anyone to put in any effort to help this character get approved.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Stars,

Please realize that the issues have been solved and that people have had time to calm down. There is no need to put in any further negative opinions on the subject.

Things are going to be sorted as they should be, and we are all guests here on the Internet. I shall reiterate that no further negative opinions or scolding or whatever are needed to be sent in my direction.

And in regards to the Edit I made in order to ask that question, I simply asked Miss Rarity as well as was provided the answer but did not have time to erase my Edit before you posted that.

Edit: It should not take three Ponies to get one Application done.

I'm glad to see you've calmed down, and you are taking the suggestions of my staff with dignity and grace. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be disrespectful to not only them, but other players who use our roleplay areas as well. They have also spent their precious time designing their characters to exist within the guidelines of this roleplay by making changes to their characters. This isn't an affront to creativity, but a collaborative respect to the rules of the game. You certainly wouldn't place a bowling ball on a Monopoly game board and declare it your token; it doesn't fit, and isn't nice to expect other players to deal with it for the sake of your own personal enjoyment. To expand on that metaphor, you would not expect other players to interact with a character that doesn't fit within the rules of the world for the roleplay type you have selected instead of the other type (Free for All) that is designed specifically so you don't have to make changes.

Yes, you are a guest here. I would appreciate that if you wish to play the game here, you respect the house rules. As I see you are taking steps to do this, you have my appreciative thanks.

I'm glad to see you've calmed down, and you are taking the suggestions of my staff with dignity and grace. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be disrespectful to not only them, but other players who use our roleplay areas as well. They have also spent their precious time designing their characters to exist within the guidelines of this roleplay by making changes to their characters. This isn't an affront to creativity, but a collaborative respect to the rules of the game. You certainly wouldn't place a bowling ball on a Monopoly game board and declare it your token; it doesn't fit, and isn't nice to expect other players to deal with it for the sake of your own personal enjoyment. To expand on that metaphor, you would not expect other players to interact with a character that doesn't fit within the rules of the world for the roleplay type you have selected instead of the other type (Free for All) that is designed specifically so you don't have to make changes.

Yes, you are a guest here. I would appreciate that if you wish to play the game here, you respect the house rules. As I see you are taking steps to do this, you have my appreciative thanks.

Greetings Rosewind,

I too am glad to have been able to have gotten the time to have calmed down. And I was really rather hoping that I was not the only one to have done so. When I speak, I never mean disrespect, I have simply spoken my mind as I have been taught to, nothing more and nothing less. But, I do expect to be helped not harped, and for an equal exchange to happen when it comes to being helped. Giving criticism without giving PRECISE help (And what I mean by Precise Help being i.e. suggesting exactly what I could replace precise areas that are considered problematic with and giving helpful hintings as to what precise locations need to either be added onto or edited.) is a good deal frowned upon within the Guilds of those that teach others how to RP and T-Style.

By pointing to an entire area, that only causes confusion unto me and hinders progress greatly. The Cutie Mark story for example. I took it to Miss Rarity and she was a great help unto me in Editing it into something better. And in all technicalities, if one were able to make a Miniature Metallic and Iron weighted piece that was the same size as the other pieces, one could in all matters claim that individual piece as their own, seeing as they had it specifically made for that purpose alone. And I have been respecting the rules to the best of my knowledge.

Right then, I'd first like to say that the reason you get unspecific advice is that you've written your app in an incredibly vague manner. When you stick too much mystery into an app instead of clearly explaining everything about your OC, don't be surprised if we can't offer you precise-enough feedback for your tastes. Also remember that it is not our job to write apps for users; that's unfair to both parties involved. We're too busy to always have to offer replacement ideas, and users won't get practice for themselves on how to adjust their characters to fit our standards.

That said, if you're still committed to seeing this through, note that it's going to take a while. You'll only be given one point at a time that you'll need to address, allowing more focus on a particular thing to make sure you understand what we ask of all Canterlot Chronicles OCs. First thing we'll go over is how exactly Jack is connected with pumpkins.

The reason you've yet to get exact feedback about that element is because you're not clear in explaining how it works. So you say Jack can communicate with pumpkins to get them to do things. However, two big questions have not been answered. Firstly, how can someone like Jack, who doesn't speak, communicate with pumpkins if non-magical plants in Equestria lack the cognitive functions that MLP's animals display? Secondly, what is the limit of Jack's ability? Can he make pumpkins grow to full-size in minutes? Make squished pieces of the fruit reassemble themselves to make a complete pumpkin again? Unless you give us the exact specifics on what Mr. O'Lantern, we won't have enough information to approve of these abilities.

Once this element is taken care of, we'll move on to something else. But before you reply and make further edits, read the CC Rules carefully. Note in particular that we will not permit Jack to have growing abilities that outclass those of an important cast pony like Applejack. We don't want users in CC to question why AJ can't make apple fruit grow fast just by doing nothing but talking to them, while someone else can do that with a different plant. Users in our structured RPs need to be able to have their OCs share the spotlight with others, instead of trying to hog it through powergaming (which isn't really an issue here) or going excessively out of the way to avoid "being vanilla".

Bellosh,

Please tell me that you have heard of the Green-thumb.

Jack O'Lantern would be one of the ones that have the "Green-hoof" in a rather well connected case.

Seeing as he was not only born around the plants themselves, but also raised and learned of them, it would give him a MUCH deeper connection to them than Apple Jack would have to the apples seeing as she also explored other things. Jack O'Lantern never did that. He focused solely on what fascinated him the most, which was Pumpkins. He was not socialized with other Ponies besides his Mother so it made him seek that socialization within what he knew best, again, which was Pumpkins and Plants. And it has technically and scientifically been proven that if one were to either speak or play music for/to certain varieties of plants they grow bigger and faster.

Which is why certain plants in homes that are constantly filled with people that are properly cared for and are exposed to constant speech and/or music with lyrics are much much bigger than others that were not exposed to such. I myself have preformed this experiment and confirmed these results. So, seeing as Equestria is much more...."magical" than the real world, it can only be assumed that nature would progress much faster if spoken to, encouraged and coaxed, which is precisely what Jack O'Lantern does. He does not "make" any Plant grow, he simply encourages them to do what Nature itself would do, but to do so even more so. He has no ability to make anything do anything, he simply gives them the proper encouragement and coaxing to do what Nature will do naturally (i.e. reform, repair, enlarge, ect).

Bellosh,

Please tell me that you have heard of the Green-thumb.

Jack O'Lantern would be one of the ones that have the "Green-hoof" in a rather well connected case.

Seeing as he was not only born around the plants themselves, but also raised and learned of them, it would give him a MUCH deeper connection to them than Apple Jack would have to the apples seeing as she also explored other things. Jack O'Lantern never did that. He focused solely on what fascinated him the most, which was Pumpkins. He was not socialized with other Ponies besides his Mother so it made him seek that socialization within what he knew best, again, which was Pumpkins and Plants. And it has technically and scientifically been proven that if one were to either speak or play music for/to certain varieties of plants they grow bigger and faster.

Which is why certain plants in homes that are constantly filled with people that are properly cared for and are exposed to constant speech and/or music with lyrics are much much bigger than others that were not exposed to such. I myself have preformed this experiment and confirmed these results. So, seeing as Equestria is much more...."magical" than the real world, it can only be assumed that nature would progress much faster if spoken to, encouraged and coaxed, which is precisely what Jack O'Lantern does. He does not "make" any Plant grow, he simply encourages them to do what Nature itself would do, but to do so even more so. He has no ability to make anything do anything, he simply gives them the proper encouragement and coaxing to do what Nature will do naturally (i.e. reform, repair, enlarge, ect).

As the resident scientist (and yes, I often do this with apps where science is brought up), I have to tell you that you are incorrect. There have been studies on the correlation, but correlation is NOT causation. Honestly, science doesn't know if it IS in fact the talking OR the music that positively affects plant growth. The studies have just shown that things with rhythm positively affect plant growth. Also those same studies have shown that it is more the rhythm than the content too. Things with dynamic rhythm have a better affect than anything else. But in the end... leading botanists agree on one thing... while talking or music MIGHT be able to help, proper care (ala AJ) with minerals, water, sunlight and the like, will do better for the plant than singing to them, talking to them or playing them music. There is NO DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE for this hypothesis that talking OR music positively affects plant growth (again studies showing a correlation does not prove causation).

Also plant's abilities to have limitless cell proliferation does NOT extend to complete destruction. A smashed pumpkin will likely die and ANOTHER will bud in its place on the vine. But they won't repair as if by magic. A destroyed pumpkin might allow for other things to thrive from it's metaphorical ashes or even another pumpkin plant will grow in it's place, but that's about it.

Furthermore, and this is highly important, even IF science does prove that music/talking can positively affect a plant's growth 100% (and not something that the two share like dynamic rhythmic vibrations), that still doesn't help this app, since your OC can do neither. You have to be able to explain HOW he achieves this affect without being to talk or play music.

To end, I'm going to repeat what I said before... "We are willing to work with you if you are willing to work with us." Arguing with every recommendation is NOT working with us, instead all it does is impede the process.

-StarSwirl

As the resident scientist (and yes, I often do this with apps where science is brought up), I have to tell you that you are incorrect. There have been studies on the correlation, but correlation is NOT causation. Honestly, science doesn't know if it IS in fact the talking OR the music that positively affects plant growth. The studies have just shown that things with rhythm positively affect plant growth. Also those same studies have shown that it is more the rhythm than the content too. Things with dynamic rhythm have a better affect than anything else. But in the end... leading botanists agree on one thing... while talking or music MIGHT be able to help, proper care (ala AJ) with minerals, water, sunlight and the like, will do better for the plant than singing to them, talking to them or playing them music. There is NO DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE for this hypothesis that talking OR music positively affects plant growth (again studies showing a correlation does not prove causation).

Also plant's abilities to have limitless cell proliferation does NOT extend to complete destruction. A smashed pumpkin will likely die and ANOTHER will bud in its place on the vine. But they won't repair as if by magic. A destroyed pumpkin might allow for other things to thrive from it's metaphorical ashes or even another pumpkin plant will grow in it's place, but that's about it.

Furthermore, and this is highly important, even IF science does prove that music/talking can positively affect a plant's growth 100% (and not something that the two share like dynamic rhythmic vibrations), that still doesn't help this app, since your OC can do neither. You have to be able to explain HOW he achieves this affect without being to talk or play music.

To end, I'm going to repeat what I said before... "We are willing to work with you if you are willing to work with us." Arguing with every recommendation is NOT working with us, instead all it does is impede the process.

-StarSwirl

Stars,

Please, you are NOT helping in this by bringing aggression. Everypony is trying to stay calm in this and nopony needs to be stirring things up AGAIN. As I said in my post above, I have preformed my own study in that field and have found that it is indeed correct. I tested it to the point of complete obsession during my High School days, making usage of the Science Labs and the Sound Proof Musical Practice rooms. Please do not try to argue with me on something that I devoted four years of my life to.

And to correct your assumption, any plant that has been damaged, i.e. smushed or smashed in a slight way (i.e. being dropped or kicked), can reform itself, even if only slightly. This too I have tested for myself. As long as there is no damage to the Root or Vine, a Plant will do everything it can to continue to thrive and survive. Please stop in your attempts to belittle my knowledge of things. And also, please stop trying to tell me what my own OC can and cannot do, this is again an OC and as I have stated over and over and over again, he cannot "make" anything do anything. Stop making it look like he can because he CANNOT.

And I will also tell you again, that I am not trying to "argue" with every so called "recommendation". I simply point out things I find off seeing as I have been taught to speak my mind and find no problem in doing so. Everyone was behaving calmly until you came in here with aggression and saw fit to put up an attitude with somepony that was trying to have a calm and decent conversation with a completely different Pony.

Ignoring real-life science, we've never seen any ponies in MLP with the ability to encourage non-magical plants to grow faster, because such plants are shown to be incapable of directly responding to vocal communication. To suggest otherwise in an app is to create Lore, which as you've read in the CC rules, is expressively prohibited. In order for Jack O'Lantern to be approved for use in Canterlot Chronicles, you will have to agree to remove your OC's ability to encourage plants to grow/regenerate/et cetera. If you choose to have your OC keep this overpowered ability, you will receive no further feedback from the Roleplay Helpstaff, and all efforts to help Jack O'Lantern get approved as a CC character will cease unless you change your mind.

I've seen enough here. My volunteers are trying to help you by providing you with information and giving you feedback with as much professional grace and dignity as possible. Part of the application process is not just a practice of fleshing out a character, but ensuring the player possesses the ability to collaborate and communicate with other players.. Since several of my volunteers have been unsuccessful to this end, it's clear you're not quite ready to play with others in this specific environment.

To that end, this character is now approved for play in Free for All. You may enjoy play there, and perhaps you will gain a better understanding of how roleplay works here. In doing this, you may learn how player conduct is not only a process of collaboration, but one of communication, understanding, and willingness to take suggestions with grace and respect, rather than with implied effrontery. My volunteers are quite busy, so for now, please enjoy our free section. Perhaps in time, you may give this process another go once you understand our different roleplay areas better.

This is the end of the matter.

sPGOGNs.png

Archived