Just another calm day... no way it'll last.

Ashton

Twilight frowned "You know I never touch the Sake..." she said "well... not lately anyway..." she admitted "I don't know, everything about that seems really hazy and misplaced, almost like it happened to some pony other than me" she shook her head in frustration

Twilight was watching and listening, hanging on every word that the pegasus said, ever since she got here, something didn't seem quite right about how she talked, Twilight wasn't going to say anything, especially with AJ nearby, but she was starting to get a little suspicious...

"Well" said Twilight "I think we need to start by reviewing the relevant experiments and their theories, then we can look at how those can be modified" she said with a smile as she floated over a book that was a log of experiments by star swirl the bearded "This is most of them... there were a few more but I'll have to get that logbook from canterlot" she said, not explaining that it contained the more gruesome experiments and wasn't available to the general public...

AppleBanner_zps8c0524a4.png

Applejack envied her friend a bit since she couldn't remember everything that Applejack could. The way the cocoons felt, the slimy exterior working itself intelligently into very fold of your body until it was inside of you and from inside it kept on moving. All day every day she felt it around her, in her, part of her, under her eyes and on top of her brain, in her blood- she had nightmares about it still. None of that even counted the mental terror of feeling yourself being collapsed brick by brick by a malevolent force as day and night blended together into one horrorscape. Add on her horror at knowing she had failed to protect hearth and home and it was the worst experience of her life, superseding whatever else had come before. Anything else.

"Well, y'all have fun playing mad scientist together. Just make sure that if anything explodes or goes wild it does so in yer basement. Don't wanna have a super powered changeling running 'round OUTSIDE, heh. That'd be hard ta bring down," Applejack offered up playfully as she scanned the books on her own. She had asked Twilight for help but Applejack figured that once Twilight had her mind wrapped around something as lofty as changing the ways of changelings, there was little hope of reversing her course back into normal conversation. Could be worse. She could be entirely focused on everything that ever came up, a debilitating condition if Applejack ever imagined one. After some searching Applejack found the book, putting on her head as she trotted to a nearby seat.

"Thar ya are! Can't hold yer secrets from me any longer!"

‘Spring Breeze’ wasn’t the best equipped for this kind of study, having next to no experience with magical research, but she’d already come this far so it was no time to quit. She gingerly took the book which Twilight had levitated over and set it on a nearby table, she wasn’t so much worried about the condition of the book as it just wouldn’t do to let a princess’ belongings get damaged. She began to flip through it, oblivious to the sidelong glances she was getting from Twilight. Her brow furrowed as she looked through the book, all of the details and methods being beyond her understanding. “Erm…I might need something a little simpler to start…” she said embarrassed. While ‘Spring Breeze’ was comfortable with her own inexperience in this regard, she hated being the weak link in something she herself had started.

Applejack’s comments about keeping anything explosive in the basement distracted her for a moment. “Is the basement reinforced?” she thought aloud. It seemed risky to test inside a house, much less one belonging to a princess. Or containing so many books. ‘Spring Breeze’ looked over at Twilight. “Surely you can do better than that, Isn’t there an empty valley near Ponyville? Might be a bit…safer than trying anything inside your house. Or anywhere else in town, really.” Applejack had inadvertently brought up another good point. “How could you do any tests at all, for that matter? I mean…changelings aren’t just gonna walk up and say 'hi'.”

Twilight rolled her eyes "Applejack..." she said "You of all ponies should know how strong it is, after all you helped me put up the new steel plates after the last ones shattered" she said, then looking over at Breeze "oh it's plenty safe, if you didnt notice most of the houses near the library are vacant... it seems like when I moved in the property value started dropping... I guess nopony wants to live near me!" she laughed "and my lab is state-of-hte-art, actually it's better since Celestia herself gave me some new spellcraft-reductant paint to use on the walls from her own R+D center - it's not even avalible to the public yet!" her eyes sparkled

"Well, that's about the easiest book, I'll have to take a trip to canterlot to get the others... I wish spike were here, he could just teleport a request to the princess and she could send them back, but I don't know where he scampered off to..." she shook her head "he's probably over at Rarities... little casanova" she giggled

Well, at least by Twilight’s description, ‘Spring Breeze’ could only assume it was safe. At least in a manner of speaking. She didn’t envy the pony who actually conducted the experiments, but the town wouldn’t be harmed should anything go wrong. And if Ponyville wasn’t in any unnecessary danger, who was ‘Spring Breeze’ to tell a princess what she could or couldn’t do, even one so informal? “That sounds very useful,” the false pegasus said eventually. “Though it wouldn’t cover the issue of having nothing to test on…” She muttered half to herself.

Hearing Twilight ask where Spike was, 'Spring Breeze' almost volunteered to go search but stopped herself. She wasn't sure she could manage the authority to make the little dragon return with her.

‘Spring Breeze’ turned her attention back to the book in front of her. Apparently this was the simplest of the relevant books the princess had. That was disheartening. 'Spring Breeze' didn't want to give up, but she wasn't sure how much of a help she'd be without the relevant skills. Her brow furrowed in concentration for a moment. Flipping through a few pages, she was able to make sense of some of the conclusions. Well, maybe there was one thing she could do. “I think,” she said eventually, “that the best I could do is borrow this book for a couple days, and come back with what does and doesn't look promising. If you'd let me.” Unless the princess had a specific idea in mind, 'Spring Breeze' thought this was most she could reasonably manage.

Archived