A Night in the Iron Saddle [PM for Invite]

GhostGirl

There's a mysterious little bar in Stalliongrad that always seems to be just two left turns from anywhere, no matter where one might be in the great, big city. Snow is always falling lightly on the sidewalk immediately in front of the bar, even if it's sunny out, and the pull towards the bar that many feel doesn't ever seem to start until the bar opens at five in the afternoon, every day. The sign, marked as the Iron Saddle by the emblem of a saddle on an anvil (as though it were being forged), swings idly in the breeze, even on a day with no wind. The door is green.

Everypony who walks into the bar is enveloped by a warm fuzzy feeling. Most attribute it to the fire roaring in the open hearth in the center of the room, though a few recognize it as something a little more magical than that. Nigh always lounging by the fire is a large, dark-furred, shaggy dog, an ovcharka named Vityas, and then there's the other permanent fixture of the bar: Fable la Fey.

The light shines on her behind the bartop itself in such a way that she looks almost angelic. Her velvety purple coat sometimes shimmers with a hint of lavender, and her mane the color of stormclouds will show silver sometimes. She is, perhaps, the most mysterious thing about the bar, with her thick Fet Loch accent and her smooth voice. She always seems to know what everypony wants, even before they know, even if they're new.

On this day it was five in the afternoon, and the bar had just opened. Fable la Fey was, of course, behind the bar, wiping away the last of a cleaning solution as she awaited the arrival of her first guest.

• 5 weeks later...

A stallion named Copper enters a bar in Stalliongrad, clad in his signature desperado cowboy hat and duster, weary and chilly from dredging around in arctic north around the city. Copper didn't trust trains enough to ride them, he never really could trust the marketed safety of the locomotives, and besides, hiking was a healthy sport.

Copper was a traveling lone wolf, going wherever the wind blows, always offering a helping hoof to whomever needs it, no matter how dangerous it was. This was one of those times, as Copper had received a plea from an anonymous mare down in Canterlot that had been robbed recently by a well-known thief in Equestria, and his sources from trustworthy friends in other cities had pointed him here.

Copper had a description, a name, and a general location, but he definitely needed more in order to bring this guy to justice. He considered meeting another one of his contacts, but really, the guy didn't know somepony was tailing him, and would likely hide out in the town for longer than a few hours. Copper needed a place to rest his legs, grab a drink, and get info on the pony's whereabouts, if the barkeep was willing to share or had any to start with. What better place than the local tavern?

Copper walked into the establishment like he lived there, which was the closest to the truth you could ever be, as he frequents any bar or tavern in any city if he gets the chance. He was little known in Stalliongrad, however, as he rarely comes up to the frosty, snow-ridden city. Copper gazes around the room behind his desperado, making out quite few patrons at the tables, and a very lovely barmare up at the front, wiping a cloth along the surface of her counter. Copper had to admit, she was a sight to behold, from her soft-looking coat down to her luscious mane and tail, almost losing himself while he stared at the mare before shaking his head. He had two job to do, one involving theft and the other involving alcohol and a place to rest his tired body.

Copper trotted up to the counter, taking one last gaze at the form of the barmare before averting his eyes, took up a stool, and sat down in front of her, only the counter being in the way between the two. Copper took his hat off, levitating it from his head to the seat next to him, he was always told it was rude to wear a hat indoors. He then cleared his throat, acting as if he wasn't checking her out a few moments, and spoke up to the mare.

"Quite the weather out there, huh darling? Quite frosty out, but the snow is quite something to look at around these parts. Anyway, I'll take a bottle of whiskey with a glass, miss...?"

Fable la Fey didn't look up from her work as she heard the door open. No, she continued to wipe away the cleaning solution, set the towel to the side, and started moving... something around on the shelves behind the bar. In the back of her head, though, she was dancing for joy as she absorbed the admiration the new arrival was sending her way. Fable breathed deep as she felt the welcome, familiar tingle of love rushing toward her. Her vision fizzled around the edges as she heard the stallion walking towards the bar, returning to normal as he sat down.

While the new arrival removed his hat, Fable smiled demurely and pulled a glass up onto the bartop, lifting up a bottle of Johnny Trotter just as he began to speak. The mare took to polishing a wine glass as she waited for him to finish speaking, and continued polishing through her response. "You get used to the chill the longer you're here, dear..." At this she looked up and batted her eyes. "And you can call me Fable... Rocks? Or are you a neat whiskey sort of stallion?" She smirked, and her eyes didn't leave him as she waited for his response. Her methods had been honed over years of practice, and she needed the nourishment. There'd been a certain lack of regulars and lovestruck first-timers the past week.

Copper could feel it in his bones, his very being, when the mare spoke up. He had met many different characters over the years, some with unique personalities and bright auras about them, to some pretty messed up ponies with little to no soul. This mare though, he couldn't place it, but she had that feeling about her. That she was... different than most mare, for better or for worse. It was just a skill you adopt after traveling the world for as long as Copper did.

Copper, however, couldn't care less at this moment, really, his trip up here took a lot out of him and all he wanted to do was let some stress off, just drink some alcohol and forget his problems. Just for a little bit, then he really had to finish what he needed to do.

Despite her output of strangeness to Copper, the mare known simply as Fable didn't seem rude, neither was she overly friendly, she seemed like she was just doing her job, cleaning glasses and serving drinks. One thing she was though, or perhaps it was just Copper's imagination, but she seemed to be a bit... flirty with him. Did she notice him staring at her, even though he didn't see her staring back? It was... weird really, either she was like this with all stallions who came in, sampled some of the stock, or something else was at play here. Magic? Copper couldn't tell, but he couldn't care enough to ask about it.

Copper simply smiled back at the mare, hanging between wanting to flirt back, or take his drink to another table. Copper never really had a relationship he could keep because of his work, never really wanting a long-distance relationship, or staying in one place. It was something Copper had to think about more. Copper continued to notice the slight hints she was giving him, the looks giving him enough to go on. The mare was something to look at, that much was certain, and she was acting flirty with him, and Copper was feeling like talking with a pretty mare, despite her odd feeling. What was the harm, really?

Fable stared back into her eyes as she spoke, not breaking eye contact unless she did, keeping an amused smile on his face. After asking at his drink, Copper took a few moments of silence just staring back into those beautiful pools, simply lost in them before responding in his rough, slightly southern accent.

"Fable, huh? Quite a nice name for a lovely lass such as yourself. You can call me Copper, if you like. As for the drink, I take mine neat, straight-up whiskey. I prefer it that way, don't like a lot of flavour in my drinks. I like them natural. What about you, honey? What do you get when you're feelin' a little... frisky?"

Fable closed her eyes and allowed herself to be momentarily overwhelmed by the love directed at her. There were few other guests who were such fantastic sources of nourishment as this one. She doubted the emotion would be as strong next time he visited, though. It usually faded as the guests became more used to her. The ones who really loved her were the ones who traveled a lot. It was always a treat, literally, when they stopped in Stalliongrad. Sometimes she felt off, though. She didn't feed through deception, like the Changelings that attacked Canterlot, but she could never give some of these ponies what they thought they wanted from her. Not without revealing her true nature and possibly being ostracized and outcast.

No, she had to lead them on just enough to keep them wanting more, but not enough to think they had a chance. It was a hard life being a Changeling in a pony's world. She never stopped smiling though.

"Copper? It suits you." She exchanged the well-polished wine glass for a new one, opening her eyes once more. "I don't really indulge in my wares... At least not on the clock." A wink. "Ainsley, that is, the owner, he and I brew a stout that we sell here. I rather like that, myself. And sometimes I'll pour an Old Crow Bourbon. My tastes are for the simpler things."

The door to the Iron Saddle exploded.

While this wasn't the first time such an event had occurred, one could say that this go-round involved more...style. Gold, crimson and icy blue sparks shimmered through the air in a fiery haze, a swirl of flame revealing a young mare with a bright red coat, and a mane and tail to match. Striding out of the fantastical and non-lethal inferno, Blaze Bright strode confidently into the Iron Saddle bar. The trip to Stalliongrad had been perfectly plotted and planned. Since a particular adventure, and since before her birthday, the filly, who had become a mare in the birthday since, was searching, and searching, and found her quarry. A very interesting, very attractive looking barmare.

"Ms. Le Fey!" Of course, Blaze was in it for the company, and the exotic drinks. They couldn't be beat.

And interestingly, she saw a not-so-attractive stallion conversing with her. But Blaze ignored the prick of annoyance. She could weather the strangers to satisfy her mild infatuation.

"And a good even to you, sir," Blaze nodded her head in Copper's direction.

Mild infatuation was an understatement. Fable could tell Blaze was on her way in before the unicorn had even started prepping her spell to burst down the door. The edges of her vision fizzled again as she adjusted to the heightened levels of love in the area, sight returning to normal once more as Blaze approached the bar.

"Now, now, Blaze Bright! You should really stop breaking that down. I have to replace it often enough when you don't stop in." Fable grinned at the unicorn and gave her a look that could cause a heart to skip a beat (and had). "Sit down, darling, and I'll get you a Fireball double." Her last encounter with the unicorn had been brief, but she'd absorbed enough sustenance from that "love at first sight" to last her a month. If she could cultivate this crush into full unrequited love, she'd have a more steady food supply... Hopefully anyway.

She bustled about and poured the double shot of Fireball for Blaze, pushing it towards the unicorn as she finished, but keeping the bottle nearby for refills.

"So, Blaze, what brings you back to my cozy little bar?"

Copper was no stranger to explosions in his line of work, although a little more rare to come by depending on the situation. Even if such a thing were to happen, Copper's expertly honed reflexes were to translate to the source, doing whatever he needed to do if such a thing happened near him. Copper couldn't tell if the blast was meant for him or not, as he had made a few enemies across Equestria in his years. If they had managed to find him here of all places, or even worse, an ambush from his target, he would have a tough time to protect himself and Fable in the state he was in.

Copper didn't expect something like that to happen unless the mare from Canterlot tricked him to come here, perhaps working with the enemies that he made. Although the mare seemed genuine and friendly, there was no guarantee that was the case. Whatever it was, Copper just had to act in the couple of seconds he had.

Copper had to do just that as the door was torn to splinters by a magical blast by an unknown source. Acting purely out of instinct, Copper proppeled himself off his bar stool, drawing his dagger from the left flap of his duster in his magic, and instantly found himself in front of the barmare, protecting her from any potential danger that might come from the vaporized door. He was always meant to protect and help ponies, so that was his motivation to come to Fable's aid. That or maybe a small part of him wanted to impress her. Either, or really.

From within the smouldering pile of rubble and dust was a young mare who looked like she recently took a ketchup bath or something, as she was red from the tips of her hooves to the top of her horn. Copper did not know this pony at all, he didn't recognize her whatsoever, but that didn't mean he should let his guard down. Copper kept his ground, never keeping his eyes off the mare or his knife until he knew she didn't come here to cause trouble.

"Ms. Le Fey!"

The mare had called out to the female bartender, apparently knowing her enough to garner a last name. Fable Le Fey, huh? Interesting. The red unicorn apparently knew Fable, perhaps they were friends? A regular to the bar? If so, why did she break the door down. Copper lowered his knife slightly while keeping an eye of the mare. He also moved slightly out of the way of Fable, but not too far away.

"Now, now, Blaze Bright! You should really stop breaking that down. I have to replace it often enough when you don't stop in."

"Sit down, darling, and I'll get you a Fireball double."

Copper was thoroughly confused at this moment. Apparently she did know the mare, and had even given her... the same... look as she did... for Copper.

Well, at least now Copper knew what kind of mare Fable was, and now he was more interested than ever to go sit at the farthest table and drink his days away. Did she really do this with every customer who came in? Was she just a lonely mare or a complete floozy? Pair that with the aura of mysteriousness she had and you got somepony you would want to relate yourself with at all, if it was the latter. If she was lonely, that was fine, but there were other ways of doing it than by throwing half-lidded eyes and sultry tones to everypony you meet, even mares, but Copper wasn't one to judge a pony to what gets their juices flowing.

Copper didn't deem to pony as threat and simply sat back down at a few seats away from his original spot, grumbling slightly to himself as he plopped his desperado back on his head and started to pour the bottle of Johnnie Trotter he almost nearly forgot about into his empty glass. When the glass was nearly at the top, Copper slammed the shot into the back of his throat, relishing the soothing taste of the alcohol before filling it back up again as if it was the only thing he cared about at the moment, which it very much was. He just wanted to get a few shots in before getting on with his life and finding that thief.

Copper was the type of stallion that could really hold his liquor, taking him nearly a bottle of the strong stuff before getting hit with its side effects. He had lived long enough to control his emotions and not let the alcohol be his mouthpiece, although he still struggled on a particularly bad day.

After topping off his drink, Fable turned to the two mares, wanting to greet the red one who had greeted him first, and maybe a slight jab at Fable for her... attitude lately. He couldn't just take it lying down, acting like a love-struck colt without seeing behind the veil of truth.

"Quite a show you put on just then, miss. Wish I had that kind of magical aptitude, but what can ya do? Names Copper, by the by. How did you manage to pull of that magical blast? Is it yer talent or are ya just the bookish type and read up on how to do it? I'm sure Miss Le Fey just loved it as well from her... enthusiasm of the display despite the property damage to a bar you don't even own, or maybe it was just Blaze Bright right here that caused her enthusiasm. Seen a lot of couples give that same look you just did to Blaze, including me, surprisingly enough. Or maybe I'm just a drunken old stallion that's lost his marbles, what do I know?"

Lift the glass, drain the liquid, refill the glass, rinse and repeat. Just a few more before getting back to it. Just a few more before finding that thief and then he can get a room and sleep the night away. Just a few more. Lift, drain, refill, repeat.

Archived