OOC: The Strange Case of Dr Twilight and Ms Midnight

Ok, so I've been told over and over that I need to put out OOC threads for my plots before I start them... so here goes...

Twilight's been experimenting with spells that allow her to see and eventually visit alternate realities/parallel dimensions/etc. Unfortunately, one of these spells backfires and an alternate version of herself ("Midnight Sparkle") ends up hitching a ride with Twilight. At first our princess doesn't notice anything odd - Mid knows exactly how to keep herself undetected since she's also a Twilight. However strange things start happening, at first Twilight's misplacing things, such as spell components, then other ponies start reporting strange things stolen in the dead of night (a silver knife, a rage gemstone, etc). If anypony tries to capture the thief, said thief will display all the magic (and wings) that Twilight has, and likely get away. It turns out that Midnight has been working on putting together a spell to let her take over Twilight permanently so she can 'escape' to this world and has been assembling the ingredients for the spell. When it's revealed, the other players will have a tough choice - should they kill Midnight before she completes the spell? Banish her back to her own dimension? or let Twilight and Midnight work together to instead create a 'separation' spell that will allow Midnight to survive and escape, but without hurting Twilight. Fortunately, before the choice is made, Midnight coughs up astral blood and says she's too weak to continue, but thanks the others for even considering letting her life, then she vanishes from Twilight's mind, leaving it up to each player to decide for themselves whether Midnight was simply sucked back to her world, or was dead.

So, is anyone interested?

Well, I haven't had any RP characters until recently, and even so I rarely look at the OOC areas. I do have a question though. In this story, it sounds as though Midnight is in the same body as Twilight, am I right? Also, would this "alternate version" just be if Twilight did something different, or is Midnight a nega-Twilight?

Well, I haven't had any RP characters until recently, and even so I rarely look at the OOC areas. I do have a question though. In this story, it sounds as though Midnight is in the same body as Twilight, am I right? Also, would this "alternate version" just be if Twilight did something different, or is Midnight a nega-Twilight?

Yes, they share the same body.

Technically Midnight is Twilight as a Dark Pony (basically a vampire - looooong story) when taken over by midnight, Twilight's appearance changes to that of Midnight.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some interest in this, however there are a couple things making me hesitate at the same time: a) I'm still fairly new to this whole forum roleplay thing, and while 2 very active and 1 active thread isn't that many, it might be my limit for the moment and b) there's a lot about this idea that's been revealed up front. While I think I understand the advantages of doing that, it takes a lot of the mystery out of the idea and that makes it less appealing to me personally.

I. LOVE. THIS.

Thank you :D

I have some interest in this, however there are a couple things making me hesitate at the same time: a) I'm still fairly new to this whole forum roleplay thing, and while 2 very active and 1 active thread isn't that many, it might be my limit for the moment and b) there's a lot about this idea that's been revealed up front. While I think I understand the advantages of doing that, it takes a lot of the mystery out of the idea and that makes it less appealing to me personally.

It's fine, I know people who refuse to do more than _1_ thread at a time, everyone has their own pace.

I KNOW! Gawd I hate doing this! But I've had people tell me over and over and over that NOBODY will join my plots unless I reveal the plot and twists ahead so everyone knows what's going on. Personally given a choice I'd start ALL my threads with just "It was an X morning/night/etc" with absolutely zero information on where they were going... sadly as you might have noticed, this just leaves a lot of thread corpses lying around... (I think I have around 7 'current' dead threads right now between two sites)

I KNOW! Gawd I hate doing this! But I've had people tell me over and over and over that NOBODY will join my plots unless I reveal the plot and twists ahead so everyone knows what's going on. Personally given a choice I'd start ALL my threads with just "It was an X morning/night/etc" with absolutely zero information on where they were going... sadly as you might have noticed, this just leaves a lot of thread corpses lying around... (I think I have around 7 'current' dead threads right now between two sites)

Huh. Can't say I fully understand that attitude. I suppose it makes it easier to keep the thread organized, but it seems like it loses the mystery and improvisation that to me makes it fun. Ahh well, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Personally I think the ideal lies somewhere in the middle. Give just enough information to make it clear that something fishy is going on, while saying nothing about the underlying cause of it.

Anyways, if you do feel like starting this at some point and I'm out of some of my other threads, I'd give it a go. The one thing I'd ask is to have the ending not set, but rather to see where things go with who we get in the thread.

Archived