The Golden Age of Comic Books: A Mutants and Masterminds campaign. Interest and OOC here!

I may just assign Hearth's Warming as a super big national founding/new years day assuming one more person says something like "No Kirby, it's not a stupid idea. And that's a swell tie you're wearing."

I may put the fall of Nightmare Moon at an... earlier date? Something like five hundred years in?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excerpt from Historical Musical Perspectives of the Pony Culture by Perfect Song

There have been times that some ponies cultures have been lost in history, before the invention of inexpensive recording devices there have been many a song that was not passed down and has vanished to time. Some have been lost thanks to blending with the larger Canterlot culture that spread, others through moments of strife all the way back to pre-Hearth's Warming Eve....

... One such culture's traditions was thought to be lost at a rather late time for years, the bat-winged pegasi culture had stayed relatively separated in many ways from other ponies by their being awake when other ponies slept. When Nightmare Moon appeared, many of the pegasi allied themselves with the Nightmare. This had created a strain of distrust of the daytime ponies from their night dwelling brethren, forcing many into slums and even then police of the other ponies watching their areas, breaking up gatherings that formed. Many of these ponies did not actually see what Nightmare Moon hoped to do as what they desired, but when pressed, most still said they still followed their missing Princess Luna. Many said it, almost as if it was a private defiant joke between them all that they had made a promise.

It was found years after the bat-winged ponies had been accepted back into regular pony culture that there had been hidden speakeasies of the night ponies. Where they could not gather in public, to exchange music, dance, culture... they gathered behind hidden doors deep in caves and underground in guise of other store fronts. Where the day ponies music evolved, becoming elegant concertos and musicals, the night ponies had turned to smaller bands playing recreations of their old jigs and traditional songs, more suitable to dance and for drinking ponies to sing along with. It is here that we may have found that private joke's meaning from a song based on a previous classic jig. This version found is the first known recording of this song. It was found to be from a speakeasy in the bat-winged pegasi slum Dusk Gait, outside Thoroughbred City, named Night Vale. This rare recording for such an area was found to be made in the harsh winter of 512 HW where we first hear the howls of the bat-winged pegasi in what is still a popular pub song where the ponies of the night gather, where a pony exclaims out that "I Made a Promise to the Moon."

(Okay, I wasn't going to name the speakeasy Night Vale after the podcast where I discovered this weather... then I looked up the definition of vale and found one of it's other meanings is a farewell. That had to happen then.)

I may just assign Hearth's Warming as a super big national founding/new years day assuming one more person says something like "No Kirby, it's not a stupid idea. And that's a swell tie you're wearing."

That *is* a swell tie, and it's not a stupid idea.

I may put the fall of Nightmare Moon at an... earlier date? Something like five hundred years in?

However, I would remind you that Starswirl the Bearded was already old and teaching ponies during the founding of Equestria, and he was still around after the banishment of Nightmare Moon. I would suggest a shorter time frame on that. Not terribly short - he is wizardly material and probably has a longer life span than most. But maybe a hundred or two hundred years? Long enough for the old unicorns to die out, the princesses to be discovered, and still be growing up and kinda young for their responsibility...

And Azal -

That's *awesome*. I love what you're doing with the batwinged pegasus pony history.

The less obvious reference is **** Yankees. I would imagine the Equestrian version of the play has Discord, as opposed to, y'know, Satan.

Edit: Dear Princess Celestia, today I learned that the profanity filter on this site is so diligent and hardworking, that I can't use the proper name of a well known Broadway show. I.. guess I'm thankful?

In case you haven't noticed, right now is that special time of year where I don't care when you can get around to posting. You worry about this world later. It'll still be here waiting for you on December the 26th. So I just want to say thank you to all of you, players and those who skipped out a bit early, thank you for indulging my fever dream. You made me feel special. So Merry Christmas, Chanukah, Solstice, whatever and a happy new year!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you! Happy holidays and I love you all. <3

Bramble, Kirby assured me that you appreciate constructive criticism, so if you murder me, he's to blame.

I started reading the main RP thread and Morning Glory's color scheme rubbed me the wrong way :( With Kirby's blessing, I went to the Pony Generator. Mind you this is what roused me enough to actually log in to Canterlot for the first time in..........you get it.

MorningGlory.jpg

Archived