Dio's Build Log: Tyrfing Mk. 2 [WARNING LOADS OF PICTURES!]

Dio

So you've probably heard me go on about my new build in Skype or IRC. It's not complete yet, but I figured it would be cool to make a build log so I could document my progress in putting it together.

First, a spec sheet for the planned build:

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Other: Asus ROG Front Base

Other: Kingston HyperX RAM cooler

And now on to pictures and stuff. I'll be buying the parts over the summer as I get the money to do so, so here we go:

CPU: Intel i7 4790K "Devil's Canyon" @ 4.0GHz

5qv69CL.jpg

Chassis: Corsair C70

lpUIRRI.jpg

Onward!

After some deliberation, I did some rebudgeting. I'll be going with 8GB of the same G.Skill memory class, an Asus GTX 780 DC2U (not the Ti), and I will be reusing my SSD from my current rig instead of upgrading to larger capacity one. Everything else remains the same. This should leave room for future upgrades (such as extra RAM, larger SSD, expansion cards, or a second GTX 780 in SLI) while shaving off some of the base price.

Corsair H100i has been purchased and is in the mail. I'll be trolling the 4th of July sales this weekend to see if I can get discounts on the other parts.

Most major components have been purchased! The GPU, front multipurpose display panel, and wireless card remain to be purchased, but I will pick those up on the next pay cycle, seeing as I have an upcoming trip. A revised spec sheet has been edited into the OP to reflect my rebudgeting.

Newegg was having a RAM sale this weekend, so I picked up two sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws X. The red heatsinks should match the internal aesthetic nicely and they will give me plenty of tweaking room to play with based on their reported specs. I added the multipurpose display panel to serve as a fan controller, improved front audio link for my ATH-M50s, and for the cool factor; it'll fit nicely with the military theme for the C70 chassis.

I'll be out of town next weekend and the next payday isn't until the week after that, so I should be able to begin putting it together in about 2 weeks. Don't worry, I'll throw up some teaser shots of all the parts and such before I start ;)

New arrivals this past week while I was out of town:

http://i.imgur.com/eWLPGFfl.jpg

GPU, power supply, RAM, and DVD drive. The last piece of the puzzle is the wireless card (required because of the network layout of my house), which I will be ordering this week. Depending on arrival times, I may be able to begin assembly this weekend!

I'm going to try to do a proper build log photo essay this weekend. Until then, here's a sneak peek:

UM30tyhl.jpg

Feels good, man.

• 2 weeks later...

Front panel has been installed and I've been playing with the overclock settings. I'll try to get the full build log up later this week.

Archived