Fallout: Equestria - Desolation (Open to all who wish to join.)

NephoxVenom

Once the assault was over, Gadget was panting heavily around the bloodied shovel in his jaw. His ears twisted around for a moment to sense out any other threats. but relaxed when he couldn't. Then he heard the weezing voice of one of his newest comrades. "Oh! They did a number on you," Gadget hummed as he now limped closer to the two ponies. His eyes could only barely see what the situation was. But his nose told him all he needed to know. A mixture of thick fresh and non rotting blood was intermingled with the Unicorn. The pony dipped his nose down a bit further to nudge against the Unicorn's side. He was merely testing to see how much blood was lost, as well as to get a better look at the other pony's wounds.

"Welp~ Aint much you can do for a slit throat with first aid," Gadget hummed playfully as he dropped his bags to the metal floor, and began to sift through his supplies. Once he found what he needed, he pulled them out and gave them a curious look. While the pony was blind, he wasn't necessarily stupid. Shadow had actually tried to abandoned them. He couldn't really blame him though. This was a wasteland where the heartless lived. Not to mention this pony did show some obvious trust issues. Once again, Gadget couldn't blame him. Heck, his own past nearly turned him into a raider, even when his sanity is as warped as one. In fact, Gadget was looking down to the supplies as if contemplating if he was really willing to put the trust down, after wasting such precious and rare supplies.

But eventually, Gadget settled, and hobbled closer to Shadow. "You'd simply bleed... and bleed... and bleed. It's a really nasty way to die~. Gives you plenty of time to contemplate, and reminisce. But can't let that happen, can we, hm~" Gadget began in a sing song manner, as he slapped down a magic bandage onto the open wound. Unlike regular bandages, this one actually took effect almost immediately. It glowed brightly, and emited a long trail of thin smoke as it evaporated against the pony's skin. But in the process, it was mending the damaged tissues back together.

The pony then raised up a needle linked to his only stem pack. Though, the pony now was squinting as he was trying to distinguish what was pony, and what was just the ground. His hooves unsteadily shuffled around the air as he tried to find his mark, before finally slamming it down. Though, these little things were god sends. Shadow might not appreciate a big needle filled with healing juices being jammed square into his rear.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shadow grimaced, but didn't exactly react too much as the wound healed over from the bandage. He got up slowly and glared at the dead ghouls. He was Shadow, a feared bounty hunter that was known all over the Wasteland as the Angel of Death. He wasn't going to let pain do him in. He got up and walked to the ghoul on the metal. He sliced through its neck and beheaded it. He then walked over to Gadget and stuffed the head into his saddlebag. He offered a little grin, which was surprisingly genuine.

"Thanks for the assist... but I think your personality needs some work."

He really didn't want to stay with Gadget of all creatures and didn't intend on staying with him. Once they reached Tenpony Tower, Shadow was going to go off by himself. He walked away without another word and sighed a bit. Tehengu was alright and was actually good company. A lot better than that other one, that was for sure.

"When we get to Tenpony Tower, we part ways." He said, making it clear that this wasn't up for discussion. He had a mission to accomplish and he couldn't afford to be slowed down by two ponies who think it's a good idea to provoke a herd of ghouls. They could have hid, but no, they did the stupid thing and shot at the herd. He was in quite a lot of pain and was exhausted, but he wasn't going to rest. Nope, not a chance.

Well, that was taken care of. Gadget did a much better job at healing Shadow's wounds than he would have. Tehengu simply watched as Shadow trotted away somewhat, saying they were parting ways once they reached the tower. Fine by him, he had to find some work anyways. Where was the unicorn going though? Hadn't they stopped here to make camp? The griffon glanced at Gadget and shrugged slightly before following after Shadow, picking up and sheathing his greatsword without breaking stride.

Shadow sighed a bit as he forgot that they were going to camp there. It must have been the blind rage at the happiness that Gadget always seemed to have. He just seemed arrogant to Shadow. And arrogance isn't exactly a safe characteristic in the Wasteland.

He looked at the others for a moment, wondering if he could even stand another second with that insufferable fool. He wondered if maybe he should just go invisible and walk away from them. Tehengu wasn't that bad, though..."

He asked, "Tehengu, can I talk to you in private?"

Shadow and Tehengu walked out of earshot of Gadget, "Okay, you're a good companion, one of the only ones that I've ever had that I liked. As you can now see where this is going, I don't know if I can stand being near that... other one."

Tehengu nodded in response to Shadow's request to have a private conversation. He followed the pony until they stopped and Shadow spoke, saying he was one of the only companions that the hunter had liked. Shadow then said that he didn't think he could stand being around Gadget. The griffon looked back at the earth pony briefly before turning back to Shadow.

"I know what you mean. I've had ponies that I didn't think I would ever get along with. It was hard not to kill them outright sometimes." He said before shrugging. "What're you going to do though, you know? It's not like you can force them to change."

Shadow nodded, smiling a bit, "Alright, just making sure that I wasn't alone in that. I don't want to be an asshole for no reason or anything, so it's good to know that it's not just me. Oh, and... when we get to Tenpony Tower, I don't mind if you want to stick around. Though, if you want to part ways, that's fine by me."

Time and time again, the two keep forgetting how well Gadget's ears operated. The pony knew the two were a distance ahead of him. It didn't take his ears to figure that much out, but his eyes could spot the distance between them. But, their speech between each other. Caused the pony to raise a brow. He remained silent and kept his head twisting around as if to listen for the next signs of movement. And the more he heard, the more the pony's eyes narrowed. A seething hatred now growing in his heart. He could easily give the command, and his turrets would open fire on the two. They might know what they are at this point. But not quite what they are capable of doing if the pony really wanted somepony else dead.

And all it took was the last sentence to fall on his sensitive ears. The pony stopped dead in his tracks, and raised his head up so he could look to them from the distance. He seriously began contemplating giving the command. His eyes glancing to the turret that was hovering beside him. Just one tap of a button, and the two are marked as enemies. Another tap of a button, and he can easily make the turret's fuel cells self destruct, and vaporize everything to tatarus.

Killing them would be easy. He kept telling himself. Too easy when they don't believe he'd betray them.

"Hm... now starting to regret wasting such precious supplies..." Java thought to himself. His own wounds were still present. From the slaver's caravan, to the horde of ghouls. He even tried giving them a proper warning. He stayed to fight, and provided the largest support out of a team of one shot rifles and blades. And this is how they repay him?

The pony's teeth now curled up as rage started to flow through his viens. His hoof already moving to send the commands to Pulsar. But a voice in the back of his head stopped him. The very same voice that saved him from becoming a raider so many years ago after his capture, and them driving him into insanity.

"I know it hurts. And killing everything and everyone may seem tasteful in revenge and hate. But it's not worth the effort."

The voice echoed, in his head. And eventually he lowered his hoof. Instead, he turned around and began limping away from the two without a word.

Tehengu raised an eyebrow as Shadow took his words to mean they were on the same page. Sure, Gadget was annoying sometimes, but he wasn't that bad. Shadow also offered to let him stick with the hunter when they got to the tower. He spared another glance at Gadget, and saw that the pony had begun moving away from the two of them. Where was he going? Wait... Oh that's just great. Tehengu sighed as he remembered Gadget's exceptional hearing. The pony probably heard everything.

"We'll see." He said in response to Shadow's offer. After that he gave the unicorn a friendly smile before taking to the air to catch up to Gadget. He landed in front of the pony before speaking.

"Hey... Umm... I know you heard that little conversation. I just wanted to tell you that I wasn't referring to you at all. You're actually kind of nice to be around most of the time... I needed something to make my day a little brighter, and you do that with your antics... Well, most of them anyways." He said a little sheepishly to the pony. He didn't really like admitting this, but he didn't want Gadget to think he hated him either.

Gadget kept walking even after hearing wings take to the sky. His ears followed the sound till it landed next to him. But even then, the pony didn't bother to stop walking for a few more paces before finally coming to a stand still. Gadget rolled his damaged eyes, and looked over his shoulder to the griffon. His eyes were glowing for a moment as the pipbuck's screen became active. While the pony didn't actively have a gun held, he was merely using the pipbuck's targeting system to temporarily clear up his sight to take a look at the griffon while he spoke.

The glow lasted for only seconds, before it finally flickered and disappeared like a dying light. The pony decided to go ahead and let the Griffon humor him. Figuring that the griffon probably had some worth while insight. But turns out he was wrong. Giving this avian the benefit of a doubt was again more time wasted and fuel for the fire.

Almost immediately, Gadget whirled around on his hooves to face the griffon. His snout pressed against the others beak. "WASN'T REFERING TO ME," the stallion snarled out. His mood had quick changed from sour, to rancorous in a matter of seconds. His scared irises firmly locked into the other as he now took a step closer, to press against the griffon. "That's funny. HYSTERICAL! LOOK AT ME! I AM LAUGHING! Because typically when this type of conversation is initiated about a pony, that pony REMAINS THE SUBJECT."

The pony finally pulled away, his hooves now stamping at the ground in a prance, "But I guess I am wrong! I should just smile. Carry on. Be a good little stallion, and be ignorant! Because ponies talking behind a blind stallion's back think they can't hear them. Because his eyes don't work!"

Tehengu simply stood there sadly as Gadget whirled around and pressed his nose to the griffon's beak before going off. He stood his ground as the pony got closer, but otherwise gave no resistance. He sighed as Gadget pulled away and continued speaking. The pony was obviously angry, and understandably so. Tehengu rubbed the back of his head for a moment before speaking again.

"Look, I'm sorry about that, but I was referring to some of my past companions. Like I said, I enjoy your company most of the time, and I consider you a friend... Or as close to that as anyone can come with me..." He said to the stallion as he put his claw back down. "I don't want to lose you as a friend... I've lost too many of them already."

Shadow simply said, "I appreciate your help, Gadget, but I shouldn't let myself have friends. If I don't get close and instead be an asshole, I won't have anything to lose. You can either agree or disagree with that. Doesn't change the fact that we're in this Wasteland. No more friends for me. Not anymore. I guess I was put off by your happiness because you were being friendly. And... well, I don't want to get too close to anyone."

Shadow was regretting the decision to bring them along. At first he didn't care, but liabilities weren't what he had time for. His morality and character were not what he was worried about at all.

He then said, "I have a mission to complete, and it's bigger than this hellhole or anyone in it. But the more I look at this place, the more I wonder if the ponies and others even deserve salvation. No matter how delicately we put it, we're all evil in some form. We've all done things we're not proud of."

He then grimaced, "I'm talking too much now and I hate talking. It's safer to be a jerk instead of being yourself. Do whatever you want, but I have a promise to fulfill."

It was clear what Shadow was doing now. He was slowly pushing them away, for fear of getting too close and losing friends.

Shadow walked off without another word, his mind screaming for him to go back and apologise. No, he couldn't allow himself to have friends, not anymore. They slowed him down and he couldn't afford to be slowed down. Then why was he feeling guilty...?

The rage was still present on Gadget's expression. Though his eyes glew once more after the targeting spell was activated again. His eyes flickered around the Griffon for a moment, observing his behavior before the spell faded again. The pony stood still, starring at the Griffon. His thoughts now racing. He could just ignore everything he says, and leave. After all, the Unicorn was still proving to be rather ungrateful. But just as the Griffon said, he couldn't find one bit of evidence pointing to him refering to himself.

So finally the pony sighed. The look of annoyance was still present, but the pony decided to turn around and come closer to the Griffon. "I can't promise I won't put a bullet in your talon the next time you speak of anything like this..."

Tehengu sighed again at Shadow's words. Sure, that was one way to survive, but it really didn't help to talk about it now. Shadow seemed like he was purposefully pushing the two of them away. Wether for his promise or simply for fear of experiencing loss, it didn't matter. The griffon watched the unicorn trot away until Gadget brought his attention back to the earth pony. He smirked slightly at the words.

"Sounds fair to me." He said simply as he looked down at the stallion. At least it was the talon and not something more vital. Not that he was planning on talking like that again behind Gadget's back. At least the pony had accepted his apology, that was good.

Shadow felt bad for admitting that he hated Gadget's happiness and that he couldn't stand the guy for that, but there wasn't much he could do at this point. What's been said has already been said and can't be taken back. Though, Shadow should have kept quiet as he usually did, but it was the thought of having to be jealous of... he finally admitted it to himself. Shadow didn't hate Gadget, he was jealous. He was jealous that Gadget had retained his good nature, whilst Shadow was bitter and cold, calculating the pros and cons of saving a life.

And for that, Shadow felt terrible about himself, ashamed even. He may have been able to admit it to himself, but to the others? Not a chance...

Gadget's gaze then switched to the pony who was wondering off. Though he couldn't see him all to well, it wasn't hard to find the only sounds of moving hoofsteps. His eyes twitched momentarily after recalling everything the pony said. And then smirked. Death was really a mercy to this world. But the pony only chose to continue living because he had sights that he wanted to see. Wondering around aimlessly blind would make such a dream be only wasted time.

But following other ponies around just made it sound possible. "Mmm... I wonder if I should tell him that death is a mercy," Gadget hummed in an innocent tone. Loud enough for Tenghu to hear. The pony than began to chuckle, almost breaking into a near laugh. "Trust me. I'd rather be dead when I was made blind. Ah, every wonderful thing they made me do. I'd rather die. And now... I want to live. But why? Well, a blind pony wants to see the world, even when it's ruined. Not that I have much for it."

Gadget then raised his head up to call out to Shadow, "Do you really think it's worth it? That code they gave you. The Vault. Do you plan on opening it? Because a salvation you may give them, just may be bitter sweet."

Tehengu noticed Shadow moving away and sighed. Could this group stay together for once? Seriously. Gadget asked if he should tell Shadow that death was a mercy.

"I'm sure he knows, Gadget." Tehengu said in return before the pony continued, saying he had wanted to die back when he was blinded, and after what he was forced to do. Then Gadget said he wanted to live now, to see what was left of the world. Then he called out to Shadow, asking if the unicorn thought the code was worth it. Tehengu said nothing, simply awaiting Shadow's response.

Shadow chuckled a bit, still walking, "They always assume that it's for a stable door... but the less you know, the better."

He didn't say anything else, choosing not to throw them into a war they knew nothing about. The wasteland was bad enough, but there were some things that only single ponies should have to deal with.

Gadget watched the stallion grow farther away. His hoof now moving to rub his other leg. "I think we should follow him~" The pony began with a smile. Now that tenghu was much closer. He could see a little more behind Gadget's expression. It wasn't happyness that he was displaying. It was nearly pure insanity. The kind that usually plagues most of the raiders in the equestrian wastes. The kind that usually starts any pony into a terrible and cannibalistic life.

"He has a dedication like no other. But, I am afraid it will get him deep sixed~."

It seemed no response was going to come from Shadow. At least none that he could hear. Tehengu made an affirmative grunt at Gadget's suggestion that they follow the unicorn. He looked over at the mostly blind pony, and immediately saw that it wasn't exactly happiness displayed on Gadget's face. More like insanity. He'd have to watch out for the pony. He looked back to Shadow as Gadget continued speaking, saying he was afraid that Shadow's dedication would get him in trouble.

"Gotta stay true to your word. I mean, if you say you're going to do something, do it." Tehengu said simply before taking to the air to catch up with Shadow. Were they really abandoning the trains as a campsite? There really wasn't anywhere better nearby that he could see. When he caught up with the hunter, he slowed his flight to match the pony's speed, but didn't land yet.

Shadow stopped and looked out over the horizon with some binoculars. This was why he wasn't going to stay at the train cars. The noise had attracted some very unwanted guests. There was an entirely new herd quite a ways away from the train cars, but moving in on its position. The gunfire had attracted them towards their campsite. It was better to get some room between them and the herd.

He called out to Tehengu, "Wanna' take a look to see why sneaking is smarter than shooting first?"

Tehengu spotted the incoming herd, though he didn't know what it actually was until he looked through his scope. Great, more ghouls. Shadow asked him if he wanted to see why sneaking was better then shooting first. He lowered his rifle and looked down at Shadow.

"If I remember correctly, it was either you or Gadget that fired first last time." He said, now hovering in the air nearby Shadow.

"Mmm.. Could have been me? Maybe. Probably was," The stallion hummed with his head tilting, his eyes now tilting up to look at the sky for some train of thought. "Oh! Now I remember! Obelisk fired first. Than, Thengu! Then me! Then Shadow was using blades for the longest time before he started shooting!"

The pony stamped his hoof on the ground, and lowered his flank to the ground. "But! I don't suggest engaging~. I am out of bullets. Well! No that's a lie~ I a shotgun shell... but no shotgun. Or a match."

The pony then lowered his head down in displeasure, almost sorrow. "We should have searched those slavers before we left. We're in trouble, chief."

The pony then looked up, and narrowed his eyes dangerously to Shadow, "But don't blame anyone, sweetie. I warned everyone that it was a death trap."

"Mmm.. Could have been me? Maybe. Probably was," The stallion hummed with his head tilting, his eyes now tilting up to look at the sky for some train of thought. "Oh! Now I remember! Obelisk fired first. Than, Thengu! Then me! Then Shadow was using blades for the longest time before he started shooting!"

The pony stamped his hoof on the ground, and lowered his flank to the ground. "But! I don't suggest engaging~. I am out of bullets. Well! No that's a lie~ I a shotgun shell... but no shotgun. Or a match."

The pony then lowered his head down in displeasure, almost sorrow. "We should have searched those slavers before we left. We're in trouble, chief."

The pony then looked up, and narrowed his eyes dangerously to Shadow, "But don't blame anyone, sweetie. I warned everyone that it was a death trap."

Shadow scoffed, "Okay, for one, your 'looks' don't scare anypony. And for two, I'm not blaming anyone. So get it out of your head, friend. All we need to do is just keep on going. They'll be more interested in the piles of dead ghouls than the ponies who are in the distance and barely seeable. So... let's continue on, shall we?"

Shadow resisted the urge to chuckle at the look Gadget had just gave him. He then went in the opposite direction than the ghouls at a steady jog, going over a hill and getting out of the herd's view. He waited until the others came over the hill, then looked at the crowd of ghouls that were now very far away. Just as he had predicted, the ghouls didn't even notice them, but were now crowding around the bodies of their fallen brethren. Shadow got up and started to walk in the general direction of Tenpony Tower.

Archived